User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 52

  1. #11
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    I don't think you're a Perceiving type, just based on your word choices, proper punctuation, and lack of spelling errors. You were very specific and easy to follow. And I wouldn't worry too much about your age, as long as you don't derail threads or make trouble... some of the people in their 20's here still haven't matured enough to post intelligently, as a matter of fact.

    You seem IJ-ish, but I can't really discriminate T/F or S/N. I'm gravitating towards INTJ as being likely for you based on the available information... your disorganization may be more lack of S than lack of J (since I rarely clean/organize my folders... and though I usually get work done on time, sometimes I forget or become distracted and end up rushing at the last minute.) Also, some INTJ's have a tendency to be compulsively polite, although just as many are rude.

    Oh, and you probably shouldn't trust that test. It pegs practically everyone who tends to be curious and meticulous in their studies of an abstract concept as INTP. The definitions of the functions don't necessarily fall within the lines they've drawn, and I tend to think the functional order test is intrinsically flawed in crucial ways.

  2. #12
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Hmmm...perhaps you should test your Jungian cognitive functions to determine your type. Here is a test where such can be done:
    The test is really not capable of determining your true cognitive process. Depending on what day I take that assessment, any cognitive process can be in dominant mode. I have tested INJ, INTP, ENTP and ESTP based on how I was adapting to my environment during the period. There is no quick and easy way to determine type, especially for those preferring perceiving to judging. Finding out your temperament then your interaction style seems to be the most viable means. Otherwise, the test are only as viable as the person is truthful to themselves.

  3. #13
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    You are INTP. I must say, athenian200, I think you are very wrong in your assessment. Your statements on perceiving types and word choice, spelling and so on is pretty superficial and provocative. I can guarantee you most INTPs, the type with the highest average IQ, are very good writers, with few mistakes, and an excellent ability to communicate something with clarity. To me Ti is the voice of clarity, in contrast with for example Ni, which I consider very personal, and hard to communicate. I do think Ni becomes a very powerful weapon in communication though, if the user masters to communicate it, but I think few do that well, me being an excellent example of not being able to communicate it well.

  4. #14
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ...
    Oh, and you probably shouldn't trust that test. It pegs practically everyone who tends to be curious and meticulous in their studies of an abstract concept as INTP. The definitions of the functions don't necessarily fall within the lines they've drawn, and I tend to think the functional order test is intrinsically flawed in crucial ways.
    I agree.

  5. #15
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    You are INTP. I must say, athenian200, I think you are very wrong in your assessment. Your statements on perceiving types and word choice, spelling and so on is pretty superficial and provocative. I can guarantee you most INTPs, the type with the highest average IQ, are very good writers, with few mistakes, and an excellent ability to communicate something with clarity.
    Well, maybe we associate with different INTPs... most of the ones I know (much to my usually unexpressed chagrin) couldn't care less about spelling. Perhaps they communicate clearly to most people, but I have trouble understanding them because they often make generalizations, and I usually need to understand any exceptions and the reasons for them in order to make sense of what I'm dealing with. I'm not saying they aren't intelligent, quite the opposite... they have a different kind of intelligence, the P's right-brained sort, as opposed to a J's left-brained kind. I'm just saying that in my experience, they struggle to explain the details of an idea in a way I can understand without asking them to clarify on several points. Of course, they do eventually express their idea clearly if you ask the right questions, and it's usually very insightful. They're usually capable of expressing their ideas more clearly than FP's, but they still struggle in similar ways.

    I don't see why my idea is provocative or superficial. Most believe that J's are left-brained, and P's are right-brained. And right-brained individuals are more spatial than verbal, meaning that on average, they'll tend to have more difficulty expressing themselves via language. Such people are usually better at "seeing the big picture," designing a new system, or inventing a novel solution, though, so it's more an explanation of a trade-off than a proclamation that one type is better than another.

    To me Ti is the voice of clarity, in contrast with for example Ni, which I consider very personal, and hard to communicate. I do think Ni becomes a very powerful weapon in communication though, if the user masters to communicate it, but I think few do that well, me being an excellent example of not being able to communicate it well.
    There are aspects of it that are hard to communicate, but I encounter them infrequently. In fact, communication/writing is one of my better skills... I'm not particularly good with art, mathematics, or any sort of physical activity, which are (typically) the domain of right-brained individuals.

    When you say that Ni is very personal/incommunicable... are you sure you aren't referring to Fi? Also, I don't see how any Introverted function could be strongly related to clarity of expression (although it might be related to clarity of understanding/thought)... they are only expressed as their affect on the expression of the Extraverted function, and aren't expressed directly/outwardly.

  6. #16
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't see why my idea is provocative or superficial. Most believe that J's are left-brained, and P's are right-brained. And right-brained individuals are more spatial than verbal, meaning that on average, they'll tend to have more difficulty expressing themselves via language. Such people are usually better at "seeing the big picture," designing a new system, or inventing a novel solution, though, so it's more an explanation of a trade-off than a proclamation that one type is better than another.
    Ability to spell correctly correlations heavily with intelligence, just as heavily as the language tasks you see in IQ tests. Actually it correlates more heavily with intelligence than word recognition. So when the INTP type has the highest average IQ, it means they should be one of the best types at spelling. And indeed it is my experience they are. (Source: Staveferdighet utvikles over tid I am sorry it is in Norwegian though.)

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    There are aspects of it that are hard to communicate, but I encounter them infrequently. In fact, communication/writing is one of my better skills... I'm not particularly good with art, mathematics, or any sort of physical activity, which are (typically) the domain of right-brained individuals.

    When you say that Ni is very personal/incommunicable... are you sure you aren't referring to Fi? Also, I don't see how any Introverted function could be strongly related to clarity of expression (although it might be related to clarity of understanding/thought)... they are only expressed as their affect on the expression of the Extraverted function, and aren't expressed directly/outwardly.
    What I was saying was that most INJs were not very skilled at communicating Ni. It might be INFJs are better than INTJs, because of their people-oriented Fe. Anyhow, the reason why you do not often encounter this problem might very well be that you are one of those INJs skilled at communicating Ni.

  7. #17
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Most believe that J's are left-brained, and P's are right-brained. And right-brained individuals are more spatial than verbal, meaning that on average, they'll tend to have more difficulty expressing themselves via language. Such people are usually better at "seeing the big picture," designing a new system, or inventing a novel solution, though, so it's more an explanation of a trade-off than a proclamation that one type is better than another.

    There are aspects of it that are hard to communicate, but I encounter them infrequently. In fact, communication/writing is one of my better skills... I'm not particularly good with art, mathematics, or any sort of physical activity, which are (typically) the domain of right-brained individuals.
    The problem I have with right/left brain being associated with P/J is that it is common (at least on this board, and I reckon in real life too) for people to use both sides fairly equally. As for myself, with any 'brain test' I've taken online, I always come out with using the two sides equally, or there's a one point difference.

    And in real life, I don't think it's uncommon for Intuitives to excel in both your logical/scientific pursuits as well as your music/artistic ones. Often I think the two can go hand in hand.

    It's one thing that caused me a bit of an 'identity crisis' growing up. I excelled at school work (science, math...really, everything), and communication, particularly written, has always been one of my strengths - it is frequently cited as my key strength in job performance reviews.

    On the other hand, I was equally gifted at music growing up, math has always come rather easily for me (aside from 3D calc, but that's beside the point ;-), and I was very much inclined towards the arts growing up - painting, drawing, creative stuff...in fact I had a lot more enjoyment pursuing the arts than theory. However, I sucked at team sports. hehe.

    So I don't know that I'm a fan of pinpointing right/left to P/J, unless you're talking *extreme* P's or J's, and then possibly there's some validity to it. But otherwise....I don't know. It just seems like trying to join two theories together that perhaps shouldn't be joined. Seems like there'd be a LOT of people who it wouldn't really apply to. On the other hand, by joining the two, it would provide explanation for why so many people waver on the P/J thing, and never fully know which one they are, and never seem like one or the other........
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #18
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't think you're a Perceiving type, just based on your word choices, proper punctuation, and lack of spelling errors. You were very specific and easy to follow. And I wouldn't worry too much about your age, as long as you don't derail threads or make trouble... some of the people in their 20's here still haven't matured enough to post intelligently, as a matter of fact.
    I do agree that the assessment as most, seems to result in INTP when a choice is in the air therefore would rule out INTP for that fact. When taking the Step II, it resulted in me being INTP. I must also agree with Splittet is correct that your assessment seems flawed since the definition of Ti is
    Introverted Thinking - Analyzing, categorizing, and figuring out how something works. Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, there is a search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system.

  9. #19
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I must also agree with Splittet is correct that your assessment seems flawed since the definition of Ti is
    I know that. I just meant that perhaps that those definitions (which are the same as those the test uses for its questions), may also be flawed, perhaps mixing parts of some functions into descriptions of others, creating a certain amount of confusion.

    I agree that Ti's generally have a strong sense of what "is," and how and why it "is," but they're not always good at expressing it verbally. They don't seem quite as oriented to language as J's, and I've had more than one tell me they don't think verbally. But I know that I have a tendency to do so. Also, I'm not referring to vocabulary so much as to punctuation, spelling, and other grammatical rules, which often seem like artificial/pointless ideas to INTP's. I'll admit they have good enough vocabularies, though. My other issue is that they can be very broad in what they say, or even offer information that isn't obviously related to what I was talking about, and thus avoid addressing my point.

  10. #20
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virlomi View Post
    To start, I'm female, a junior in high school, and pretty atheistic.
    While this does not lead to a conclusion, it is entirely possible that you are an ISTP that is still undergoing development. Teens test vastly more N than S, especially early on. This doesn't mean anything one way or the other, but it may be difficult to determine because you haven't fully developped cognitively.

Similar Threads

  1. Type clarification am I really what I think I am?
    By Jayce in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM
  2. Each type in 3 words.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM
  3. No Type
    By paulwhy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
  4. Greetings all! Confused type seeking clarification!
    By ChocolateYoda in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO