• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New fictional character: ESTJ or ESFJ?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've created a new character for my new novel, and I'm really proud of her. She's a poor mom with four children. The youngest son brings home a stranger (the hero of the story).

- she's very blunt, has no tact at all... beats my previous ESTJ characters.
- practical and down-to-earth
- cares a lot about good manners (is this Fe?)
- hides a soft spot for children and lost youngsters (convenient for the hero :D and my story)
- is the boss at home and everybody knows it

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How can she have no tact and yet still value manners? Isn't this a little contradictory?

"With all due respect, sir, you smell like a drunken monkey who's recently copulated."

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^Yeah, thanks... made me think about this manners thing. It's more like a set of rules to her... like:
- a man always holds the door for a woman
- you call a shaman "Master"
- you use the polite pronoun when adressing someone older than you

So indeed, this mom might say something like: "Master, you(*) aren't making any sense here."

(*) but with polite pronoun used here. Is there one in English?

This actually might be a Si thing rather than a Fe one. Doesn't need any "care about other people's feelings" reasoning behind it, only "that's how it's done".

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
English does indeed indeed lack formal pronouns.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
(*) but with polite pronoun used here. Is there one in English?

There is no "polite" pronoun in English. It used to be 'you' (with the informal being 'thou') but that got thrown out. However, in certain dialects there are plural second person pronouns: "yous" in some places, and "y'all" and "all y'all", the latter being used for exceptionally large groups of people, like crowds.