• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really ENFx?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
During my Enneagram type searching I started to doubt my MBTI type too. I think I might br rather ENFx or ENFp rather than ENFP. I collected different objects from various of ENFP and ENFJ descriptions under different headings just to wonder my ENFx'ness. Those things bolded are also very much me.

So, I'm asking any comments/ your thougts about my type based on the things I collected and maybe the way you see me based on my writings in MBTIC (if anybody remembers any writing of mine :D )

ENFP description:

Absolutely, this is me 100%
  • At times, ENFP ’s find themselves interpreting events in terms of another’s “hidden motive,” giving special meaning to words or actions. This interpretation tends to be negative and, more often than not, inaccurately negative.
  • They can become bored rather quickly with both situations and people, and resist repeating experiences.
  • ENFP’s exercise a continuous scanning for the external environment, and nothing out of the ordinary is likely to escape their attention.
  • They are keen and penetrating observers and are capable of intense concentration on another individual while aware of what is going on about them.
  • They are typically enthusiastic, and this is contagious
  • Yet this type is marked with a fierce independence, repudiating any kind of subordination, either in themselves or in others in relation to them.
  • ENFPs are warm and sociable people who are keenly in tune with other people's feelings and perspectives.
  • They are very affirming, and get great satisfaction from supporting and lifting up others
  • In the workplace or other casual relationship environments, the ENFP is likely to get along well with almost all other types of people.
  • ENFPs are genuinely interested in people, and are highly perceptive about them, to the point where they're able to understand and relate to all of the personality types with relative ease
  • NFP types can inspire and energize any group of people. Their enthusiasm for new ways of doing things is often very contagious. They never tire of coming up with original possibilities, which are usually insightful or even ingenious.
  • The combined preferences of Extraversion, Intuition, Feeling, and Perceiving give them an exceptional capacity for dealing with a variety of people, events, or challenges--often simultaneously.
  • The ENFP has a high need to be affirming of others--and to be affirmed.
  • With a little bit of effort they can "get into another person's moccasins" and identify with that individual's thoughts and feelings so readily that they run the risk of virtually losing their own identity.
  • In this and many other ways, ENFPs are great improvisers.
  • They live in the world of possibilities, and can become very passionate and excited about things
I'm mostly like this
  • Like other EPs, ENFPs have a great deal of difficulty settling on just one career, for three reasons: They truly believe they can do most anything any want; the search for ever new fields to master is always more fun than remaining in a career already conquered; and they usually can do almost anything they set their minds to. Unfortunately, their career choices, like so many other things, may result from trying to please others.
  • They can talk their way in or out of anything.
  • Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery.
  • They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves.
I'm not like this
  • By virtue of their enthusiasm and generally accepting nature, ENFPs are highly resistant to categorizing and "putting people in boxes," and they are equally resistant to being put in boxes themselves, since they enjoy their own multifaceted personalities.
  • The basic theme of the ENFP's life is self-expression.

ENFJ:

Absolutely, this is me 100%
  • ENFJ’s have an unusual ability to relate to others with empathy, taking into themselves the characteristics, emotions, and beliefs of others.
  • This can pose a danger for ENFJ’s because they can unconsciously over-identify with others and pick up their burdens as if they were their own. In the process, ENFJ’s may risk their own sense of identity.
  • They have a natural ability to mimic because of this highly developed ability to empathize by introjection.
  • In the framework of values, however, the ENFJ is on certain ground. Generally, they know what they prefer and can read other people with outstanding accuracy.
  • ENFJs are warm, sociable people who are keenly in tune with other people's feelings and perspectives.
  • Since they live in a people-oriented world, they are not comfortable with objective judgments which do not consider people issues.
  • ENFJ types arouse support and enthusiasm for new projects. They express themselves well, especially in front of a group.
  • As a general rule, people are central and important to ENFJs. This means that if people's needs end up in conflict with rules and schedules, the ENFJ will generally put people first--though not without a sense of martyrdom or possibly guilt.
  • The ENFJ may feel quite lonely even when surrounded by people. This feeling of aloneness may be exacerbated by the tendency to not reveal their true selves.
  • Living in the world of people possibilities, they enjoy their plans more than their achievements.
  • ENFJ’s place a high value on cooperation from others and are most willing to cooperate themselves.
  • The will excel at getting along with all sorts of people when the situation demands that they do so.
  • ENFJs do not like dealing with impersonal reasoning. They don't understand or appreciate its merit, and will be unhappy in situations where they're forced to deal with logic and facts without any connection to a human element.
  • They get excited about possibilities for the future, but may become easily bored and restless with the present.
I'm mostly like this
  • ENFJ’s place people as being of highest importance and priority.
  • They are influential, therefore, in groups, having no hesitate on about speaking out, no matter how large or small the group may be.
  • The ENFJ has the capacity to size up a situation Intuitively and, in a very caring and concerned way, say just the right thing.
  • ENFJ's tend to be more reserved about exposing themselves than other extraverted types.
  • Although they may have strongly-felt beliefs, they're likely to refrain from expressing them if doing so would interfere with bringing out the best in others.
  • Because their strongest interest lies in being a catalyst of change in other people, they're likely to interact with others on their own level, in a chameleon-like manner, rather than as individuals.
  • Which is not to say that the ENFJ does not have opinions. ENFJs have definite values and opinions which they're able to express clearly and succinctly.
  • When faced with a conflict between a strongly-held value and serving another person's need, they are highly likely to value the other person's needs.
  • ENFJs like for things to be well-organized, and will work hard at maintaining structure and resolving ambiguity. They have a tendency to be fussy, especially with their home environments.
  • They enjoy being the center of attention, and do very well in situations where they can inspire and lead others, such as teaching.
  • Their genuine interest in Humankind and their exceptional intuitive awareness of people makes them able to draw out even the most reserved individuals.
  • They're very loyal and trustworthy once involved in a relationship.
I'm like this sometimes
  • ENFJ’s are outstanding leaders of groups, both task groups and growth groups. => I don’t know about the outstanding leader part. I like to take charge on a group situation but if there is another person with stronger desire I let them take over.
  • ENFJs are interested in all sorts of people, and are likely to be able to understand and relate to all of the personality types.

My results from that congnitive functions test
I usually do get all N and F functions before any S or T function in these tests!

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (43.2) excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) (40.9) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) (39.8) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) (34.8) good use
extraverted Sensing (Se) (28.6) average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) (20.9) limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) (17.4) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) (14.4) unused

ENFP NeFiTeSi NiFeTiSe
Me NeFi FeNi SeTi TeSi
ENFJ FeNiSeTi FiNeSiTe

So, any thoughts after this looong post?

Last edited:

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're just over-complicating the matter.

Either you have Ne and Fi in your Ego, or you have Fe and Ni in your Ego. They're both very different. Figure out which one it is.

Also, have a look at some of the characteristics of J and of P, and look at yourself in conjunction with said characteristics. You are either/or; I find it very hard to believe you're both, even if you're almost centred. I, for example, am around 20% more J than P. What are you best at doing? What do you prefer doing? Being spontaneous or planning out and sticking to it? There are of course other factors involved, but I can't think of them right now.

One more thing. Descriptions will often over exaggerate. People believe that if they don't write out to-do and shopping lists, they cannot be J. This is bullshit. What if they make a mental note? What about if they have and like routines in every aspect of their life? What if they decided that writing this out was impractical, and didn't work? They can still have Te as a dominant function.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think you're just over-complicating the matter.

Either you have Ne and Fi in your Ego, or you have Fe and Ni in your Ego. They're both very different. Figure out which one it is.

Also, have a look at some of the characteristics of J and of P, and look at yourself in conjunction with said characteristics. You are either/or; I find it very hard to believe you're both, even if you're almost centred. What are you best at doing? What do you prefer doing? Being spontaneous or planning out and sticking to it? There are of course other factors involved, but I can't think of them right now.

It's not that easy because I think my strongest functions are Ne and Fe. And that is not possible according to theory. But what theory is 100% right anyway? So, it's totally possible that I'm ENFx, not really ENFP or ENFJ.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
It's not that easy because I think my strongest functions are Ne and Fe. And that is not possible according to theory. But what theory is 100% right anyway? So, it's totally possible that I'm ENFx, not really ENFP or ENFJ.

Meh, just decide if you are left or right brain dominant and go with the associated function.

Left=J
Right=P

There are plenty of brain hemisphere dominance tests online.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Meh, just decide if you are left or right brain dominant and go with the associated function.

Left=J
Right=P

Isn't the theory that women use their left side more and men use their right? Well then, that settles it, Alcearos. Are you a man or a woman?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Left=J
Right=P

That's funny because I always score as balanced brain in those tests.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Left=J
Right=P

Isn't the theory that women use their left side more and men use their right? Well then, that settles it, Alcearos. Are you a man or a woman?

I'm a Woman and balanced brained.

But...
According to brain hemisphere theory:
There are right hemisphere dominant brains, left hemisphere dominant brains and balanced brains. According to therory most of women are right hemisphere brained, some balaced and some left hemisphere brained. And same applies to men in reverse order: most men are left brained etc.

The ultimate left hemisphere brained person is authistic.

I read this all from one book that handled brain hemispheres but I cannot remember the name of the book or author. Sorry.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
It amuses me that I would give the exact same answers on the ENFP - 'this is not like me' and J vs. P questions. Not the ENFJ description though.

I'm not sure what I think about 'being ENFX' but I'm open to the possibility. Maybe it's possible to be both Ne and Fe. I wouldn't know, since I use Fe very little. I would like for it to be possible. That could be quite interesting.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It amuses me that I would give the exact same answers on the ENFP - 'this is not like me' and J vs. P questions. Not the ENFJ description though.

I'm not sure what I think about 'being ENFX' but I'm open to the possibility. Maybe it's possible to be both Ne and Fe. I wouldn't know, since I use Fe very little. I would like for it to be possible. That could be quite interesting.

The other option is that I'm ENFp.

The J-P thing really confuses me because I really love to order things and I love to make plans. But when it comes to realization of those plans, I like to keep my options open to change them at the last minute! Another example, a clean and orderly home makes me feel good and relaxed but I cannot keep my house that way most of the time. So, I prefer the orderly in theory but in reality I'm not very successful in keeping the order. I also love to make budgets, to do lists, long-term plans etc but when it comes to fulfil the plans, I like to change the realization. I do get satisfaction of getting things done and organized but that is not the main thing most of the time.

I can be very good in planning, organizing and realization of things. I did that while studying at the university. I planned my studies, completed the courses that I planned and graduated as planned. I also worked quite many hours per week the whole time, so it was really accomplishment. (Another thing is that I really had no social life during that time. I was studying or working, nothing else.) On the other hand, I can be very P, moody and not to plan anything.

So, go figure that out! ;)

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Figure it out? I'm the same way. I've had several times in my life, huge chunks of time, where I've been totally organized, decluttered and kept my house clean. I've followed routines to the letter. I feel much more enjoyment when my home is nice and neat around me. But I've realised every time I go into that mode, super-organised-get-things-done-on-time-and-don't-procrastinate that I don't feel like myself at all. Now it's a balance. My schoolwork and notes and things like that are usually extremely organised. I'm talking colour-coded post-it notes and colour-coordinated pens etc. I get quite upset if my cds aren't in order or if something ends up in the wrong drawer, yet I'm capable of creating an extremely chaotic mess around me in around twelve hours. I make shopping lists, budgets etc. in Excel all the time, but impulse shop anyway. I really like being organised, but hate to follow through. I don't think it's the exclusive domain of J to like organisation, in fact I think lots of Ps love it, but are generally speaking not quite as good at the execution of organisation as Js. A J doesn't necessarily have to be extremely organised either.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Figure it out? I'm the same way. I've had several times in my life, huge chunks of time, where I've been totally organized, decluttered and kept my house clean. I've followed routines to the letter. I feel much more enjoyment when my home is nice and neat around me. But I've realised every time I go into that mode, super-organised-get-things-done-on-time-and-don't-procrastinate that I don't feel like myself at all. Now it's a balance. My schoolwork and notes and things like that are usually extremely organised. I'm talking colour-coded post-it notes and colour-coordinated pens etc. I get quite upset if my cds aren't in order or if something ends up in the wrong drawer, yet I'm capable of creating an extremely chaotic mess around me in around twelve hours. I make shopping lists, budgets etc. in Excel all the time, but impulse shop anyway. I really like being organised, but hate to follow through. I don't think it's the exclusive domain of J to like organisation, in fact I think lots of Ps love it, but are generally speaking not quite as good at the execution of organisation as Js. A J doesn't necessarily have to be extremely organised either.

I was referring to myself with that comment “go figure it out” ;).

I there are quite many good points in your writing. Thanks! :) I think I'm getting on track with my ENFp'ness again. :D

My MBTI journey was like ESTJ -> ESFJ -> ENFJ -> ENFP. So that is why I started again to wonder the possibility of me maybe being ENFJ. The other fact is that Fe function really feels something that is very strong in me and the ENFJ description mainly very like me. ´

Anyway, maybe I'm making things difficult for myself (again) with this thing. :violin:

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Hmm - after rereading the ENFJ description I'd say that probably half applies to me. After all, the descriptions are quite similar. I can see how it can be hard to determine. I'll follow your conclusions on your type with interest :smile:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hmm - after rereading the ENFJ description I'd say that probably half applies to me. After all, the descriptions are quite similar. I can see how it can be hard to determine. I'll follow your conclusions on your type with interest :smile:

:D

I guess I'm more P than I imagined because I cannot decide even my own type. :happy:

redacted

ENFJ and ENFP look very different IMO. ENFP has much more of an all-over-the-place style of talking and socializing due to dominant Ne. ENFPs are more into their personal values as opposed to group values, etc. also, they are more prone to writing things off that are "bad" or that "they just don't want to believe".

ENFJs are more linear in their actions, and they are probably less "wacky" than ENFPs. Fe is dominant, so their values relate to group harmony. when an ENFJ writes something off, it's probably getting in the way of group harmony.

Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

compare Ne/Fi to Fe/Ni. very different.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
ENFJ and ENFP look very different IMO. ENFP has much more of an all-over-the-place style of talking and socializing due to dominant Ne. ENFPs are more into their personal values as opposed to group values, etc. also, they are more prone to writing things off that are "bad" or that "they just don't want to believe".

ENFJs are more linear in their actions, and they are probably less "wacky" than ENFPs. Fe is dominant, so their values relate to group harmony. when an ENFJ writes something off, it's probably getting in the way of group harmony.

Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

compare Ne/Fi to Fe/Ni. very different.

I think the above is a really good description of the differences between ENFP and ENFJ. The Ne/Fi and Fe/Ni is really very different and while their are definately similarities between the two types you find your greatest difference in the Ne/Fi Fe/Ni.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I'm a Woman and balanced brained.

But...
According to brain hemisphere theory:
There are right hemisphere dominant brains, left hemisphere dominant brains and balanced brains. According to therory most of women are right hemisphere brained, some balaced and some left hemisphere brained. And same applies to men in reverse order: most men are left brained etc.

The ultimate left hemisphere brained person is authistic.

I read this all from one book that handled brain hemispheres but I cannot remember the name of the book or author. Sorry.

Why is it that after reading those last few post of yours I thought you would say that you are a Hermaphrodite?
eusa_think.gif

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
New theory?

But seriously, my ENFx’ness would be possible in the aspect of the following assumptions:
  • The theory about right brained, balanced brained and left brained is true
  • Leonora Thompson’s following assumptions are true (Personality Type An Owners Manual, p.72): "J types use Extraverted Thinking or Extraverted Feeling for their outward behaviours. These functions activate more areas in the left hemisphere of the brain. P types use Extraverted Sensation or Extraverted Intuition for their outward behaviors. These functions activate more areas in the right hemisphere of the brain."
  • So then Ne is right brain hemisphere dominant function and Fe right brain hemisphere dominant function
  • Ne and Fe score both high in the my function tests result
  • I’m balanced brained
This all means that me as a balanced brained person cannot really decide my dominant function because I use my brain hemispheres equally. So according to these assumptions it would totally be possible to be ENFx.

So, anybody with confusion to choose J or P + who has mixed up function set + who are balanced brained could have x instead of J or P as their last preference.

What do you say? (I’m sure NT’s will find lots of faults in my theory. ;))

(And please don't take this too seriously, I'm just playing with the possibilities. :yes: )

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
The J-P thing really confuses me because I really love to order things and I love to make plans. But when it comes to realization of those plans, I like to keep my options open to change them at the last minute! Another example, a clean and orderly home makes me feel good and relaxed but I cannot keep my house that way most of the time. So, I prefer the orderly in theory but in reality I'm not very successful in keeping the order. I also love to make budgets, to do lists, long-term plans etc but when it comes to fulfil the plans, I like to change the realization. I do get satisfaction of getting things done and organized but that is not the main thing most of the time.

I can be very good in planning, organizing and realization of things. I did that while studying at the university. I planned my studies, completed the courses that I planned and graduated as planned. I also worked quite many hours per week the whole time, so it was really accomplishment. (Another thing is that I really had no social life during that time. I was studying or working, nothing else.) On the other hand, I can be very P, moody and not to plan anything.

So, go figure that out! ;)

I think an ENFP can be quite capable of organisation and planning and the like, if they are interested and involved. I find it very difficult to remain interested for more than a few months straight, but then again, my P is quite strong, I believe. Someone with a weaker P may well be better at being organised for longer.

The bolded part sounds very much like me - I make detailled plans for the future all the time... I just never get around to actually using them. ;)

There was another thread somewhere... where people posted their results to the cognitive functions test?

I noticed that of the three ENFPs that had posted (me included), all of them had very high Fe (sometimes even higher than their Fi)... I'm not sure whether than means the test is inaccurate, all of us have misunderstood it, or the ENFP really does use Fe as much as Fi, but it does mean that getting a result of Fe is not uncommon at all.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Conveniently I found a "paper" where the authors (John Fudjack and Patricia Dinkelaker) are criticizing the MBTI J/P.

They are criticizing the J/P for different reasons than I'm wondering my J/P but anyway. ;)