• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trouble Enneagram-Typing Yourself? Come To Papa

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||| 78%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 26%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness || 10%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||| 14%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||| 34%

Type 1 - 5
Type 2 - 6
Type 3 - 7
Type 4 - 7
Type 5 - 3
Type 6 - -6
Type 7 - -14
Type 8 - -7
Type 9 - -1

I always get way different scores when I take the test. I wish they would make an enneagram test that just had either/or questions and not scaled questions. One time I scored as an 8 and most certainly am not one.

I always seem to score 4-ish and 1-ish. While I do have the whole 4-social shame thing going on, I don't have the sense of the dramatic "No one understands me!" "I want others to know that I am different than them!" and I don't walk around trying to impress people with lamentations. Sheesh. In fact I find those kind of people annoying. All the dramatic pain and melancholy I experience I keep to myself, but I wont deny that it is there.

I can see myself as a one because I do have a lot of integrity and desire to make a difference. Instead of going on and on, let me just bold the things that apply to me:
Ones:
* being self-disciplined and able to accomplish a great deal
* working hard to make the world a better place
* having high standards and ethics; not compromising myself
* being reasonable, responsible, and dedicated in everything I do
* being able to put facts together, coming to good understandings, and figuring out wise solutions
* being the best I can be and bringing out the best in other people

Fours:
* my ability to find meaning in life and to experience feeling at a deep level
* my ability to establish warm connections with people
* admiring what is noble, truthful, and beautiful in life
* my creativity, intuition, and sense of humor
* being unique and being seen as unique by others
* having aesthetic sensibilities
* being able to easily pick up the feelings of people around me

Now, HELP ME OUT so I can finally know what my enneagram type is for sure. I said 4w5 up until now just because most INFJs type as this, but that doesn't really mean anything.

redacted

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 55%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||||| 77%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 44%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||| 31%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||| 42%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||| 28%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 31%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 67%

problem is, i'm pretty damn sure i'm a one. there were a bunch of questions that i knew i was answering "wrong" for the type, but i think they were too specific or something.

are there more accurate tests? ones with better questions?

edit: it says i'm SO/SP/SX, which is completely backwards.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
dissonance said:

Seconding this question.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I always seem to score 4-ish and 1-ish. While I do have the whole 4-social shame thing going on, I don't have the sense of the dramatic "No one understands me!" "I want others to know that I am different than them!" and I don't walk around trying to impress people with lamentations. Sheesh. In fact I find those kind of people annoying. All the dramatic pain and melancholy I experience I keep to myself, but I wont deny that it is there.

I can see myself as a one because I do have a lot of integrity and desire to make a difference.

Being a 4 doesn't mean you want to impress other people any less than a 5 or a 9 etc. Those are merely perpetuated stereotypes. "Oh woe is me, I am a 4" "I'm the most helpful cause I'm a 2". Does it mean it's not true? To a certain extent. It's in understanding the underlying root/cause and how they express it, why and when (and maybe even for 'whom'?). How do you want to impress people? Do you want to show you're the most helpful or the most peaceful or the most intelligent or the most ambitious or the most sensitive? Even then, does it mean you don't want to or can't do the rest?

If you're actively trying to impress people, whether lamenting or exhibiting how 'oh so happy you are', are you in a healthy frame of mind? If you were, you knew you'd be impressing people naturally because you'd be the shizznit and you can know it too without shame. You just don't feel the need to prove it~

I'm a 4w5. I mainly channel my pains and frustrations, even happiness, into writing poetry. A lot. I hold onto bad feelings and like to explore them but I keep them to myself when I'm unhappy. I sometimes show that I'm hurt by being withdrawn, deliberately or not. It's not even that I'd want to show it (off) but it's just something I do and is perceived as such.

Does a 5 have any less integrity than a 1 or a push to help others? Any less desire to help people? I'd say, again, it's all in how they channel it and how they want to express it and what's most comfortable to them. That isn't to say that any one type will own whatever way exclusively, however.

