• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could I really be INFJ rather than INFP?

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On many online MBTI tests I score as an INFP, but my P kinda is usually in the weak to moderate range (63% on the last test I took, reference in my sig) and I was reading through the differences between the two types on this forum, and some of them made me think "Is it possible I'm actually an INFJ, but don't really know it?"

Here are some of my more hidden personality traits that might indicate my preference a bit more. Some of these are indeed INFPish, but there are others that seem to be more characteristic of INFJs, at least from what I've seen.

-Despite my peaceful nature, I can sometimes be argumentative in my writings, blogs, E-Mails (although I'm definitely not one to "troll"). Nevertheless, I do not enjoy arguing with people, and I will generally avoid taking people on directly unless I am REALLY angry.

-I have a sense of humor, but it's fairly specialized, and largely dependent on my mood. Some things I find funny, others I do not.

-When I was in middle & high school, I saw most of my teenage classmates as being arrogant, disrespectful of their friends, and boisterous. I especially resented that those kinds of teens were usually the most popular students at their school.

-I'm usually very relaxed, calm, and peaceful on the outside, but I can sometimes be anxious and moody on the inside, although I don't usually show it. I score as Phlegmatic with a strong Melancholic wing in most humoral tests I've taken, and often score high in Neuroticism on Big Five.

-On a related note though, I score low in Conscientiousness. I'm not very organized.

-I'm not very comfortable with expressing emotion in public. I internalize my feeling for the most part and I have to feel very secure with a person before I will open up.

-I enjoy fun activities, but in a very humble and easygoing manner.

-I definitely prefer knowing what I'm getting into. For example, I like riding roller coasters, but I usually research the parks' lineup of rides before going there.

-I like to plan things in advance, even if it's often a mental plan that I improvise on as more information becomes available.

-I have a strong desire for free time and prefer a life of repose and leisure, although I could see myself enjoying obligated work if it was something I cared about enough. My parents think that I would make a good librarian, psychologist, or college professor.

-I've had some trouble passing certain classes in school but I enjoy learning about things.

-I'm very much a daydreamer and fantasizer. I enjoy reading and playing video games, especially RPGs.

-My speed at decision making depends a lot on things. I can sometimes revisit and change decisions, but usually only with decisions that I find hard to make. When I go grocery shopping I can be a bit rash about picking items, although I think that's mostly because I'm not a fan of grocery shopping to begin with and just want to get it over with.

-It can be difficult for me to stop considering alternatives and do something definite.

-I can be a horrible procrastinator at times, but I mainly procrastinate about things I don't really want to do, or which I don't care about.

-I kind of gain satisfaction from starting projects as well as finishing them.

-I'm very introverted. To be on the safe side when I'm out, I tend to (try to) take on the mood and character of my surroundings. As a result, I actually lack spontaneity and tend to be very predictable despite my occasionally capricious attitude.

-I'm the type of person who feels very strongly about my beliefs, and can sometimes have a difficult time relating (at least on a deep level) with people who do not see things in the same light. I can be quite opinionated about certain things, even if I don't always confront people about it lest I hurt or offend them.

-INFPs are known for being optimistic, idealizing others and trying to see the best in everyone. This is not wrong, exactly, but I sometimes confuse people by idealizing and accepting them readily at first, but then the more I'm with them (and the more things they do that offend me), the more I decide I just don't like them. I have also been known to split and judge people and things, depending on how I feel at any moment or how well they fit my ideals. I'm also prone to pessimism when reacting negatively.

-I tend to use passive-aggressive strategies when I'm upset or angry, partly because I'm too cowardly and too upset by my own negative emotions to face up to people directly.

-I'm not so good with small children even though I am kind of young at heart and enjoy things like Pokemon. The reason is not because I'm heartless and don't care about those weaker than me, but because they're too noisy and unpredictable for my tastes (I need a quiet environment).

-Laziness and self-centeredness are among my worst faults. I especially don't respond well to expectations, pressure, and pushy people.

