User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Default What do ya think type 7 or 9?

So a friend has decided i'm type nine...i'd like to be type 9 haha

i feel very sevenish...what do i seem like tho?

People of enneatype Nine are essentially looking to maintain a sense of peace, harmony and balance and to avoid conflict and disruption. Nines tend to see the best in people, to be fundamentally optimistic about the future, and, when reasonably healthy, to have a calming and grounding effect on those around them. As a general rule, Nines are fairly "easy going;" they adopt a strategy of "going with the flow." They intuitively know how to wait for the openings so that they can slip effortlessly into the stream. Nines don't tend to "sweat the small stuff." On the whole, they are self-effacing, tolerant, even-tempered and likable individuals. Nines aspire to be supportive, loving and gentle and more than any other enneatype, are likely to embody these valuable qualities. Given such a portrait, it might seem difficult to understand what is so problematic about the type Nine fixation.

or

Enneagram type 7s are upbeat and energetic, and have minds that don’t quit. The Seven mind is always busy making connections between different ideas, which can make them seem scattered, but also funny and entertaining. Sevens are good at brainstorming new ideas and beginning new projects, but can have trouble with followthrough. In average levels of health, Sevens can seem ADD and manic, and many sevens get asked if they have been diagnosed with these disorders. While sevens like to live in the world of ideas, they also like to implement those ideas in practical ways.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

7, if the way you are here is any indication. you're enthusiastic.. impulsive even.

in a good way, of course

9's are just super chillin i think? i thought i was one too (which would be in line with isfp), but i don't think so now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

ha! how can you tell i'm impulsive online? i am but how do you know! haha

but yeah...we were just having dinner and he said you're a nine btw haha and i was like i feel more 7 than enfp even...i feel really really 7 but i am kinda chill and haven't really read much of the other types
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

You do seem a bit more contained in terms of the expression of your personal details, which can indicate a degree of 9 protectiveness.

However, you could just be a 7 with a self-pres instinct. I'd track down Blackcat, he's great with enneagram help.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oooh...are nines protective? i'm super protective. i don't think i'm self-pres tho i get sx/so/sp

okay...i'm off to read more thanks guys

ooh found this
    Misidentifying Sevens and Nines

Sevens and Nines might seem difficult to confuse since average Sevens are the hyperactive extroverts of the Enneagram, while average Nines are obviously passive and complacent, and live at a much lower energy level than Sevens.

The main reason they can sometimes be confused is that both types can be extremely busy and both are usually rather ebullient and happy. Furthermore, the defense mechanisms of both types are similar: both have repressed their inner worlds—Nines to maintain their identification with an idealized other, Sevens to avoid cutting themselves off from sources of external stimulation.

The points of similarity are reflected in their psychic structures–the fact that both are sensation types in the Jungian model, Sevens corresponding to the extroverted and Nines to the introverted sensation type (PT, 193 and 250). While it is clear from even a superficial acquaintance with Sevens that they are highly extroverted and orient themselves to the world via sensation, what is unclear is that Nines are introverted. What is even more unclear is the nature of the sensation that they introvert on. This is why the inner world of Nines is so obscure and difficult to describe (and why others have not understood this type's proper correlation to the Jungian category).

A deeper understanding of the Nine's psyche comes from realizing that the Nine orients itself to the world by introverting on the "sensation" of possessing union with another–by introjecting another, and then idealizing that introjection. To put this in simpler terms, their sense of self comes from the emotion they feel when they sense their identification with another person, much as a pregnant woman introverts with thoughts of love for her unborn child. By talking to the child in her womb, she gains a sense of herself as a mother. In a similar way, Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.

This introversion accounts for the inner life of Nines, which is largely out of view, protected in the inner sanctum of their psyches so that it cannot be easily disturbed or changed. It is in their dealings with the outside world that Nines can resemble Sevens.

Average Sevens are hyperactive, busy with too many things superficially. They dabble around to amuse themselves and to stave off boredom and anxiety. Similarly, Nines are highly intolerant of anxiety, and they stay busy to avoid it, using errands and hobbies to occupy their minds in undemanding, non-threatening ways. They want to avoid conflict or over excitement; by contrast, Sevens love excitement. Sevens become demanding and excessive and crassly materialistic as they deteriorate, while Nines become more passive, indifferent, and unresponsive as they become more unhealthy. Sevens want to be stimulated, whereas Nines want to avoid anything that would overly stimulate, much less upset, them. The essential difference is that average Nines do not want to be emotionally involved in their activities (since these can threaten their identifications), whereas Sevens want to have an increasingly high emotional charge from their activities (since they have few subjective identifications).

Furthermore, Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind. The Nine's desire to avoid becoming deeply involved with anything lest it arouse too high a response is the polar opposite of what we find in the average Seven. As we have seen, like all opposites, these two types can nevertheless be alike in many ways. Consider the differences between John F. Kennedy (a Seven) and Ronald Reagan (a Nine) or between Bette Midler (a Seven) and Ingrid Bergman (a Nine) for further insight into these two types.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    ha! how can you tell i'm impulsive online? i am but how do you know! haha

but yeah...we were just having dinner and he said you're a nine btw haha and i was like i feel more 7 than enfp even...i feel really really 7 but i am kinda chill and haven't really read much of the other types
    because i can just tell by the stuff you say sometimes that you're just speaking your mind/thinking aloud. haha.. it's more in line with enfp too, right? it doesn't have to be personal stuff, i think. just random opinions or whatnot.

anyways i think we talked about 7 once.i feel like i can identify with it a little more than 9 myself (this makes an argument for me actually being esfp but whatever).

quinlan and wolfy are like 9s, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    oooh...are nines protective? i'm super protective. i don't think i'm self-pres tho i get sx/so/sp

okay...i'm off to read more thanks guys
    You do seem to come off a bit as preferring to avoid conflict and bad "feelings." I think I've frequently seen you write something similar to "Ugh, why can't people just let people be" or "Why do haters gotta hate" and variations of that theme in response to topics about hateful judgments which you gives you that "peacemaker" feel.

Not sure what you're like in person though

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

haha!! why haters gotta hate?? omg never said that but i'll have to steal it for another time

i am a peacemaker tho...that was totally my role in my family. i felt like the translator...like no one else could understand each other...hmm
    -Jim Morrison

That excerpt you posted is great. Where'd you get it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

the enneagram institute. i tried to just link it butt apparently you have to be logged in to see it.
    -Jim Morrison