• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP/ENTP?

Neobick

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey! I'm new to this MBTI-thing and have done like three tests. On 2 of them I got INTP and on 1 ENTP. A look at the profiles makes me want to be ENTP, just cause it sounds awesome. But my doubts are high about it being possible.

Let me show you where the confrontation in the type-system is for me.

Im useless in social conversations, but I want to engage in them.

Im very impatient, always learning something, never really getting good at anything.

My thoughs always go off-track when I need to concentrate on a specific subject. Its not that I forget about the subject but I just get stuck on small things along the way. Its more like an sj-thing I Would guess.

Im trying to learn small-talk, but I just take it to serious. Like trying to joke to get it more interesting, or asking difficult questions.

There is absolutely no structure in what Im currently writing. Dont know if thats and ENTP thing. Its seems like an NP-thing.

Yeah, sorry for the spelling errors in this, english is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes ESTJes.

So whats your thoughs?

Edit: Just to be crystal clear, If I am an ENTP, I'll probably be an autistic one.

Last edited:

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
New to MBTI?

The first thing that you should know, and I'm saying this because I'm struggling with it and I really wish I knew this sooner, is that the map is not the territory. The MBTI is a test and tool that helps you get to know yourself, at the time of taking. "You are who you want to be". Although that it's true that we might have psychological dispositions towards certain types, my understanding of Jung is that the types emerge from the psyche wanting balance. In other words, if you constantly put weight on one form of behavior in your life as opposed to another, your head will try to compensate by developing another form. Thinking that this can't be changed, however, is detrimental to your mental health. :p

That said and done, the reason why I'm replying is because I tested ENTP for a while and then, out of the blue, I tested INTP. I became really obsessed because, yeah, ENTP is a really awesome description, and I wouldn't mind consistently being one. But that's what the types are: descriptions. They're descriptions of a current pattern of behavior, and are subject to your own personal interpretation. You're automatically going to find evidence for one over the other

In my opinion, it's most rational to move on with your life and act like this never happened, because thinking in terms of archetypes isn't thinking at all. During the Middle-Ages that's all we ever did, associate the world with symbolism of certain mystical elements. Psychology is a step above that, but barely. The MBTI has no empirical evidence for its validity and should be taken with a spoonful of salt rather than sugar.

Now, if I had to type you.... :)p)

Im useless in social conversations, but I want to engage in them.

Why do you want to engage them? Is it an impulse, or for the sake of justifying your type as E?

Im very impatient, always learning something, never really getting good at anything.

That's definitely an NTP trait. If your dominant function is Ti you might be more analytical and contemplative of whatever you're learning, thus spending a bit more time, but not by much (see how easy it is to pull stuff out of my ass?).

My thoughs always go off-track when I need to concentrate on a specific subject. Its not that I forget about the subject but I just get stuck on small things along the way. Its more like an sj-thing I Would guess.

It wouldn't be an SJ thing, an SJ would have the goal in mind and get stuck on the details as

Im trying to learn small-talk, but I just take it to serious. Like trying to joke to get it more interesting, or asking difficult questions.

That sounds introverted, but it gets better with time.

There is absolutely no structure in what Im currently writing. Dont know if thats and ENTP thing. Its seems like an NP-thing.

Yep. The problem with Ti (if it's the driver or the mother behind him screaming for her life) is that although it's a logical function, it applies logic in haphazard situations in according to the impulses of Ne, so check how you write.

Overall you could be an ENTP, as ENTPs tend to be the most introverted of the extroverts, next to an undeveloped ENFP. In the end, though, and I blame Forer's effect, you get to choose whether I'm validating this or not.

Finally, autism is unrelated. Correlation does not imply causation, as just like ADD is probably the most misdiagnosed disease known to man, autism is similar.

Neobick

MBTI Type
INTP
The first thing that you should know, and I'm saying this because I'm struggling with it and I really wish I knew this sooner, is that the map is not the territory. The MBTI is a test and tool that helps you get to know yourself, at the time of taking. "You are who you want to be". Although that it's true that we might have psychological dispositions towards certain types, my understanding of Jung is that the types emerge from the psyche wanting balance. In other words, if you constantly put weight on one form of behavior in your life as opposed to another, your head will try to compensate by developing another form. Thinking that this can't be changed, however, is detrimental to your mental health. :p

Yeah I know you cant really get to into this. Its not to excuse my weaknesses, its more like understanding them, and work to make them smaller. A "know your enemy" type of thing.

That said and done, the reason why I'm replying is because I tested ENTP for a while and then, out of the blue, I tested INTP. I became really obsessed because, yeah, ENTP is a really awesome description, and I wouldn't mind consistently being one. But that's what the types are: descriptions. They're descriptions of a current pattern of behavior, and are subject to your own personal interpretation. You're automatically going to find evidence for one over the other

I know, the mind is subjective even if you try it will never be objective, except maybe in math.

In my opinion, it's most rational to move on with your life and act like this never happened, because thinking in terms of archetypes isn't thinking at all. During the Middle-Ages that's all we ever did, associate the world with symbolism of certain mystical elements. Psychology is a step above that, but barely. The MBTI has no empirical evidence for its validity and should be taken with a spoonful of salt rather than sugar.

Agreed. Like most test you do online, and most subjective opinions and unvalidated studies.

Why do you want to engage them? Is it an impulse, or for the sake of justifying your type as E?

Its a wish, if I think about it. I wish sometimes that I could just engage people I know barely or dont know. Maybe the keyword is wish

Thanks for your time btw. It was helpful. I guess I just can focus down the common weaknesses of NTP, when I have the time :D.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Awww, man!

I thought the title of the thread was INFP/ENTP.

*leaves*

Neobick

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the links, I have come to the conclusion I needed. I am Introverted.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Then you're so close to perfection :D