User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

So I'm putting together something for my husband to decide if he has Si or Ni. And this is how I've always remembered thinking. I love the idea of marketing because it totally manipulates people into thinking things without them realizing.

For example, whereas from an Extraverted Sensation perspective, you might feel very impressed upon meeting a man wearing a fancy Italian suit (signs call forth a natural response and need no interpretation); from an Ni perspective, you would consciously say to yourself that he's wearing an Italian suit and this is supposed to make you think he's wealthy or upper-class or really has his act together or something like that, and therefore is supposed to make you feel impressed (signs and what they mean are connected only arbitrarily). Whether he really does have his act together is a matter upon which you reserve judgement. Consequently you don't feel impressed. You merely note the expected interpretation as no less a part of your environment than the suit itself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I identify with this, too. I definitely want to understand something before I feel comfortable with it. It takes me longer to start stuff sometimes (like 3d modelling) because I want to UNDERSTAND how it works before I try to use it. (What are verts, how do they work with polygons, how is it different from 2d modelling, what ARE polygons and verts) When I learned to drive stick shift my friend taught me how it worked first, rather than just making me have at it (he tested intj recently). I remember absolutely LOVING how he taught me, rather than just "push this pedal and go" What is the point of doing with no understanding.

Introverted Thinking leads you to relate whatever you are doing to some larger principles that you have identified. Hence, Ti is like having some kind of book in your head, which describes the inner workings of things. When interacting with reality, you are constantly writing and re-writing your book. To deal with anything, you have to be able to understand in terms of the observations in your book. Whenever you are dealing with any new system, you start writing a new chapter on it in order to attain complete understanding of it.

This approach may seem very cumbersome from an extraverted standpoint. You don't really need to understand how a bicycle works in order to ride one. You don't have to actually understand a subject in school if you simply cram and memorize. You don't have to understand computers to check your email. Yet Ti leads you to desire complete understanding of whatever you are doing, instead of looking up the correct procedure, or asking your friends for help, or kicking it when it's not working. With Ti, you don't simply try to understand a system well enough to manipulate it. You try to become such an expert on how it works that you could write a book about it if you had to, even if your expertise is unusable or useless to everybody (sometimes even to yourself).

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, but, my opinion is that I'm not very convinced of the specified tertiary processes and beyond in the types. However, the types are at the very least defined by the dominant and auxiliary processes, so that much is definitely hard and fast. If you weren't Ne-Fi, then you definitively aren't ENFP.

There are many reasons I doubt the other processes. 1) They have particularly wishy-washy, interprative ways of supposedly manifesting themselves. They seem to involved a process that is asserted without any systematic validation. 2) 16 types is the number you get from every possible permutation of two processes differeing on E/I and J/P. The moment you make assertsion beyond that, the number of permutations goes beyond 16, and yet the MBTI at that point does not, so it fails to be comprehensive. 3) I have yet to see a single test that asks question that anyway account for processes beyond the auxiliary.

Ahem. But again, if you didn't have the first two processes count, there wouldn't be any types at all.
    We may disagree on Keirsey, but I completely agree with you here.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Constantly analyzing why people are acting/doing the things they are. What function?