User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 159

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    What are you like more often? Do you take control more often, or do you go into the background more often?
    Not super easy to answer but I'm going to go with 'take control.' THat's probably because when I really CARE about something, then I want it done right. But then I got roped into helping on a Cub Scout committe and I didn't really care how this particular thing was organized so I just did it and helped.

    Do you plan what you design beforehand or just 'go with the flow'?
    Something in between. For example, if I'm making flower arrangements for clients then I'll buy a certain amount of 'tall' backbone flowers, a few focal flowers, a bunch of small fillers and some trailers - but I'll figure out the design when I get there. Or if it's a particularly big project then I might have made some sketches in advance, but not a detailed design.


    Taking responsibility on a church board - this does indeed sound STJ-ish. (many INTJ's are atheists and agnostics - I'm different, in that I'm a practicing Catholic who doesn't really relate to either belief) How outspoken are you during board meetings?

    Ok, I belong to a liberal/progressive church, and I'm on the board under Buildings and Grounds - nothing to do with religion or theories! I'm quite opinonated actually and say a lot.

    By problem-solver, I assume that you mean that you are adept at resolving personal conflicts. Unless you use logic correctly to solve personal problems...
    Hmmm...not sure. I definately am good at resolving personal conflict. However, I'm good/logical in other ways too. Many years ago my husband wasn't getting ahead in the large corporation he was in and complained to me about it. I took it upon myself to find out what experience/qualifications that others in the company had who were above him, found out that the company paid the tuition and practically enrolled in him his MBA program. There - problem solved.

    medium in terms of patience

    Borderline J/P? Please clarify what you mean further.
    I tend to get impatient when I'm in meeting that drifts off topic or gets personal so I tend to butt in and get the meeting back on track. On the other hand I'm quite patient with children and animals.

    Why do you love to research? Just because you love facts, because you wish to see why certain events or things occur in life, or because you like looking for correlations while researching? The last part is certainly J-ish - taking control to bring closure.
    MOSTLY, because I'm always on this 'self-improvement' quest and also finding out the BEST way to do something, take care of something, etc. So before I got my dogs, I had to spend a few months researching dog breeds to see what types would be best for my family. Before I got new hardwood flooring I spent considerable amounts of time reviewing wood types. When two of my kids were diagnosed ADHD, I read a ton of books on the subject so that I could understand them and help them. I don't care about facts for facts-sake, it's all about gaining useful info.

    Hmmm.... what sort of things make you anxious? (You don't need to answer if it is too much disclosure.)
    Lack of security, lack of money, dying young, something happening to my family, my body failing, growing old, medical tests. Yet I recently went for my first physical in three years but I didn't go for a long time because I was so afraid of the doctor finding something. Stupid I know.


    Perhaps more examples of your behaviour would be indicative? Mind you the lack of examples would lead me to think that your not a sensor at all but an intuitive person.
    Interesting! The first time I took a MBTI test I came out INTJ (Professor Snape type it said)!! But I read up on it and felt it was all wrong - I'm not into abstractions, theories and I'm much more social than that type. Then I thought I was ISTJ, but it also felt wrong because I'm not a 'bean-counter' type - I would hate the kind of routine monoteny I suspect that they like.

    I know Jennifer asked about my daily routine in a speculative way, but I just thought I'd mention what works for me. I love a 'flexible routine' meaning that I usually have a 'focus of the day.' I do this 'focus' after I've completed my morning routine which is get up at 5:15, drive kids to school, straighten out the house, do a load of laundry, walk the dogs, surf the net for a bit, and (usually) workout. Depending on how motivated I am, and how much I actually needed to do, I am done around 10-11 and then spend the rest of the day on my 'focus.' When I have jobs I simply shift the 'focuses' around on my calendar. But it really doesn't matter to me whether I do the laundry first or walk the dogs first - I just do whatever makes sense at the time.

    You guys are SO helpful!! I really appreciate it.

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The character says ENFJ to me. What's her name out of Peanuts. That was a nickname used for my sister. Peppermint Patty wasn't it?
    Peppermint Patty: ESTP (the low-key outgoing tomboy)
    Lucy Van Pelt: ESFJ -- VERY *F* and VERY *S*

    There are comparisons between ESFJ and ESTJ, though. Perhaps that is what you're seeing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Peppermint Patty: ESTP (the low-key outgoing tomboy)
    Lucy Van Pelt: ESFJ -- VERY *F* and VERY *S*

    There are comparisons between ESFJ and ESTJ, though. Perhaps that is what you're seeing.
    Dag nab it I always pick the wrong name!!!! The one in the blue dress who was kind of the temperamental type...just a bit.

    She used to be that bad that even if someone raised a hand to her you could visibly see her resolve strengthen like she was feeding off the resistance. That kind always says to me ExFJ and like I said I don't know any ESFJs except my Great Aunt who is a little too old to serve as a good psychological model.

    My only frame of reference is that if you constantly ask people if they are okay about every five minutes then you're an S and if you know if they are okay or not then you're an N
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Wow, so much information!! I need to digest it all.

    On a side-note - does anyone know which MBTI types Martha Stewart and the character Bree from Desperate Housewives are? My husband has joked that I remind him of Martha 'a soft voice, a friendly smile, a plate of cookies....but a battle-ax on the inside.'

  5. #25
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Wow, so much information!! I need to digest it all.

    On a side-note - does anyone know which MBTI types Martha Stewart and the character Bree from Desperate Housewives are? My husband has joked that I remind him of Martha 'a soft voice, a friendly smile, a plate of cookies....but a battle-ax on the inside.'
    Said like that it does sound like ESFJ. I'm thinking that the whole "battle axe on the inside" is in reference to the INTP shadow.

    Actually I do know one ESFJ...well met her twice. Now that I think of it I can see the parallels. I bet you're tidy and organised by my standards though
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #26
    To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Alicia,
    A lot of your responses seem very similar to how my Dad deals with things/goes about his day. He's an ESTJ.

    You seem slightly more 'go with the flow' than he does - he'll usually prepare things beforehand so he doesn't have to worry about it when he gets to wherever he has to use it - but for the most part your descriptions sounded very similar - especially the part about researching things thoroughly before committing to anything. He also plans his day around a 'list' - he works from home, and has the freedom to do them in whatever order occurs to him, but he gets it almost always all done by the end of the day.

    He's usually, yeah, friendly and outgoing, but when he gets frustrated (usually with himself) he can be a little scary. And I have no doubt he'd have no problems with facing down an 'enemy'.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

    9w1 so/sx/sp

  7. #27
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    when he gets frustrated (usually with himself) he can be a little scary.
    The ESTJs I know don't often admit it's their fault. They use displacement and evasion a matrix agent would envy to place it somewhere else.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    When people commit to plans with you (especially if you planned it) and then decide last minute that they want to change them (ie go to a bar with you instead of dancing or something) do you get angry/upset/hurt? That's the biggest thing I've noticed with my two ESFJ friends. They both really like giving advice too, and take pride in giving good advice.
    OMG yes! Unless, it's at least partly MY idea that we should change the plans (if the dancing looks boring for example). If I plan something that people want to change, especially at the last minute, my feelings are usually very hurt.

    So I was just emailing this morning with my younger sister and I asked her about all of this. She's vaguely familiar with MBTI, but we discussed my personality 'in general.' Geez, my family thinks that I'm 'cooly-reserved, slightly detached on the outside but warms up when you get to know me, not obviously outgoing or introverted' She laughed when I read the P versus J traits 'it's obvious that you are a J' She also said that my mother has called me a 'wet-blanket!' I'm annoyed at that but my mother is probably an ISFP and doesn't have much common sense. I also disagree with the wet-blanket statement.

    Edit - the reason I'm exploring all of this is because I think I'm having a bit of a mid-life crisis! Turning 40 was hard and at the same time I found that the kids are getting older, we have a bit more money, etc. and now it's time for ME! I'm ready for some changes (planned changes! ha ha) and kind of reinventing myself or perhaps just being less of a caretaker for others and following my own desires.

    Question - I think I mentioned this in another thread, one of my big problems with working for myself is that I suck at self-promotion. I've only been is business for 1 1/2 years so how can I go out and tell the world that I'm the best decorator in the state? Maybe someone is better? Or if someone asks 'why should I hire you?' I never know what to say! I'm good at negotiating, and talking logically about my designs but pumping myself up - very hard. Does this mean I'm an Introvert?

  9. #29
    To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The ESTJs I know don't often admit it's their fault. They use displacement and evasion a matrix agent would envy to place it somewhere else.
    Oh, I disagree.

    Given, I only have one person to work off of, but I find when he's doing something (especially trying to fix something) and it isn't working out, he'll steadily get more and more frustrated with himself before he goes BOOM. He usually then goes away to vent and calm down on his own.

    But, hmm, now that I think on it, if it is an issue between people, he does get a little self-righteous and avoids responsibility. I remember on a recent holiday, he got a bit sulky (lol) because everyone was expecting him to make decisions and he wasn't comfortable with just making decisions on the fly. He eventually upped and left the room (venting), leaving the rest of us to work out a plan. He did calm down and come back, but definitely initially, yeah, he did avoid dealing with it. Although I tend to think that's also because he knows he doesn't deal with things well when he's angry, so he doesn't. *shrug* Does that sound about right? This was a little while ago, so my memory may be inventing things.

    Oh, and the impromptu nature of travelling stresses him a little, too.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

    9w1 so/sx/sp

  10. #30
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Okay that needs a vote immediately.

    All in favour of changing the user name to 'WetBlanket' say aye.


    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. I'm Confused about my Type
    By nickia in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
  2. Got any ideas about my type from this video?
    By kensi in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 02:04 AM
  3. [INFJ] Not Sure About my Type
    By jason_m in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 02:29 AM
  4. Lie about my type? Why not. (whatever's coming out celebration)
    By miss fortune in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM
  5. Theory About My Type
    By Ezra in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO