User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default ENTP or something else?

    A problem is that I'm better at figuring out other people than myself.

    E or I: I lean more towards E. More people tell me that I talk too much rather than that I talk too little. I often don't think before I speak. I'm the kind of guy who will make a joke or a comment which offends someone with an overly sensitive disposition. I'm comfortable with meeting people I've never met before and am pretty good at sizing people up. I love reading and writing which are typically solitary activities but I love talking about what I'm reading/writing. I can be quiet when I feel that it's in my best interest but when I'm being myself, I'm a big talker. However, if I'm in a social situation which bores me- I'm more eager to get out of it than to "find a way to make it more exciting because it probably wouldn't work anyway".

    S or N: This dichotomy confuses me somewhat. I have many "iNtuitive" traits (comfortable with abstract topics, often thinks outside the box). However, I wonder if I'm just a "high-IQ" Sensor. As a Math major in my college, I can't really get interested in many of the more high-brow topics because there often isn't any real way to apply these concepts to reality. It's all theory. I understand it but I'm not thrilled by it. I'm more comfortable dealing with tangible and real things. Some of my clearly Intuitive friends struggle with the abstract topics on an intellectual level but they seem to enjoy dealing with abstract topics and eschew practical concerns completely. (Most of these people are or were humanities majors in college-also they are all NF's, so maybe NT's and NF's just deal with Intuition differently.) I don't trust my gut and will only do something if I think it's reasonable.

    T or F: I have strong feelings (but who doesn't?). I understand that not everything I do is for rational or logical reasons. However, I feel most comfortable dealing with things logically and what boils my blood the most is seeing someone do something which is unreasonable AND which harms others. I often act on an image of being "overly polite", especially around people I have no desire to offend and have often been called the nice guy relative to some other guys who are definitely Feelers. I've thought about being an F but I think I'm a T. I tend to be very argumentative and often get too much into the spirit of an argument and forget about the feelings of the person I'm arguing with. I have a competitive streak. The whopping majority of my friends who I've introduced to typology think I'm a T. I'm very loyal to the people I care about and I think the worst thing someone can do to somebody is to lie to them. I take pride in my honesty.

    J or P: I'm disorganized. I'm bored and irritated with routine. However, I'm an organized thinker. I don't always enjoy following the rules but I like knowing what the rules are. When doing something that is important to my future, I like having some kind of plan to rely on. I'm generally easygoing and adventurous. However, I am also fastidious about cleanliness. This is for practical reasons though because I catch colds and other viruses easily, so I take extra measures to avoid getting sick. I like being busy and often take on a lot of duties. I don't actively seek leadership positions but when I end up in one, I tend to be very organized and results-focused. I don't procrastinate. I don't want to screw up. I think I tend to be more of a J when dealing with other people but a P when dealing with myself.. if that makes any sense. I think, overall, I'm more of a P.

    So thoughts?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  2. #2
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    ENTP, although I wouldn't rule out ESTP.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'high-brow topics' though.
    If you're talking about anything abstract in math, I'm not sure many people (including iNtuitives) are fans of that.

    Just look at me! I tie in S and N, but they are also both my inferior and superior functions, whether I type myself as ENTP or ESTP.

    Plus a lot of people who are originally ENTP might be mistyped that way and are actually ESTPs.

  3. #3
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    By high-brow topics, I mean topics like abstract algebra and analysis. I couldn't get excited about either of these classes and found some of the applied classes to be more interesting. I prefer problem solving to proving theorems.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  4. #4
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    By high-brow topics, I mean topics like abstract algebra and analysis. I couldn't get excited about either of these classes and found some of the applied classes to be more interesting. I prefer problem solving to proving theorems.
    Honestly, I don't think they're all that exciting either
    But that's too little of an example to be stating whether you're an S or an N.
    Ask yourself, are you more detail-oriented, or idea oriented?
    Generic questions like these might help.

