User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    ... if I am around other people too long I need to recharge, but if I'm alone too much (or just with my immediate family) then I need to get out and socialize and I feel much better.
    I think that means you are more "I" than "E".

Another way to think of E vs. I:Initiating vs. Responding. Do you tend to initiate or respond to people more often.
    Definately Initiate.

Another way to think of N vs. S: Abstract vs. Concrete -- You seem concrete
    Yes I'm concrete

Directing vs. Informing:This is close to J vs. P but not quite. It is a reflection of the type and purpose of the language you use (which reflects a bit of what happens in your mind). Do you generally use language more to "direct" people (in what could certainly be a helpful way) or to "inform" people (in ways that can certainly help them find direction).
    Hard to say - I know I do both. I know I've become more direct over the years and my husband absolutely detests the 'informing' style of communication so perhaps I've adjusted my style because of him? However, I've always thought that the informing style was more polite.....??? My mom claims that in 5th grade the teacher called her after he overheard me telling the group I was supposed to do a project with that "I'll write the whole thing, you guys color the pictures ....and that way we will get an A."

Do you aim to control outcomes, or to ensure movement towards goals?
    Don't know. Maybe the former.

Are you focused more on how people are structured or in how to motivate them?
    I'm not sure exactly what is meant by 'focused on how people are structured' but I don't think I'm particularly good at figuring out how to motivate people.

Do you prefer peer/comrade relationships or relationships like teacher-student, mentor-protege?
    Peer/comrade

Temperaments
    Artisan - Focused on having the freedom to act and making an impact
    Guardian - Focused on responsibilities and desire to be reliable
    Idealist - Focused on meaning and identity w/ regard to higher purposes
    Rational - Focused on competence and having the skills to deal with life well.

Guardian or Rational

In-Charge - likes to take the lead
    Get-Things-Going - likes to make things happen
    Chart-the-Course - likes to make sure we are on track
    Behind-the-scenes - likes to make sure we chose the right track

Chart-the-Course or In-Charge

participative vs. independent styles
    Independant. I'm always the best person for the job.

Local vs. Global perspective

Don't know. When I was younger I was more global. I was interested in politics and what was going on in the world. As I've gotten older I've found that I'm happier focusing on my own little world!

hard vs. soft demeanor
    That's easy - hard. I'm definately a Type A.

Mainstream vs. Counter-Culture attitude
    :

Easy - Mainstream. I dislike the counter-culture scene.

Hmmm.....

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmmm.....
    Does your husband ever tell you that you jump to conclusions on shreds of evidence that are too tiny? (this would be a possible short-coming he might see in you)

You are seeming rather ESTJ to me.

But a few more questions, if you don't mind:

If you went to college, how did you choose your major? How often did you switch?

What were your extracurriculars in school?

What do you do to relax, now?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Does your husband ever tell you that you jump to conclusions on shreds of evidence that are too tiny? (this would be a possible short-coming he might see in you)
    Yes! But I'll defend myself and say that my conclusions often end up being correct. But sometimes I jump to a negative conclusion when it was unnecessary. For example, I had a physical this week and a few days later someone from the doc's office called and left a message on my machine. Until I could get back to them I was freaking out thinking that I had a major disease. However, they just needed to confirm my insurance!

If you went to college, how did you choose your major? How often did you switch?
    I went to college to study economics originally. I think the idea was that I was going to eventually study law. I'm also very interested in money so it made sense at the time. But I found economics too 'dry' and just lots of boring, old theories. So I switched to Political Science after the first year. I was interested but really couldn't imagine working in this field - what kind of a job would it lead to and I had lost my interest in law at that time. Eventually I had a major family situation (became estranged from my father who was putting me through school) and had to drop out. To make a long story short I ended up switching colleges and after much soul-searching decided that I wanted a more hands-on, practical career - so I went to design school and have a degree in interior design.

What were your extracurriculars in school?

Not many in grade school, my parents didn't encourage it and wouldn't drive me anywhere or pay for anything. I mostly played with friends in the neighborhood. I do remember playing soccer on a team in middle-school, trying to play in the band (Yuck!) and taking drama lessons (yuck!) and was on the Long-Distance running team (which I liked). In high-school I was on the Pep Squad, but that was about it since I was too busy socializing and hanging out with friends.

