User Tag List

12 Last

Default Rational/Guardian who will chart course then run behind scenes?

My sixteen year old daughter recently attended a leadership conference and took the M-B test. Before she took it, I told her I thought she'd be an INTJ, and she wound up being an ISFJ, which I have trouble believing. Looking at the others, I have also wondered if INTP or ISTJ doesn't suit her.

Basically, she is a cheerleader valedictorian type. I really think she only cheers because it is more comfortable to her to be behind the fence knowing what she is supposed to do than with the general crowd engaging in social behavior and because it is something she has physically worked hard for. She says she doesn't want to be a boss CEO type person because she doesn't want to lead, but she has an innate ability to take all the tiny pieces and fit them together.

She is kind to children and animals and more than willing to do her duty and help out, but she doesn't generally like people unless they meet her standards of morality and intellect. She doesn't get along with her semi-brain damaged (not joking) sister because her sister doesn't live up to her standards of people, and she has trouble understanding that some people can not reach the same standards she has.

She is dependable and driven. She has set the goal of learning every foreign language she can, and at sixteen, she can already carry on conversations in her native English, of course, as well as Chinese, Spanish, and German (at least at the level of a native speaking second grader). For her career, she'd like to do international missions or work in the UN with human rights or UNICEF. She enjoys reading The Economist and fantasy novels. She dances, does gymnastics and cheerleading, sings in the choir, and is a pretty good actress (due to her fantastic memory and ability to express emotion as she reads-though not necessarily expressing emotion in her personal life, unless it's with the only two people she counts as her friends). She gets hurt easily, but doesn't let it show. Personally, I think she'd do well in secret service work because she has an incredible ability to keep secrets and she doesn't share what she's thinking. Unfortunately, she's also a little neurotic and tends to get stressed out (mostly about either not being able to meet her own expectations or someone else not meeting her expectations or when she's pressed in on all sides by people, which is probably another reason she doesn't mind being on stage as it puts her up and away from people)

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I don't see any thing here that would indicate INTJ, or even ISFJ really. But I am more inclined to go with ISFJ due to the whole standards and morality thing (Fe). But other than that, she seems like any other J type.

She certainly doesn't sound like an INTP, though.

EDIT: now that I've read it again, it seems like she has tons of Si, so maybe ISFJ is a better fit. What made you think INTJ?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm not seeing INTx at all, either, based on the descriptions.

I don't think anything written goes against ISFJ either; in fact to me she seems quite ISxJ, and given how you describe her activities in school, her relationships, and her career goals, ISFJ could work (so could ISTJ..but I'm weighing her actual mbti/test-results more heavily, as I'm not sure there are that many ISTJ's who would test out as ISFJ). She's certainly driven!! Very grounded as well.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

ISTJ.

Her father is textbook INTJ, and she is just like her father. Her test was divided right down the middle for the last three. I think the more I read about it, she could be both ISTJ/ISFJ. She just doesn't seem to know how to connect with her peers, especially if they have a lesser intelligence

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by MrsEvaLee View Post
    Her father is textbook INTJ, and she is just like her father. Her test was divided right down the middle for the last three. I think the more I read about it, she could be both ISTJ/ISFJ. She just doesn't seem to know how to connect with her peers, especially if they have a lesser intelligence
    I'm sure she has many similarities to her dad, especially if they are both IxxJ, but I'm sure you also see many differences. I don't know if it's possible to be both because Te and Fe are very different. However, they are both extremely domineering functions. Does she try to control the way people think, or the way they behave? Maybe control isn't a good word... I mean, is she more concerned with the thought process or the action?

The thing about connecting with her peers - does she not know how, or does she not want to? And what do you mean by lesser intelligence? Intelligence in what form - reading comprehension, common sense, mathematics...? What is her criteria for judging intelligence?

Without getting into too much detail, she is either ISTJ or ISFJ. Both types often think very similarly.

To figure it out best you have to decide how she observes situations with people. Does she use her observations of how others are feeling and use that to determine how to figure out what the others like and appreciate and support that or does she pay more attention to how everything is being organized and determine how to better organize everything. She will do both, but one will be much more instinctively responsive in a situation.

Edit: Oops I made a mistake. Fixed it now.
    Last edited by Little_Sticks; 06-09-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Made a mistake

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Form your description of her, I think ISTJ suits her best.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsEvaLee
    Her father is textbook INTJ, and she is just like her father.
    My Mother tells me "you are just like your (INTJ) Father", quite often, so I can relate to this.

And to the fact that she finds difficult to relate with less intelligent people in class.

(ISTJ women are hard to find, aren´t we?)

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

You're right, control is probably not the word because she prefers to stay out of other people's business. I believe she is more interested in their actions. (Ex: As I said, she's a cheerleader, but not because she likes the cheerleaders themselves. We live in the South, and when the cheerleaders begin practices they pray, but directly after that, they gossip about other girls. It frustrates my daughter and makes her angry that they're so hypocritical. She spoke up once about it, but said nothing more because she said her peace, and she doesn't see where saying anything else would improve the situation). She will only discuss if I ask, and she only discusses actions and words as she does not presume to know their thoughts, which are not visible to her.

Not knowing how/not wanting to is a good question. In some instances, it is the former, and she does try. In some instances (people who drink, smoke, curse, act rashly, don't work to the best of their ability, try to get others to do their work for them), it is the latter. She values loyalty and hard work.

As far as intelligence, it's the ability to know and understand facts and then put them together in logical fashion. She's a rising junior who made a 32 on the ACT/ 2160 on the SAT as a sophomore, and she's already taking college classes.

And for some reason, I think that the fact that her room is a disaster may have something to do with deciding her personality type.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by MrsEvaLee View Post
    And for some reason, I think that the fact that her room is a disaster may have something to do with deciding her personality type.
    My room is a disaster, too. Because I have no room in my schedule to make time to order it: work, University, Tango nights (I´m a dancer). Too much to worry about my room. As long as my bed is still there at the end of the day, and I know where my laptop is, it´s not a problem for me.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric