User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Interesting question - answer from two perspectives:

1. Your type is derived from your demonstrated preferences, and, unless a person is severely depressed or doesn't like themselves, to dislike your own type is contrary to those preferences. The word preferences is not just a typological abstract it means what we prefer to do in a given scenario. The overall Type description is a VERY broad brushstroke. It is like viewing a fractal as just a picture instead of repeat of the pattern to infinity at the varying proportional sizes.

1. There is NO BEST TYPE - there is only the type we prefer to be and the density with which nature distributes that type in a society. Apart from being boring, society could not function if it were completely made up of INTPs for example, or ISTJs. Each type needs the others in the correct proportion to survive else who would perform all of the tasks you hate to do or just do not have the capacity to do.

When explaining it in terms of tolerance to students I talk about a jigsaw puzzle with 100 pieces. If any piece is missing the puzzle is not complete!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    FREE

Awww, I love ENFJs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Interesting question - answer from two perspectives:

1. Your type is derived from your demonstrated preferences, and, unless a person is severely depressed or doesn't like themselves, to dislike your own type is contrary to those preferences. The word preferences is not just a typological abstract it means what we prefer to do in a given scenario. The overall Type description is a VERY broad brushstroke. It is like viewing a fractal as just a picture instead of repeat of the pattern to infinity at the varying proportional sizes.

1. There is NO BEST TYPE - there is only the type we prefer to be and the density with which nature distributes that type in a society. Apart from being boring, society could not function if it were completely made up of INTPs for example, or ISTJs. Each type needs the others in the correct proportion to survive else who would perform all of the tasks you hate to do or just do not have the capacity to do.

When explaining it in terms of tolerance to students I talk about a jigsaw puzzle with 100 pieces. If any piece is missing the puzzle is not complete!
    Spoken like a true INTP. Just messing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Awww, I love ENFJs.
    lol, I usually get along great w/ INTPs in real life. We tend to bounce off each other like a ping pong ball w/ some really weird ideas and tangents.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Spoken like a true INTP. Just messing.

lol, I usually get along great w/ INTPs in real life. We tend to bounce off each other like a ping pong ball w/ some really weird ideas and tangents.
    LOL and this INTP cannot even find her way around BB code well enough to bullet point with two different numbers!! Big Picture vs details
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I admire the focus. I also admire the discipline.
    Ha! I admire the discipline in ISTJs.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    So I'm pretty new here, and it occurred to me as I was reading a thread full of ENFPs. Does everyone like being their type?
    I can only speak for myself. I looooove being an ESTP.

Or do some people or types wish to be other types instead?
    If they do, I don't know why. Love thyself.

Does it just vary from person to person, or is there a definite type pattern?
    I have no idea!!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

I've honestly invested a lot of thought and energy into how to change my type. There are numerous times I've wished I could be ESTJ, ENTJ, INFJ, INTJ, ISTJ and ISTP. My logic was that if I could have the qualities that these type possessed, I'd have more success in achieving my goals. The obvious flaw, of course, is that my goals are a result of my experiences as an INFP. If I were anyone else, I probably would won't want the same things out of life. What I would get instead is a whole new load of personal and interpersonal challenges along with a set of skills that lead me down a completely different life path that my current self wouldn't necessarily agree with, so to speak.

So, no, I don't just love being an INFP. I'm far from being the best, but I've learned to be careful what I wish for.
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I admit I often wish I was another type at times. But I think this is really based on a desire to become the healthiest, most balanced and developed form of INFP - this is actually the most appealing type to me. I don't think I would be bothered by the downsides of being an INFP if I was a better example of one. I suspect most people would feel the same about their type. I suppose the upside of this is that improving oneself within the bounds of one's type is a very realistic and achievable goal.

So yes, I think of the ideal version of my type as 'preferable', but I acknowledge my own failing in living up to this ideal and that this preference is purely subjective. I wouldn't say it is 'best' because that would be idiotic.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte