User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

the way i know is because i'm outward focused...i think better when i talk...i think as i write...like right now...no clue what i'm about to say until i say it.

i am completely lazy and lethargic alone...and totally full of energy with people...groups of people...less so with just one...total energy high after being with people and need to wind down for hours after....stuff like that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think asking your friends/family might be the best way to tell. I have an ENTP friend who insists he is an INTP, but watching him around other people at social events makes it so obvious that he isnt, but he really just doesnt see it for whatever reason.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    and...i associated extraversion with a certain type of person that i don't relate to at all...but i get that isn't how all extraverts are now...the people who know me well have said i can't be anything other than enfp and knowing more about it now, i agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
    But those of us who don't fit that mold because of depression, or lack of social skills, or anxiety, or
    a high level of selectivity, or just simply not being extreme definitely have a harder time.
    I have an ENFJ friend who cannot see himself as extroverted for similar reasons you both mention. He seems to associate introversion with positive traits: being intelligent, "deep", thoughtful, loyal, and modest; and he sees extroverts as being shallow, loud, obnoxious, social butterflies, arrogant, etc. He also suffers from depression and some mild social anxiety. To me, his Fe is very clear, but he doesn't see himself that way & almost takes being called an extrovert as an insult....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I have an ENFJ friend who cannot see himself as extroverted for similar reasons you both mention. He seems to associate introversion with positive traits: being intelligent, "deep", thoughtful, loyal, and modest; and he sees extroverts as being shallow, loud, obnoxious, social butterflies, arrogant, etc. He also suffers from depression and some mild social anxiety. To me, his Fe is very clear, but he doesn't see himself that way & almost takes being called an extrovert as an insult....
    I was a lot like your friend for the longest time and am still to a certain extent. I am still hesitant to call myself an ENFJ. I usually say, "I think I am an uhhh...E...NFJ". haha

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks everyone.

I think ENFP could be the right choice. It's not just speaking up in class, it's approaching people to talk to them in breaks, telling funny stories, as well. Probably because the whole class is NF, or at least F dominated, it's easier to not feel judged and therefore shy.

A while ago, I got tested by some bloke for Enneagram and MBTI; he was certain I was an extrovert, and it was the only thing he questioned about my results.

And yes, my childhood was traumatic, and was rejected by my peers in school for being different. I think that's what caused me to retreat for such a long time.

ETA: does anyone else talk to themselves to process the thoughts of the day? I have to vocalise or else I feel like some pressure cooker.
    Last edited by sonickel77; 03-12-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: addition
    Question everything.

brainheart

Yeah, absolutely I considered myself an introvert until about a week ago. I think it can help to observe the group, the context in which you're in, as you said. For example, if I'm in a group of introverts, I'm definitely the one who takes charge, gets things going, talks the most. I become the talk show host, it's weird. (I must add, however, these must be people I believe to be of interest. If they are not interesting to me, either in personality or idea, forget it. I'll take out a book and entertain myself.) But when I'm around super outgoing extroverts, I tend to shut up. Partially because they are talking about things I'm not so interested in, partially because it means less work for me, partially because I can find them extremely overwhelming.

I can spend long periods by myself, but I'm not so much by myself- I'm constantly surrounded by ideas, external stimuli, be it books, music, film, internet, the physical world.

Also, when no one else is around, I become a serious slacker, and my internal world seems to be pretty absent. I'm just sucking in external stuff. It's when I'm around others (or listening to music, watching film, external things) that my feelings seem to come into play. And I am a total misanthrope, was pegged the weirdo as a kid/ a big chunk of my adult life. Thing is, there aren't a lot of NeTi women around, so it can make you feel pretty... out there.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Yeah, absolutely I considered myself an introvert until about a week ago. I think it can help to observe the group, the context in which you're in, as you said. For example, if I'm in a group of introverts, I'm definitely the one who takes charge, gets things going, talks the most. I become the talk show host, it's weird. (I must add, however, these must be people I believe to be of interest. If they are not interesting to me, either in personality or idea, forget it. I'll take out a book and entertain myself.) But when I'm around super outgoing extroverts, I tend to shut up. Partially because they are talking about things I'm not so interested in, partially because it means less work for me, partially because I can find them extremely overwhelming.

I can spend long periods by myself, but I'm not so much by myself- I'm constantly surrounded by ideas, external stimuli, be it books, music, film, internet, the physical world.

Also, when no one else is around, I become a serious slacker, and my internal world seems to be pretty absent. I'm just sucking in external stuff. It's when I'm around others (or listening to music, watching film, external things) that my feelings seem to come into play. And I am a total misanthrope, was pegged the weirdo as a kid/ a big chunk of my adult life. Thing is, there aren't a lot of NeTi women around, so it can make you feel pretty... out there.
    yeah i think ive read that's common for extraverted n's...people can out extravert us...we can take the back seat...or simply as you said the topic doesn't pique our interest so we don't contribute as much as we would otherwise...i can only feign interest in chit chat or small talk for so long...i usually guide the course of conversation to something else i'm interested in...something more abstract...or personal or go off and do my own thing...space out to the music or something.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If you're the most comfortable one speaking in groups (the initiator, or volunteers answers a lot, volunteers to speak during a class presentation) I'm thinking that you might be an extrovert because I'm like that too. It sounds like the ExxP get things going style.

I tested INFP A LOT at first, but always ENFp in socionics, and sometimes ENFP in MBTI. People who know me IRL say there's no way in hell that I'm an introvert.

I think the reason why I was able to buy into the idea of myself being an introvert is because I'm not an extreme extrovert, and I found out later that apparently ENFPs want more alone time than some extroverts.
    Don't know how common this is, but have personally observed this.

Very social, thrives on interaction, but needs some time alone.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think that's right...or necessary to develop fi...we need to be alone to process...otherwise as my enfp friend said we're just recklessly living off ne...ne gets distracted...it's important to center the fi...or you make a lot of bad choices that you can't undo.
    -Jim Morrison

ReflecTcelfeR

Hiya, guys, hope you don't mind me jumping in, but upon a great deal of reflection, as well as taking personality tests over and over again, both internet and book, I found that when I'm around people I become an Enfp/j and when I'm alone I become an Intp, not so much "j" here because I think mostly about the future when I'm alone, or more specifically how the future will play out. I don't like limiting myself to one because during different situations we have different levels of beliefs and convictions.

Besides most of these tests rely on percentages so though you may be close usually no one is exactly E or I, I may have repeated an early statement, but I thought I might give a go at answering this. Being bogged down is never a good feeling.