I'm trying to help you out, right? As a sterotypical 4, that's a no-no. WE are the most unique, we can't help someone be unique too! On the whole though, that's somewhat true. But that's a 4 in an unhealthy state of mind, that's just one way they express their frustrations. As a healthy 4, you'd want to share your experiences and foster it in others, help others find their uniqueness, being sensitive towards others and not just enviously sensitive towards themselves. That isn't to say I'm completely healthy cause if you read a little further down on how 4's Disintegrate, I think I've overdone this response lmfao.

There's an excellent and comprehensive 400 page book called The Wisdom of The Enneagram: The Complete Guide To Psychological And Spiritual Growth For The Nine Personality Types. I'd recommend it and I've seen the price has gone down, so lucky if you do~ (bought mine at $30CAN and have no regrets). It explains Enneagram history to what your childhood history might've been as your Type, and....

Here's a link that has pages 9 to 18 of Chapter 1 (legal or not, catch it before it's gone~). Identifying Your Personality Type: The person wrote a little intro of it before the true section of the book begins. Chapter 1 begins from THE ENNEAGRAM (pronounced "ANY-a-gram") is a...

The book explains thoroughly and even simply. I'll give a few comparisons that wasn't mentioned on that page on 1's and 4's as for The Basic Fears of The Types:

1 = Fear of being bad, corrupt, evil, or defective.
4 = Fear of being without identity or personal significance.

1 = Basic Desire:To be good, virtuous, in balance- to have integrity
1 = Superego Message: "You are good or okay if you do what is right."
"I have a mission in life."

4 = Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance, to create an identity out of their inner experienecs.
4 = Superego Message: "You are good or okay if you are true to yourself."

Here's the breakdown when those Basic Fears distort:

1 = The desire to have integrity (deteriorates into critical perfectionism)
4 = The desire to be oneself (deteriorates into self-indulgence)

And we 'morph' into another type when average (beginning to stablize) or unhealthy, thus causing confusion as to how someone might be seen. You get a picture from the geometric map of the Enneagram as to how one type goes in extreme to another when being healthy vs unhealthy. Here's another example of extreme unhealthy. The Direction of Disintegration (with Reversal):
1 = Methodical Ones suddenly become moody and irrational at Four.
4 = Aloof Fours suddenly become overinvolved and clinging at Two.

Here's then how we average out when we're a little healthier before stablising. The Direction of Integration:
1 = Angry, critical Ones become more spontaneous and joyful, like healthy Sevens.
4 = Envious, emotionally turbulent Fours become objective and principled, like healthy Ones.

Mind you, those are basic explainations from the book and they expound on them a hell of a lot further. lol I can't praise this book enough.~ Can you tell? lol

If 4w5 doesn't mean anything to you just yet, don't label yourself that way. Wait until it either does make perfect sense as the rightful you :yes: or until another equally wonderful type comes along and dissects you like no other :yay: It seems silly to choose one now because INFJs are __ lol I know we INFJs like to take instruction from others and our own type, but come on, you take away from your experience when you cop out ;) !You'd still be an INFJ if you're a 6 until it's proven otherwise, so no worries for now~

If you want I don't mind sending a bit more info on both types. I suggest doing the Quick Sorting Test at the bottom of the second link I gave first. It should narrow it down for you. Unless from all this you've finally concluded your first task :shock:

However narrowed, before each individual chappie on each Type they have a test. Each Type chapter is roughly 30 pages. But really... GET THE BOOK! hehe :D No more crappy online tests! Rejoice!

Edit: One last selfish plug. As a 4, I'm more invested in firstly knowing myself, exploring myself and then using that self-knowledge and experience into helping others, however that may be. I don't too much about 1s but from the little I've read I've surmised they might use the social norms to crusade their causes and I read that they try to control external order. I think as a 4, wanting 'uniqueness' etc, we'd go against the norms in order to show our differences (that it's also not a bad thing.).

Hope I was helpful :cry:

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took one online that was 14 pages long. Now which one was that? One of the ones you sent me to, I believe.

That'll be the Eclectic Energies one.

INTJMom, I take back what I said earlier. I don't think the SimilarMinds one is all that reliable for people like you who have a problem with deciding between two types. I think you'll end up scoring horribly similar scores on One and Five.

Really, though, did the Enneagram Institute misidentifications page not help you?

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||| 78%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 26%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness || 10%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||| 14%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||| 34%

Type 1 - 5
Type 2 - 6
Type 3 - 7
Type 4 - 7
Type 5 - 3
Type 6 - -6
Type 7 - -14
Type 8 - -7
Type 9 - -1

I always get way different scores when I take the test. I wish they would make an enneagram test that just had either/or questions and not scaled questions. One time I scored as an 8 and most certainly am not one.

I can see myself as a one because I do have a lot of integrity and desire to make a difference. Instead of going on and on, let me just bold the things that apply to me:
Ones:
* being self-disciplined and able to accomplish a great deal
* working hard to make the world a better place
* having high standards and ethics; not compromising myself
* being reasonable, responsible, and dedicated in everything I do
* being able to put facts together, coming to good understandings, and figuring out wise solutions
* being the best I can be and bringing out the best in other people

Fours:
* my ability to find meaning in life and to experience feeling at a deep level
* my ability to establish warm connections with people
* admiring what is noble, truthful, and beautiful in life
* my creativity, intuition, and sense of humor
* being unique and being seen as unique by others
* having aesthetic sensibilities
* being able to easily pick up the feelings of people around me

Now, HELP ME OUT so I can finally know what my enneagram type is for sure. I said 4w5 up until now just because most INFJs type as this, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Based on this, there are three possibilities in my eyes. Firstly, that you are a 1w2, confusing traits of your Two wing with Four traits. Secondly, that you are a One at Four, your stress point. Thirdly, that you are a Four who has integrated into or who is at least secure at One. Possibilities one and two aren't mutually exclusive, however. You could be a One (even with a Nine wing), who has disintegrated into Four.

What do you think is more likely?

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 55%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||||| 77%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 44%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||| 31%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||| 42%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||| 28%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 31%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 67%

problem is, i'm pretty damn sure i'm a one. there were a bunch of questions that i knew i was answering "wrong" for the type, but i think they were too specific or something.

edit: it says i'm SO/SP/SX, which is completely backwards.

I posted an Electic Energies one earlier which is better IM, and many others', HO. Try that. And FWIW, the variant part is ridiculous. Don't trust it.

There's an excellent and comprehensive 400 page book called The Wisdom of The Enneagram: The Complete Guide To Psychological And Spiritual Growth For The Nine Personality Types. I'd recommend it and I've seen the price has gone down, so lucky if you do~ (bought mine at $30CAN and have no regrets). It explains Enneagram history to what your childhood history might've been as your Type, and....

I've recommended it, DD's recommended it, so get out and buy it. It is the definitive resource for seriously determining your type to end all possible determinations.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Really, though, did the Enneagram Institute misidentifications page not help you?
I don't remember.
I'll have to go check.
My problem is I'm too N to understand where they're coming from when they ask me the questions. It all depends on what they mean, and compared to what. I will have to get a book and study it for myself because the online sources don't even agree with each other, or present a quantitative synthesized view that I can glean from.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I will have to get a book and study it for myself because the online sources don't even agree with each other, or present a quantitative synthesized view that I can glean from.

Don't just get any ol'book, my dear lady. Ezra and I happily recommend The Wisdom of The Enneagram. Here's a link Identifying Your Personality Type to peek at Chapter 1 pgs 9 to 18. Skim down to INTRODUCING THE NINE TYPES and read on from there but the descriptions of the Types are basic.

The rest of the book is a hell of a lot more thorough and accurate IMHO.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The book explains thoroughly and even simply. I'll give a few comparisons that wasn't mentioned on that page on 1's and 4's as for The Basic Fears of The Types:

1 = Fear of being bad, corrupt, evil, or defective.
4 = Fear of being without identity or personal significance.
Here's my problem.
I highly identify with #4.
But why?

A few years ago, in a book called Facing Shame, I learned that the reason I had an unbridled NEED TO BE IMPORTANT was because of the shame-based home I grew up in.

This need has defined me for most of my life. Is it "me" or not?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Don't just get any ol'book, my dear lady. Ezra and I happily recommend The Wisdom of The Enneagram. Here's a link Identifying Your Personality Type to peek at Chapter 1 pgs 9 to 18. Skim down to INTRODUCING THE NINE TYPES and read on from there but the descriptions of the Types are basic.

The rest of the book is a hell of a lot more thorough and accurate IMHO.
Here we go again. :rolli:

I took the quick little quiz on that page. I came out 4/5
And then reading the descriptions, I identified with 4-5-8-1 in that order -
if I look at how I have been for most of my life, not only how I am right now.
Perhaps I should just be looking at how I am now, it would maybe be easier since I was so emotionally maladjusted for so much of my life.

I used to be an 8 when I was young, but I have lost the wind from my sails and I will never be that way again. I have had moments of 8-ness.

I think 1 is who I want to be.

If there was such a thing as a bold and audacious 4, that would be me.

I am not quite a 5 because I disdain complex things.

That's clear as mud, isn't it?!

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Here's my problem.
I highly identify with #4.
But why?

A few years ago, in a book called Facing Shame, I learned that the reason I had an unbridled NEED TO BE IMPORTANT was because of the shame-based home I grew up in.

This need has defined me for most of my life. Is it "me" or not?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that, as we all lead different lives and had different experience a certain about of circumstance is involved. An 8 who is naturally ambitious by nature and is denied to express it, might supress and fears their identity or being without it.

However, those are only the very basic fears and it's put to great detail in the book. If you were treated like wall paper and no one cared for you or the idenity you had was rejected (as a child/adult w/e), it might shame you, yes. A 1 might think without their idenity they are corrupt or that due to their identity they are corrupt and a 4 might think without their identity they are no longer unique or significant. The difference is how they view identity and what it means to them. How would you express it or think you might express it if rejected? I wrote a little bit of that down in my reply to wedekit.

I couldn't explain in greater detail 'why' you feel this way. I could say from my own experience (as a 4w5) that I've realised I craft my identity when I've been depressed. "I'm gonna look mean and be quiet and people will recognise it and dare not approach!" I think, I may be mistaken, that 4s take pride in it, that they are different, whether they are humble about it or not (not all pride is bad). Does this resonate with you? Did you read the other comparisons of 1 and 4 and did 4 make sense to you as you (even if you still don't know why it does)?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Here we go again. :rolli:

Perhaps I should just be looking at how I am now, it would maybe be easier since I was so emotionally maladjusted for so much of my life.

I used to be an 8 when I was young, but I have lost the wind from my sails and I will never be that way again.

I think 1 is who I want to be.

If there was such a thing as a bold and audacious 4, that would be me.

I am not quite a 5 because I disdain complex things.

That's clear as mud, isn't it?!

Eep, you replied before me lol. But again, the book better explains it all. And those were just little examples. They by no means display the full spectrum of how the Types are, at all.

In the book, it even showcases how you might've reacted as a child, though I somewhat wonder if it's a good thing to do as I don't recall that they give happy childhood accounts. However, they do give the underlying cause for why a Type 6 child might react this way or a Type 9 child etc

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In the book, it even showcases how you might've reacted as a child, though I somewhat wonder if it's a good thing to do as I don't recall that they give happy childhood accounts. ...
Since my childhood was mostly miserable, then I am sure I will find myself in its pages.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

I forgot to mention. Even in the book it explains that we all go through various modes of being. A 4 who is oh so sensitive and introspective is capable of being highly intelligent and alert (like a 5), can be self-confident and assertive (like an 8), can be idealistic and conscientious (like a 1). It's a good thing to not just remember how you were in the past by what motivated you to turn that way you did? If you can remember @@, I barely recall what I ate this morning.

