• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who thinks I'm a Sensor? Line forms to the right.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You always struck me as ENFP, so i'm saying
ENFP, baby!

(i might start a thread like this, my type has been ever so slightly questioned)

G

Ginkgo

Joseph Campell - Champion ENFP

Writer/Lecturer/Mythologist, fiery disposition, promotes cross-cultural understanding through comparitive studies of world religions, myths, and archetypes. Plain/ordinary dresser. Fond of speaking about every little thought that enters his brain as though it's a profound revelation (which it occasionally is).

This guy actually sounds like an extraverted version of myself. Notice how he tries to create congruency between different ideas and pull them all together to create harmony. In doing so, he strives to clarify different subject matters between different parties for holistic understanding. This is Ne+Fi, and if you find yourself being a "politician", so to speak, working back and forth and being creative to communicate between different peoples to slowly bring them together (maybe not slowly), this is a tell-tail sign of ENP disposition.

ESPs, on the other hand, are generally thought of as risk takers. They push the situation as far as it will go without reluctance or conscious anticipation (their thoughts on the future probably stem from a weak Ni, which isn't as rational or premeditative. If anything, it's where they get that subtle 'gut lucky feeling' while taking risks). They have a concrete way of speaking and retain every detail of their daily lives. Ask what one did today and you're likely to get a step-by-step run-down of impactful information, unlike NFPs who just fill in the blanks with their imagination.

I think marm is an ENFP or INFP for sure. Just because she got that sensation score doesn't mean that she is an Se dominant.. But even the fact that she's linking the two systems together reeks of Ne. Most SPs I know on these forums view the personality matrices as independent of each other, particularized in a detailed fashion.

Marm, I suggest you go and have a conversation with an SFP on this forum. Note your differences in communication if there are any.

G

Ginkgo

It sounds like you've narrowed it down to either ENFP or ESFP.

There are lots of ways you could go about this.

I think she should take the functional route... I know it's boring and sterile, but whatever.

Ne: abstract perception in dealing with the outer world of people and actions. This involves looking at an object, and conceptualizing from it. You then imagine multiple possibilities for it.

My interpretation of this is potential energy. Basically, it's an imagining of all the things that could possibly arise from a situation. For instance, when I look in the refrigerator, I imagine all of the potential things I could eat or cook. Maybe I could scramble some eggs and wrap it up in a burrito. Maybe I could fry the eggs. Maybe I could try to cook them on the concrete outside. Maybe I could smear the egg white all over my dog's nose and watch in amusement as he struggles to lick it all off. Anything could happen, and I'm premeditating it. Wonka, as an ENFP says "There are alot of ways you could go about this".

Se: Concrete perception in the outer world of people and action. This comes out as paying most attention to the current experience.

My interpretation of this is kinetic energy. Basically, it's becoming embed in the physical world and being less concerned about what could happen, and being more concerned about what is happening at the moment. Let's pop the balloon, who cares what happens? Let's press my friend's buttons, who cares what happens? Let's ransack a bank, who cares what happens? It's more impulsive and instinctual. The only way we can even perceive what arises from a situation is by impelling trial and error.

If you are more borderline sensor, there's a greater likelihood that you're an INFP who cops out on Si.

KDude

that's a horrible description of Se :laugh:

edit:

There is a trial and error element, but I got a lot of it out of the way long ago. It's impossible to define Se in a vacuum, without experience. Experience makes you less careless (as does Fi or Ti). When I was 5, I'd stick my finger in a bird cage when told not to. But one bite was enough to learn. You live, you learn. By the time you're an adult, you're a productive citizen ;D Lastly, I guess Ni helps to apply lessons to different situations..maybe? For each lesson learned, it can enable a sensor to be adept on a wider scale. And maybe some of those adults who still come across as careless could be really crappy in that area.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's a horrible description of Se :laugh:

I thought it was pretty good :unsure:

I see the "push the physical limit" a lot in Se-doms, less so in those with Se-aux. ISFPs can seem the least Se of the SPs in some ways....I think it's the gentleness about them that implies passiveness over impulsive action (even though it is still there)....and Fi is rather introspective & abstract in itself which adds a dreamy element.

IDK....I might say SFPs are more impulsive and NFPs are more whimsical. I realize whim and impulse can be seen as synonyms, but I think the connotations are different and hint at Se and Ne differences.

/tangent

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've heard repeatedly from several users that they believe I am SF instead of NF.

My evidence to support this would be:

1) My primary love languages appear to be touch and acts of service rather than words.

2) On the mindframes test, I scored as "sensitivity" which appears to describe an Sensing Feeling personality rather than an iNtuitive Feeler.

3) I have a strong love of atmospheric films, and prefer a great deal of poetic sensory detail in literature which can override my need for analysis.

4) I do seem to be somewhat more in touch with my body than some Ns, and don't feel as much of a divide between myself and sensing feelers in particular.

5) A lot of times I express emotion from a visceral level, like just crying and experiencing grief and letting it all out, then moving on ... or getting angry and getting over it, rather than stewing or dwelling or pondering how I should handle those emotions. I prefer the express it/move on way of living vs. mulling over bad feelings and stretching it out...

6) I have some sort of issue with people denying their more "animal" nature, and in fact love animals sometimes more than people, though that could just be an Fi value and not necessarily a sensor thing?

7) An increasing impatience with formal education, a type of ADD, and resistence against anything too analytically dry and theoretical that doesn't relate directly to people...though that last part could just be NF vs. NT, right?

My evidence against this would be:

1) xSFx people in my life telling me I'm overly analytical or think too much.

2) A particular academic strength in literary analysis and writing which I excelled at while in university classes, and a strong draw toward fiction, although I also often enjoy reading more fact-based biographies, history, and psychology books, and enjoy books/movies based on "real events".

3) While good at things like swimming and dancing, I have really poor hand-eye coordination and could totally get hit in the face with a baseball if I seriously tried to play team sports.

4) Drifting off in daydreams, and spending a lot of time on-line.

5) What if, what if, what if....

6) Fitting the stereotype of an NF in other ways

I think you are probably an ESFP. Having poor co-ordination has nothing to do with function theory at all. Se is a drive to experience the world at first hand, not necessarilly to learn how to juggle and balance plates on your nose.

Drifting off into a daydream has nothing to do with Se... but it has nothing to do with Ne either. Both are extroverted function that turn outwards, not in. That, along with no.5, are liable to be the inferior Ni kicking in. If you find yourself getting lost in the possibilities until you just want to throw them all away and just do something, than it is probabl a sign of a weak function.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFPs are not more S than ENFPs.

4w3 is a quite current enneagram for ESFPs. The 4w3 ESFP is an especially practical and socially oriented variety of 4w3. They are globally more grounded than others 4 and have more often SP in their instinctual variant. Self-Pres ESFP 4w3 are attached to material things, grounded and intrepid, with some withdrawn tendency. Social ESFP 4w3 are very glamorous and status oriented, they want to be accepted by other. They are shamefull and envious in the social area. Sexual ESFP 4w3 are passionate, competitive and assertive. They are very intense volatile, sensitive and dramatic and want to live life to the fullest. Also, ESFP 4w3 are w3, and so are achiever. The achiever side is manifested with ESFP 4w3 by an higher need than with others 4 to have sort term task or objectives who are maningfull and wher they can express their high energy.

There's some famous examples of ESFP 4w3, Buffy is a 4w3 Sp/So, Liz Taylor is a 4w3 So/Sp, Danielle from The girl next door is a 4w3 Sx/Sp, Lady Gaga is a 4w3 Sx/So.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to interpret this as "I'm secretly an INFP and secretly proud of it, I'm just swayed by recent information into considering other possibilities."

I actually never doubted ENFP when you had that on your profile. That being said, since the question has come up, you feel like and remind me more of other INFP posters. My thought is that INFPs can definitely like performing and it would be stereotypical to think of ESFP/ISFP performer. You might be closer to the middle on I/E and you do seem like an N to me.

Using a bit of backwards logic, one idea may be to look at "eruptions of the inferior" - or those cases where you over-react, are projecting, and are not like your normal self, and see what description might resonate more. In these cases, you become a bad version of your opposite - so an ENFP would behave like a poor example of an ISTJ. The frequencies of these eruptions might relate to how much stress one is under or forced to operate under their non-preferences.

Introverted Feeling Type (INFP/ISFP) - For an introverted feeling type , projection comes out as a readiness to notice on and comment on mistakes made by other people. Triggers that elicit these eruptions are 1) an atmosphere of negativity and criticism 2) fears of a loss of an important relationship or 3) feeling some perceived personal inadequacy - like not being more prepared for something. When the eruption happens, the introverted feeler can get critical, picky, detailed, irritable, and frustrated. They see incompetence in other people. They can lash out, become blaming and accusatory. This is very much unlike normal introverted feeling type behavior.

Extroverted Intuitive Type (ENFP/ENTP) - Can be sensitive to someone not taking them seriously or can be defensive about ignoring or glossing over facts and details. The triggers of an eruption of the inferior are 1) physical exhaustion and fatigue 2) doing a lot of detailed work and practical matters for an extended period or 3) violation of important values. When the eruptions happens, they withdraw, may become depressed, may have tunnel vision or be obsessive/narrow in their focus. They also might become a bit of a hypocondriac - thinking some physical symptoms might represent some serious illness. Again, these things are very uncharacteristic of how an ENFP/ENTP normally behaves.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One other thought is if you are willing to pay the cost ($80), the Step II is the best MBTI assessment I've found. This is an example of a report.

https://www.cpp.com/pdfs/smp267149.pdf

When I originally got into this and figured out my type, I concluded INTJ but that there were some SP tendencies. The Step 2 helped to clarify that I was "pressure prompted" and "enthusiastic" which were counter preference for INTJ.

KDude

That's a pretty looking report :laugh:

But yeah, too much cash.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sexual ESFP 4w3 are passionate, competitive and assertive. They are very intense volatile, sensitive and dramatic and want to live life to the fullest. Also, ESFP 4w3 are w3, and so are achiever. The achiever side is manifested with ESFP 4w3 by an higher need than with others 4 to have sort term task or objectives who are maningfull and wher they can express their high energy.

This is interesting info. Thanks!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you really relish in it, or just find things hard to overlook and fight, despite discomfort?

I really like when there's a little chaos. Not enough to damage anyone or anything, but yeah I get bored otherwise.

A lot of what I say on this forum is me poking fun, being silly, or pushing buttons...a lot of people think I'm angry when I'm not, though occasionally I will get pissed and defensive in the middle of an especially nasty argument, then I need a break from it because I'm an ExFP, not an ExTP...

Chloe

how many ESFPs would really spend so much time on typology forum?
i know this is prejudice but are here more than 2 ESFPs? and even those dont post so much!

N. big N. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
how many ESFPs would really spend so much time on typology forum?
i know this is prejudice but are here more than 2 ESFPs? and even those dont post so much!

N. big N. :)

Whatever is ESTP and has one of the highest post counts on the forum.

But thanks for your input...I doubt I'm a "big N" but I very well may be an N.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who primarily says this? For example, did your classmates/professors in literature courses say this?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who primarily says this? For example, did your classmates/professors in literature courses say this?

No my mom, my ex, others...

I doubt most NT professors would tell me I was "thinking too much" :rolli:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've heard repeatedly from several users that they believe I am SF instead of NF.

My evidence to support this would be:

1) My primary love languages appear to be touch and acts of service rather than words.

2) On the mindframes test, I scored as "sensitivity" which appears to describe an Sensing Feeling personality rather than an iNtuitive Feeler.

3) I have a strong love of atmospheric films, and prefer a great deal of poetic sensory detail in literature which can override my need for analysis.

4) I do seem to be somewhat more in touch with my body than some Ns, and don't feel as much of a divide between myself and sensing feelers in particular.

5) A lot of times I express emotion from a visceral level, like just crying and experiencing grief and letting it all out, then moving on ... or getting angry and getting over it, rather than stewing or dwelling or pondering how I should handle those emotions. I prefer the express it/move on way of living vs. mulling over bad feelings and stretching it out...

6) I have some sort of issue with people denying their more "animal" nature, and in fact love animals sometimes more than people, though that could just be an Fi value and not necessarily a sensor thing?

7) An increasing impatience with formal education, a type of ADD, and resistence against anything too analytically dry and theoretical that doesn't relate directly to people...though that last part could just be NF vs. NT, right?

My evidence against this would be:

2) A particular academic strength in literary analysis and writing which I excelled at while in university classes, and a strong draw toward fiction, although I also often enjoy reading more fact-based biographies, history, and psychology books, and enjoy books/movies based on "real events".

3) While good at things like swimming and dancing, I have really poor hand-eye coordination and could totally get hit in the face with a baseball if I seriously tried to play team sports.

4) Drifting off in daydreams, and spending a lot of time on-line.

5) What if, what if, what if....

6) Fitting the stereotype of an NF in other ways

I don't know how much help I can be to you.. but I did bold the parts that apply to me, or that I relate to as well. Hope this helps.