• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Newbie needs help

Milewicz

Hey all,

I'm a newcomer to the forums and while I've studied the mbti for a long time, I've really had a very difficult time typing myself. I'm looking for help from the pros here and I would *really* like to get this right. I know there are many other things that should influence who a person is and how they live their life, but this is a block I just haven't been able to get around. So I'm desperate in trying to get this right.

As for me:

I love having the time I need to do the things I want.
I really like having control over how I dress, and office buildings freak me out.
I have to be able to use my brain and respect the quality of work I've done.
For Gardner's MI, I'm pretty heavily visual-spatial, logical/math, and intrapersonal (meaning self-knowledge), though my verbal, interpersonal and bodily/kinesthetic are also reasonably strong.
Despite my need for "down time" and self-reflection, I have a hard time going without people.
When some people say "Life is short," I don't think "let's have a beer," I instead try to focus and go for the thing that I'd regret most not having gone for.
I have a tendency to get intense and focused, which I really like, and ideally I'd like "all the pieces to fit together" with respect to my friends & family/work/purpose in life/and life lived.
I am very much "a leader" at work and I tend to "embrace" the things that are really important.

I know this is probably all a ton to read and consider, but I'm *really* trying to get this (and life) right, so any help would be awesome, and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you in advance.:)

--John

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um.. not enough information here to tell.

From what I gather here, you seem to be quite independent, wanting to be free and be able to do the things you choose, you want the most out of life. Work hard/play hard. Living life to the fullest, not wanting society to choose what's right for you. You are also having trouble placing yourself in one of the 16 "boxes" of MBTI. That's what i'm getting, does that sound right? My first impression is SP- specifically ISTP. (If it's based on that information.)

Snow Turtle

I'm leaning towards XXFJ myself. Then it'd be EXFJ but a little less certain. (Jeez that makes me sound so biased)

What's your own opinion of yourself?

Milewicz

Thank you both. I'm working hard at it in an effort to figure it out...

I found this piece of information that categorized four different mental processes:

A Quadrant: Analytical thinking.

* Key word: logical, factual, critical, technical and quantitative.
* Preferred activities: collecting data, listening to informational lectures, reading textbooks. Judging ideas based on facts, criteria and logical reasoning.

B Quadrant: Sequential thinking.

* Key word: conservative, structured, organised, detailed, and planned.
* Preferred activities: following directions, repetitive detailed homework problems, time management and schedules.

C Quadrant: Interpersonal thinking

* Key word: kinaesthetic, emotional, spiritual, sensory, feeling.
* Preferred activities: listening to and sharing ideas, looking for personal meaning, sensory input, and group study.

D Quadrant: Imaginative thinking.

* Key word: Visual, holistic, intuitive, innovative, and conceptual.
* Preferred activities: Looking at the big picture, taking initiative, simulations (what if questions), visual aids. Appreciate beauty of a problem, brainstorming.

I am definitely not B, which to me is often associated with ISTJ/ESTJ types, but I definitely think of myself as part of the other three. I start to feel rather surreal and "not like myself" when I'm *too* reliant on A, though I like having it in my arsenal...

I'm going to keep doing research...

Snow Turtle

Look up the cognitive functions. Tell us the top 3 you identify with, and the bottom three you least identify with.

Milewicz

Look up the cognitive functions. Tell us the top 3 you identify with, and the bottom three you least identify with.

Hey Kai,

Thanks for responding. I've worked hard at studying the cognitive functions and seeing where I fit in, and I seem to fit some sort of bizarre INTJ, ENFJ, ENTP, INFJ, ENFP combined type. Vague, I know.

The largest consistency I get is N over S. After that, it gets dicey fast. I think I'd have a hard time going without Ni or Ti, and to a degree, Fe. But I think my Ne and Fi kick in an awful lot, too. I sometimes think my F comes in a relief (like 3rd) function regularly, but it's hard to tell.

I know this isn't the exact answer you were looking for, but it's the one I've got.

Thanks again.

John

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
not to sound like a shameless self promoter here, but this thread might help you out a bit on S v N as well ;)

though if it helps any, I somehow am getting an impression of ISFJ with strong Te :thinking:

Snow Turtle

Hey Kai,

Thanks for responding. I've worked hard at studying the cognitive functions and seeing where I fit in, and I seem to fit some sort of bizarre INTJ, ENFJ, ENTP, INFJ, ENFP combined type. Vague, I know.

The largest consistency I get is N over S. After that, it gets dicey fast. I think I'd have a hard time going without Ni or Ti, and to a degree, Fe. But I think my Ne and Fi kick in an awful lot, too. I sometimes think my F comes in a relief (like 3rd) function regularly, but it's hard to tell.

I know this isn't the exact answer you were looking for, but it's the one I've got.

Thanks again.

John

If you feel that your more N than S. Then I'm inclined to go with ENFJ. But do the test and post the results. INFJ isn't out of the question. You'd be a sub-variations of INFJ though.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP from that.
-The emphasis on analysis and the need to recharge.
-You've said N is the only thing that comes up consistently, that's enough for me. (you don't seem like much of a sensor either
-The analysis again, it's sort of T like.
-Informal style, almost carefree.

Milewicz

I landed this:

extraverted Sensing (Se)********************** (22.4) limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ********** (10.1) unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38) excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************** (46.1) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.6) good use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************* (25.5)
average use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************ (24.6)
average use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.9)
excellent use

I pretty much would have expected this--heavy Fi, Ni, Ne, and some amount of Te/Ti. Okay, so I feel like I've made some progress. On the bottom of the test, it suggested INFP, with INTJ as potential second. I could see that.