User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTJ or INTJ?

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default ISTJ or INTJ?

For the longest time I used to believe that I was an ISTJ. I'm very hard working, place great emphasis on trust, and typically will endure a fair bit of self-sacrifice for typically bad reasons.

Recently however, I've been doubting my ISTJ status. I read over the type descriptions again recently and INTJ seemed to fit better this time, but I'm concerned that I may be biased.

Typically, I understand, the way to evaluate one's type is to look at one's dominant and secondary function. (In this case Te happens to be the same.) I believe I use Si a fair bit. Naturally it makes sense to compare things to as they have been. I also see a fair bit of Ni in myself as well though, as a I strive to frequently understand abstract ideas, and playfully muse in my mind about crazy thoughts.

So I'm not sure. And I know this has been discussed many times before, and I've done some research, but I can't claim certainty and I want to make sure I am not biased.

My guess is that my true type would most quickly be determined by questioning, so go ahead and fire away.

EDIT: And if it means anything, my best friends are mostly Ns. My one friend is a strong INTP, another a strong ENFP, and another an ENTJ. Ss I don't seem to connect with as well.. I do, but typically I feel somewhat arrogant in their company, although I take care to try and treat near everyone equally (except those who plainly don't deserve it).

MBTI
    INTJ

S: sees specific parts and pieces
    N: sees patterns and relationships

S: lives in the present, enjoying what is there
    N: lives toward the future, anticipating what might be.

S: prefers handling practical matters
    N: prefers imagining possibilities

S: likes things that are definite, measurable
    N: likes opportunities for being inventive

S: starts at the beginning, takes one step at a time
    N: jumps in anywhere, leaps over steps

S: works hands-on with parts to understand overall design
    N: studies overall design to understand how parts fit together

S: enjoys using and refining the known and familiar
    N: enjoys experimenting with the new and different

S: may seem materialistic and literal-minded to others
    N: may seem idealistic, impractical dreamers to others

S: details, present, practical, facts, sequential, directions, repetition, enjoyment, perspiration, conserve, literal
    N: patterns, future, imaginative, innovations, random, hunches, variety. anticipation, inspiration, change, figurative.

"These characteristics often develop from S and N preferences. Some of them may be true for you."

Free consults--worth every penny.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISTJ

Thank you Kalach. As I examine what you have posted, I very much want to say that both descriptions fit. I'm the kind of guy who will think up some crazy idea (or find one) and then research how I might actually bring that idea to life. For example, I once was interested in seeing how much it would cost to construct a giant geodesic dome over Manhattan, as Buckminster Fuller once suggested. And on another occasion, I thought it would be very cool to understand mathematically how battles in should fought (for war games and perhaps even the real thing). Both ideas are very much impractical in their impossibility (due to the amount of factors involved) but practical in that by researching, much practical knowledge would be learned (and also, success would be extremely practical).

Or to give another example: I'm an amateur game designer (and maker). But while I love learning about the theoretical aspects of design and it's implications, I'm also very interested in the facts that psychologists have determined through empirical testing.

I am just very confused. This is supposed to be a dichotomy.

MBTI
    INTJ

Characteristics of ISTJs
    ISTJs have a profound respect for facts. They use their Sensing primarily internally, where they have a storehouse of information upon which they draw to understand the present. Thus, they are likely to be:
    - practical, sensible, and realistic
    - systematic

ISTJs use Thinking in decision-making, taking an objective, logical, and tough-minded approach. Their focus is on the task or system as a whole, rather than on individuals. Thus ISTJs tend to be
    - logical and analytical
    - detached and reasonable.

Characteristics of INTJs
    INTJs see things from a global perspective and quickly relate new information to overall patterns. They trust their insightful connections regardless of established authority or popular opinions. Dull routine smothers their creativity. INTJs use Intuition primarily internally, where they develop complex structures and pictures of the future. They are likely to be
    - insightful, creative synthesizers
    - conceptual, long-range thinkers.

INTJs use their Thinking to make logical decisions. They assess everything with a critical eye, quickly identifying problems to solve, and are tough and decisive when the situation calls for toughness. INTJs tend to be
    - clear and concise
    - rational, detached, and objectively critical.

I saw an exercise recently with N preference people on one side of the room and S preference people on the other. In their separate groups they were asked to prepare directions to a familiar landmark.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I saw an exercise recently with N preference people on one side of the room and S preference people on the other. In their separate groups they were asked to prepare directions to a familiar landmark.
    And...?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    No, it's not.

But your thinking it should be makes me think you're an ISTJ.
    Last edited by Kasper; 03-17-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Merging 2 posts

MBTI
    ISTJ

Is it just by chance that those percentages in your signature add up to 100%?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    And...?
    Take a wild guess.

The N directions all started "It's...*hand wave*... that way". One or two landmarks were referenced. And they mostly finished with a vague promise of, "after that, you can't go wrong."

The S directions started with the street you are on, began laying out detailed routes and alternatives, including number and kind of street lights, named roads, and even included descriptions of road characteristics--gravelly, grassy, slight rise--etc and so on.

Most particularly, the N side started vague and gradually uncovered some details in discussion, while the S side drew on immediate expertise and worked from details up.

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISFJ

Just based on the way you write I'm going to guess ISTJ. The intuition you're talking about regarding little zany ideas floating around in your head seems more like Ne, not Ni. It's tough to say though: Si doesn't necessarily mean you use past experiences to understand things, but it often can play out that way. Another thing to keep in mind is that just because it "makes sense" to think about things one way or another doesn't necessarily mean you are actually using that particular function. When you say it "makes sense to compare things to as they have been," you're probably using some kind of 'thinking' function to determine what's logical or practical. This may not mean you use it, just that it makes sense that people should use it. I feel like my wording is confusing, but I can't think of how to better describe what I'm talking about haha.

I think you're on the right track though with just looking at dominant/secondary functions. Unless you're very sure of your type, I wouldn't even get into tertiary or inferior or you'll probably just confuse yourself, especially since these two functions can often contradict your natural instincts.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

No, it's not.

But your thinking it should be makes me think you're an ISTJ.
    People on here really need to stop thinking so strongly that one must necessarily be one of the 16 types...

It kinda blows me away that on a site devoted to studying this stuff, you still see such simplistic thinking about the theory.

If you're not sure whether you're an ISTJ or INTJ, then maybe you're an IxTJ.

That essentially would mean that Ni and Si in some way share your dominant function, while Te remains auxiliary (or tertiary, if you'd so want to call it that), Fi tertiary, and Se and/or Ne inferior.

We all likely use all eight functions at some time in our lives, the types just point to the functional preferences that theoretical "individuals" may have.

:steam:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Take a wild guess.

The N directions all started "It's...*hand wave*... that way". One or two landmarks were referenced. And they mostly finished with a vague promise of, "after that, you can't go wrong."

The S directions started with the street you are on, began laying out detailed routes and alternatives, including number and kind of street lights, named roads, and even included descriptions of road characteristics--gravelly, grassy, slight rise--etc and so on.

Most particularly, the N side started vague and gradually uncovered some details in discussion, while the S side drew on immediate expertise and worked from details up.
    Hmmm...

Interesting.

Is it just by chance that those percentages in your signature add up to 100%?
    Last edited by Kasper; 03-17-2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Merging 3 posts

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

If you're not sure whether you're an ISTJ or INTJ, then maybe you're an IxTJ.

That essentially would mean that Ni and Si in some way share your dominant function, while Te remains auxiliary (or tertiary, if you'd so want to call it that), Fi tertiary, and Se and/or Ne inferior.
    Wouldn't this necessitate that he derive precisely equal influence from Ni and Si? It seems unlikely that anyone would be able to do that.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?