User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    Well, there is this...uh...friend of mine. He insists that he's an ISTJ, but I think that he's more of an ISTP. To break the deadlock, I'll ask you guys your opinions. He's not such a big fan of online tests; besides, I hardly ever get him to do what I want him to when I ask. I'll give you a few examples:

- He's a generous, giving person, but unscrupulous people will exploit this
    - He has a lot of self-confidence
    - He lives for the moment
    - He can be insensitive, yet he seems to dislike conflict
    - He will listen to your opinion and constructive criticism, but he often refuses to apply it in favour of his own (sometimes erroneous) judgements
    - He's impulsive
    - He's VERY poor with money
    - He's a rational person, but gets emotional when upset
    - He can be controlling at times
    - He tends to delay things
    - He can back up his actions with words, but he doesn't do this consistently
    - He likes company when he goes driving or on his various voyages
    - He's a competent office manager
    - He rarely looks back upon the past and never thinks about the future
    - He sees the good in people
    - He is a person of morality - but he puts too much faith in other people's ethical standards
    - He tends to show his love to his children by doing things for them, rather than through expression
    - He can be judgemental of others
    - He often strikes me as a laid-back person
    - Does things without really expecting much in return
    - He rarely asks others for help
    - He's very good with his hands
    - He strikes me as being a practical person, having known him for a long time
    - Enjoys alcohol
    I have an ISTJ male and two ISTP males in my life and you did not give enough information to tell the difference.
    Besides, since you think he's an ISTP, aren't you going to heavily weigh the evidence in that direction?
    Why does he think he's an ISTJ?

MBTI
    INTJ

Since you're an INTJ, maybe it would be better to look at the fault's of each type and see which one fits him better.
    I'm not going to tell you which is which.
    When he is "beside himself" or at his worst, which is he more like?
    Select one grouping.

• having a gloomy view of a future
    • suggesting impractical ideas
    • acting impulsively, and changing things without any thought
    • having intense negative feelings towards others (though these might not be expressed)

• displaying intense feelings towards others, or insisting on things being done without any logical basis
    • being very sensitive to criticism
    • having a gloomy view of the future
    • attributing unrealistic negative meaning to others actions or statements

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

More information about his introversion/extraversion - I realise that I haven't really addressed that:

- He dislikes picking up the phone - when I ring him, he rarely answers
    - His 'best friends' really appear to be his family
    - He doesn't actually HAVE that many friends
    - He seems to spend a lot of his free time working on various physical projects around the house (i.e - mowing, tiling, etc.), rather than going out
    - He does tend to initiate conversation
    - He tries to leave certain social events as soon as he can

Now for the other comments:

ISTP's I know are not excactly people loving persons and do not necesarily see good in people. It's the other way around, they tend to be reserved and sarcastic and think the worst of people. (That might not be the general ISTP trait.)
    Well, this guy does take solace in irony and sarcasm, particularly when he's in a bad mood. He's more reserved than outgoing - something I should've addressed earlier, I know. He does think the worst of people when he realises that people have screwed him over, sending him into an insult-ridden, sarcastic, explosive frenzy, but not before.

Talk more about this. What, in your mind, makes you consider him a "competent" office manager? What are his strengths and weaknesses in that position?
    Uh...well, I don't exactly know him like the back of my hand, but I'll try to clarify:
    - He gives me the impression that he's the only one who is able to really do his job properly
    - Other people in his office pass tasks on to him because they are unable to do them
    - He is the only person who will attempt to catch up on work that he's missed
    - He does, according to himself, talk calmly and rationally to customers with bankruptcy, bad credit ratings or with a lack of intellect, but it wouldn't surprise me if he went into 'attack mode' if he was still seething over something that happened to him earlier.
    - He has told me that he sometimes leave his office early to go home and he doesn't always arrive on time, although due to the apparently generous nature of his boss, nobody cares

They are reserved, strong willed and adventurous people.
    Well, the first two seem to apply to this guy - I explained how his confidence in his own judgements often renders him unable to apply the opinions of others (without really being prodded anyway). I'm not as certain about the 'adventurous' part, although he enjoys travelling to new places and trying new foods than say, his wife.

edit: i have a feeling you want to type him as a T because he doesn't have strong Fe. but xxFP wouldn't have strong Fe necessarily.
    Yes, true - but xxFP wouldn't have Fe as one of the four main functions - just as one of the shadow functions. When operational, this guy's Fe is quite apparent - and it is often utilised in a negative sense. The inferior function is the most simplistic 'non-shadow' function - and this guy's Fe is 'all or nothing', so to speak. That's part of the reason why I'm reluctant to type him as an ISFP.

I have an ISTJ male and two ISTP males in my life and you did not give enough information to tell the difference.
    Really? It's funny how others were able to tell the difference.

Besides, since you think he's an ISTP, aren't you going to heavily weigh the evidence in that direction?
    Um...it depends on other people's vulnerability to 'peer pressure', I guess. I do think that he's an ISTP, but I never once said that my suspicions were actually correct. If I thought that they were, why would I bother asking people for their thoughts?

Why does he think he's an ISTJ?
    He cites his ability and need to organise himself. I do think that's a bit tenuous, but anyway. I think it's more a question of when he organises himself - he doesn't tend to do this until the last minute. He also cites his need for a decisive outcome to an event, although he delays his decisions, anyway. He dislikes leaving things incomplete, although his inability to create a long term plan inevitably means that he does. There are other reasons, but he hasn't told me all of them.

Since you're an INTJ, maybe it would be better to look at the fault's of each type and see which one fits him better.
    I'm not going to tell you which is which.
    When he is "beside himself" or at his worst, which is he more like?
    Select one grouping.

-having a gloomy view of a future
    -suggesting impractical ideas
    -acting impulsively, and changing things without any thought
    -having intense negative feelings towards others (though these might not be expressed)

-displaying intense feelings towards others, or insisting on things being done -without any logical basis
    -being very sensitive to criticism
    -having a gloomy view of the future
    -attributing unrealistic negative meaning to others actions or statements
    Hmm...you took these from teamtechnology.co.uk . The second group applies to him more.
    MBTI: INFJ (I: 100% N:58% F: 58% J: 84%)
    Socionics: INFJ
    Enneagram: 4w5 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My guess is ISFP. But it's hard to say because he also has traits that would point to INFP and ESFP. Except for the part about putting too much faith in other people's ethical standards, which sounds more xSFJ... He's really mixed up, personality wise, but aren't we all?

MBTI
    INTJ

More information about his introversion/extraversion - I realise that I haven't really addressed that:

- He dislikes picking up the phone - when I ring him, he rarely answers
    - His 'best friends' really appear to be his family
    - He doesn't actually HAVE that many friends
    - He seems to spend a lot of his free time working on various physical projects around the house (i.e - mowing, tiling, etc.), rather than going out
    - He does tend to initiate conversation
    - He tries to leave certain social events as soon as he can
    Other than initiating conversations, you've described me, an INTJ. I don't know about other ISTJs but when it comes to the phone this is one of the areas where my husband and I are exact opposites. I don't answer. A ringing phone is an annoyance, to be ignored and dealt with later. He answers. A ringing phone must be answered, that's just how it is.

He cites his ability and need to organise himself. I do think that's a bit tenuous, but anyway. I think it's more a question of when he organises himself - he doesn't tend to do this until the last minute. He also cites his need for a decisive outcome to an event, although he delays his decisions, anyway. He dislikes leaving things incomplete, although his inability to create a long term plan inevitably means that he does. There are other reasons, but he hasn't told me all of them.
    All this sounds very J to me.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Other than initiating conversations, you've described me, an INTJ. I don't know about other ISTJs but when it comes to the phone this is one of the areas where my husband and I are exact opposites. I don't answer. A ringing phone is an annoyance, to be ignored and dealt with later. He answers. A ringing phone must be answered, that's just how it is.
    I don't answer the phone, either. It's not usually for me, anyway.

All this sounds very J to me.
    Some of it does. But his inability to really reach decisive outcomes and complete things makes me think otherwise. Also, due to his inability to organise himself over the long-term, he cannot really have Te as dominant or auxiliary function. Also, he would have to have an inferior Ne function to be an ISTJ. He doesn't display the paranoia which would be associated with an inferior Ne function. Instead, the aggression and thin-skinned nature of his personality when upset demonstrates a clear inferior Fe.
    MBTI: INFJ (I: 100% N:58% F: 58% J: 84%)
    Socionics: INFJ
    Enneagram: 4w5 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    INTJ

But as the Eight Function test shows, not all the functions develop in the classic MBTI manner. Se is 'supposed' to be my 'worst' function, Fe is, however - and the jump between the two is huge.

Instead, the aggression and thin-skinned nature of his personality when upset demonstrates a clear inferior Fe.
    Not to sure about this, DaRick.

Lenore Thomson on Fe

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ustful-fe.html

Bottom line, it's hard to type someone third hand. It's hard enough first hand online. Oy.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

My ISTP husband has the most annoying habit of doing a major job and then leaving the finishing touches undone - for years! I am still waiting for the molding (or whatever it's called) to go on around the laminate wood floor he put in about 4 -5 years ago. This is a typical behavior.

He is great at cleaning up the whole kitchen in 15 minutes, but he doesn't do the detailing. He leaves food particles in the drains etc., so I have to go in behind him and finish.

MBTI
    INTJ

My X is tempted to say that's a Y-thing. But that's only because at 5:00 AM this morning I had to gather a dish, a cup and a soda can that were left out overnight during the 2 hours he was up while I slept.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

...Hmm...you took these from teamtechnology.co.uk . The second group applies to him more.
    The second group represents the shadow of the ISTP. (I know you know that. I'm just responding here for everyone else's sake.)

I find it hard to believe that your friend is a successful manager. My ISTP husband is horrible at leading other people. He'd rather do it all himself to make sure it's done right. One of his faults is that he's not good at delegating authority. Though he can be lots of fun in a relaxed atmosphere, he can be condescending and arrogant when working with other people who are not "as good as" he is.