User Tag List

123 Last

brainheart

Default Joining the ISFP doubt bandwagon!

Cause it sounds like fun, and what kind of SP would I be if I weren't up on the latest trends.

I took a test. I got: Your Type is ISTP
    Introverted 67 Sensing 12 Thinking 1 Perceiving 67

This doesn't surprise me much, because I've always felt more like an IXXP than anything.

I grabbed stuff from an ISTP profile that I relate to:

ISTPs lie dormant, saving their energy until a project or an adventure worthy of their time comes along--and then they launch themselves at it. The apparently frenzied state that inevitably ensues is actually much more controlled than it appears --but the whole chain of events presents a confusing and paradoxical picture to an outsider.

ISTPs are equally difficult to understand in their need for personal space, which in turn has an impact on their relationships with others. (They are generally quite comfortable, however, with being treated the same way they treat others--at least in this respect.) But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode). These territorial considerations are usually critical in relationships with ISTPs; communication also tends to be a key issue, since they generally express themselves non-verbally. When they do actually verbalize, ISTPs are masters of the one-liner, often showing flashes of humor in the most tense situations; this can result in their being seen as thick-skinned or tasteless. (Heavy emphasis on this.)

Like most SPs, ISTPs may have trouble with rote and abstract classroom learning, which tend not to be good measures of their actual intelligence. They tend, sometimes with good reason, to be highly skeptical of its practical value....

they are at their best in a crisis, where their natural disregard for rules and authority structures allows them to focus on and tackle the emergency at hand in the most effective way.
    ISFP:

Many eagerly plunge into new avant garde experiences, 'hip' trends--some even setting the trends.

More in touch with the reality of their senses than their INFP counterparts, ISFPs live in the here and now. Their impulses yearn to be free, and are often loosed when others least expect it. The ISFP who continually represses these impulses feels 'dead inside' and may eventually cut and run.

ISFPs may be quite charming and ingratiating on first acquaintance. On other occasions, the same individual may be aloof and detached. Some ISFP males are fiercely competitive, especially in sport or table games, and may have great difficulty losing.

ISFPs interest can be held better through experiential learning, at which many excel. ISFPs will practice playing an instrument or honing a favored skill for hours on end, not so much as practice as for the joy of the experience. (This is also huge.)
    ISFPs seem more mellow and quiet and nicer than me, but there is the whole creative, artistic/musician business, which is how I am. ISTPs like cars (I am indifferent to them, although I do love to look under the hood and figure out how they work- the mechanics is cool) and they don't seem to rescue insects as much as I do, but I've been told I have that sort of sense of humor and I can be pretty stinking detached. I'd rather be a carpenter or re-tile a bathroom than be a nurse or in any other service-oriented field. My favorite job was helping my dad put on a new roof. And I've heard that ISTPs are often musicians as well, that music is a way in which they can release their feelings, which is totally how it is for me.

Do I even give a crap about any of this?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If the only thing you relate to in the ISFP profile is the music bit, I think you're pretty much an ISTP. There's nothing un-ISTP-like about loving music or insects

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

No, stop it. Don't make me spank you!
    You're staying an ISFP whether you like it or not!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i can really relate to a lot of what you are saying, you picked out quotes that i really agree with, both the ISFP and ISTP. sometimes - pretty often - i think that i am an ISFP.

i think that when you look at it point by point it gets MORE confusing.
    a big part of the way i look at it is instinctual, how you engage the MBTI on a really personal level. i feel this huge raw pull to being an isFp, but it feels like ultimately i always fall back and look to to this very analytical deconstructive part of myself that has to break everything down into a system i can be familiar with.

but to me ISFP and ISTP are VERY blurred together,
    i would be VERY INTERESTED to get into a really in depth conversation breaking down the REAL differences between the 2.

brainheart

I would as well, Kingfisher (sorry, Steph!)

The best way I can explain it... well, I think about how I'm pretty much split in enneagram between four and five. Thinking and feeling are so even in me. And neither one ever feels like enough- I have to do both. For example, say I'm going on a walk and I see this really cool bug. First off, I will be amazed by how cool it is- it will feel quite poetic- and then I go through this whole- what kind of bug is it, it has these sort of wings which must be useful in this sort of way, and it has this color pattern which must allow it to adapt to such and such, and I basically take it apart (not literally, I don't want to hurt it!) and study it, much how I hear other people talk about motorcycles or whatever.

Also, Fi values. Say someone bursts out with some unbendable value they have, I always find myself interrogating. I may start with, "I'm not being disrespectful in any way, but... then I get into the other side of the argument. I always see the two sides of the coin. My kid will get angry about a lion eating a gazelle, say, and I instantly reply, "well, the lion has to eat, too, and if the lion didn't eat that gazelle there would be too many of them and they would eat all of the vegetation and then there wouldn't be enough vegetation and the gazelles would starve." I can get very lecture-y, but it's not necessarily because I want to lecture, I just find knowledge and thinking about things to be really exciting. But it's usually things like that, real things, not abstract theories. Still, my husband can say I am a buzz kill at times. But it's just me, being excited.

I'm self-taught in basically everything I do. I have always been this way. I taught myself to swim and dive into the swimming pool when I was two; taught myself how to rock climb, taught myself yoga, guitar, piano, how to sew, surf, tile a bathroom, you name it. If I want to understand something, I will figure it out. People will start to try and teach and I'll yank whatever it is out of their hand and just say, "yeah, yeah, just let me at it." I think this may be how Ti works with Se, but I'm not positive.

Just some thoughts.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i i feel this huge raw pull to being an isFp, but it feels like ultimately i always fall back and look to to this very analytical deconstructive part of myself that has to break everything down into a system i can be familiar with.
    Wow. Yes. Exactly. That is 100% it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It would be interesting to start a thread asking which types you feel more closely pulled to and each person's Enneagram type. I'm betting that there will be an overlap of Enneagrams even though MBTI types will differ.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It helps if INTP's really develope their verbal communication skills so that they are better understood. I know an ISTP and he always answers a question indirectly and it starts out as a seemingly irrelivant story which eventually comes round to a point of an answer. However, the story and answer still are non specific to the question I asked, lol. I always have to clarify. My Ni gets an awesome workout when I spend time with him. But, he's great most of the time. He's got a good heart.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Hi Brainheart,
    Thank you for posting these descriptions. I too bolded everything that applies to me.

ISTP
    ISTPs lie dormant, saving their energy until a project or an adventure worthy of their time comes along--and then they launch themselves at it. The apparently frenzied state that inevitably ensues is actually much more controlled than it appears --but the whole chain of events presents a confusing and paradoxical picture to an outsider.

ISTPs are equally difficult to understand in their need for personal space, which in turn has an impact on their relationships with others. (They are generally quite comfortable, however, with being treated the same way they treat others--at least in this respect.) But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode). These territorial considerations are usually critical in relationships with ISTPs; communication also tends to be a key issue, since they generally express themselves non-verbally. When they do actually verbalize, ISTPs are masters of the one-liner, often showing flashes of humor in the most tense situations; this can result in their being seen as thick-skinned or tasteless.
    Like most SPs, ISTPs may have trouble with rote and abstract classroom learning, which tend not to be good measures of their actual intelligence. They tend, sometimes with good reason, to be highly skeptical of its practical value....

they are at their best in a crisis, where their natural disregard for rules and authority structures allows them to focus on and tackle the emergency at hand in the most effective way.

ISFP
    Many eagerly plunge into new avant garde experiences, 'hip' trends--some even setting the trends.

More in touch with the reality of their senses than their INFP counterparts, ISFPs live in the here and now. Their impulses yearn to be free, and are often loosed when others least expect it. The ISFP who continually represses these impulses feels 'dead inside' and may eventually cut and run.

ISFPs may be quite charming and ingratiating on first acquaintance. On other occasions, the same individual may be aloof and detached. Some ISFP males are fiercely competitive, especially in sport or table games, and may have great difficulty losing.

ISFPs interest can be held better through experiential learning, at which many excel. ISFPs will practice playing an instrument or honing a favored skill for hours on end, not so much as practice as for the joy of the experience.

Who knew that this type thing would be this confusing?
    I could be either.
    On the other hand, I could be an ISFJ or an ESFP.
    Once again, I'm getting the urge to have a bowl of alphabet soup.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post

I grabbed stuff from an ISTP/ ISFP profile that I relate to:
    To confuse the matter more I relate more to ISTP here in those quotes. It is my orientation towards people that convinces me of ISFP. I really need to impact people to feel. There is always somebody in mind when I do something. It motivates me to feel I can have an impact on somebody not something. Actually it isn't people it is a person. Always a person. Or persons, individuals. It isn't about sharing it is about impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i can really relate to a lot of what you are saying, you picked out quotes that i really agree with, both the ISFP and ISTP. sometimes - pretty often - i think that i am an ISFP.

i think that when you look at it point by point it gets MORE confusing.
    a big part of the way i look at it is instinctual, how you engage the MBTI on a really personal level. i feel this huge raw pull to being an isFp, but it feels like ultimately i always fall back and look to to this very analytical deconstructive part of myself that has to break everything down into a system i can be familiar with.

but to me ISFP and ISTP are VERY blurred together,
    i would be VERY INTERESTED to get into a really in depth conversation breaking down the REAL differences between the 2.
    Great post and good idea. I really love this idea for a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It would be interesting to start a thread asking which types you feel more closely pulled to and each person's Enneagram type. I'm betting that there will be an overlap of Enneagrams even though MBTI types will differ.
    That seems a really interesting idea for a thread. Please do it.