User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default I've Mistyped Myself

I was having a conversation about type dynamics and more traditional Jungian theory, and I realized that I am not actually much of an INTP. In addition to being told on MBTIc several times that I seem INTJish, I ran into an incident this evening that opened my eyes.

I had a fight with an INFJ, because she felt something I said was a passive-agressive attack towards her. I had intended my comments to be taken literally, and had a lot of trouble understanding why she was upset. Her behavior confused me. My boyfriend (who I think understands me quite well) said this about it:

<Boyfriend> It's because your ideals of how you think reality should be are getting in the way of your observations of how it is.

It was then that I poured over some functional dynamics with a friend and realized how vastly Ni I am. I am so abstract and internal that I expect the world to comply. When it doesn't, I get confused or frustrated because my Te can't handle it.

I was mislead by the MBTI system because I am disorganized and not goal-oriented. This would make me seem like a Perceiver, but when you look at the type dynamics of it, I'm quite clearly an INTJ.

Henceforth, I shall identify myself as an INTJ. Really, the P/J distinction is a misleading one. IN(T) versus IT(N) is much better.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

Does that mean you haven't developed your Te enough?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The P/J distinction can be pretty confusing for introverts. It's pretty clear for extraverts though. For introverts "J's" are really dominant perceivers and "P's" are really dominant judgers.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The P/J distinction can be pretty confusing for introverts.
    It's tough for extraverts too. I kind of like the socionics three letter system. Less confusion that way. I'm ILE there. Intuitive first, Logic second and I'm an Extravert, so the first function is extraverted. I do not favor socionics overall - their descriptions are far too generalized and don't give enough credit to the second functions... also what's up with the "characteristic facial features?"

It's pretty clear for extraverts though. For introverts "J's" are really dominant perceivers and "P's" are really dominant judgers.
    True enough, but I still think that E_TPs are viewed as more J than E_FPs. J and P is nothing more than determining the attitudes (and subsequent order) of the two main functions.

There seems to be a lot of confusion - Js don't necessarily keep their desks in better order. Ps also might show up on time to things...
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

I first tested as INTP. Ask anyone here if they think I'm an INTP.

As far as J vs. P dominance, from what I have read, they are most often associated with hemisphere dominance. Left is J and right is P.

Hemispheric Dominance Test
    Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem I've encountered with the MBTI is that I'm barely left dominant, and so the questions they use can swing the results to either INFP or INFJ.

In fact, there are times when I will force myself to step back, and I will feel part of my brain turning on and I will be able to percieve the information differently. Where at one point I will be completely convinced of my standing, I will step back and demand of myself to open up my perceptions, and then I will be able to see weaknesses in my theory. It actually annoys me to no end some days.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

As far as J vs. P dominance, from what I have read, they are most often associated with hemisphere dominance. Left is J and right is P.

Hemispheric Dominance Test
    Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem I've encountered with the MBTI is that I'm barely left dominant, and so the questions they use can swing the results to either INFP or INFJ.

In fact, there are times when I will force myself to step back, and I will feel part of my brain turning on and I will be able to percieve the information differently. Where at one point I will be completely convinced of my standing, I will step back and demand of myself to open up my perceptions, and then I will be able to see weaknesses in my theory. It actually annoys me to no end some days.

Well, Ni is actually a left-brained function.

I just realized that I am an INTJ 5w4. I try to use both sides of my brain equally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
    <Boyfriend> It's because your ideals of how you think reality should be are getting in the way of your observations of how it is.
    INTPs can be idealistic, too. This is an introvert problem in general, an INXX problem in particular.

I think you're taking a rather large leap to go from this to believing yourself to be an INTJ. Descriptions of Ni and Ti have a lot of overlap.

Not to say you can't possibly be an INTJ, of course. It just seems like your premise is tenuous.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

Hehe...for me:

You responded as a right brained person to 10 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 9 questions. You seemed to be comfortable using strategies for both sides for the brain. Your preference may be situational and apparent mainly when stress in a factor.

....That's about right.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Enneagram
    1w2

Posts about YourLocalJesus's type moved here
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Roger, chief.
    Post removed from here and I will start posting there.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come