• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

....I'm sorry I have to do this....INTJ or INFJ?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te/Fi having a broad knowledge base and collecting information for the heck of it?...
No, the point is he's not doing it for the hell of it, he's doing it because he figures it'll be useful. That's Te.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Contingency planning. He has a broad knowledge base, but per his words (not in this thread, we discussed this over IM later) he amasses knowledge not out of interest for it but because he feels it could be useful. Then there's his confrontational nature, even despite himself (something I recognize in myself), that's definite Te and Fi at work. Ti users argue for the hell of it, and as a tool to refine a point, they're not too serious about it.

It's a J thing.

Yes. And consider the fact that his Ti is in submission to his Ni lessening his priority in accuracy.

No, the point is he's not doing it for the hell of it, he's doing it because he figures it'll be useful. That's Te.
It's not just Te, it's a "J" thing.

I meant subjectively as in it seems based on how I perceive, and then how I feel about what I'm viewing/observing. At that point, I use Ti to make sure it's valid. I think Ni Te would be more focused on it being practical, then "good".

I don't think function hierarchy determines order of thought...

Are you also implying that the HOF(hierarchy of functions) defines alignment? That T's won't have "stronger values" than F's?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not Te, it's a "J" thing.
Contingency planning is specifically a Te trait, which is why it's written in as a "J" trait. The letters are not independent categories, they are based on functional order, and in fact can be ignored altogether because of this (and should, given that strong lower functions can mess up a person's letter-based type).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, I see what you're saying.
I read what I wanted to read, not what you wrote.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Contingency planning is specifically a Te trait, which is why it's written in as a "J" trait. The letters are not independent categories, they are based on functional order, and in fact can be ignored altogether because of this (and should, given that strong lower functions can mess up a person's letter-based type).

"He's not doing it for the hell of it, he's doing it because he figures it'll be useful" does not mean contingency planning.

"Usefulness" Or "Goal-oriented" tasks does not exclusively mean Te, it means J(Pi Je or Je Pi).

View = Traditional Si or Visionary Ni
Control = Organizational Protocol(Te) or Social Protocol(Fe).

Goal-oriented(or "because he figures it'll be useful") can be about idealistic visions(Ni Fe) or "objective" ambitions(Pi Te).

Liesl

I get what you're saying but I know INFJs who are obsessed with having the 'right training' (in the sense that they want the 'correct' degrees) for their future occupations. Overall, he uses more Fe than Te, in my opinion.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"He's not doing it for the hell of it, he's doing it because he figures it'll be useful" does not mean contingency planning.

"Usefulness" Or "Goal-oriented" tasks does not exclusively mean Te, it means J(Pi Je or Je Pi).

Goal-oriented(or "because he figures it'll be useful") can be about idealistic visions(Ni Fe) or "objective" ambitions(Pi Te).
Seems the latter, to me, but only Serge himself can answer that.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems the latter, to me, but only Serge himself can answer that.

Having Dominant J functions may significantly[though perhaps not absolutely] imply seeking knowledge for application but it doesn't directly[maybe indirectly] determine what one's goals and ambitions are.

NF's are usually known to have idealistic/humanitarian goals and NT's having scientific ones but this is simplified generalization and not what is actual reality.

You can be XNFJ Martin Luther King Jr. or you can be INFJ this guy:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOI8byIV_GI"]Holger Bech Nielsen[/YOUTUBE]

It's hard for him to let go of that Fe, isn't it?

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yes. And consider the fact that his Ti is in submission to his Ni lessening his priority in accuracy.

It's not just Te, it's a "J" thing.

I don't think function hierarchy determines order of thought...

Are you also implying that the HOF(hierarchy of functions) defines alignment? That T's won't have "stronger values" than F's?

It doesn't. You don't use one function, then another, then another. They're usually paired up and even then they tend to go own somewhat simultaneously. And no. I am not implying that.

I..hmm...I'm not sure. I don't tend to learn anything just for the sake of learning. I like learning things that are relevant/interesting to me (Like music, anime/manga, etc) or things that I think will be useful in the future. Compared to an INTP who seem to learn just to learn, I'm just..not that similar. I'll learn things I'm interested in but I won't go out of my way to learn things that I'm not really interested in and don't really boost my knowledge in anything (Such as where random beer brand is manufactured, what type of barrel is it stored in....well....actually, I do know a little bit about that but the point still stands!) A random example of this is that I stopped reading fiction books, I know they are 'mind expanding and all these great things' but I find that non fiction is just as good for the mind expanding bits and you also learn something that's relevant to the real world. Plus, I have a great imagination myself, don't need help lol.

I get what you're saying but I know INFJs who are obsessed with having the 'right training' (in the sense that they want the 'correct' degrees) for their future occupations. Overall, he uses more Fe than Te, in my opinion.