  5. #5
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Honestly, I don't think they're all that exciting either
    But that's too little of an example to be stating whether you're an S or an N.
    Ask yourself, are you more detail-oriented, or idea oriented?
    Generic questions like these might help.
    I can be detail-oriented and am going into a very detail-oriented field: accounting. However, I'm primarily idea-oriented, I'm always thinking about the future and what I can do to improve things ten years from now rather than just looking at tomorrow. I guess that helps me lean more towards N.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  6. #6
    Member Lucky_Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    iNTp
    Enneagram
    IDK
    Socionics
    IDK
    Posts
    39

    Default

    U might be an INTP. DO you like to be around large groups, or when ur alone do u like to find social interaction or do something to benefits ur self socially
    love is boring without infidelity. thanks to an unknown visitor i spelt infidelity correctly now

  7. #7
    Senior Member Liesl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Well, first of all, I can see ENTP as a good starting guess for you based solely on the vibe I'm getting from your post. However, type isn't meant to be broken down into single letters like that. I would advise you to try to type yourself based on temperament and which cognitive processes you're the most comfortable with.

    First of all, read the temperament descriptions here: Myers-Briggs Temperaments

    Figure out whether the 'action seeker' temperament or the 'knowledge seeker' temperament fits you better. And remember that MBTI isn't about what you can do. We all use all of the functions and have aspects of all of the temperaments. MBTI is about what you can't live without.

    Then confirm it by reading the descriptions of the cognitive processes here:

    Myers-Briggs Typology System

    Which processes are you most energized by? Ne and Se are actually harder to differentiate than one would guess. Sometimes I feel like I'm using Se because I'm in the moment, noticing the possibilities and feeling stimulated by them...but Se is tied to immediate action. You're stimulated, and you react to it. With Ne, it's more like, you're stimulated, and suddenly, you get lost in the implications of that. You can definitely find someone on this forum to explain the processes better to you, it's not my strength!

    PS: Compare the way you interact to other ENTPs and notice what's similar and what's different about your interaction styles...that can be helpful too for figuring out whether it's really your type.

  8. #8
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    One thread is enough, merged.

  9. #9
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liesl View Post
    Well, first of all, I can see ENTP as a good starting guess for you based solely on the vibe I'm getting from your post. However, type isn't meant to be broken down into single letters like that. I would advise you to try to type yourself based on temperament and which cognitive processes you're the most comfortable with.

    First of all, read the temperament descriptions here: Myers-Briggs Temperaments

    Figure out whether the 'action seeker' temperament or the 'knowledge seeker' temperament fits you better. And remember that MBTI isn't about what you can do. We all use all of the functions and have aspects of all of the temperaments. MBTI is about what you can't live without.

    Then confirm it by reading the descriptions of the cognitive processes here:

    Myers-Briggs Typology System

    Which processes are you most energized by? Ne and Se are actually harder to differentiate than one would guess. Sometimes I feel like I'm using Se because I'm in the moment, noticing the possibilities and feeling stimulated by them...but Se is tied to immediate action. You're stimulated, and you react to it. With Ne, it's more like, you're stimulated, and suddenly, you get lost in the implications of that. You can definitely find someone on this forum to explain the processes better to you, it's not my strength!

    PS: Compare the way you interact to other ENTPs and notice what's similar and what's different about your interaction styles...that can be helpful too for figuring out whether it's really your type.
    This is useful, thanks! I think I'm more of a "knowledge seeker" than an "action seeker" simply because the "action seeker" gets most of his or her stimulation from physical pursuits while the "knowledge seeker" looks for whatever would be a "learning experience"- whether it's physical/mental etc..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  10. #10
    Junior Member rhinocub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    A problem is that I'm better at figuring out other people than myself.
    not only you )) it's a common case. It is a sequences of System Theory. A system can be understood by itself.

Similar Threads

  1. INTP, ENTP, INFP, or something else?
    By Jacques Le Paul in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2017, 05:46 PM
  2. ENTP or something else
    By Demonofthefall in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2017, 10:33 PM
  3. ENTP/ESFP/ENFP/ESTP, or something else?
    By patricia in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 01:49 AM
  4. ENTP or INTP? Or something else?
    By pseudoku in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
  5. INTP, ENTP, or something else???
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO