• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maybe I'm wrong about my type?

alicia91

I'd say P because you're having trouble picking a type & sticking to it

It's kind of fun to introduce myself as a different type each week! ;)

I'm pretty sure about the I (though I'm quite close to the middle, some tests measure me as E but I know that I'm more I), the S, and the P.

I think that some S types are quite tidy. My feeling is that many S's are quite sensitive and particular about their environment and want a certain harmony around them - and a big pile of laundry kind of spoils it!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that some S types are quite tidy. My feeling is that many S's are quite sensitive and particular about their environment and want a certain harmony around them - and a big pile of laundry kind of spoils it!
I can't speak for S types in general, I'm not even sure of my type really, but I'm like this. Mess bothers me and I tend to keep my room fairly clean (ironically, way tidier than my INFJ and ESFJ roommates'). I can't study if my room's messy, it's too uncomfortable...

alicia91

I can't speak for S types in general, I'm not even sure of my type really, but I'm like this. Mess bothers me and I tend to keep my room fairly clean (ironically, way tidier than my INFJ and ESFJ roommates'). I can't study if my room's messy, it's too uncomfortable...

Me too! I can't cook in a messy kitchen either. This confused me for a long time and made me think that I was a J - but I'm not.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Me too! I can't cook in a messy kitchen either. This confused me for a long time and made me think that I was a J - but I'm not.

Ahh yes, to quote myself :devil:

Ugly house = ugly mood.

I know how you feel.

alicia91

Exactly!! :yes:

I think I've seen some other SP-types on this board say the same thing.

alicia91

Been thinking some more about the ISTP type, and while I relate to a lot of the general thought patterns, the overall description seems off. But ISTP makes SENSE because of the functions but is it just that I have high F that it seems off? The ISTP profile is generally written as a masculine type who does skilled-trades, likes weapons, the strong-silent type, good with tools and machinery. I'm just really............. girly-girly. My image is more French manicures and high heels.

Maybe I just need to read about women ISTPs?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The leading functions are different with ISTP's and ISFP's.
Which seems more familiar to you? Supportin is the same with both.

ISTP
  • Leading: Introverted Thinking: Analyzing, categorizing, and evaluating according to principles
  • Supporting: Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing and acting in the immediate context.

Introverted Thinking
Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

ISFP
  • Leading: Introverted Feeling: Valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth
  • Supporting: Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing and acting in the immediate context.

Introverted Feeling
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

alicia91

I'm going to have to think about this - I can really relate to both. :doh: However, it would make more sense to me if I was leading with S rather than either of those two. Maybe I'm just ISXP and that's as close as I'll ever get - nevermind the seperate functions?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm going to have to think about this - I can really relate to both. :doh: However, it would make more sense to me if I was leading with S rather than either of those two. Maybe I'm just ISXP and that's as close as I'll ever get - nevermind the seperate functions?

Remember that the first function of introverted person cannot be seen outside.

Si would make you ISTJ or ISFJ. I find ISTJ's extremely proper and ISFJ's extremely tender hearted. Some descriptions, here you go. ;)

ISTJ:
  • Leading: Introverted Sensing: Reviewing and recalling past experiences and seeking detailed data
  • Supporting: Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting, organizing for efficiency, and systematizing

ISFJ
  • Leading: Introverted Sensing: Reviewing and recalling past experiences and seeking detailed data
  • Supporting: Extraverted Feeling: Connecting and considering others and the group

Introverted Sensing
Type Myers-Briggs
ISTJ SiTeFiNe SeTiFeNi Introvert Sensing
ISFJ SiFeTiNe SeFiTeNi Introvert Sensing

Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference

alicia91

Thanks Alcearos - you are so helpful. :)

I've ruled out ISTJ a while ago. I have none of that need for outside structure, details, rules, etc. Just no.

ISFJ - that was my original thought when I came to the board. But I'm just not that giving, not big on social formalities, conformity etc. Actually I'm fairly conventional myself but I don't necessarily think it;s a GOOD thing. I'm very open-minded.

I thought that MBTI would be so useful as a tool to learn more about myself and my possibilities but inevitably what happens is I figure out the pieces - the I, the S etc. but when I put them all together they don't resemble me enough to be really useful. Last I checked I was something like:

55%I, 74%S, 51%F, 65%P

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

I can see that! I tend not to notice my environment much until my boyfriend points out the cup that's been sitting on the counter for a week... oops!

I can usually study, work, whatever regardless of how my external environment looks - though I will say that I feel a lot better when it's tidy (maybe that's the inferior Se peeking out?). The problem I have is NOTICING that it's not tidy. The noticing usually comes days after I should've cleaned it! I'm not a very good J, hahaha.

To try and help you further with your analysis of type, do you feel really strongly about living and embodying your personal values? Both ISFP's I've dated and the INFP's in my family feel really strongly about being this way. Both of the ISFP's also would "act out" their Fi (really, their values) in forms of art and style. If my ISFP ex boyfriend felt strongly about animal rights, he would become a vegetarian to live what he valued. I could almost always guess his mood on how he would dress on any given day.

I guess a good distinction between ISTP and ISFP would be... do you feel your Se shows off your internal systems & thoughts or do you feel it shows off your feelings & values?

alicia91

Hmmm...

While I don't think I can relate to a strong internal purpose/values that I strive to follow. Of course I try to be a good person, and raise my kids with good values and morals but I wouldn't say that I have a particular inner philosophy that I'm following.

alicia91

I think you might be right INTJMom (and several others) - I might very well be INFJ. I printed out the Murray State & Wayne State descriptions, studied them and highlighted the relevant sections. I'm not going to go too indepth right now about why it fits - I'm going to 'live with it' for a while first and not be too hasty to say that this is IT.

The Discordia test keeps placing me as an E - the latest being ENFJ so that's not completey ruled out, but something tells me that it's a bit off because it just seems too out there and I'm fairly reserved (I like small talk and chit-chat but I don't reveal much at all). I also relate to some aspects of the INTJ especially the section in the Murray State that says:
To a casual visitor, the home may seem neat, but its more private corners reflect a series of half-started projects, collections of momentos, and an assortment of potential challenges: a guitar to be mastered, a file to be organized, a household repair to be made.

Very me! Also the part about both conceptual and practical interests. I'm a future thinker but also heavily practical.

The main reasons that I question INFJ is that I'm not a gifted writer at all, and verbally I do OK but I wouldn't call either one a gift.

That's all for now.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think you might be right INTJMom (and several others) - I might very well be INFJ. I printed out the Murray State & Wayne State descriptions, studied them and highlighted the relevant sections. I'm not going to go too indepth right now about why it fits - I'm going to 'live with it' for a while first and not be too hasty to say that this is IT.

The Discordia test keeps placing me as an E - the latest being ENFJ so that's not completey ruled out, but something tells me that it's a bit off because it just seems too out there and I'm fairly reserved (I like small talk and chit-chat but I don't reveal much at all). I also relate to some aspects of the INTJ especially the section in the Murray State that says:

Very me! Also the part about both conceptual and practical interests. I'm a future thinker but also heavily practical.

The main reasons that I question INFJ is that I'm not a gifted writer at all, and verbally I do OK but I wouldn't call either one a gift.

That's all for now.
I don't think you're getting a correct result from that test.

Didn't you think you were an S at first? I think you're too practical to be an N, and some of the things you said in response to the questions yesterday led me to believe S.

I just wasn't sure about the P or J.
Not all J types have an orderly home.
They might want it neat or prefer it that way but there could be tons of reasons why it's not.

If I were you, I would check out ISFP and ISFJ.
I think you're one of those.

Don't forget to think about how you were when you were young, since you begin to balance out at age 25, but you don't ever go from one type to another.

alicia91

Thanks Mom. I thought yesterday you were suggesting INFJ for me? So I investigated the N-types.

I guess at this point I'm about ready to throw in the towel. There seems to be no type that sees possibiliites, is very future oriented, yet is also practical. My entire life revolves around self-improvement, self-discovery, imagining and designing spaces, etc.

Didn't you think you were an S at first?

For years I thought I was INTJ. But when I first came here I thought I was an S for several reasons. But none of it fits well enough to be useful to me in the slightest.

I've gotten a lot of great suggestions and input from everybody but a lot of it is conflicting. SOme say 'answer it like you were a late teen or early 20's' others say 'answer it like you think not act' still others say 'answer the question they way you actually ACT not think or wish' When I went through the Discordia questions using my thoughts from my early 20's I was clearly an N and also more outgoing than I am now. I'm also more S-like now in my 40's.

Any kind of SJ is absolutely out of the question, ISFP is an OK fit but still doesn't capture the real me. As much as I think this is interesting, and I've identifies all three of my kids, my parents and severl friends - I can simply not use this system for myself. I'm not one of the types - I must be the unknown 17th one that is yet to be discovered. :(

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any kind of SJ is absolutely out of the question, ISFP is an OK fit but still doesn't capture the real me. :(

Alicia, I don't think ANY of the types are going to capture the 'real you'. There's a lot outside of type that type cannot account for. Any of us on here could write volumes about our lives and ourselves. How can all of it, including our experiences, be captured in any 2 page blurb?

I do think a lot of your confusion is tied towards your having matured over time. Also, just the general stereotypes behind the E/I, T/F, etc functions. Like INTJMom said, J's aren't always gonna have clean spaces. When you get down to little details like that, not everything is going to line up, and differences between people of the same type will emerge.

There are numerous 'little' differences between one of my INFJ friends and myself. I mean, for example, she can be quite scatterbrained at times, and I don't think I am, and her house isn't nearly as clean as I keep mine...because she doesn't care about that. BUT we're both the same type, and as far as cognitive functions go, and how we interact with others, and how we perceive the world around us and how we think, etc, we're SO similar. It's like our brains are in sync. We're 'twins' in much of our internal and behavioral sense..but external details..yeah, there are definite differences.

I know from your earlier posts, and when you first came in here, you were pretty certain on the Introvert Sensing piece....so I think that's a pretty solid start, and is probably more the real you, and from everything you've written, at least the I S makes sense to me.

It's when you start overanalyzing all this stuff that it's easy to get confused and you start identifying with pieces of every one of the types!!! I know I have done that in the past, but once I stop thinking about all of it for a while, let go, and reflect on a lifetime of my behaviors, I feel I have a better sense for what my overall 'type' is.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks Mom. I thought yesterday you were suggesting INFJ for me? So I investigated the N-types.
Oops. :blush: Sorry.

I guess at this point I'm about ready to throw in the towel. There seems to be no type that sees possibilities, is very future oriented, yet is also practical. My entire life revolves around self-improvement, self-discovery, imagining and designing spaces, etc.

Any kind of SJ is absolutely out of the question, ISFP is an OK fit but still doesn't capture the real me. :(
Any type description is only going to describe you about 85% of the way. I don't think anyone feels 100% described by any profile.

What do you mean by self-improvement? Could you describe it a little?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Alicia, I don't think ANY of the types are going to capture the 'real you'. There's a lot outside of type that type cannot account for. Any of us on here could write volumes about our lives and ourselves. How can all of it, including our experiences, be captured in any 2 page blurb?

I do think a lot of your confusion is tied towards your having matured over time. Also, just the general stereotypes behind the E/I, T/F, etc functions. Like INTJMom said, J's aren't always gonna have clean spaces. When you get down to little details like that, not everything is going to line up, and differences between people of the same type will emerge.

There are numerous 'little' differences between one of my INFJ friends and myself. I mean, for example, she can be quite scatterbrained at times, and I don't think I am, and her house isn't nearly as clean as I keep mine...because she doesn't care about that. BUT we're both the same type, and as far as cognitive functions go, and how we interact with others, and how we perceive the world around us and how we think, etc, we're SO similar. It's like our brains are in sync. We're 'twins' in much of our internal and behavioral sense..but external details..yeah, there are definite differences.

I know from your earlier posts, and when you first came in here, you were pretty certain on the Introvert Sensing piece....so I think that's a pretty solid start, and is probably more the real you, and from everything you've written, at least the I S makes sense to me.

It's when you start overanalyzing all this stuff that it's easy to get confused and you start identifying with pieces of every one of the types!!! I know I have done that in the past, but once I stop thinking about all of it for a while, let go, and reflect on a lifetime of my behaviors, I feel I have a better sense for what my overall 'type' is.
Excellent post. I concur.

alicia91

I edited my other post a little.

Any type description is only going to describe you about 85% of the way. I don't think anyone feels 100% described by any profile.

I realize that, but none of them are capturing my basic core essence. I think my age and the fact that I usually score close to center on several traits has something to do with my problem finding my MBTI 'home.'

What do you mean by self-improvement? Could you describe it a little?

The main thing about me is that I look at everything 'as it could be' not as it is and certainly not 'as it was.' What I'm really good at is looking at possibilites, looking at the present reality and building a bridge, or a plan to get from current reality to future goal. When I first came on the board and talked about this looking to the future, what can be stuff, I know Xander mentioned that this reminded him of his ENFJ sister, but I think it was overshadowed by my S-like interests, and down-to-earth style.

In terms of my plan - in most cases, I form my own plan to get there, in other cases I research and find out the 'best' way. I do this with everything - this is why I'm here at MBTI Central. I want to use MBTI theory to improve myself - be the best I can be, learn about myself and others around me - help me understand them better and therefore improve my relations. Maybe there are things about me that I don't know yet so I was hoping that this system might help? I love to explore self-help books - currently working on The Four Agreements and Coach Yourself to Success. I have a tendency to do this with everything. I'm doing OK financially - how can I do better? Do I need a plan, a system, a book, a website? My kids are getting B+s in school, how can they get A's? I know, I will take them to a tutor. My house is a mess, and I'm picky about my environment, but I'm not naturally organized so what do I do? Read 6 books about housecleaning, sign up for Flylady emails (none of which work but hey, I tried). My marriage is mediocre though hubby and I are soulmates, so now I'm posting on marriage websites because I need to fix it or at the very least understand our differences. I feel inadequate becasue I don't have enough interesting things to talk about so I thought 'I need to take up some new hobbies' so I'm now playing golf and skiing. So I'm always 'plugging holes.'

I'm also all about improvement of my external environment, actually all environments. When I see a space I immediately can see in my mind how it would look and more importantly how it would feel if I could only...move the furniture, paint, get new flooring, knock out a wall etc. When I pull up to some place I can't help to notice the gardening - "it would be nice if." THis is what I do for a living - I'm an Interior Designer.

That's a brief outline of my version of self-improvement.

If I am an IS-type then it has to be ISFP. It's the closest but it doesn't contain my CORE traits - the looking at possibilities, the 'what can be piece' that is so central to my being. Looked at ISTP recently and even if I look at the non-mechanical descriptions, it just doesn't resonate. ISFJ - nope. ISTJ- absolutely not.