User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default ENFJ, ENTJ, or ENFP?

Hi all,

I'm quite confused about my personality expressed on MBTI.

I have consistently tested as an ENFJ throughout high school, then ENTJ during first two years of college. I grew up under a very strict academic environment, so I was very competitive with my achievements up until the first two years of college.

Then my boyfriend of two years broke up with me, I started becoming much more introspective, lately I have been a lot more relaxed about my attitude toward school and my future, I am able to enjoy my life more. Then I took the MBTI test for fun, and for the first time it came out as ENFP.

The problem is, each and every time I have taken the test, all parameters fall very close to the center besides N. The latest result as an ENFP came like this:

E (58%) / I (42%)
    S (32%) / N (68%)
    T (42%) / F (58%)
    J (47%) / P (53%)

My intuition tells me that I'm closer to ENFJ/ENFP than ENTJ. But I do turn on my logical thinking when necessary (when working), and while that happens, I do not think in terms of F at all...

Some of the things I have noticed about myself:
    • I can be quite social, have friends from multiple mutually exclusive groups, and I adjust myself to interact with every single one of these groups.
    • When I do school work, I completely turn my F off. I become very precise in speech, directive, and analytical/logical. Many friends who worked with me on project have pointed out that I become very impersonal and direct. But somehow I have a hard time applying those clear-cut logic on how I deal with people relationships.
    • I like social gatherings, but it usually takes me a lot energy to get my mindset ready for going out. Once I'm out I go all out and have a blast, but I feel very drained and needs to RECHARGE in solitude for a long time.
    • I'm very interested in people. especially their potentials. When I see my friends not living up to their full capabilities, it makes my heart ache and I will try to show them that in a very subtle way (like asking them how much work do you have and make them feel guilty possibly if they haven't done their work yet, though I won't say the latter part)
    • I notice relationships and changes very easily. I think at the very bottom of my consciousness I assume continuity in life.
    • I notice little things that other people may dismiss. I'm always the first to notice somebody's haircut, a cute squirrel on the street, etc. People have called me scatter-brained recently because of that. Don't know what to feel about it, but I'm strangely proud of it.
    • When I get attached to people, I GET ATTACHED. I will often see off the relationship deteriorate until the very end, until it's absolutely unsalvagable. I go into extremely aggitated/grieving state afterwards, and often wonder if the other person thought I was psycho for pouring my feelings out so freely.

I know you can't easily type people's personalities into 16 categories, but I want to understand my cognitive styles, and there are so much difference between an ENFJ, ENFP, and an ENTJ. If I can choose freely which cognitive functions I find myself using often, they would be N(i/e), F(i/e), Te, and Si but I've thought of myself as a milder less people crazy form of ENFJ for a long while, it would be a rude awakening.. like an identity crisis if I turned out to be an ENFP.

What could be some explanations to my MBTI types? I would appreciate any comments!

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

it's not very accurate, but you should take the cognitive function test. you can find a link on here. Also, consider making a video for the type thread........ and we'll give you our feedback.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

You sound like a judging enfp. but i can relate to all of those things you mentioned, even turning off the F in necessary times.

I feel like you'd KNOW if you were an entj.

but do you LIKE being a leader? that would point more to enfj than enfp.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

You sound very much like me in my early to mid 20s. I've learned to become a bit more temperate in my relationships with age. When I was younger, it was a disaster.

The only thing you said that I cannot relate to is your ability to notice things like haircuts or things on the street. I. Am. Oblivious. Or, when it comes to things like haircuts, I'll think, "Something is different. Damn. What is it?....Ohhhh yeah..."

Otherwise, I could have written your post.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I can very much relate to alot of what the OP said. When I was younger, I thought I was an ENFP, because I was more carefree. Now I'm VERY career and goal oriented, and can be very Ti and analytical in some situations. I too grew up in a very success oriented environment. If I were to describe what motivates me as a person, 1# is achievements, and 2# connecting with people.

However know I'm an ENFJ because I'm alot more organized and focused than ENFPs, my values are like a religion to me, and the things that annoy me the most about people are lack of responsibility and dependability. I've wondered if I was an ENTJ, but I'm too hyper aware of everyone's emotions in a group around me, and relate easily to people.

As far as noticing the details in the surroundings, an INTJ friend of mine has actually commented on that about me recently... we'll walk down the street and I notice all kinds of little things in the buildings and atmosphere. The details affect me more at work though, I notice little things like random missing spaces/periods.

The only thing I don't relate to in your post is a) being very drained by social gatherings, and b) getting super attached in relationships.

Re ENFJ = leader, I have to add that while I naturally gravitate to being the leader, I am uncomfortable there because I'm afraid of bulldozing over people with my opinion, or being controlling. This seems to be a maturity thing.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I do not gravitate toward leading at all, the very prospect makes me anxious because of indecision and fear of aggrivating others.

the super attachment thing to people is like.. the story of my life...

what is the MAIN difference between enfps and enfjs? is it just the issue of enfjs being more focused? and more attuned to leadership?

MBTI
    ISFJ

ENFJ for sure.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

BlackCat pointed me to the cognitive processes, which helped me better understand myself. You ENFPs are so free and spontaneous, I envy that about you. Domino (ENFJ) also has all kinds of great examples between her and her ENFP sister being significantly more open.

Cognitive Processes

ENFJs are dominant Fe, Ni, Se, Ti. Whereas ENFPs are Ne, Fi, Te, Si. ENFP fits perfectly with the OP's self described function order.

I'd imagine as an ENFJ I have significantly less patience with incompetent people, and I have this ridiculous sense of responsibility and agenda to accomplish... My ESFP friend is always teasing me about it.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by lasdf23 View Post
    Hi all,

I have consistently tested as an ENFJ throughout high school, then ENTJ during first two years of college. I grew up under a very strict academic environment, so I was very competitive with my achievements up until the first two years of college.

Then my boyfriend of two years broke up with me, I started becoming much more introspective, lately I have been a lot more relaxed about my attitude toward school and my future, I am able to enjoy my life more. Then I took the MBTI test for fun, and for the first time it came out as ENFP.

The problem is, each and every time I have taken the test, all parameters fall very close to the center besides N. The latest result as an ENFP came like this:

E (58%) / I (42%)
    S (32%) / N (68%)
    T (42%) / F (58%)
    J (47%) / P (53%)

My intuition tells me that I'm closer to ENFJ/ENFP than ENTJ. But I do turn on my logical thinking when necessary (when working), and while that happens, I do not think in terms of F at all...

• I can be quite social, have friends from multiple mutually exclusive groups, and I adjust myself to interact with every single one of these groups.
    • When I do school work, I completely turn my F off. I become very precise in speech, directive, and analytical/logical. Many friends who worked with me on project have pointed out that I become very impersonal and direct. But somehow I have a hard time applying those clear-cut logic on how I deal with people relationships.
    • I like social gatherings, but it usually takes me a lot energy to get my mindset ready for going out. Once I'm out I go all out and have a blast, but I feel very drained and needs to RECHARGE in solitude for a long time.
    • I'm very interested in people. especially their potentials. When I see my friends not living up to their full capabilities, it makes my heart ache and I will try to show them that in a very subtle way (like asking them how much work do you have and make them feel guilty possibly if they haven't done their work yet, though I won't say the latter part)
    • I notice relationships and changes very easily. I think at the very bottom of my consciousness I assume continuity in life.
    • I notice little things that other people may dismiss. I'm always the first to notice somebody's haircut, a cute squirrel on the street, etc. People have called me scatter-brained recently because of that. Don't know what to feel about it, but I'm strangely proud of it.
    • When I get attached to people, I GET ATTACHED. I will often see off the relationship deteriorate until the very end, until it's absolutely unsalvagable. I go into extremely aggitated/grieving state afterwards, and often wonder if the other person thought I was psycho for pouring my feelings out so freely.

I know you can't easily type people's personalities into 16 categories, but I want to understand my cognitive styles, and there are so much difference between an ENFJ, ENFP, and an ENTJ. If I can choose freely which cognitive functions I find myself using often, they would be N(i/e), F(i/e), Te, and Si but I've thought of myself as a milder less people crazy form of ENFJ for a long while, it would be a rude awakening.. like an identity crisis if I turned out to be an ENFP.

What could be some explanations to my MBTI types? I would appreciate any comments!
    You are clearly not a T. Are you certain you're an extrovert?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nynesneg View Post
    I can very much relate to alot of what the OP said. When I was younger, I thought I was an ENFP, because I was more carefree. Now I'm VERY career and goal oriented, and can be very Ti and analytical in some situations. I too grew up in a very success oriented environment. If I were to describe what motivates me as a person, 1# is achievements, and 2# connecting with people.

However know I'm an ENFJ because I'm alot more organized and focused than ENFPs, my values are like a religion to me, and the things that annoy me the most about people are lack of responsibility and dependability. I've wondered if I was an ENTJ, but I'm too hyper aware of everyone's emotions in a group around me, and relate easily to people.

As far as noticing the details in the surroundings, an INTJ friend of mine has actually commented on that about me recently... we'll walk down the street and I notice all kinds of little things in the buildings and atmosphere. The details affect me more at work though, I notice little things like random missing spaces/periods.

The only thing I don't relate to in your post is a) being very drained by social gatherings, and b) getting super attached in relationships.

Re ENFJ = leader, I have to add that while I naturally gravitate to being the leader, I am uncomfortable there because I'm afraid of bulldozing over people with my opinion, or being controlling. This seems to be a maturity thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lasdf23 View Post
    Hi all,

E (58%) / I (42%)
    S (32%) / N (68%)
    T (42%) / F (58%)
    J (47%) / P (53%)

Ill be the second enfj to jump in and say enfj. you dont sound enfp at all. if i really went into detail on why, the enfps would just turn this into a pissing match about who's more/less:
    --logical
    --responsible
    --open
    --attached
    --needing alone time

so rather than that pissing match, ill just say that you sound more NFJ