What do you do to relax, now?
    Shop, hang out with my kids, go out with my husband for dinner and/or drinks, read books - self-help, gardening, cooking, personal finance/investments, wines, downhill ski, go to hockey games (we have season tickets), go to the club (pool & golf), this past summer I took golf lessons which I enjoyed, hiking, travelling (but I like familiar places best - Florida Keys, Sedona, Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Charleston, Myrtle Beach - I basically rotate those trips). I'm also a huge amusement park fan - every year I hit Disney, Cedar Point, King's Island and Canada's Wonderland. I'm also really into water-parks. So I don't really relax too much! Actually I don't relax .... period..... except when sleeping! LOL

And the winner is:

ESFJ

I'm not going to give all the details as to why this is correct, but I will say that a couple of tests REALLY helped with this. One is the test that gives you your actual type, your desired type (not the correct terminology I realize). But it highlighted the fact that I'm trying (without realizing it) to be more T than I am. I admire T'ness, but I'm a master at rationalizing my own opinions and making them seem T-like.

I belive that some of the confusion also stems from a weak (borderline) E and J . Of course, it's not 100% but close enough.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

And the winner is:

ESFJ

I'm not going to give all the details as to why this is correct, but I will say that a couple of tests REALLY helped with this. One is the test that gives you your actual type, your desired type (not the correct terminology I realize). But it highlighted the fact that I'm trying (without realizing it) to be more T than I am. I admire T'ness, but I'm a master at rationalizing my own opinions and making them seem T-like.

I belive that some of the confusion also stems from a weak (borderline) E and J . Of course, it's not 100% but close enough.
    That does make some sense. You don't quite seem cold enough to be an ST, but do seem a bit more driven/organized than a typical SF... which makes you seem more T. And the tertiary Ne explains why you're interested in this so much. Pretty good, actually. But don't feel bad if you're not sure 100%... I don't think anyone ever really is.

And the tertiary Ne explains why you're interested in this so much
    I believe so. And I think my Ne is really developing and I've read that tends to happen in middle-age (yikes!).

From TypeLogic:

Strong, contradictory forces consume the ESFJ. Their sense of right and wrong wrestles with an overwhelming rescuing, 'mothering' drive. This sometimes results in swift, immediate action taken upon a transgressor, followed by stern reprimand; ultimately, however, the prodigal is wrested from the gallows of their folly, just as the noose tightens and all hope is lost, by the very executioner!

An ESFJ at odds with self is a remarkable sight. When a decision must be made, especially one involving the risk of conflict (abhorrent to ESFJs), there ensues an in-house wrestling match between the aforementioned black-and-white Values and the Nemesis of Discord. The contender pits self against self, once firmly deciding with the Right, then switching to Prudence to forestall hostilities, countered by unswerving Values, ad exhaustium, winner take all.
    This in incredibly accurate and insightful!

(I'm going to use this post as a journal of my discoveries for the time being. Feel free to comment or not).

I'm still not satisfied. It's like the 'real me' still hasn't been discovered. Again, I'm probably just too old for this to be accurate. Lately I've been getting several N results. I just can't seem to seperate my 'natural inclination' with 'what I've been conditioned to be over the years.' At this point I suspect that I've become more S, and J over the years. I'm not saying I'm not naturally either of those, but I've also been pushed in that direction.

Yesterday on the CareerStrength test I got:

The temperment pattern you rated highest:

Theorist (NT) Strategist Talent

The temperment pattern you rated second:

Improviser (SP) Tactical Talent

No wonder I'm so lost in all of this!

I also did the Enneagram test and turned out to be:

3 (with my next score a tie between a 4 & 6, with 8 also quite close)

For some reason I found the Enneagram test questions a bit easier to answer than typical MBTI - not sure why that is. I'm not too thrilled with 3 being the winner since it seems shallow and neurotic

Well, that's it for now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

My suggestion:

Read a lot of MBTI type descriptions! That way I found my type, not through tests but lots of studying, self reflection and thinking it over. The type that seems best, closest and the most familiar to you is probably your type. It can take time!

I first thought I was ESTJ (according to first of internet tests I did), then reading the descriptions I thought I was more ESFJ like. Then I read more and thought that I'm not as giving as ESFJ's. Then I thought I was ENFJ but that was too good to be true. After all that I found ENFP, realized that I was feeling type, understood what intuition meant (in MBTI) and accepted my P'ness. So, I found my type. It took some 6 months or so. (Even if I still think I might be ENFx sometimes .

Good luck in your search!