• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does everyone think "their" type is the best?

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So I'm pretty new here, and it occurred to me as I was reading a thread full of ENFPs. Does everyone like being their type? Or do some people or types wish to be other types instead? Does it just vary from person to person, or is there a definite type pattern?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't wish to be another type, but I also don't think my type is the best. I don't think there is one best type (and I'm not just saying that to be PC). There are types I am drawn to more than others & who tend to appeal to me more often, but that doesn't negate the merits of the other types.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Only INTJs.

In my experience, most people will naturally assume others will think the way that they do and there is only one real way to interpret the world until they come in contact with those who do in fact experience the world differently. Part of typology, and really, growing up in general, is familiarizing yourself with alternative ways of thinking and perception and learning how to incorporate an understanding of those differences in your interactions with life and others.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate my own type. I wish I were INTJ sometimes.

wolfy

awsm
I like myself, which is where I got all the info on my type from. All other types and people veer to the left or right from the centre, which is me. I don't know if I am best, but that is the only way I know how.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate my own type. I wish I were INTJ sometimes.

Why??

I wouldn't want to be another type but if there were a type that is difficult to be, INTJ has to be close to the top of the list.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think it's impossible not to see both good and bad...strengths a weaknesses in every type....the only interesting thing to me about typology is being able to see from others perspectives.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why??

I wouldn't want to be another type but if there were a type that is difficult to be, INTJ has to be close to the top of the list.

I admire the focus. I also admire the discipline.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I agree with Synarch. I don't really think very highly of INTPs, but I'd love to be an INTJ.

G

Glycerine

Ironically, I am envious of INTPs. I don't always like being ENFJ.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Interesting question - answer from two perspectives:

1. Your type is derived from your demonstrated preferences, and, unless a person is severely depressed or doesn't like themselves, to dislike your own type is contrary to those preferences. The word preferences is not just a typological abstract it means what we prefer to do in a given scenario. The overall Type description is a VERY broad brushstroke. It is like viewing a fractal as just a picture instead of repeat of the pattern to infinity at the varying proportional sizes.

• There is NO BEST TYPE - there is only the type we prefer to be and the density with which nature distributes that type in a society. Apart from being boring, society could not function if it were completely made up of INTPs for example, or ISTJs. Each type needs the others in the correct proportion to survive else who would perform all of the tasks you hate to do or just do not have the capacity to do.

When explaining it in terms of tolerance to students I talk about a jigsaw puzzle with 100 pieces. If any piece is missing the puzzle is not complete!

G

Glycerine

Interesting question - answer from two perspectives:

1. Your type is derived from your demonstrated preferences, and, unless a person is severely depressed or doesn't like themselves, to dislike your own type is contrary to those preferences. The word preferences is not just a typological abstract it means what we prefer to do in a given scenario. The overall Type description is a VERY broad brushstroke. It is like viewing a fractal as just a picture instead of repeat of the pattern to infinity at the varying proportional sizes.

1. There is NO BEST TYPE - there is only the type we prefer to be and the density with which nature distributes that type in a society. Apart from being boring, society could not function if it were completely made up of INTPs for example, or ISTJs. Each type needs the others in the correct proportion to survive else who would perform all of the tasks you hate to do or just do not have the capacity to do.

When explaining it in terms of tolerance to students I talk about a jigsaw puzzle with 100 pieces. If any piece is missing the puzzle is not complete!

Spoken like a true INTP. ;) Just messing.

Awww, I love ENFJs.
lol, I usually get along great w/ INTPs in real life. We tend to bounce off each other like a ping pong ball w/ some really weird ideas and tangents.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Spoken like a true INTP. ;) Just messing.

lol, I usually get along great w/ INTPs in real life. We tend to bounce off each other like a ping pong ball w/ some really weird ideas and tangents.

LOL and this INTP cannot even find her way around BB code well enough to bullet point with two different numbers!! Big Picture vs details :devil:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I've honestly invested a lot of thought and energy into how to change my type. There are numerous times I've wished I could be ESTJ, ENTJ, INFJ, INTJ, ISTJ and ISTP. My logic was that if I could have the qualities that these type possessed, I'd have more success in achieving my goals. The obvious flaw, of course, is that my goals are a result of my experiences as an INFP. If I were anyone else, I probably would won't want the same things out of life. What I would get instead is a whole new load of personal and interpersonal challenges along with a set of skills that lead me down a completely different life path that my current self wouldn't necessarily agree with, so to speak.

So, no, I don't just love being an INFP. I'm far from being the best, but I've learned to be careful what I wish for.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I admit I often wish I was another type at times. But I think this is really based on a desire to become the healthiest, most balanced and developed form of INFP - this is actually the most appealing type to me. :yes: I don't think I would be bothered by the downsides of being an INFP if I was a better example of one. I suspect most people would feel the same about their type. I suppose the upside of this is that improving oneself within the bounds of one's type is a very realistic and achievable goal.

So yes, I think of the ideal version of my type as 'preferable', but I acknowledge my own failing in living up to this ideal and that this preference is purely subjective. I wouldn't say it is 'best' because that would be idiotic.