Hmm...I'm not obsessed but I can say that I have a similar drive...maybe it has more to do with enneagram type than MBTI? I'm a 5w6 and that's common among 5w6's. The drive to be prepared for the future.

G

Glycerine

I..hmm...I'm not sure. I don't tend to learn anything just for the sake of learning. I like learning things that are relevant/interesting to me (Like music, anime/manga, etc) or things that I think will be useful in the future. Compared to an INTP who seem to learn just to learn, I'm just..not that similar. I'll learn things I'm interested in but I won't go out of my way to learn things that I'm not really interested in and don't really boost my knowledge in anything (Such as where random beer brand is manufactured, what type of barrel is it stored in....well....actually, I do know a little bit about that but the point still stands!) A random example of this is that I stopped reading fiction books, I know they are 'mind expanding and all these great things' but I find that non fiction is just as good for the mind expanding bits and you also learn something that's relevant to the real world. Plus, I have a great imagination myself, don't need help lol.
Dude, I am totally like this. It has to be interesting and/or useful to me or I just zone out. For example, I am really interested in psychology, anthropology so I read up on that. However, if something bores me but helps me w/ a goal, I learn it like for a good grade. It's not necessarily Te. All it proves is that you use Pi and Je.

rhinocub

MBTI Type
ESFP
1. Music has no significant correlation to type. It may have a correlation but not enough to help in typing.

2. If you're talking "things" in general, it's too relative. Mechanics likes learning how mechanic things work. Drivers enjoy driving etc. The information dichotomy provides a general preference on information, not specifics. Some NT's like history, some NF's like politics, others hate it. Therefore, this doesn't help much in typing. People are relative beings but their functions and it's hierarchy are not.
People like what they are. And you are right. "Devices" would be more exact term
3. Yeah, me too.

4. May point out something but still quite vague to form a proper conclusion.

How does any of these show E nor T?
The answers have a pronounced tendency to E. Three from four is enough for the conclusion. Tendency. No rigid sign!

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It doesn't. You don't use one function, then another, then another. They're usually paired up and even then they tend to go own somewhat simultaneously. And no. I am not implying that.
Then I have not understood what you were trying to say...

I think the same way AND I'm an INTP but does this make me an MBTI anomaly? No, it's simply my values "pushing" my temperament. (possibly my inferior Pi Je)

Nevertheless, how does this address my post? This does not disprove you being INFJ.

Hmm...I'm not obsessed but I can say that I have a similar drive...maybe it has more to do with enneagram type than MBTI? I'm a 5w6 and that's common among 5w6's. The drive to be prepared for the future.
Wow! I'm a 5w6 myself!(sarcasm)

I don't understand enneagram well enough but I don't believe MBTI(or more generally "Typology") can't explain this.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Then I have not understood what you were trying to say...
That's fine. It's unimportant to this discussion.

I think the same way AND I'm an INTP but does this make me an MBTI anomaly? No, it's simply my values "pushing" my temperament. (possibly my inferior Pi Je)

Nevertheless, how does this address my post? This does not disprove you being INFJ.

Wait, am I still trying to disprove my INFJness? I was just explaining more about myself, not trying to disprove anything.

Wow! I'm a 5w6 myself!(sarcasm)

I don't understand enneagram well enough but I don't believe MBTI(or more generally "Typology") can't explain this.

Eh. I suppose. I tend to see MBTI simply as a tool to describe how a person thinks, that could have a lot or not much to do with a particular persons values might be.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read through this entire thread, the blog entry, looked at the video and admit to being confused. How do you know either INFJ or INTJ is right?

Hehe, I guess it 'could' be possible. Never thought about it much, I don't think I use Ne that much. I jump to conclusions, I don't tend to have that Ne brain storm.

Hmm.

Ni - Yes, I have it.
Ne - I can use it, it's not completely foreign to me.
Te - I make plans/focus on efficiency
Ti - I want things to be as accurate as possible.
Fi - My values are important to me. I'll fight for them no matter who's breaking them. I'll fight it by myself. I don't need a group.
Fe - I tend to have a vested interest in people.
Se - I love being physical. I love sports, being physically involved in life, and such.
Si - Ehrm, I have a good recall. I know what something should 'be' like. I don't tend to be sentimental nor do I have good memory when it comes to events.

How would you describe Ni and why do you feel you are Ni dominant? How do you know for example that you're not Si, Fi, or Ti dominant?

I'm more about individual core values than I am connecting with others.. I tend to like being socially appropriate but I don't think it's something that runs my life or anything like that.

That does sound more Fi than Fe.

I don't tend to learn anything just for the sake of learning.

I don't think this is the right way to view the core difference between Ti and Te. I see it several times spread through the thread.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've read through this entire thread, looked at the video and admit to being confused. How do you know either INFJ or INTJ is right?

How would you describe Ni and why do you feel you are Ni dominant? How do you know for example that you're not Si, Fi, or Ti dominant?

I'd hate to use generalities, but it's the typical "Ni" things that you see on the internet. I don't have 'visions' nor am I a fortune teller but I have a lot of instances where I will just have the answer to something without any facts on the particular situation and perhaps then I can work back to it and also I am able to see how something is going to go down. For example, I remember two years ago when I shocked my girl of interest when I told her how one person was going to react to another person when he walked into the room. It was a fairly complex set of actions (Walking up to her, making conversation, she get distracted, he starts getting mad and starts distancing herself from her to get her attention, and then eventually) and I had only known both of the people for 8 hours at the most. I can see a lot of things from various view points which helps me with making contingency plans, since I already know what's the most likely thing to fail.

I don't believe I'm a Si dom because it's a function I really don't care to use. I don't look to the past and compare to the present. I'm always looking for new experiences and looking towards the future.

Fi dominant? Well....I picture a Fi dominant person as someone who always knows how they are feeling immediately and they follow their heart more than anything. I try to make the 'logical' choice when it involves my feelings, if that makes sense? It's not out of the question, I suppose.

Ti dominant? I'm just...not that analytical. I've had discussion with many INTPs/ENTPs and my thought patterns just seem...different. I try to focus on the big picture and they'll focus on the details. Together, we're great but when we're arguing with each other, it can tend to drag on a while. The INTP will apply his details to a real world large model and I will apply my top down view with actual concrete details.

Se dominant? I'm not all that dexterous, I love feeling sensations and such, but I don't think I live purely for the moment.

Fe dominant? Quite frankly, I don't feel like I understand Fe enough to make a decision on this one. Fe in the dominant role tends to want to take care of people to the detriment of the self, sometimes. I ...feel like everyone should be capable of living a full and prosperous life, by themselves. With that being said, I'll help my friends and family, I'll even take care of them. But I would only do this for a select few individuals, my family (and I consider family to be of the people I choose to be close to me, not blood necessarily. Although there is a high correlation.) and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with type. Fe also has expectations about how people should act, I don't really. I know how I should act. If people are rude, that's life, if they cross me, I'll likely ignore them or cuss them out. I don't really 'care' about how people act, they can do what they want, but I am also aware about how people view actions. With that being said, I do care a bit about how people view me.

Te dominant: I've seen ENTJs. I just know! lol

Ne dominant: I can have a very one track mind at times. Once I get an idea something is right, I'll think about other possibilities but I'll likely stick to the one that I 'jumped" too. That's not the behavior of a Ne dominant person.

That does sound more Fi than Fe.
Aleksei and I have been talking about Fi and Fe lately. I'm confused. People like to bend it ever so slightly depending on what type it is.

I don't think this is the right way to view the core difference between Ti and Te. I see it several times spread through the thread.
Te = Contingency planning/Practical application
Ti = Detail oriented/Seeking for the most correct answer?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd hate to use generalities, but it's the typical "Ni" things that you see on the internet. I don't have 'visions' nor am I a fortune teller but I have a lot of instances where I will just have the answer to something without any facts on the particular situation and perhaps then I can work back to it and also I am able to see how something is going to go down. For example, I remember two years ago when I shocked my girl of interest when I told her how one person was going to react to another person when he walked into the room. It was a fairly complex set of actions (Walking up to her, making conversation, she get distracted, he starts getting mad and starts distancing herself from her to get her attention, and then eventually) and I had only known both of the people for 8 hours at the most. I can see a lot of things from various view points which helps me with making contingency plans, since I already know what's the most likely thing to fail.

Thanks for indulging me on this. :)

Does it look something like this?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/1154299-post34.html

Is this something that happens all the time? Every day?

Why do you feel this function, amongst all of them, is the most dominant for you?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te = Practical application

Define "Practical". All things are done out of "practicality", the only differences are "values". Me not doing anything right now is "practical" to me.

Fe is also "practical" application. The difference is that it is more in tune with environmental value than Te. Te relies on Fi.

I'm more about individual core values than I am connecting with others.. I tend to like being socially appropriate but I don't think it's something that runs my life or anything like that.

That definitely sounds Fi. But I'm thinking this can also be Ti? As in, "principles"?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Define "Practical". All things are done out of "practicality", the only differences are "values". Me not doing anything right now is "practical" to me.

Fe is also "practical" application. The difference is that it is more in tune with environmental value than Te. Te relies on Fi.

That definitely sounds Fi. But I'm thinking this can also be Ti? As in, "principles"?

Yeah, I'm not sure I like those definitions/distinctions either but don't think defining "practical" is the way to go about this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another two questions might help.

1. Of those people you greatly admire, what are the top five qualities those individuals have that caused you to admire them?

2. Of those people you can't stand, what are the five qualities or characteristics that cause you to not like them?