User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    what does T have do with being intellectual/analytical? I assumed T just means that you prefer not to deal with emotion, tend to see most things impersonally, and like to act competitively.
    In the Speedreading People information by Barron and Tieger, they say Ts are usually perceived as logical, analytical, and honest, whereas Fs are usually sensitive, friendly and diplomatic. This is the information I have been working with for 17 years.

However since I have come to this site, I have learned that not all Fs are diplomatic, and some are very analytical, such as yourself.

I am a T but I like to be friendly and helpful especially to someone who seems alone and helpless. I have been this way all my life. But I am still mostly a T because as you say, I don't like dealing with emotion. I can do it, but I find it exhausting.

This lady's son had been telling her about my son for several weeks. She was glad to finally meet us. I just was surprised she was so warm. I didn't think INTPs could be warm. I was asking if anyone here knew if INTP women could be warm. I only gave the information that would address that question. So as I said, I admit it's my fault for not giving you enough information.

But it's so annoying that no one is willing to give an actual reason for believing this person to be what they say, rather than a justification of why it's not impossible. I guess it's pointless to say anything further, everyone else believes it and can't be swayed.
    I understand your frustration. This wasn't a 17 year old girl who "took the test" once online! LOL! This woman was well-versed in the MBTI concepts. She was mature and level-headed. She was highly intelligent. She talked about the Jung Society and she remembered all the different E/I S/N/ T/F J/P dichotomies. She seemed to know what she was talking about.

I only type 20 wpm and I'm not good at describing things, so there's no way I could give you enough information for you to fully judge her type. My question was not what type is she. My question was could she really be an INTP because as I said, she was somewhat warm and pleasant.

As long as there is one INTP female here who says she could behave in such a warm manner, then I am satisfied this lady is probably an INTP like she says.

I think I'd like to get to know her better. INxx women are so hard to find in real life. And she knows about MBTI!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Are there any female television characters who are "classic INTPs"?
    (past or present)
    Daria, I believe. This YouTube user has clips.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Daria, I believe. This YouTube user has clips.
    Disappointingly, I don't know her.

I should hunt around for a list.

MBTI
    INTJ

Disappointingly, I don't know her.
    Which is why I included the link to clips.

MBTI
    INTJ

Which is why I included the link to clips.
    Thank you, Sweetie. I clicked on the link to the wiki. I guess I was hoping to compare her to someone I already "know". I didn't see a link to clips. I will check those out.

MBTI
    INTJ

Thank you, Sweetie. I clicked on the link to the wiki. I guess I was hoping to compare her to someone I already "know". I didn't see a link to clips. I will check those out.
    Apparently I added that part after you read it but before you replied.

If you watch an episode or two through the clips (burdensome, I know) I think you'll get a pretty good idea of what Daria is like. Of course, she's a teenager, so it might not help you out much with the typing at hand, but personally I thought the show provided good insight into the mind of the (female) INTP.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow. Daria is downright scary. I would never want someone like her for a friend!

Her speaking style reminds me of the comedienne, Roseanne.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow. Daria is downright scary. I would never want someone like her for a friend!
    She got to me too at first but then she grows on you. She's just being defensive, anyway.

Her speaking style reminds me of the comedienne, Roseanne.
    Now there's someone I'm not familiar with. *youtubes*

MBTI
    INTJ

She got to me too at first but then she grows on you. She's just being defensive, anyway.

Now there's someone I'm not familiar with. *youtubes*
    Roseanne was really hilarious before she got exceedingly vulgar.

Is this lady an INTP?

She has a similar kind of "air" and fashion style that the other lady had.

RDF

Just a random observation here.

Mature INTPs can "court" someone quite effectively. I know a female INTP, age 45 or 50, who tends to be very quiet, intellectual, and uninvolved in what's going on around her when she's in "neutral" mode. But when she decides it's worth her while to target someone and court their interest, or when she is in a circle of friends and decides it's worth her time to get involved and participate, then she can turn into the exact opposite of her usual manner. IOW, she can become very chatty, excited, energetic, and opinionated. But after seeing her like that, it's funny to see her shut down and become quiet and uninvolved again. It's like night and day. But that's just who she is.

Same thing with male INTPs. I knew a male INTP in his early 20s who was extremely quiet, intellectual, closed-off, and kind of irritable and rigid in his interactions with others. A couple decades later, I ran into him when he was "courting" a boss for employment, and he was chatty, voluble, pleasant, etc. But once he got the job, he tended to settle back a bit into more of a monotone, uninvolved mode. Still, he had become very "socialized" in the couple decades that I didn't see him (he had gotten married and had some kids), and he could really turn on the ease and charm and be quite outgoing when he chose.

So maybe that's the case, here. INTJMom's acquaintance may be "courting" INTJMom. That is, the new INTP acquaintance may value the fact that her child is friends with INTJMom's child, so she is making it a priority to get to know INTJMom personally. With time, if INTJMom and the acquaintance continue to get to know each other, the acquaintance may eventually settle back more into a relaxed state that is more INTP-appearing. But for now, the acquaintance may be really turning on the charm in order to build a personal bond that's important to her (for the sake of her child, or whatever).

Again, just a random observation. Being a little older than many posters here, I sometimes get to see an aspect of personality types that others haven't yet seen: How personality types develop as they hit middle age.

And it's my experience that INTPs can "socialize" quite well if they choose. They've got the brainpower to figure out what they have to do. It's just a question of whether they decide to make "socializing" a priority in their lives as they get older.

[Edit:]

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I think what Jennifer may mean is that you're looking at types much too one-dimensionally. You don't seem to think types can be dynamic. Types have many sides. They are not just one set of behaviors. NTs have an SF side, and vice versa. After all, even an INTP has Si and Fe in their top four functions (ie, an SF side). Similarly, an ESFP has Te and Ni in their top four functions (ie, an NT side). People are colorful, multi-faceted and often times contradictory. Even the nicest, bubbliest person has an iron fist underneath. We all have sometimes very contradictory dimensions to our personality. In other words, what type someone is is not always, or even frequently, obvious. People are so much more dynamic than that, especially as they acquire experience. You're looking at one tree in the forest, boxing people in too narrowly.

I'm an I, but I speak easily with people when I'm not in bad mood. In fact, I can be the life of any party. I joke easily. I'm an F, but I like to think I have a very reasonable and intellectual side, too. I'm an N, but I have a meticulous eye for detail and art. Some people might have difficulty typing me if I were to keep my type from them. People are very multi-faceted and dynamic. To be fair, you're an F, but you have a very strong intellectual and analytical bent, right, Athe?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    The more balanced people are, the more difficult they are to type. As people get older, they presumably become more balanced. I generally find it more difficult to type people in their 40's or above.

I see no reason to doubt that this lady is an INTP. I could see myself doing and saying the same things given a similar situation.
    Mempy and JAVO have it right (and I'm sure others, as well; I haven't read the thread in its entirety). What I said above is basically the same thing that Mempy and JAVO are saying, albeit from a different angle.