User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTP & INFP

MBTI
    yupp

Default INTP & INFP

So I was wondering how similar are these two types? Because my dad (who I think is an INTP) and I are very similar, like we have the same views and tend to look at things in a very similar manner. I mean it could be his job, which is a biomedical engineer, and the fact that he's into computers he built several and did HAM radio growing up use to fix everything. Also at 63 he still knows the latest technology. He started out as a Journalism major, but felt he didn't have the talent to be successful and switched to mechanical engineering. I hate science classes, I can read a science article or two, but take a whole class...boring. I'm not good at math and he is. But I'm also thinking of switching out of film, as so many people are in the major and I don't think I have much of a chance. He's very introspective as am I, and we both get accused of not caring because we don't wear our feelings on our sleeves. He does have alot of friends, but my mom said that that's from knowing these people for years. That in a new situation he has a harder time, though all of his friends are from Bars. I mean he could be an E. We both pick up computer software fairly fast, him faster then me, but he's also taken the time to study it. As I've just kinda spent 5 minutes here and their.

So think it's possible that he's an INTP? or is their a slight chance that he's an INFP? Or think I typed myself wrong?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

They either get along very well (if the INFP's values mesh with the INTP's thinking process) or would clash greatly (if they don't).

One of my best friends is an INFP, and we share many values, so we really understand each other. But INFPs who haven't developed much thinking-style functions can quickly frustrate me.

There is a decent chance that he is INTP, focused on some of the more tangible sciences. He could be ISTP as well: ISTPs will probably feel "harder" compared to INTPs, that might help you figure it out.

I have never had a problem with your INFP status.

He's also your father, so you share some values, you've spent years together i a 'forced commitment,' and so this has given you the opportunity to grow together, even if you are different.

In practice, INTPs seem to get more passionate about how people logic through to their answers. If they have a pet project, they might actually talk some about their conclusions. INFPs tend to express their values more, although they still are concerned that people are not being ethical on the surface but actually are ethical because inside they are changing.

Another quick test: INTPs usually get more mad at people's stupidity (usually in trying to put things together that will "obviously not work"), while INFPs lean more towards anger at people who are unkind or immoral.

But all of these things must be considered together, there is no silver bullet test.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Yeah, that makes sense. Also everyone in my family thinks my grandma (his mom) are very similar in our mannerisms, despite her living 6 hours away me only seeing her twice a year, and now has advanced alzheimers. I know for a fact that she didn't shape my personality as she wasn't really their. Also my dad didn't really raise me or my brother, he never got involved in the punishing, or making sure we had clothes or school. Though he did take us out to eat a lot. Though I really didn't get to know him until after I grew up,

Well I'm going home next week so I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to him, he does seem to use a lot of logic in his arguments. I've never seen him call anyone stupid. Also he's 42 years older then me so he could have developed his Fe before I was ever born.

I'm still learning this stuff, I just found out about it like a year ago, though I am beginning to understand the functions.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTJ

INFPs seem...softer to me. Lacking the cynical edge that us INTPs seem to have.

They're more fuzzy and huggable. And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.

Sorry about the slapping last night, kitty.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    INFPs seem...softer to me. Lacking the cynical edge that us INTPs seem to have. They're more fuzzy and huggable. And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.
    I am more careful around F's. (Someone asked why I still go to INTPc... well, that's why; it's just nice to be able to say things without generally worrying about being misread as mean or hurtful.)

You slapped kitty?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

INFPs seem...softer to me. Lacking the cynical edge that us INTPs seem to have.

They're more fuzzy and huggable. And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.

I'm cynical, though maybe not as some. Especially not as much as my INTJ friend who thinks everything is a conspiracy and thinks most people suck.I love talking to her about conspiracies, she's so much fun. Even though she hates most everyone on the planet except like three people. Though I'm one (yay!) I think most people suck but I'm also willing to give them a chance or several to prove me wrong. And she can sometimes take things a bit too seriously.

Most of the time it depends on them giving me a chance as well, so really I think People suck as a group, but I can learn to like any person indvidually, some are harder to do though.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

INTPs and INFPs tend to have much in common on the basis of Introverted judgment fomented by Intuition.

We could say that they run on the same engine though by virtue of different fuel. (T/F distinction)
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    We could say that they run on the same engine though by virtue of different fuel. (T/F distinction)
    Can one run on both, like a hybrid?

Whats the best way to find out who is dominant(if one has to be, the teory seems to say so)?

If one is F dominant, and run the engine on T, is that healthy?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

My INTP best friend always tells me to "stop your bitching" and i usually respond with a pouty lip and an EFF YOU. Us INFPs may be fuzzy and huggable, but we can handle the harsh INTP.

but from what i've heard, INFPs and INTPs are supposed to be fairly similar.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Can one run on both, like a hybrid?

Whats the best way to find out who is dominant(if one has to be, the teory seems to say so)?

If one is F dominant, and run the engine on T, is that healthy?
    I dont think you can be a hybrid. The two functions are antithetical to each other. If one takes top, the other falls back as a necessary entailment.

Read my INFP profile in the NF Idyllic. I went through a very thorough analysis of these two types.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/