User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Typing children

  1. #11
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Ah. Too bad. At least "not knowing" won't drive an ENFP as crazy as it drives an INTJ!
    I had to just patiently wait, and learn more about type.

    Did you take a look at that online test somebody posted?
    It looked like it might be helpful.
    I have done some online tests before and they helped me a little bit. On the other hand, I'm not in a hurry with these things because my children are still quite small. So ExxP, IxxJ and xxxx are enough for me now. So I am ok with not knowing, I guess.

    One funny thing - I'm already in trouble wit my IxxJ child's judging! My P resists all that finishing things and taking things to their places!

  2. #12
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I have done some online tests before and they helped me a little bit. On the other hand, I'm not in a hurry with these things because my children are still quite small. So ExxP, IxxJ and xxxx are enough for me now. So I am ok with not knowing, I guess.

    One funny thing - I'm already in trouble wit my IxxJ child's judging! My P resists all that finishing things and taking things to their places!
    Oh No!
    Well, thank goodness for our kids. They really help us become better.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I read somewhere that there's a theory that your dominant function develops in early life, then your auxillary in the teenage years, and then so on & so forth. I'm not highly knowledgable in it, but I do see it reflects my development. For example, I was a very Ni kind of kid. Highly imaginative, wrote a LOT using basic symbols (my mom saved some of the stories. I swear I was more imaginative then than I am now), etc. In my teenage years, I was definitely using Fe very strongly - I had a very hard time not feeling the feelings of everyone else.

    I notice my 6 year old nephew seems to be using Ne often. He writes me patterns on paper & has me fill in the next step in the pattern (I was pretty shocked when he did this! It seems advanced for his age). He seems to see things not really for what they are, but likes to mess around with them & change them. He's not very tactile and highly imaginative. He likes to dress in costumes & what he's wearing is supposed to be who he is that day. Last time I hung out with him, he had on Spiderman pajamas and I had to call him Spiderman all day because that's who he believed he was that day. I'm betting he's going to turn out to be ENTP or ENFP, though I'm leaning towards ENFP because he's a really sensitive kid.

  4. #14
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    I read somewhere that there's a theory that your dominant function develops in early life, then your auxillary in the teenage years, and then so on & so forth. I'm not highly knowledgable in it, but I do see it reflects my development. For example, I was a very Ni kind of kid. Highly imaginative, wrote a LOT using basic symbols (my mom saved some of the stories. I swear I was more imaginative then than I am now), etc. In my teenage years, I was definitely using Fe very strongly - I had a very hard time not feeling the feelings of everyone else.

    I notice my 6 year old nephew seems to be using Ne often. He writes me patterns on paper & has me fill in the next step in the pattern (I was pretty shocked when he did this! It seems advanced for his age). He seems to see things not really for what they are, but likes to mess around with them & change them. He's not very tactile and highly imaginative. He likes to dress in costumes & what he's wearing is supposed to be who he is that day. Last time I hung out with him, he had on Spiderman pajamas and I had to call him Spiderman all day because that's who he believed he was that day. I'm betting he's going to turn out to be ENTP or ENFP, though I'm leaning towards ENFP because he's a really sensitive kid.
    You're right.
    From age 6 -12 our dominant function develops
    From age 12 - 25 our auxiliary function develops
    From age 25 - 50 our tertiary function develops
    After age 50 our inferior develops

    For an INTJ, the development is this way:
    1 - iNtuition
    2 - Thinking
    3 - Feeling
    4 - Sensing

  5. #15
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default Functions developing in children

    If children’s primary function develops when they are less than 10 years then the primary function would be visible in them when identifying types.

    Let's say that my daughter (under 10 years) is definitely ExxP. This would mean that her primary function would be perceiving, so N or S. Then her possible types would be ENFP, ENTP, ESTP and ESFJ. No surprise there.

    But what would you say about case of less than 10 year old child of IxxJ? So, I would think that his primary (introverted) function is J so he could be ISTP, ISFP, INTP or INFP

    EXCEPT
    if the J is only towards outer world when his possible types would be the rest of I-types: ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ or INTJ.

    Any thoughts?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    401

    Default

    That's interesting and I'm going to have to think about it some.

    I'm willing to bet that as a child, I'd have been difficult to type until my teenage years when I was Fe-ing all over the place.

    If I'm undersanding correctly (and I may not be!), are you trying to figure out how to recognize an introverted function?

  7. #17
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're right.
    From age 6 -12 our dominant function develops
    From age 12 - 25 our auxiliary function develops
    From age 25 - 50 our tertiary function develops
    After age 50 our inferior develops
    If the theory is right (and I'm not certain it is - I don't think it's nearly so black and white), then for myself the order would be:

    Ni
    Fe
    Ti
    Se

    My dominant trait from age 6-12 (well, even to this day!!) was that I was quiet. I don't know that there's any way an outside observer could have pinpointed I was Ni though. Many of my hobbies weren't exclusive to Ni-dominant kids. All you could have pinpointed would have been my introversion. Well, I suppose the J too. So, IxxJ.

    Fe? I'm not sure when that developed. I've posted many places that I was a loner, so it's not like I perceived myself as being a feeling type, or really had any outlets where my Fe-ness would shine through. I didn't have many friends at all, mostly due to my quietness and really low self esteem, and just feeling like I was on a different wavelength from everyone else. So there was VERY little extroverted anything as a teenager, just because I was so withdrawn. But as a kid and teenager I was always nice to people(saying 'hi' to people in hallways even though I knew we weren't friends, but I wanted to be their friend) and wanting to please others and be accepted by others, so in that sense I suppose I was exercising Fe. And it *never* occurred to me to stand my ground and be a more defiant child -- it never crossed my mind that I could just refuse to do things, scream at my parents, lock myself in my room, etc. I'd always ultimately want to please my parents, and didn't want anyone's disapproval. I rarely talked back, and wasn't inquisitive in the sense of questioning everything about life -- I might have questioned internally, but I didn't engage my parents with my questions very often. I was pretty much a child that didn't cause my parents any problems, and was a good girl and I suppose an overachiever. :-) (although they may have worried about this and my quietness, for all I know)

    Ti? I don't know, I think I had that as a teenager too, because of schoolwork and testing. And I might have latched onto Ti earlier simply because I was a loner and didn't know how to socialize. Incidentally, since I was good at intellectual stuff, I viewed myself as more of a thinker. I was always good at understanding concepts, and classwork was usually effortless for me. Then in my early to mid 20's I became rather consumed with a Ti perspective (this is when I'd always test out as INTJ).

    Se pulled me out of the Ti perspective, and it now trumps Ti. Ti tires me, and I don't value it as much anymore. It's not that I can't be incredibly analytical and stick to the logic and cold hard data, because I can, and I have in the past, I just don't place a whole lot of importance on a strictly Ti approach these days. But Se...perhaps I've had an element of it too for a long time, because of my love of being out in nature and just looking at the world around me. Se is probably also the 'rush' I feel when I'm traveling. And both of those things are incredibly important to me and I'm moving much more towards seeking experiences in my life. So I guess I hit my inferior trait 25 years early.

    Oh, and I'm sorry Alcearos, I totally derailed your thread. I didn't answer any of your questions, I was only commenting off of INTJMom's post.....But I was an IxxJ child....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post

    Ti? I don't know, I think I had that as a teenager too, because of schoolwork and testing. And I might have latched onto Ti earlier simply because I was a loner and didn't know how to socialize. Incidentally, since I was good at intellectual stuff, I viewed myself as more of a thinker. I was always good at understanding concepts, and classwork was usually effortless for me. Then in my early to mid 20's I became rather consumed with a Ti perspective (this is when I'd always test out as INTJ).

    Se pulled me out of the Ti perspective, and it now trumps Ti. Ti tires me, and I don't value it as much anymore. It's not that I can't be incredibly analytical and stick to the logic and cold hard data, because I can, and I have in the past, I just don't place a whole lot of importance on a strictly Ti approach these days. But Se...perhaps I've had an element of it too for a long time, because of my love of being out in nature and just looking at the world around me. Se is probably also the 'rush' I feel when I'm traveling. And both of those things are incredibly important to me and I'm moving much more towards seeking experiences in my life. So I guess I hit my inferior trait 25 years early.
    Do you feel you struggle between your Ti and Fe a bit? If my Ti is peeking out, I feel it hates my Fe and what it stands for. During college, I think it's safe to say I relied on Ti a bit in my studies and that was the time when I would occasionally test INTP. There were points that I hated anything "F-like" because I viewed it as weak, irrational, and unstable. Sometimes I feel like a walking contridiction.

    I also get the Se "rush" when traveling. I want to see EVERYTHING. I tend to take trips as much as I can afford them just to seek out new places and adventures. Though, my Ni sense of accomplishment tends to drive my urges a bit too.

  9. #19
    Junior Member INFPWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    10

    Default Me and my kids

    For me, I started out as a quiet moody child that was religious and shy. I was clingy to my mom. I was prone to crying and sulking in the corner. My kindergarten report card says I don’t play with others.

    My brother sometimes called me an airhead, but I think it’s been discussed that INFP's are not your typical airhead even if very strong T's might want to make them out to be that way. I have several very strong T's in my immediate family. Well, he thought it was stupid that I believed in God and thought I was weak for basically being an obedient child.

    I only had a few close friends at a time. I was made a school safety (like a kid cop on the playground) but definitely was not a natural leader. When put in front of the whole class indoors, since recess was inside due to rain, everyone wished for a more outgoing and bubbly person to oversee them. I've been called boring more than once.

    As a teen I felt so rejected on the whole that I kind of flipped inside out and developed a shadow personality, which is what people that didn't know me well would see. I became a performer and to do it I drank alcohol to get rid of inhibitions. I was very ESFP, going to parties, trying to be the center of attention, having fun was a big quest for me. I was unhealthy. Eventually that had to end and my real self started to come back, thank heavens!!!

    Even when I was acting as an ESFP to outsiders I think people that knew me well realized that it took a toll on me and that I was actually a quieter person that preferred one-on-one conversations and doing things like hiking, art, reading. My intuition took a while to develop. I was a more sensate person when I was younger.

    The environment really does affect how you appear. For instance my brother that thought I was stupid for being religious and obedient might have thought I was an S J (he probably would have thought I was an ISFJ) as a child because of it. I had different grandparents than he did who were strict conservative Christians. We were extremely poor and my grandparents would take me over their house on weekends and feed me well. For survival’s sake I had to be a well-behaved Christian!!! What he didn’t understand was that although I insisted that God could move mountains, I didn’t insist that he believe so or say he was going to hell because he didn’t; and I did question the status quo but usually to very few people and in private. I even took a liking to Buddhism for a while as a kid after attending an Eastern religions class with my mom.

    Sorry I am rambling. This type stuff is new to me and I love it, but I am not even well versed in it yet so there is a lot of feeling around for things in the dark.
    Last edited by INFPWoman; 01-05-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Too long

  10. #20
    Junior Member INFPWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    10

    Default My kids

    Now for my kids... My first-born was an obvious E from early on. He has always loved going out to the park and playing with the other kids. He could never get enough of it. He’d play with kids all day and cry because he had to go home. He is very intelligent in terms of remembering stories, characters, and facts (when he wants to), but academically not so great. He also understood plots, character development, and symbolism from a surprisingly young age (as in 3 or 4 years old!). At 2.5 he could sit through entire movies such as The Hobbit and by 3 or 4 could go into deep discussions about plot development, symbols, and characters, but if something bores him (like school work) he’s all over the place. So he has this special sort of intelligence but he also has very high highs and low lows to his mood. Even as a baby he screamed his lungs out every couple of hours. He actually seems to be evening out a bit (he’s 7), which is good because he can be really intense emotionally. I guess this kind of intelligence he has might reflect an NP. So, he might be an ENFP. He can be quite annoying at times because of his constant need for attention (I feel so guilty just for saying that!), but oh so endearing other times with his generous love of people.

    My younger child (he’s 4) has always been an introvert. He was a quiet baby. His Grandmom (who is an INTJ) jokingly would call him the blob, which I quietly took offense to after being treated as a second-class citizen as a child for not having a strong T. He adapts to his surroundings but in a very quiet way. He was shy from early on. When in social situations he would keep to himself for at least a half an hour and watch before joining in with others. He doesn’t like to be looked at either. He frequently says, “Don’t look at me.” OK, so for his shyness yet adaptability I would guess he’s an IN. I haven’t determined if he is an F or T. When he was born I thought he looked just like my uncle, who is an INTP engineer, but he can spend all day, day after day, just coloring and drawing (fantasy, flowers, monsters, but some robots too), which is more of an artist F trait. He does spend quite a bit of time taking apart and putting together toy robots. He likes to line up his toys and compose them in scenes, which he can do for hours. He might be borderline F/T. He shows great frustration if he can’t manage a technical thing such as properly putting together a robot. He seems uncannily like me, very head-in-the-clouds. I’d guess he’s an INFP.

Similar Threads

  1. Typing Children's Book/Movie Characters
    By Manic in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2015, 10:48 PM
  2. Typing Children?
    By justsayin in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM
  3. Typing children: is it really possible?
    By cfs1992 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
  4. Typing Children
    By SoAndSo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO