User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 63

  1. #41
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Is INTP possible? I stick to my theory of him being NP. substitute says he is maybe a little unanimated to be an ENTP, so that might indicate an introvert, who holds back a little more?

  2. #42
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    I'd say this guy was more obviously ENTP... though he might have been playing it up for the camera...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #43
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'd say this guy was more obviously ENTP... though he might have been playing it up for the camera...
    Let's say his Ne is not hard to sense. :P That being said, it does feel like he is overdoing it and pushing it a little.

    Edit: I saw some more videos of him, and his Ne is just WOW!!!

  4. #44
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Not sure I agree... I wouldn't say PinkPiranha lacks inner passion at all, but she's definitely very Fe...
    Oh, she's definitely passionate, but where is the object of the passion? Aren't there hints that it might be external? In fact, some of the most passionate people are fleeing from a sense of inner emptiness by fixating on something outside them to feel alive, as strange as it may seem.

    athenian yes, extraverts do worry about how they come across to others. I can't speak for all extraverts or all ENTP's but my impression is that sometimes when talking to other people the fascination I have for them overrides my self-consciousness and takes my mind off it. But that doesn't mean that if I'm being video'd or photographed or reviewed in my absence, I don't think about how I look or super cringe when I look bad!
    I guess that's just not as obvious because E's seem so much bolder and unafraid of things, willing to fearlessly charge right in. You know what I mean? But it's interesting how the self-consciousness is most intense when you personally are removed from the situation in which your work or appearance is being judged... the opposite of an Introvert's fear of only looking good once and not doing as well presenting something next time.

  5. #45
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Oh, she's definitely passionate, but where is the object of the passion? Aren't there hints that it might be external? In fact, some of the most passionate people are fleeing from a sense of inner emptiness by fixating on something outside them to feel alive, as strange as it may seem.
    Yeah that happens sometimes, but I don't think that's the case with her and it certainly isn't with me either. I think you've misunderstood extraversion somewhat... the fixation on an external thing is usually precisely because it resonates deeply with an inner passion or conviction, and relating to that thing makes a person feel less alone, and validated somehow. Inner emptiness is just as much an introvert thing as extraverts... look at INTPc, where dozens of them often to talk about how pointless everything is and how depressed and empty they feel inside.

    I guess that's just not as obvious because E's seem so much bolder and unafraid of things, willing to fearlessly charge right in.
    No, it's not fearlessness. I feel just as afraid as anyone when I charge in. The only difference is that I know it's got to be done, and if someone doesn't try, it certainly never will be, so all I can do is charge in and do my best. I go in despite the fear, not because I don't have it.

    But it's interesting how the self-consciousness is most intense when you personally are removed from the situation in which your work or appearance is being judged... the opposite of an Introvert's fear of only looking good once and not doing as well presenting something next time.
    Yeah I kinda know what you mean there. I'm quite confident in my work and my life and stuff... I can quite happily put myself on the line if I'm able to interact with whatever is judging me. But to just video myself talking cold to the camera, where I've got to come out with everything from my own head on the spot (rather than taking what's presented to me and making something out of it, which is my usual way of operating), that's quite intimidating, and I've no control over the audience either - they watch it cold. When talking live with the audience right in front of me, I've no worries because I can sense straight away the second anything doesn't go down well, and can 'rescue' it and change tack. But in a video interview, I just have to plough on, not knowing whether for the last 10 minutes everything I've said has come out wrong or isn't going right, or whatever...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  6. #46
    Luctor et emergo Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind applying theories, I just don't see how it's possible to really apply them in their entirety.
    Put it this way. Say you were studying ethics as a module in philosophy, as I have just done in my first semester. Now, you come across Kantian theory and Epicurean theory. You decide which is your favourite. You can now apply it to life. I actually like this kind of philosophy, because the best kind is always that which can be applied to life. After all, what use is a love of wisdom if you can't enjoy said wisdom by making use of it? You'll get double the love. Let's face it: wisdom is their to be applied. This is why Socrates is a legend, and why some sophist who just contemplated all day is not. It's a common misconception that philosophers contemplate and only contemplate. Bullshit. The best kind of philosophers contemplate and do. They are practical people with a vision. Perhaps the best philosophers thus are INTJs.

    [quote=substitute;100120]Yeah actually in the video he didn't seem as animated as ENTP's usually are... but that could easily be because he was on the spot and sort of a bit nervous and concerned about how he was coming across (typical E!). He didn't seem very at home with the camera being on him, but wanted to seem as though he did... hm, I don't think that's a type thing though, that could apply to many people of different types.[/youtube]

    Let me give you the link to the video I posted of myself a few months ago.

    YouTube - My Life As It Stands

    I'm much more aware of the camera in this one, and it does come through in how I am.

    Because he's so young, I'd say it's not so easy to tell either from the writing or from the video... but the writing contradicts the video to me, tells me there's more animation and enthusiasm, more passion on the inside than appears on the outside. But as I said that could just be in that video - when he's relaxed and without a camera on him, we don't know how passionate/animated he can get.
    I wish I could get a recording of me in action. Typically, if I'm into something, what I'll do is dictate; I'll take control of the situation. I'll ask people questions; I'll involve them, while retaining full control and dominance in conversation. I don't at all find it shameful to admit that I'm a loudmouth and I'm aggressively enthusiastic and opinionated in conversation. My words aren't always smooth and I'm not particularly quick or good at getting back in the rebound; but I know how to argue, and I think clearest and most effectively when in the heat of battle (argument).

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    On the other, he did score highest in Ne and not that high in Te. He also seems to have trouble coming to closure about his type and is constantly doubting it, which could indicate P.
    I've scored high in Te many times before. Anyway, the reason I say the test is problematic is because there are basically six questions for each function. If you happen to answer 'Little Me' or 'Not Me' for, say, four out of six of those questions based on Te, guess what? You're not Te. But this might not be the case. Imagine there are ten questions. Imagine you answered 'Little Me' or 'Not Me' for the same four, but 'Exactly Me' or 'A Lot Like Me' for the other six. You are now Te. It's just too slim and short to predict an accurate result. This is why I don't trust it. I've come out as INFP, ESTJ, ISTJ on there, along with a few more. Also, in this test and many more, many of the questions are phrased remarkably poorly, giving me a bad impression. See, if I answer 'I disagree' to 'I am head-in-the-clouds more than I am realistic' that automatically marks me as S. So what, you're telling me ENTJs aren't with it? This is a big flaw. A Te person could never be head-in-the-clouds, otherwise they wouldn't be strong in Te. The flaw is that these tests attempt to test on two bases; dichotomies and functions. So problems come into play. People wonder how they can be ESTPs while remaining strong in Te; they wonder how an INFJ is so good with Te (when all that's happened is that they have scored borderline on F/T, so they could easily have Te as an auxiliary function over Fe). If you type by dichotomies, you cannot use the functions, and vice versa.

    However, considering he is in his late teens, I wouldn't put much stock into this. Identity issues are common in adolescence and part of a normal developmental process. This often manifests as a bias towards P. It coincides with the development of Ni in ENTJs. It could explain Ezra's current interest for philosophy. If Ezra remembers himself as being Te as a child, then it would all make sense.
    As a kid, I took charge. I was disliked by certain mothers, because I came on too strong, and I dominated their kids. Quite a few loved me though. I could spend hours in my room constructing Lego bases or castles. I'd use to go out and buy loads of packs of toy soldiers, and spend hours setting them up, only to start a war, knowing who I'd want to win (nearly always the English or the crusaders). I had a big imagination, and I'd use wooden blocks, Lego and other models to create huge wars of the future. I've always had an obsession with war; not being the lowest of the low but a general.

    By high school, I was the lowest of the low in terms of social rank. But I know I was different, because I was one of the few people who people were not scared of. There was also no reason to dislike me; I was a very likeable character. I was still imaginative and known for it. I was creative. People used to come to me for their names grafittied into the backs of their books. They loved it. Then I'd do it anyway, just because I felt like it, and leave them all over school.

    Recently I feel I've lost my imagination. This doesn't really bother me. I got a C in Art at GCSE, which is - to me; by my standards - the kind of turning point from imaginative to practical. It is a failure in my eyes. I'm now considered quite single-minded by my closest friends. As I said in the video, my goal is to make money for future plans. The fundamentals are there; it's finding the method with which to do it.

  7. #47
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah that happens sometimes, but I don't think that's the case with her and it certainly isn't with me either. I think you've misunderstood extraversion somewhat... the fixation on an external thing is usually precisely because it resonates deeply with an inner passion or conviction, and relating to that thing makes a person feel less alone, and validated somehow. Inner emptiness is just as much an introvert thing as extraverts... look at INTPc, where dozens of them often to talk about how pointless everything is and how depressed and empty they feel inside.
    Oh, that's actually what I meant. Fe/Ti vs. Fi/Te. Fe has passion on the outside, not on the inside. So in order to feel, you have to relate to something outside yourself. That's one reason I have trouble getting along with INFP's, who think a passion/emotion can exist on it's own, while I see my emotions/ideals as being based on a pattern in reality that works within reality. I have Fe, not Fi.

    What I think is interesting is how INTP's tend to embrace and preserve that inner numbness/neutrality and avoid anything which disrupts that state, while ExFJ's prefer to fight that numbness and do everything they can to move away from it or against it. It says a lot about them to me.
    Yeah I kinda know what you mean there. I'm quite confident in my work and my life and stuff... I can quite happily put myself on the line if I'm able to interact with whatever is judging me. But to just video myself talking cold to the camera, where I've got to come out with everything from my own head on the spot (rather than taking what's presented to me and making something out of it, which is my usual way of operating), that's quite intimidating, and I've no control over the audience either - they watch it cold. When talking live with the audience right in front of me, I've no worries because I can sense straight away the second anything doesn't go down well, and can 'rescue' it and change tack. But in a video interview, I just have to plough on, not knowing whether for the last 10 minutes everything I've said has come out wrong or isn't going right, or whatever...
    What's ironic is that I think I'll butcher my own message by my clumsy presentation, so I'm actually more comfortable if I can't be seen or interact with the people I'm talking to, because then I'm not having be distracted by focusing on them instead of my idea. It's really strange.

  8. #48
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I wish I could get a recording of me in action. Typically, if I'm into something, what I'll do is dictate; I'll take control of the situation. I'll ask people questions; I'll involve them, while retaining full control and dominance in conversation. I don't at all find it shameful to admit that I'm a loudmouth and I'm aggressively enthusiastic and opinionated in conversation. My words aren't always smooth and I'm not particularly quick or good at getting back in the rebound; but I know how to argue, and I think clearest and most effectively when in the heat of battle (argument).
    Yup, same here. Totally. ENTJ's are like that too, but they're using Te to control whilst I'm using Ne to, well not exactly control but more 'marshal' or deal with things as they fall however they will. I guess in this respect ENTP and ENTJ can come across quite similar, and you'd need an understanding of what was going on in the person's head to be able to know the difference.

    I also score high in Te though, usually about equal to Ti or just a little less. But because Ne eclipses them both for me, I know I'm ENTP and not ENTJ.

    I just took a recording of myself to see if people think they can tell my type from a video, but I think I have some of the same trouble you do. Not having the audience there directly, and having to talk cold, it's not my preferred environment. I'm sorta out of my element, so I'm not coming across as I do in live conversation. So I think that outside of scripted things like the Australian guy in the clip I linked to, it's difficult to really show your ENTP-ness when put on the spot. And I'm also quite conscious of how I've put on a lot of weight this year, and so I'm not looking good!! When it's finished uploading to You Tube I'll link to it and you can see what you think.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Oh, that's actually what I meant. Fe/Ti vs. Fi/Te. Fe has passion on the outside, not on the inside. So in order to feel, you have to relate to something outside yourself. That's one reason I have trouble getting along with INFP's, who think a passion/emotion can exist on it's own, while I see my emotions/ideals as being based on a pattern in reality that works within reality. I have Fe, not Fi.
    Okay, well maybe I just don't get Fe or F in general very well (duh lol), and with Ti and Te being almost equal for me, it's hard to say whether this applies to other extraverts. But for me it's not that I need to relate to something external in order to feel, but more that I feel internally and then, because of the way I feel - a feeling that's come from within myself - I have a need to find something external to relate it to. Often I can't find anything to relate it to, but I continue to feel it within myself and it's incredibly frustrating.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  9. #49
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Let's say his Ne is not hard to sense. :P That being said, it does feel like he is overdoing it and pushing it a little.

    Edit: I saw some more videos of him, and his Ne is just WOW!!!
    Yeah, but he's had ages to script and edit the videos, to be fair... and he is very photogenic as well, which helps. I wonder if there are any of him just talking unscripted without any editing?

    Seen this one? Haha, it's brilliant!

    edit - PS you were saying that (bold) to me just the other day - I see your affections are easily transferred, my fickle, Ne-hungry little viking
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  10. #50
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Seen this one? Haha, it's brilliant!
    Yeah, I saw that one and thought it was very creative, although I guess I have seen some similar stuff done on YouTube.

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    PS you were saying that (bold) to me just the other day - I see your affections are easily transferred, my fickle, Ne-hungry little viking
    Sorry, but can't remember that. Sorry if I hurt you. :P

Similar Threads

  1. Ayn Rand is undoubtedly an ENTJ not an INTJ
    By Harlow_Jem in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 12:55 AM
  2. Am I an ENTJ or ENTP?
    By accualiizdolan in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
  3. I'm still not sure of my type but I think I'm an ENTJ.
    By Nicki in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 02:08 AM
  4. Why am i an intp? Im not an intp.
    By Liberty in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  5. I used to be ENTP now I am an ENTJ
    By zz000ter in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO