User Tag List

12311 Last

Default Maybe I'm wrong about my type?

After reading more on this site, I'm starting to doubt my type. Or perhaps I'm just not the 'stereotype' of an ISTJ. A few things about me:

* when I was younger I was more outgoing - possibly an E, now that I'm 40 I've mellowed.
    * as a kid I loved telling people what to do (was bossy). My mom claims that I was a bit like Angelica from Rugrats. I still like 'grabbing the bull by the horns' and taking over and doing things MY way. I have to be a leader if it's something that I care about, if I don't care, then I am fine in the background.
    * I'm great at giving advice - people tell me that I give the BEST advice on everything -relationships, careers, raising kids, etc. Because I'm good at it, I spend lots of time being an amateur psycologist to friends and family (which can be draining). I'm a great problem-solver.
    * I challenge authority if necessary. I've written to the schools that my kids go to about a couple of ridiculous policies (illness is no longer an excused absence!) and in one case got the policy changed. I have no problem 'speaking out' (but I'm always very polite and logical/rational).
    * I'm very concerned about my personal 'productivity.' At the end of the day I want to be able to say 'this is what I've accomplished' even if it's just boring household stuff. I don't think that I'm naturally productive, it's something that I'm always trying to improve.
    * I am a perfectionist about a lot of things but unfortunately, I'm often disappointed in myself, since things often don't turn out the way I'd hoped. On magazine quiz, it said that my personality was "Frusterated Perfectionist" and that's me to a T.
    * Organized versus disorganized? hard to say. I used to be completely disorganized, but I've learned that to be productive I must stay organized. So I'm constantly working on it. In some areas of my life I'm super-organized, in other's - not at all (and that really bothers me).
    * planned or unplanned? Both. I love to plan detailed itineries for vacations and such but when I get there if something that I didn't plan on seems more fun, I'll chuck the plan. But I am known as the Disney World Commando by my family.
    * In my day-to-day work, I make elaborate plans but rarely stick to them and feel guilty about it. Right now I'm supposed to be working-out but I'm on the computer!
    * I think I'm a Chart-the Course type.
    * I'm creative, but not in a poetry or writing or abstact kind of way. I design decks, gardens, interiors. My visual/spatial skills are my biggest talent. Not at all good with mechanical things or tools.
    * easy going on the outside, not so much on the inside (if I care about something), if I don't care then I don't get worked up about it.
    * extremely even tempered on the outside, even if I'm giving someone a piece of my mind.
    * medium in terms of patience
    * former teenaged/early 20's party-animal, but I'm currently on the board at my church - hee, hee
    * not sure if this plays into MBTI theory or not, but from my research (yes, I love to research, should have been a librarian!) I've learned that children of alcoholics often have that 'need to establish control' which I obviously have (not sure if it's natural to me though, or just a learned habit).

Any thoughts?

Thank you Splittet. I took the test, here are the results.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************** (32.3)
    good use
    introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.6)
    good use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************** (22.3)
    limited use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************** (22.8)
    limited use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.2)
    excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.4)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.2)
    good use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************** (23.2)
    limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile
    By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESTJ

I'm going to spend some time reading it closely. I'm just still so new to all of this that I need to let it sink in.

MBTI
    INTJ

The main insight here, is that you are probably a thinking type rather than feeling type. You could be any ST type.

Darn, I must be half-asleep still. It says ESTJ, not F. Ok, big difference.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sounds like an ISFJ, what's the problem?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Darn, I must be half-asleep still. It says ESTJ, not F. Ok, big difference.
    Notice your total thinking score is 76,6, while your total feeling score is 54,4. Also both your thinking scores are higher than any of your feeling scores. Judging by your signature, it seems like you have tested quite close on the T/F dichotomy. This test then becomes a very clear indication you are actually a T. The test says you are clearly S. The test indicates you are close on both the I/E and J/P dichotomies though. Hence, I say you can be any ST type.

Aren't ISFJ' supposed to be - very traditional (I don't think I am), not leaders (I'm more leader than follower), not confrontational (I'll confront BS when I notice it - easily), organized (I am great at organizing other people, and I LIKE it, unfortuntely I don't always follow my own advice).

I guess I was mostly doubting it because I love to lead, come up with new ideas, am very open-minded and most of the descriptions of ISFJ's make them seem like they are extremely 'service-oriented' (love to serve others, need to be needed, etc.) and I'm kind of neutral on that.

Thanks for the input FDG!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Aren't ISFJ' supposed to be - very traditional (I don't think I am), not leaders (I'm more leader than follower), not confrontational (I'll confront BS when I notice it - easily), organized (I am great at organizing other people, and I LIKE it, unfortuntely I don't always follow my own advice).

I guess I was mostly doubting it because I love to lead, come up with new ideas, am very open-minded and most of the descriptions of ISFJ's make them seem like they are extremely 'service-oriented' (love to serve others, need to be needed, etc.) and I'm kind of neutral on that.

Thanks for the input!
    Well loving to lead isn't really a COMMON trait of ISFJs, but it probably depends on the area. You tend to take the lead in the areas that are you strenghts and tend to follow in the areas that are your weakness, usually. That's what everybody does, right?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You definitely do have some T tendencies, Alicia... but you are not an easy nut to crack because ISFJs can still have many of the traits you listed.

One bias in United States culture is that many women find themselves "pushed" towards an ISFJ mindset. So it can be difficult to tell whether one is really ISFJ or some other type with an ISFJ overlay.

And throwing it the tidbit about children of alcoholics... well, now you have blown the door wide open. It really messes us up; and while there are general traits of CoA people possess as a group, the extent and type of impact really does differ from individual to individual (as I am sure you noticed in your reading -- many of the traits were extremes... you might become a control freak or you might become completely unwilling to control anything, etc.)

Your artistic skills/style seems to be more S than N, that's for certain.

I do not really see a problem with an ESTJ read. I'm just pointing out that some of your ISFJs who have a strong judging function (or show some T aptitude) will have many of these same traits. ESTJ might be the better fit overall, though. As FDG points out, in an area of strength where they feel "experienced," ISFJs can dominate greatly and want to be in charge (mostly because, "If you want something done RIGHT, do it yourself." And that tends to be their leadership style -- they do as much behind the scenes as possible, by themselves, and otherwise tell people the "right way" to do something).

It would be fun to watch you walk through your day... that would probably resolve it one way or another.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft