Let's examine the traits found in id aggression as compared to superego aggression:
Id Aggression 3-7-8:
- More often impulsive.
- Based on desire and want.
- Often inconsiderate of others.
- Involves more direct confrontation.
- Seeks gratification for the sake of gratification.
- Usually very direct in their aggression. More likely to be "active-aggressive."
Superego Aggression 1-2-6:
- More often calculated.
- Based on what's right and wrong.
- The aggression is often rationalized.
- Often considerate of others to some degree.
- Involves both direct and indirect confrontation. Can be "active-aggressive" or "passive-aggressive."
Freudian psychoanalysis illustrates the difference between id aggression and superego aggression in a way that elucidates this previously poorly-explained area of the enneagram. If you are stuck between 6 and 8 in deciding your type (and many are), look at the above list to determine if your aggression is centered more in the id or more in the superego. Some of those bullet points may not apply depending on the individual, so consider the points in their totality.