• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maybe I'm wrong about my type?

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I should rephrase what I said: I think there's too many holes in the MBTI cognitive functions model to accurately determine your type. It's still insightful, but since it doesn't paint a complete picture of how all the extroverted-this and introverted-thats fits together, I think it's too easy to rationalize being radically different types and get stuck in a never-ending loop.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you analyzing the 8 cognitive functions or just the basic dichotomies?

I'm thinking primarily in terms of dichotomies. I've yet to find an accurate test for the eight functions (strictly MBTT-related that is). The one that Splittet constantly recommends I don't think is good. I've explained why countless times.

alicia91

Ezra - I'm not sure which is better yet but I find anything that gives real-life examples more helpful since it lessens the ambiguity. I have a tendency to read way too much into things epecially vague explanations. What do you think of this:?

How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

I found it incredibly helpful and I was really able to understand the functions better in terms of my own behavior. Hopefully the person who wrote it knows what they are talking about!

I love the F versus T question in Do What You Are. If it's accurate then I'm definately an F.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm thinking primarily in terms of dichotomies. I've yet to find an accurate test for the eight functions (strictly MBTT-related that is). The one that Splittet constantly recommends I don't think is good. I've explained why countless times.

One doesn't have to use a test, introspection is also possible, you know. (But it is easier for people with little function knowledge to use a test.) The test is obviously not perfect, but its input is especially valuable to someone who knows how to interpret it, and might discover obvious typing mistakes. Many SPs wrongly type themselves as NPs for example, because they consider themselves creative. The test will rather easily be able to tell if that is the case.

I think you should really consider your own cognitive functions profile as well, because I doubt you ENTJ typing, but sure, I have seen a few things that might support it as well. If you want to pursue the dichotomy perspective I recommend you Big Five. It's a lot better and far more nuanced than MBTI in that respect, and has relatively large scientific support. I especially recommend the SLOAN+ system, which is great.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sounds like every ENFP woman I have ever come across- except for probably CzeCze. :)

You probably wouldn't recognize an ENFP if they'd even been under your nose for years!!:D :D

alicia91

Many SPs wrongly type themselves as NPs for example, because they consider themselves creative. The test will rather easily be able to tell if that is the case.

What do you mean? SPs are supposed to be creative, just about every book, and website has them as Designers, Artists, etc. How is that not creative? Heck, most think Paul McCartney is ISFP - I think he's creative.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
You probably wouldn't recognize an ENFP if they'd even been under your nose for years!!:D :D

What makes you say that? They're fairly easy to discern. Most of the ENFP women around me tend to be hippie militant liberal types however.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The definition of creativity is the ability to create.

N has creative ideas, S has creative applications. S is better at troubleshooting, while the N is better at imagining.

So the N has more intention to be creative because of a desire to look at things in an innovative way (from their own perspective, since type is largely ego-based), the S can also innovate, but they aren't normally on the look for anything new, it mostly happens through discovery.

Keep in mind, too, that an N's ideas may not necessarily be original to the world at large, but the N's idea is probably original from his/her point of view.

alicia91

Hmm....I make a living being creative and seeing possiblities as an Interior Designer. I can look at just about any space (inside or out), or object and envision it differently, improved or just used in a different kind of way. I'm really good at creating a 'picture in my mind' then making it a reality. I have strong visual spatial skills and tend to analyze negative space (space around objects) as much as the object itself. I can also rotate objects in my mind 3-dimensionally and so forth.

So is this different than what you are saying Uber or am I just unusual for an S-type? Not sure what you mean by

the S can also innovate, but they aren't normally on the look for anything new, it mostly happens through discovery

If I envision, design and install a completey new living room for someone - is this something 'new' or through discovery? I'm thinking it's something new.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm....I make a living being creative and seeing possiblities as an Interior Designer. I can look at just about any space (inside or out), or object and envision it differently, improved or just used in a different kind of way. I'm really good at creating a 'picture in my mind' then making it a reality. I have strong visual spatial skills and tend to analyze negative space (space around objects) as much as the object itself. I can also rotate objects in my mind 3-dimensionally and so forth.

So is this different than what you are saying Uber or am I just unusual for an S-type? Not sure what you mean by

If I envision, design and install a completey new living room for someone - is this something 'new' or through discovery? I'm thinking it's something new.

Yes that's an N trait. And you seem to be a very mild S or mild N. Meaning you have balance of both traits.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ezra - I'm not sure which is better yet but I find anything that gives real-life examples more helpful since it lessens the ambiguity. I have a tendency to read way too much into things epecially vague explanations.

I completely agree.

What do you think of this:?

I found it incredibly helpful and I was really able to understand the functions better in terms of my own behavior. Hopefully the person who wrote it knows what they are talking about!

I feel no affinity with any of the functional behaviours and attitudes to be honest.

One doesn't have to use a test, introspection is also possible, you know. (But it is easier for people with little function knowledge to use a test.) The test is obviously not perfect, but its input is especially valuable to someone who knows how to interpret it, and might discover obvious typing mistakes.

The problem with it is that there are only six questions for each function, so it can never be that accurate.

I think you should really consider your own cognitive functions profile as well, because I doubt you ENTJ typing, but sure, I have seen a few things that might support it as well.

The way in which MBTI tests is dichotomically. Hence, I take it that MBTT places more emphasis on the dichotomies than on the functions, running contra to socionics.

If you want to pursue the dichotomy perspective I recommend you Big Five. It's a lot better and far more nuanced than MBTI in that respect, and has relatively large scientific support. I especially recommend the SLOAN+ system, which is great.

Here are my results.

S(64%)C(70%)O(60%)E(76%)N(62%)

What makes you say that? They're fairly easy to discern. Most of the ENFP women around me tend to be hippie militant liberal types however.

Interesting combination is hippiness, militancy and liberality.

N has creative ideas, S has creative applications. S is better at troubleshooting, while the N is better at imagining.

And what about, for example, in the case of the NT economist? Are they not masters of troubleshooting?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And what about, for example, in the case of the NT economist? Are they not masters of troubleshooting?

Who says economics is an NT pursuit? I think it's more of an ST.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a test that might help out.

DISC TEST, A FREE DISC type TEST

Just post your results when you're done.

Alicia, you can do it, too, if you like.

Thanks for that test, INTJMom. It was interesting and a nice change to the constant repetition of MBTI tests whereby the questions are all the same in every test, and I know exactly what each is implying. At least on this one I don't have a clue what my result will be, hence it's fairer. My results:

DOMINANCE = 52
INFLUENCE = 24
STEADINESS = 4
COMPLIANCE = 20

I answered "Very honestly" to the last question. This is an honest answer. ;)

Who says economics is an NT pursuit? I think it's more of an ST.

Perhaps, but do you know of the economist philosophers, a la Robert Nozick and Friedrich Hayek? Nozick was a clear NT, and I doubt Hayek was an ST.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Honestly I think you should just try to learn more about the cognitive functions, and on that basis decide what your type is. You might not find a perfect match even based on cognitive functions, but I think you should be able to find a very decent one. It should be easier to find out if you are ISFP or INFP than if you are INFJ. Fi is a function quite easy to understand, while the dominant function of the INFJ, Ni, is probably the most difficult one to understand, so take your time when you try to understand it.
Okay Split since I admire your insights and you are aware of at least my argument that the cognitive functions are too fluid to result in obtaining your preferences from a test, can you explain how one should answer the questions without getting skewed results?

Granted I may result in Ti, however usually I get Ni. Not because that is, or I consider it, my dominant introverted function. Based on Beebe, it is the function that ISPs readily use after their dominant function. I also may or may not get Se (which usually I don't because I am doing things that calls for another function. In fact if I am using Se, then it means that I am not typing on the forums, instead doing something like gardening, working in my yard or going for a nice peaceful walk. So again I would not result in my dominant functions because when taking the test, I am not cognizant of them.

Dichotomy thinking is honestly useless, and personally I consider it past in my understanding of MBTI. I think back on my early MBTI days with dichotomy thinking, and can't help but feel my understanding was very shallow, and that I understand so much more now. It seems like you as well are discovering all the joys of function theory. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ezra - I'm not sure which is better yet but I find anything that gives real-life examples more helpful since it lessens the ambiguity. I have a tendency to read way too much into things epecially vague explanations. What do you think of this:?

I had a Te moment today, and realised that I actually use it quite a lot. Hence, I relate most to Te. Clearly I was in theoretical mode when I was reading this article.