• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP & INFP

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So I was wondering how similar are these two types? Because my dad (who I think is an INTP) and I are very similar, like we have the same views and tend to look at things in a very similar manner. I mean it could be his job, which is a biomedical engineer, and the fact that he's into computers he built several and did HAM radio growing up use to fix everything. Also at 63 he still knows the latest technology. He started out as a Journalism major, but felt he didn't have the talent to be successful and switched to mechanical engineering. I hate science classes, I can read a science article or two, but take a whole class...boring. I'm not good at math and he is. But I'm also thinking of switching out of film, as so many people are in the major and I don't think I have much of a chance. He's very introspective as am I, and we both get accused of not caring because we don't wear our feelings on our sleeves. He does have alot of friends, but my mom said that that's from knowing these people for years. That in a new situation he has a harder time, though all of his friends are from Bars. I mean he could be an E. We both pick up computer software fairly fast, him faster then me, but he's also taken the time to study it. As I've just kinda spent 5 minutes here and their.

So think it's possible that he's an INTP? or is their a slight chance that he's an INFP? Or think I typed myself wrong?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They either get along very well (if the INFP's values mesh with the INTP's thinking process) or would clash greatly (if they don't).

One of my best friends is an INFP, and we share many values, so we really understand each other. But INFPs who haven't developed much thinking-style functions can quickly frustrate me.

There is a decent chance that he is INTP, focused on some of the more tangible sciences. He could be ISTP as well: ISTPs will probably feel "harder" compared to INTPs, that might help you figure it out.

I have never had a problem with your INFP status. :)

He's also your father, so you share some values, you've spent years together i a 'forced commitment,' and so this has given you the opportunity to grow together, even if you are different.

In practice, INTPs seem to get more passionate about how people logic through to their answers. If they have a pet project, they might actually talk some about their conclusions. INFPs tend to express their values more, although they still are concerned that people are not being ethical on the surface but actually are ethical because inside they are changing.

Another quick test: INTPs usually get more mad at people's stupidity (usually in trying to put things together that will "obviously not work"), while INFPs lean more towards anger at people who are unkind or immoral.

But all of these things must be considered together, there is no silver bullet test.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, that makes sense. Also everyone in my family thinks my grandma (his mom) are very similar in our mannerisms, despite her living 6 hours away me only seeing her twice a year, and now has advanced alzheimers. I know for a fact that she didn't shape my personality as she wasn't really their. Also my dad didn't really raise me or my brother, he never got involved in the punishing, or making sure we had clothes or school. Though he did take us out to eat a lot. Though I really didn't get to know him until after I grew up,

Well I'm going home next week so I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to him, he does seem to use a lot of logic in his arguments. I've never seen him call anyone stupid. Also he's 42 years older then me so he could have developed his Fe before I was ever born.

I'm still learning this stuff, I just found out about it like a year ago, though I am beginning to understand the functions.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
INFPs seem...softer to me. Lacking the cynical edge that us INTPs seem to have.

They're more fuzzy and huggable. :hug: And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.

Sorry about the slapping last night, kitty. :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFPs seem...softer to me. Lacking the cynical edge that us INTPs seem to have. They're more fuzzy and huggable. :hug: And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.

I am more careful around F's. (Someone asked why I still go to INTPc... well, that's why; it's just nice to be able to say things without generally worrying about being misread as mean or hurtful.)

You slapped kitty? :devil:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

They're more fuzzy and huggable. :hug: And I usually kick myself if I'm as harsh to them as I would be with an INTP. I don't mind telling an INTP to "stop your bitching", but I'd be more hesitant about such with an F.

I'm cynical, though maybe not as some. Especially not as much as my INTJ friend who thinks everything is a conspiracy and thinks most people suck.I love talking to her about conspiracies, she's so much fun. Even though she hates most everyone on the planet except like three people. Though I'm one (yay!) I think most people suck but I'm also willing to give them a chance or several to prove me wrong. And she can sometimes take things a bit too seriously.

Most of the time it depends on them giving me a chance as well, so really I think People suck as a group, but I can learn to like any person indvidually, some are harder to do though.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INTPs and INFPs tend to have much in common on the basis of Introverted judgment fomented by Intuition.

We could say that they run on the same engine though by virtue of different fuel. (T/F distinction)

sleepy

We could say that they run on the same engine though by virtue of different fuel. (T/F distinction)
Can one run on both, like a hybrid?

Whats the best way to find out who is dominant(if one has to be, the teory seems to say so)?

If one is F dominant, and run the engine on T, is that healthy?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

My INTP best friend always tells me to "stop your bitching" and i usually respond with a pouty lip and an EFF YOU. Us INFPs may be fuzzy and huggable, but we can handle the harsh INTP. :D

but from what i've heard, INFPs and INTPs are supposed to be fairly similar.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can one run on both, like a hybrid?

Whats the best way to find out who is dominant(if one has to be, the teory seems to say so)?

If one is F dominant, and run the engine on T, is that healthy?

I dont think you can be a hybrid. The two functions are antithetical to each other. If one takes top, the other falls back as a necessary entailment.

Read my INFP profile in the NF Idyllic. I went through a very thorough analysis of these two types.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Quit appologizing, it's bad enough when I do it :). I would expect to be slapped for those kinds of comments (thought they're scripted in the game) so really I thought it was funny. I find that even as an INFP, INTPs who understand the type and want to deal with it right tend to pussyfoot around me too much. Yes, 90% of my judgements are based on my values; yes, I love hugs and cry at happy endings; but I'm not made of glass here people! LOL :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
All of my best friends seem to be INTPs. I guess I'd be friends with INFPs, too, if I knew any that were capable of being my friend.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
One of my best friends is an INTP. I would agree with many of the assumptions in this thread. We share the same values, but I'd say we approach them from slightly different angles.

I think it is a good combination, I try to teach him to be calmer, and not get into worthless arguments; he can help me to realize when I need to be less passive in my beliefs, so we kind of balance each other out.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So I was wondering how similar are these two types? Because my dad (who I think is an INTP) and I are very similar, like we have the same views and tend to look at things in a very similar manner. I mean it could be his job, which is a biomedical engineer, and the fact that he's into computers he built several and did HAM radio growing up use to fix everything. Also at 63 he still knows the latest technology. He started out as a Journalism major, but felt he didn't have the talent to be successful and switched to mechanical engineering. I hate science classes, I can read a science article or two, but take a whole class...boring. I'm not good at math and he is. But I'm also thinking of switching out of film, as so many people are in the major and I don't think I have much of a chance. He's very introspective as am I, and we both get accused of not caring because we don't wear our feelings on our sleeves. He does have alot of friends, but my mom said that that's from knowing these people for years. That in a new situation he has a harder time, though all of his friends are from Bars. I mean he could be an E. We both pick up computer software fairly fast, him faster then me, but he's also taken the time to study it. As I've just kinda spent 5 minutes here and their.

So think it's possible that he's an INTP? or is their a slight chance that he's an INFP? Or think I typed myself wrong?

The only distinct similarity is to derive the final decision from within.

Yet the two types are radically different because the dominant function of one is the antithesis to the dominant function of the other.

Moreover, whilst Introverted Feeling strives to be internally driven, it is unable to be so unlike Introverted Thinking, due to a lack of clear perspective and the need for affirmation from others. The latter leads them to be almost wholly defined by how others feel about them.

In summary, on a very superficial level the INFP may appear to be individualistic because they are internally. Yet their internal drive is supplied externally, namely by the world of people. Thus, in essence this is not at all like the mindset of the INTP who tends to strive to make decisions based solely on his own, impersonal judgment.

Contrary to what I said earlier, the similarity which has ensued as a result of the commonality of introverted judgment is superficial. That is merely the aforementioned internal drive. The essence of the INTP is individualistic, impersonal judgment, and of the INFP, harmonization of the self to the will of other people.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
and of the INFP, harmonization of the self to the will of other people.

True to an extent.

An INFP will submit to the will of others as long as it does not clash with their deepest inner values (Which, I often think, are subject less to the whims of other peoples ideals).

I think an INFP will be more willing to compromise than an INTP, since as you stated, they value harmony more than INTP's, but the compromising can only go so far before something has to give.

heart

heart on fire
and of the INFP, harmonization of the self to the will of other people.

But it's going to be a hell of an internal war between wanting harmony with other people and wanting to be true to self and not wanting any constraints. Continual angst over this issue. The only relief found in introverting and getting away from the pressures that other people provide.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Also, on the above quote.

It is not just harmonization of the self I seek to achieve, but harmonization of everything, with everything, in a broad sense. I want everybody to be harmonized. And in a sense, this may just be because, if everything, and everyone was harmonized with everything else, it would be a nicer world for ME to live in, in effect still being an aim of the self. But even with examining the meaning behind such actions, It still means I will not always harmonize myself to the will of other people; if I perceive somebody to be disruptive of harmony in the grander scheme of things, I will not give in to their will, more than likely I will oppose it.

I want harmony, but I want it large scale.

heart

heart on fire
Sometimes harmony is unwarranted and undesirible though and whatever discontent this brings me, I understand it's my internal problem and I have to cope with it. Better to feel discontented with things and cope with it rather than try and harmonize with something that is clearly wrong. This world is not ready for harmonizing as it is now and there's a lot more growing pains to go. The study of history helped me to see a lot of this.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
This world is not ready for harmonizing as it is now and there's a lot more growing pains to go. The study of history helped me to see a lot of this.

I think this often. At the same time the opposing thought in my head is "Well somebody has to try push things forward." To do nothing and cut myself off from the worlds problems, or to fight against what seems like a tide of ignorance. The worlds never going to be perfect, but I think we should all be striving to improve it. Then again, who is to say what is improving the world, and what is turning it to shit, it's hardly objective.