User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thanks Alcearos! I think that's what I'm going to do. Just explore and take my time.

But it's always SOMETHING that doesn't line up with the tests or descriptions. For example, I get the letters figured out ...........E--X--T--J then when they are all put together and I read about the type as a whole I think 'Whoa.......that is so NOT me!'

Side-note - about the NT findings: in many ways it's true that I'm very attracted to theories (that's why I'm here!) and classification systems yet at the same time I'm quite status and appearance concious and tend to follow the trends (clothing, hair styles, cosmetics etc.) a bit more than I suspect most NT's do. I also have good social skills and I'm reading that many NT's don't 'care' much about stuff like that and I certainly do. On the other hand I'm much more rational than a Feeler.........so the cycle continues.

Edit - I also have to mention an incident when I was very young that I think is reflective of me before I was too 'conditioned.' I have a late birthday so my parents took me to a Kindergarten 'readiness' evaluation. THe tester asked me to draw a self-portrait. My parents were chatting with her while I was drawing. After quite some time I was just finishing up. I had drawn a giant cruise ship that covered the entire page and had drawn a teeny-tiny stick figure of myself as the captain. The tester was quite mortified but my parents thought it was quite funny. I've always wanted to 'do my own thing' or is it a 'control thing?' But as I got older and cared more about what people thought I learned to resist doing things like that because I realized that doing what you are supposed to do gave me more academic success and academic success is critically important.

I've been thinking about the 'big picture' versus 'small picture' concept and I think I've had a major revelation about my job. As I've mentioned earlier I've recently (in the past two years) started my own business as an interior designer working by myself out of my home. This was after staying home with my kids for 15 years. Between college and having kids, I worked in a home furnishings store as a sales person and it was OK. I'm good at small-talk and talking about products though I hated the 'pressure to sell' aspect since I'm totally against selling people things they don't need. Anyhow, I've concluded that I'm definately a 'big picture' person and in terms of design I get a good feel for a space and the concept of what needs to be done with it is what I LOVE to do. What's the problem? Most of being an interior designer these days is DETAILS - gold fringe or red?, 6" border of 4"?, light cherry or dark cherry - how wide, not to mention the nitty gritty business skills I hate - accounting, keeping track of receipts, taxes and on and on. I'd like to be the designer that just comes in, dreams up the concept and the major space planning and leaves the rest to the subordinates. Unfortunately I have no subordinates! Am I 'good' at the details.........YES I am. I HAVE to be and I've been TRAINED to be.

So am I more P than I thought? Yet I'm strongly 'security seeking' and worried about future stability. Hmmm....

Nope - changed my mind about NT and P already!

I've almost done a complete circle and am back to the ISFJ/ESFJ categories. I think I'm just weak J and close to the center on most of the others also. By now I kind of feel like the Sybil of the MBTI world.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Try reading all E descriptions if you are still unhappy with the result.

But if you are happy with ESFJ, then that's it.

Forced hubby to sit down with me today and go over all of it with me. It was torture for him (ENTJ with ADHD) but he knows me better than anyone else.

1) He laughed his ass off when I told him I thought I was Extraverted. He said something to the effect of 'just because you go out for lunch once a weak with your girlfriends and say hello to the cashiers at the grocery store in no way makes you Extraverted........ (roaring laughter)' Okie-dokie then.

2) Definately S - but I kind of knew that.

3) T vs F - a bit harder but he claims that I'm more F than T. I make decisions based on how I feel rather than cold hard logic. But he says I have a way of making my decisions SOUND completely rational and logical so I come across as T. I think he's right. I also think that my F might be somewhat weak.

4) He was so surprised that I hadn't figured this one out. J v P. He says I'm P but with enough J that I'm trying to improve my J skills and have to a large degree but I'm still P no matter how hard I try. Some examples he gave was when I moved from Canada to the US it took me about 5 years to close all my Canadian bank accounts, I'm still a Canadian citizen even though I've been here for 17 years - (just in case I want to move back). Despite this I have enough J to make me CARE about being organized and because I'm very picky about my surroundings I spent considerable time working on them. Yet details still can stress me out.

I've read some of the online versions of ISFP and the one at Bestfittype sounds JUST like me, though other ones like Typelogic aren't so accurate. However, I have the book Do What You Are and the chapter in there that describes this type is very accurate, so it's definately a possibility.

My husband said that the four most obvious characteristics about me are 'Talent in Visual-Spatial Skills' (can easily visualize in 3-D in my mind) and 'Fact-Finder Researcher' (I have extensive facts about things like plants that bloom in August stored on the computer) and 'More of a Consultant than Doer' (lose interest after the start-up phase) and 'Always looking out for Other's Best Interests' (give lots of good common-sense advice and support to people around me).

I think this makes a lot of sense but I'm not willing to declare it just yet! I guess what is stopping me is the whole Artisian image. Yes, I have STRONG visual-spatial skills, but I'm in no way a 'fine-artist.' The guy with the beret at mypersonality really freaks me out!

Still thinking about this.

At this point I'm going to say that I'm a P. It seems to line up best with the way I was when I was young. I've definately picked up a lot of J traits over the years but I think they are 'learned' or something that I do in times of stress OR they just plain make sense. I know in some ways I can be a bit anal-retentive and this is what made me originally think I was a J, however it's not what I do naturally. For example, I'm VERY picky about my surroundings - I want to be in a calm, warm atmosphere in my home. Therefore when I see a giant pile of laundry, it upsets my environment and reminds me of unfinished tasks. I tidy my bathroom because I want it to look like a spa. So I devise all sorts of routines to allow me to have the environment that I want but I'm not naturally good at keeping it up - the cycle goes on and on and it takes a huge effort. Of course I'm not entirely P -the latest test said about 64% which still leaves a lot of J.

I'm leaving the ISFP for right now......but doubts have crept in again. I finally read all the information on that Lenore Wikipedia site and after that...I'm more confused than ever. While reading it, I took notes and felt that I could very much relate to several of the functions and I was so happy I felt like I was getting somewhere. Then I stopped and looked how it matched up to my original 8 functions test that Splittet recommended - ha! they are completely different.

First let me say that I did not understand the section on Feeling and couldn't decipher at all if I am more Fi or Fe- didn't feel any connection at all but it was probably the way it was written. I completely related to Ni, Ti (in no particular order). Now, I also relate strongly with Si and I realize that the more stressed out and anxious I am the stronger the Si gets. Since I feel stressed and slightly anxious A LOT it's hard to say if it's my natural self or a real problem. I guess I have to think back to a happy peaceful time in my life (when the heck was that?).

So if you put Si, Ni and Ti together - what do you get?

Today I was once again asked asked to be a moderator at a forum that I have participated in for a couple of years. This is the third time a board owner (different boards) has PMed asking me to do this because they usually claim that I'm "calm, not overly opinionated yet speak my mind, rational but sensitive to people's feelings" Maybe they are just saying this and are simply desperate for suckers to moderate?

Any of you have any vibes about me?

Maybe I should just give this up? LOL

MBTI
    INTJ

I actually think you are ISTP rather than ISFP, which would mean your primary function, is Ti, a function you stated you identify with. One of the main reasons why you should really consider ISTP is actually that you are female. Because of gender roles many females of thinking types will find it hard to type themselves as Ts. Generally female Ts are more balanced than male Ts, and male Fs more balanced than female Fs. In a way T is a male perspective, while F is a female perspective. That means female Ts very much have the F perspective in them because of their gender, which might confuse things somewhat. My theory anyway. :P

Thank you (again!) Splittet, what you say makes a lot of sense. I guess a few things have made me discount ISTP. First my husband has professionally tested as ENTJ but now sometimes tests as ESTJ and compared to him - I'm a big wimp! For example when the kids misbehave he immediately goes into punishment mode "to your room!" "you are grounded" whereas I want to sit with them and calmly hear their side and talk about the underlying issues - "why were you so frusterated you hit your brother?" Perhaps that's just my 'femaleness?' And his T is strong!

Also ISTP's are often depicted as mechanics and having a tool in their hand - hmm...not me other thant he fact that I am a very 'hands-on' interior designer. I hang up pictures, move furniture, install curtains etc. but I have a handyman do the big things. But I wonder if that's a gender-role thing? Maybe I COULD do it - I just haven't really tried - but the interest certainly is there.

I noticed that the tertiary for ISTP is Ni (which I really relate to) and I'm middle-aged (yikes!) so I guess that makes sense.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Still thinking about this.

At this point I'm going to say that I'm a P. It seems to line up best with the way I was when I was young. I've definately picked up a lot of J traits over the years but I think they are 'learned' or something that I do in times of stress OR they just plain make sense. I know in some ways I can be a bit anal-retentive and this is what made me originally think I was a J, however it's not what I do naturally. For example, I'm VERY picky about my surroundings - I want to be in a calm, warm atmosphere in my home. Therefore when I see a giant pile of laundry, it upsets my environment and reminds me of unfinished tasks. I tidy my bathroom because I want it to look like a spa. So I devise all sorts of routines to allow me to have the environment that I want but I'm not naturally good at keeping it up - the cycle goes on and on and it takes a huge effort. Of course I'm not entirely P -the latest test said about 64% which still leaves a lot of J.
    I'd say P because you're having trouble picking a type & sticking to it. J's tend to be satisfied with a decision more easily than P's.

My ENFP best friend is VERY particular about her surroundings and as far from J as you can get. She's actually more tidy than I am with her room & I'm a J. Messiness is a tough thing to measure.