Personally I'm still leaning a bit more towards INFP, but now that I've been looking deeper I can definitely see some INFJness going on too...what do you guys think?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
A lot of those points could be either. I'm leaning a bit toward P.

Have you seen this site?

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Seems very thorough and well put together.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think a lot of this is even about type or it could apply to both or neither.... I suggest looking into the cognitive functions & forgetting about J/P stereotypes.

Have you seen this site?

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Seems very thorough and well put together.

Except a quack INFJ with a major bias against INFPs wrote it - thorough & put-together, but not reasonable or accurate.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I see more FP then FJ to me. All the references to strong opinions points me in that direction. IFPs, being primary introverted judgers place high priority on forming opinions. IFJs, being extroverted judgers, are more concerned about what needs to be done. INFJ are often very neutral on matters that don't actually require them to do anything.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Except a quack INFJ with a major bias against INFPs wrote it - thorough & put-together, but not reasonable or accurate.

Which parts are biased? I only read the first few sections through, since I'm not INF. I remember thinking there should be such pages for other commonly confused types.

About the OP, these points:

-I definitely prefer knowing what I'm getting into. For example, I like riding roller coasters, but I usually research the parks' lineup of rides before going there.

-I like to plan things in advance, even if it's often a mental plan that I improvise on as more information becomes available.

-My speed at decision making depends a lot on things. I can sometimes revisit and change decisions, but usually only with decisions that I find hard to make. When I go grocery shopping I can be a bit rash about picking items, although I think that's mostly because I'm not a fan of grocery shopping to begin with and just want to get it over with.

these don't indicate P/J well at all for IN types. I know when the P/J is considered individually, Ps are described as people who dive right into the thick of things, making immediate decisions, acting impulsively. I was confused about my own P/J for quite some time because of this. I can really hold back when it comes to taking action, really get stuck in my head and continually question myself. It's a major weakness of mine. And I'm a P.

Look at the type as a whole (cognitive processes, overall profiles), less on individual dichotomies.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
The difference between Fi and Fe is extreme and important. I'd look into that.

I really like the E. Buie profile, haven't read that one yet, have read all the others. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which parts are biased? I only read the first few sections through, since I'm not INF. I remember thinking there should be such pages for other commonly confused types.

If you read through all of it, she frequently makes derogatory & unfounded claims about INFPs, such as claiming we tend to have ADD and how INFJs never have such disorders :rolli:. I'm sure my paraphrasing is exaggerating a bit, but there's enough of that crap to discredit her site for me.

Also, I find her site to be confusing, as have many other INFPs. Some of what she uses to distinguish the two types doesn't seem type related at all. Since some of the INFJ stuff applied to me, I ended up confused for a moment about my type after reading it, when I was already 99% sure of being INFP :doh:.

For instance, she describes the differences between INFJ & INFP children & how they develop, and the INFJ one fit me well & I did not relate to the INFP one at all. I believe this is because her understanding of INFPs is poor - much of it sounded more ISFJ to me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you read through all of it, she frequently makes derogatory & unfounded claims about INFPs, such as claiming we tend to have ADD and how INFJs never have such disorders :rolli:. I'm sure my paraphrasing is exaggerating a bit, but there's enough of that crap to discredit her site for me.

Also, I find her site to be confusing, as have many other INFPs. Some of what she uses to distinguish the two types doesn't seem type related at all. Since some of the INFJ stuff applied to me, I ended up confused for a moment about my type after reading it, when I was already 99% sure of being INFP :doh:.

For instance, she describes the differences between INFJ & INFP children & how they develop, and the INFJ one fit me well & I did not relate to the INFP one at all. I believe this is because her understanding of INFPs is poor - much of it sounded more ISFJ to me.

I definitely agree w/ you re. that site. Whenever people bring up that site, I go :doh: -- I find it tends to make more of a confusing mess of the two types than anything. Basically if you go to that site unsure, you'll leave the site even more unsure. :)