User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Am I ENTP or ENFP?

I've just begun to explore the idea of typing (I'm a Neuroscience major but I've started to become interested in Psychology as well), and I'm trying to decide how to type myself.

I've never been officially tested, but I've mostly scored as ENTP in the basic online tests. However, they score me right on the edge (45/55% or closer), and I notice I have some traits of both personalities:

ENTP-like:
    -I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly. I always argue logically, even in the context of relationships, and I pride myself on never raising my voice.
    -I'm not sure if this is ENTP, but someone in another thread described this - I'm not confrontational in an uncomfortable situation - I'd rather brush it off, leave and not say anything if I'm offended
    -I'm always trying to fix people's problems. When someone cries I'm not always good at comforting them - my first instinct is, what's wrong and how can we fix it, and I'm not so good at the "everything's ok"
    -I value competence/skill above all else. I always try to make friends with people who are passionate about something (even if its something weird), and I'm attracted most strongly to people who dedicate themselves to becoming skillful at something, be it sports, arts, etc.
    -I'm hypercompetitive. I don't have to win to be happy, but I have to be at my best. I get far more satisfaction out of narrowly losing to someone thats better than me at a sport than I do at beating someone who's worse. I can't stand when people play around and don't take something seriously.

ENFP-like:
    -I have a hard time letting go in relationships. This is the one that made me wonder about my type, because supposedly ENTPs are supposed to be good at this? And I'm reaaaally not. I always think everything's my fault, and am always trying to fix a relationship when it's way past fixing.
    -I care a lot about the way other people think of me. In every social situation I'm constantly thinking about the way I want to present myself and trying to adapt to that ideal image, and I'm usually very good at it.
    -I'm always my happiest when I make other people happy. I love playing host at a party. At my most introverted, I love watching my friends enjoy themselves even if I'm not having a good time.
    -I need validation from other people about my talent/charity/etc. If I do something for someone and don't get praise or thanks my first instinct is to worry that I've offended or misread them.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas or insights! Thanks!

Nick

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tzatziki View Post
    I've just begun to explore the idea of typing (I'm a Neuroscience major but I've started to become interested in Psychology as well), and I'm trying to decide how to type myself.

I've never been officially tested, but I've mostly scored as ENTP in the basic online tests. However, they score me right on the edge (45/55% or closer), and I notice I have some traits of both personalities:

ENTP-like:
    -I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly. I always argue logically, even in the context of relationships, and I pride myself on never raising my voice.
    -I'm not sure if this is ENTP, but someone in another thread described this - I'm not confrontational in an uncomfortable situation - I'd rather brush it off, leave and not say anything if I'm offended
    -I'm always trying to fix people's problems. When someone cries I'm not always good at comforting them - my first instinct is, what's wrong and how can we fix it, and I'm not so good at the "everything's ok"
    -I value competence/skill above all else. I always try to make friends with people who are passionate about something (even if its something weird), and I'm attracted most strongly to people who dedicate themselves to becoming skillful at something, be it sports, arts, etc.
    -I'm hypercompetitive. I don't have to win to be happy, but I have to be at my best. I get far more satisfaction out of narrowly losing to someone thats better than me at a sport than I do at beating someone who's worse. I can't stand when people play around and don't take something seriously.

ENFP-like:
    -I have a hard time letting go in relationships. This is the one that made me wonder about my type, because supposedly ENTPs are supposed to be good at this? And I'm reaaaally not. I always think everything's my fault, and am always trying to fix a relationship when it's way past fixing.
    -I care a lot about the way other people think of me. In every social situation I'm constantly thinking about the way I want to present myself and trying to adapt to that ideal image, and I'm usually very good at it.
    -I'm always my happiest when I make other people happy. I love playing host at a party. At my most introverted, I love watching my friends enjoy themselves even if I'm not having a good time.
    -I need validation from other people about my talent/charity/etc. If I do something for someone and don't get praise or thanks my first instinct is to worry that I've offended or misread them.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas or insights! Thanks!

Nick
    ENTP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Almost certainly ENTP.

ENTPs care a lot about how they're perceived, much more than they let on. They need just as much validation as ENFPs, just a slightly different kind.

They may also have trouble letting go of relationships with people they really genuinely care about--the whole "jumping around from relationship to relationship" stereotype is just a function of the ENTP's difficulty with finding someone he really cares about and the ensuing boredom with everyone else. Once an ENTP is in a committed relationship with someone who really holds his interest, it can be very hard to let go.

Making others happy is not really unique to either ENP type. Remember ENTPs have Fe as well, which (if used in a healthy way) leads them to facilitate the enjoyment of and meet the needs of loved ones.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i say entp also
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    CAGE

Hello.

I relate to not being sure weither I am ENFP or ENTP

And I relate to all the points the OP refered to.

And I understand the justification for that he is an ENTP.

However, I don't understand why he is not an ENFP, could somebody clarify why ENFP is ruled out?

Thanks

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well...i was just going by the fact that i can read the entp profile and relate to a lot of it...parts of it that seem SO me that the enfp profile doesn't get into much...and then realizing that a lot of that is just ne or how i experience it...but for me my fi is a lot higher than my ti...so i'm totally an enfp and...i think the opposite is true for them....although you can certainly be an an enfp with high ti...or entp with high fi.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    CAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    well...i was just going by the fact that i can read the entp profile and relate to a lot of it...parts of it that seem SO me that the enfp profile doesn't get into much...and then realizing that a lot of that is just ne or how i experience it...but for me my fi is a lot higher than my ti...so i'm totally an enfp and...i think the opposite is true for them....although you can certainly be an an enfp with high ti...or entp with high fi.
    How do you really tell them apart?

Ti/Fi is the dilemma of my life here on typeC

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Ti is about making objective distinctions based on what is known and what makes sense. A person that strongly utilizes Ti is someone that is readily willing to spend time on sifting through varied data in order to come to a refined or new conclusion, or a better explanation. They prefer to express their objective, analytical, intellectual side to others and tend to keep their subjective, emotional side more under wraps. They most trust what is logical or sensible.

Fi is about making subjective assessments based on what is personally valued and what feels right. A person that strongly utilizes Fi is someone that is readily willing to spend time on mulling over different ethical questions in order to come to a refined or new code of morale, or a better way of expressing their beliefs. They prefer to express their personal viewpoints and sensitive side to others and tend to keep their cool, objective, rational side more under wraps. They most trust what is "right" or "good".

MBTI
    CAGE

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    Ti is about making objective distinctions based on what is known and what makes sense. A person that strongly utilizes Ti is someone that is readily willing to spend time on sifting through varied data in order to come to a refined or new conclusion, or a better explanation. They prefer to express their objective, analytical, intellectual side to others and tend to keep their subjective, emotional side more under wraps. They most trust what is logical or sensible.
    So Ti utilizers kind of value what they can trust through objective analyzis? Couldn't this really be Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    Fi is about making subjective assessments based on what is personally valued and what feels right. A person that strongly utilizes Fi is someone that is readily willing to spend time on mulling over different ethical questions in order to come to a refined or new code of morale, or a better way of expressing their beliefs. They prefer to express their personal viewpoints and sensitive side to others and tend to keep their cool, objective, rational side more under wraps. They most trust what is "right" or "good".
    So Fi utilizers trust what is right or good? So, if an Fi-user gets their moral and ethics through objective analyzis, is it still Fi? Couldn't it just be Ti?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh shit...confused...who the hell knows what function they're using all the time anyway!!

all i know...is i can tell the difference between the way i judge things through fi and the way others judge things with ti...and then i have a friend who does both...and talk about mind f@*k!! but yeah...seems to be a bit like that...what you described...so perhaps you are an enfp with high...maddening ti
    -Jim Morrison