And because you were emotionally turblent, it might be harder to pin-point (or not) as you may not have had the awareness at the time or it might be hard for you to recall with accuracy certain experiences. Emotions may feel clear-cut in the present but are cloudy (at least for me~) in the past. I know it's hard for me to recall traumatic experiences in vivid detail or why I reacted a certain way, somewhat. But there was an overall theme as my situation (however bad) didn't change that much. Might be a different case for you.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I forgot to mention. Even in the book it explains that we all go through various modes of being. A 4 who is oh so sensitive and introspective is capable of being highly intelligent and alert (like a 5), can be self-confident and assertive (like an 8), can be idealistic and conscientious (like a 1). It's a good thing to not just remember how you were in the past by what motivated you to turn that way you did? If you can remember @@, I barely recall what I ate this morning.

And because you were emotionally turbulent, it might be harder to pin-point (or not) as you may not have had the awareness at the time or it might be hard for you to recall with accuracy certain experiences. Emotions may feel clear-cut in the present but are cloudy (at least for me~) in the past. I know it's hard for me to recall traumatic experiences in vivid detail or why I reacted a certain way, somewhat. But there was an overall theme as my situation (however bad) didn't change that much. Might be a different case for you.
I guess this is where I can be thankful I am a T since I spent a lot of time analyzing myself when I was young and trying to understand why I behaved the way I did. Instead of drowning in the subjectiveness of it all, I think I was very objective about it all - as objective as someone in pain can be.

I do wonder though... which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Did I need to be important because I was treated like a nobody,
or was being treated like a nobody the stimulus that brought forth my particular motivation
which happened to be the need to be important?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I guess this is where I can be thankful I am a T since I spent a lot of time analyzing myself when I was young and trying to understand why I behaved the way I did. Instead of drowning in the subjectiveness of it all, I think I was very objective about it all - as objective as someone in pain can be.

I do wonder though... which came first, the chicken or the egg?
or was being treated like a nobody the stimulus that brought forth my particular motivation

I do not believe being an F or T is valid. The full force of your being an INTJ can give you a better depiction as to how you might've acted, but what does "T" mean? Unless you mean Te. Even still. We can all analyze our situation, just how do we do it? How did we perceive it, objective or not.

I was able to rationalise my parents behaviour because I understood they were raised a certain way. I could analyze their actions and from them recognise patterns, thus avoiding when I wanted to and confronting when I wanted to, safe or not. My being treated a certain way as a child made me want to help others and when others were treated horribly I wanted to help or defend them. It was harder doing this for myself or following my own advice as I couldn't know what was best for myself. It's easier, for me IMO, to observe others and help them.

My little sister is an INTJ. While she was not abused at all, her method when angry or dealing with our parents is mostly to just dismiss them. Or rage when provoked, however rare. In fact, what helped me to reason was a particular episode where I saw her get beaten for something (her first time at age 3, I was 10). That's what helped me to get help and the abuse mostly subsided, never directed towards her ever again (and for the most of my life afterwards, too).

Whoa. Maybe it's cause I stayed up last night..but I can't wrap my head around that O_O. Chicken or egg thing, you decide, not me, I can't think :shock:

redacted

ditto, and i'm an F. Fe isn't subjective...

the analysis thing we have in common is Ni anyways.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And because you were emotionally turblent, it might be harder to pin-point (or not) as you may not have had the awareness at the time or it might be hard for you to recall with accuracy certain experiences. Emotions may feel clear-cut in the present but are cloudy (at least for me~) in the past. I know it's hard for me to recall traumatic experiences in vivid detail or why I reacted a certain way, somewhat. But there was an overall theme as my situation (however bad) didn't change that much. Might be a different case for you.
Sorry. I was only responding to this. You were right. I am not going to have the trouble you had. I don't have much or any trouble with recall.

redacted

You are most likely a type 2.

Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 1w2 or 2w1.

Type 2 - 10
Type 1 - 9.7
Type 3 - 6.7
Type 9 - 6.3
Type 4 - 5.7

Wing 2w1 - 14.8
Wing 1w2 - 14.7
Wing 2w3 - 13.3
Wing 1w9 - 12.8
Wing 3w2 - 11.7
Wing 9w1 - 11.1
Wing 3w4 - 9.6
Wing 4w3 - 9.1
Wing 9w8 - 7.3
Wing 4w5 - 6.7

this one seems more accurate. (although i'm 95% sure i'm 1w2 and not 2w1)