User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    However, using criteria that's derived externally (based on context) to define and validate your values is a totally different story.
    How does that work?

Could you give me an example of how that might play out?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i had to learn how to be LESS open. that's the direction i had to go in in order to grow. so, i can tell you by this experience that i found the middle ground by being selective about who i opened up to, and until i knew enough to be sure, i would open up about everything except what i wouldn't want spread around. in other words, if i didn't want someone else (other than the person i was talking to) to know it, then i'd keep it to myself. otherwise, i let it fly. anything. opinions, thoughts, feelings, tastes, hobbies, everything. but, i keep that 'line' in mind.

i was burned far too many times and learned the hard way.
    Yeah.
    Ditto.

Sigh.

I tend to be far too open... because I like having info on the table and discussing it with others, to reach the best conclusion.

But then I've had people take that information and (whether they've understood it properly or not) use it against me.

I've had to actually learn to be more guarded until I'm sure I can trust someone.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    ah, i see. yes, and i get what you're saying. i agree that they're too complex, AND i also think that the tests leave far too much room for mistyping. this is why i know little about functions. because i don't believe the system is foolproof enough to begin with to study it further. meaning that by knowing more, i think i'd actually know less by getting bogged down with too many opinionated details and perspectives.

it does, however, have just the right amount of merit to 'use' it. and, that's why i like it so much. i never had your problem though. i got entp the very first time before having ever heard of it before, and i've never typed as anything else.

i have gone a bit insane though trying to type another person.
    Yeah, I wish this was my story. People seem to think I'm trying to "experiment with being another type" or play a joke when I change my type, but I'm truly at such a loss. I can best describe my experience with MBTI as drawing with an Etch-A-Sketch: I will conjure the most detailed, brilliant drawing only to have it be wiped clean with the jolt of doubt, once I remember I'm just playing with a theory.

interesting.

i had to learn how to be LESS open. that's the direction i had to go in in order to grow. so, i can tell you by this experience that i found the middle ground by being selective about who i opened up to, and until i knew enough to be sure, i would open up about everything except what i wouldn't want spread around. in other words, if i didn't want someone else (other than the person i was talking to) to know it, then i'd keep it to myself. otherwise, i let it fly. anything. opinions, thoughts, feelings, tastes, hobbies, everything. but, i keep that 'line' in mind.

i was burned far too many times and learned the hard way.

sometimes, i still screw up though. *sigh*

i certainly wish you all the best.
    This was my story, until I went through years of social isolation in college. I had social anxiety all my life, and SA + geographic relocation = shutting everyone out. If you're me . Now, I'm much more comfortable in my own skin, but I'm still in the habit of being very closed off.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm kind of confused as to how anyone could be confused between Fi+Ne and Te+Ni.

Are you familiar with what each of those terms means?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP

Sim, the problem does not lie in a misunderstanding of the functions, it's in committing to seeing yourself in one way, when you know you are multidimensional.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Sim, the problem does not lie in a misunderstanding of the functions, it's in committing to seeing yourself in one way, when you know you are multidimensional.
    Typically this is the sort of thing that leaves me thinking "P" for you.
    Hence, an internal judging function: IxxP

(Unless you're extroverted. But I don't see that as the case at all.)

J's typically do not have such trouble and wrestle so consistently with it.
    As another IxxP, I do the same sort of thing... Lots of complexity involved, how does one prioritize pieces of it?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Typically this is the sort of thing that leaves me thinking "P" for you.
    I agree with disregard. I guess that makes me a P.
    The future is for the unafraid.

How does one become more open?

I would like to.

Stating your opinions?
    Talking about your personal life?
    The answer is in the question - stop defining the situation in advance, and just be open to experience as it happens. The rest will take care of itself, you just have to trust it.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

How does one become more open?
    By not picking INFP for your type.

(I don't think INFPs are "open")

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Is there some reason being INFP or ENTJ or any particular type prevents you from being multi-dimensional?

By the way, I think Jen's guess that you might be a P is fairly reasonable. I've hardly read any of your posts so I don't really know, but I do commonly hear, "How could one of sixteen personality molds describe a unique person's essence?" from Fi dom/auxes quite a bit. It seems to stem from Fi's dislike of being categorized/boxed in--it's threatening to one's sense of individuality. Really, though, the way typology is set up, every type leaves room for a huge variety of kinds of people; the only thing binding them by type is certain types of cognitive tendencies in their perspectives...these same tendencies can lead to dramatically different ideas, opinions, identities, lifestyles...all within the same type.

EDIT: Also, I noticed that part of your thread was asking about how to become more open in terms of things like stating your opinion. ENTJs almost never have trouble stating their opinions; in fact, people often think they do so too often and too forcefully. They will call a spade a spade and take charge of the situation. Your desire for help in this area is suggestive of introversion.

So yeah I'm going with a preliminary INFP guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I agree with disregard. I guess that makes me a P.
    Good thing this guy showed up to set the record straight, huh?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?