• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ/INTP/INTx

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I consistently test as an INTJ on the standard mbti tests, though recently i have taken two tests that incorporated "functions", and as it turns out, according to these tests my functions are the same as that of an INTP.My j/p was always the least pronounced of my preferences anyway.

So i have decided to list some of my possible INTP and INTJ traits, and see what you guys have to say on the matter.

INTJ

-I am confident

-I am assertive

-I prefer to lead mainly because i usually can't count on anyone else to do it right.

INTP

-not hyper-organized (though i wouldnt categorize myself as sloppy either)

-I could be considered an under-acheiver

-I sometimes get sidetracked on information that does not pertain to what I am doing at the moment.

Your input is appreciated.Feel free to ask anything else that you think would be necessary to type me, I know this is a little vague.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
How long does it take you to come to opinions? In fact, are opinions of much interest to you at all, or are you more concerned with simply deciding what you need to do next?

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It depends I can come to an opinion quickly if I have adequate information, but naturally i want to fully understand something before i form an opinion. Opinions are of great importance to me.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
It depends I can come to an opinion quickly if I have adequate information, but naturally i want to fully understand something before i form an opinion. Opinions are of great importance to me.

Do you find a lack of information inhibits you from taking action? Which situation would you find it hardest to make decision in? One where you had all the information to hand, but were unsure if the potential course of action was something you really wanted to do OR one where you knew what you felt like doing, but lacked the information to really make an informed choice?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
How much time do you spend on gathering information?
Do you search within yourself for answers or do you search for it from others/wait for it to come?

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
@Andy, a lack of information would not generally prevent me from taking action. Although I prefer to do my research before I take action, I can go off of whatever information I have if neccessary.

To answer your second question I would probably be more uncomfortable with the first choice.

@Bluegray, I spend alot of time gathering information, but I usually lose interest in a particular topic once i have gathered enough information to have a reasonable understanding of whatever I am researching.

I am constantly searching for answers within myself.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Thank you. Which of these problems besets you the most?

a) Being overwhelmed by emotions generated by your interactions with other people.
b) Over indulgance of physical pleasure or being excessively spartan, especially if you oscillate between the two states.
c) Getting stuck in a rut, or being unable to come up with a sensible alternative to an old habit.

Don't worry about all my negative questions - I just have a negative mind. I often find it easier to type people by picking out their weaknesses and problems. That was how I typed myself!

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think I have a pretty good idea of your type now, but one last question, just to be sure. When you are presented with a new idea, principal or fact do you spend more time trying to decide whether or not it is reliable (in that you can be sure it will not fail when used for somthing important) OR trying to decide how true it is (in that the idea is what it looks like, rather than being a reflection of something else).

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Then I can now reveal what I believe your type is. Drum roll, please... Your type is.... ISTJ!

Ok, I know that wasn't one of the options you put up, but let me take you through my reasoning.

In the first question, I presented two situation. One in which the problem was a lack of information, the other came from your own emotions. You said that the emotional situation would be the hardest for you to resolve. In introverts, the inability to reach a decision often comes from the weakness teritary, which suggested that your third function was a feeling function, probably Fi. This suggested ITJ. An INTP, on the other hand, has weak Si, and they are often paralysied by lack of information instead. In an ISTJ, Si is primary, highly developed and able to work with comparitively smaller amounts of info.

The second question I asked was essentially about the inferior. Inferior Fe (ITPs) can create problems in dealing with emotions generated by interactions with other people. Inferior Se (INJs) leads to physical over indulgence or physical neglect. Inferior Ne (ISJs) leads to an inability to break old habits or concoct realistic alternatives. You went for the last, which was consistent with ISTJ.

My final question was about the primary. Si is characterised by seeking out information which is considered reliable, so that good decisions can be made on a foundation of sound ideas. The other option was more Ni, which tries to work out how true things are -whether something only works because of something else that lies beneath. Again you chose the Si answer. Thus, over all I see you as an ISTJ.

Don't worry about what all those online tests ask you, they are unreliable, and frequently over diagnose people as intuitives. Both the ITJs look inside themselves for answers, they just do so in different ways. Both are forward planners, but with different motivations.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
EWWW,istj?NOOOOOO!

j/k but in all seriousness a sensor is one thing I am certain I am not. I have offbase political beleifs and despise traditionalists,rules, and regulations. In all the online tests i took (even though I realize you said they over diagnose people as Ns) N was my strongest trait with the exception of introversion on one of them.

The only reason I answered C is because I had one particular habit in mind; the one I have in mind is probably a result of my introversion.

I appreciate your input, but i will have to disagree.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have offbase political beleifs and despise traditionalists,rules, and regulations.

Actually, none of those things stop someone from being an ISTJ. The SJs have an undeserved reputation for being rule-bound, mindless traditionalists, but it's not really true. The essential essence of the ISTJ isn't to simply preserve and repeat what has gone before, but rather to determine what ideas, principals and facts can be called upon to do what needs to be done in the most reliable way available. Each ISTJ goes through their own process of determining what those principals are, and they often come to conclusions that are at odds with the majority opinion.

The stereotypes surrounding ISTJs often reflect upon the worst examples of the type - the immature and the unhealthy. A balanced, intelligent ISTJ will get as brassed off with thoughtless tradition as anyone else. Once a principal has passed it's sell by date, they will let it go and switch to another tactic. ISTJs prefer things they know will work, but when all the familiar choices will fail, the smart Si answer is to take the unkown, as possible failure is better than certain failure!

I actualy doubled checked this answer with the extra question at the end, looking for signs of both the primary and the inferior. You can disagree with me, of course, but before you throw the opinion out, I would advise you to go to the guard house and read through some of the threads where the SJs talk about themselves. That wopuld be far more reliable than reading all those terrible, inaccurate descriptions of them you find on line. You'll make up your own mind, of course, which is as it should be. Have fun.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Andy,
As lurker of this thread, I want to say you THANKS!
Because I am usually undecided between INTP and INTJ and in according to your small test I am INTP. I answered "lack of information" because is the worst thing for me (and, I add, probably with Ne who scan continuosly the reality and overgenerate patterns, informations are never enough. Do you agree?), and I answered "problems in dealing with emotions generated by interactions with other people" as one of my main issues.
Thank you again! Bye.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Andy,
As lurker of this thread, I want to say you THANKS!
Because I am usually undecided between INTP and INTJ and in according to your small test I am INTP. I answered "lack of information" because is the worst thing for me (and, I add, probably with Ne who scan continuosly the reality and overgenerate patterns, informations are never enough. Do you agree?), and I answered "problems in dealing with emotions generated by interactions with other people" as one of my main issues.
Thank you again! Bye.

I'm glad you found it useful!

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@OP

INTJ most likely. Reliability plays a role in practicality, especially when a goal needs to be accomplished. In that case, time is of the essence.

In addition, I don't believe "N's" are so rare.