• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who thinks I'm a Sensor? Line forms to the right.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard repeatedly from several users that they believe I am SF instead of NF.

My evidence to support this would be:

1) My primary love languages appear to be touch and acts of service rather than words.

2) On the mindframes test, I scored as "sensitivity" which appears to describe an Sensing Feeling personality rather than an iNtuitive Feeler.

3) I have a strong love of atmospheric films, and prefer a great deal of poetic sensory detail in literature which can override my need for analysis.

4) I do seem to be somewhat more in touch with my body than some Ns, and don't feel as much of a divide between myself and sensing feelers in particular.

5) A lot of times I express emotion from a visceral level, like just crying and experiencing grief and letting it all out, then moving on ... or getting angry and getting over it, rather than stewing or dwelling or pondering how I should handle those emotions. I prefer the express it/move on way of living vs. mulling over bad feelings and stretching it out...

6) I have some sort of issue with people denying their more "animal" nature, and in fact love animals sometimes more than people, though that could just be an Fi value and not necessarily a sensor thing?

7) An increasing impatience with formal education, a type of ADD, and resistence against anything too analytically dry and theoretical that doesn't relate directly to people...though that last part could just be NF vs. NT, right?

My evidence against this would be:

1) xSFx people in my life telling me I'm overly analytical or think too much.

2) A particular academic strength in literary analysis and writing which I excelled at while in university classes, and a strong draw toward fiction, although I also often enjoy reading more fact-based biographies, history, and psychology books, and enjoy books/movies based on "real events".

3) While good at things like swimming and dancing, I have really poor hand-eye coordination and could totally get hit in the face with a baseball if I seriously tried to play team sports.

4) Drifting off in daydreams, and spending a lot of time on-line.

5) What if, what if, what if....

6) Fitting the stereotype of an NF in other ways

gromit

likes this
I cannot help you here! :D I'll be interested in this thread, though.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would tend to lean toward the NF side for the following super-scientific reasons:

1) I don't usually know what the heck you're talking about. Not making sense is a strong indicator of N.

2) You tend to sort of exaggerate things, but not in the SP "I'm gonna make this more exciting by dressing it up" way but more in the NF "I can't remember the details so I'm just gonna make stuff up that makes me feel the same" kinda way.

3) I psycho-analyzed your cleavage-baring photos of yourself using patented Jeffster Booboramic technology, and the result came back "Nerftacular Fun" which is abbreviated NF.

I rest my case, and request an extended recess for frolicking at the beach. :cool:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think you're an NF, I think the others just are jealous.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
hmmmm I dont think many of the items that you have listed makes you one or the other.

Have you thought about that you might exhibit your tertiary function better than your auxiliary function? We have a thread about it just minded towards INTPs in the NT forum. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/32582-ti-si-intp-comes-off-istj.htmlAccording to Lenore Thomson you might be exhibiting a loop of some sort. For if you score as ENFPs that would mean you might exhibit traits of an ENTJ which could also be your type if people think you have ESFP traits (if those traits are underdeveloped aswell). So maybe you are just an unhealthy ENTJ. I know its mindbogling. :) Look at this post I made

Thats Lenore Thomson, another idea of self introspection could be the Myers-Briggs idea.

In this post the listing in the top of the post is Myers-Briggs way of looking at it. Just some background to it, Myers-Briggs gave this situation as a way to understand the idea. A wife takes the test and scores her husband as an ISTJ because that is how she percieves him. But Myers-Briggs then postulates that the husband may exhibit traits of ISTJ (Si Te Fi Ne) but very likely is really an unhealthy ISFJ (Si Fe Ti Ne). So that what the wife sees as Te really is Ti in the tertiary position.

Edit: I think Im too tired to think straight its not ENTJ its ESTJ

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are an Insensitor, or maybe even a Senstuitive. :thelook:

E

Epiphany

1) My primary love languages appear to be touch and acts of service rather than words.

7) An increasing impatience with formal education, a type of ADD, and resistence against anything too analytically dry and theoretical that doesn't relate directly to people...though that last part could just be NF vs. NT, right?

These both resonate with me and Intuition is my strongest preference of the four.

I don't know you well enough to type you, but I view sensors as more in-tune with the present. My mind is always trying to grasp a larger picture and thinking two steps ahead, so far ahead that I miss the basic steps sometimes. Details evade me.

KDude

Some do that if they're used to something others aren't just yet.

That, or they're the kind that are very, very, very Se oriented and wouldn't know the difference between what is too much or too little analyzing, and just say that as a defensive mechanism (to put it nicely...).

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
It sounds like you've narrowed it down to either ENFP or ESFP.

There are lots of ways you could go about this.

Cognitive functions are great and all, but lengthy discussions about them get boring.

OK---I admit, this is TOTALLY UNSCIENTIFIC, but let's try something fun.

Please consider the following celebrities and their personality types (according to Keirsey.com):

Joan_Baez_1963_crop.jpg

Joan Baez - Champion ENFP

Singer-songwriter and political activist, fiery disposition, outspoken about humanitarian issues, sings depressing songs about the oppressed and downtrodden, plain/ordinary dresser, a natural beauty, but fond of unflattering and dowdy looks.

elizabeth+taylor+by+richard+avedon+1964.jpg

Elizabeth Taylor - Performer ESFP

Actress and political activist, upbeat and pleasant disposition, outspoken against racism, animal abuse and homophobia, snappy/sexy dresser, fond of glitz and glamour and bearing her large breasts

joseph-campbell.jpg

Joseph Campell - Champion ENFP

Writer/Lecturer/Mythologist, fiery disposition, promotes cross-cultural understanding through comparitive studies of world religions, myths, and archetypes. Plain/ordinary dresser. Fond of speaking about every little thought that enters his brain as though it's a profound revelation (which it occasionally is).

elvis_presley_on_stage1.jpg

Elvis Presley - Performer ESFP

Singer/Actor, upbeat and pleasant disposition, sings silly pop songs and the occasional gospel or topical song about the Ghetto, stars in throw-away beach movies, wears diamond-encrusted white robes and aviator shades with giant, flowing capes and a bouffant hairstyle, fond of gyrating his hips on stage.

So.....

As you can see, there are some remarkable similarities, but also some MAJOR differences.

Which do you relate to more, the Champion ENFP or the Performer ESFP?

(Be quiet Jeffster--she only bore her breasts for a brief period of time! That does not indicate a consistent preference for breast-bearing)
:D

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
From what you've said, I think you're more likely an ENFP than an ESFP. It's not like iNtuitives aren't completely out of touch with the physical world.. in my opinion.. the world would be pretty damn boring if we didn't have that ability.

G

Glycerine

Definite N. I don't see S at all. You seem to linger onto things longer (like in arguments) because of "implications". SPs, I've noticed usually just seem to let things roll off their backs without worrying about what potentially is being "implied" unless it's a major insult. NFs, not so much. They tend to read into things a lot. I think you fit more into the latter group. I am speaking of healthy individuals.

KDude

Joan Baez is so damn cool.

Almost as cool as Dylan (actually they're very similar.. what is up with that. Keep getting reminded of ISFP/ENFP similarities lately).

Anyways, yeah, I don't see much S either in my (uneducated) opinion. It's all good though

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard repeatedly from several users that they believe I am SF instead of NF.

My evidence to support this would be:

2) On the mindframes test, I scored as "sensitivity" which appears to describe an Sensing Feeling personality rather than an iNtuitive Feeler.

3) I have a strong love of atmospheric films, and prefer a great deal of poetic sensory detail in literature which can override my need for analysis.

4) I do seem to be somewhat more in touch with my body than some Ns, and don't feel as much of a divide between myself and sensing feelers in particular.

5) A lot of times I express emotion from a visceral level, like just crying and experiencing grief and letting it all out, then moving on ... or getting angry and getting over it, rather than stewing or dwelling or pondering how I should handle those emotions. I prefer the express it/move on way of living vs. mulling over bad feelings and stretching it out...

6) I have some sort of issue with people denying their more "animal" nature, and in fact love animals sometimes more than people, though that could just be an Fi value and not necessarily a sensor thing?

My evidence against this would be:

2) A particular academic strength in literary analysis and writing which I excelled at while in university classes, and a strong draw toward fiction, although I also often enjoy reading more fact-based biographies, history, and psychology books, and enjoy books/movies based on "real events".

3) While good at things like swimming and dancing, I have really poor hand-eye coordination and could totally get hit in the face with a baseball if I seriously tried to play team sports.

4) Drifting off in daydreams, and spending a lot of time on-line.

5) What if, what if, what if....

6) Fitting the stereotype of an NF in other ways

Maybe you're close on the borderline between N/S as well as being close to the borderline between E/I and that's what makes it hard to tell. I have wondered if you might be dominant Fi (INFP or ISFP). I'm not sure why.

Acts of service seems to be an Fe/Si sort of thing so that might be one data point. I don't know if if touch means much related to type. I initiated a tread on this a while back and looked at the results. It seemed harder than I thought it would be to link type to the love languages.

You do seem more analytical than typical SF I think, so that seems like a good point.

Have you thought about that you might exhibit your tertiary function better than your auxiliary function?

This I have occasionally wondered about. Possibly. Maybe.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definite N. I don't see S at all. You seem to linger onto things longer (like in arguments) because of "implications". SPs, I've noticed usually just seem to let things roll off their backs without worrying about what potentially is being "implied" unless it's a major insult. NFs, not so much. They tend to read into things a lot. I am speaking of healthy individuals. I think you fit more into the latter group.

I think these are really good points.

So, my guess is INFP. Have you ever thought about that?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe you're close on the borderline between N/S as well as being close to the borderline between E/I and that's what makes it hard to tell. I have wondered if you might be dominant Fi (INFP or ISFP). I'm not sure why.

My type for a long time on this site was INFP, though I do not relate to the passive, withdrawn nature of many INFP, and I seem to relish in stirring things up a bit more like an ExFP, and have more of a bent for both initiating relationships and performing I think than an introvert.

However, aside from this assertion of my personality, I actually require a lot of down time and solitude, which seems introverted. I thought I was an introvert from the time I first discovered MBTI at 17 until a little less than a year ago....a span of over ten years.

I should probably just list my type as xxFP. Heh.

Acts of service seems to be an Fe/Si sort of thing so that might be one data point. I don't know if if touch means much related to type. I initiated a tread on this a while back and looked at the results. It seemed harder than I thought it would be to link type to the love languages.

I think I have a lot of development of Si for an NFP which may explain any S flavor I have, rather than Se...?

You do seem more analytical than typical SF I think, so that seems like a good point.

This I have occasionally wondered about. Possibly. Maybe.

If I were asserting my third function, I'd actually be an ISTJ (Fi)...which I think is PROFOUNDLY UNLIKELY although people claim to see a bunch of Si/Te in my posts on the forum.

I test like 70% F. I'm so F it's both amazing and ridiculous. Provoker once called me "the quintessential F."

KDude

Do you really relish in it, or just find things hard to overlook and fight, despite discomfort?

I find myself in the second category. I don't really bother with much here, but offline I may. That said, stirring up shit is always a pain in the ass for me.. but I have to speak up sometimes.

Relishing would be something I see from E or T's (not ET though. He was pretty passive :rolleyes:)