User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Speaking from experience with my INFP mom....yeah.

I never really thought that she might interpret that as 'wet-blanketness', though.
    I was speaking of my own experience.
    My ISTP husband ridicules my INFP sister's ideas because they "don't make sense".
    Thankfully, he doesn't do it to her face very much.

Her ideas never affected me that way because I'm rather idealistic also.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I second taking a look more at functions, it's how I know I'm INFP wrather than INFJ.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Could someone tell me what exactly is the Dichotomy way of looking at it. Is that when you just compare I versus E traits, S versu N, etc. ?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Could someone tell me what exactly is the Dichotomy way of looking at it. Is that when you just compare I versus E traits, S versu N, etc. ?
    Yes.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Honestly I think you should just try to learn more about the cognitive functions, and on that basis decide what your type is. You might not find a perfect match even based on cognitive functions, but I think you should be able to find a very decent one. It should be easier to find out if you are ISFP or INFP than if you are INFJ. Fi is a function quite easy to understand, while the dominant function of the INFJ, Ni, is probably the most difficult one to understand, so take your time when you try to understand it.

Dichotomy thinking is honestly useless, and personally I consider it past in my understanding of MBTI. I think back on my early MBTI days with dichotomy thinking, and can't help but feel my understanding was very shallow, and that I understand so much more now. It seems like you as well are discovering all the joys of function theory.
    You're probably right (though I have read opposing opinion) but whatever it may be, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
    I find the cognitive functions incredibly difficult to understand and I have never yet had a correct result from an online test.

MBTI
    ESTJ

See, now I think the INFJ and INFP descriptions in Do What You Are sound just like me too.

My mother - oy boy, we are very similar in many ways but I think she has little common sense. I made the statement about her type when I probably shouldn't have said anything and didn't know what I was talking about (brand new here). She dropped out of high-school after 9th grade, married well, is always depending on a new man. Today she called me to invite me to her third wedding on April 19th. Her divorce was just final in October, but she's been living with this man for a year. I tell ya, she's 64, but I'm much more mature. She has absolutely no foresight, lives day to day and for the moment. Drives me nuts but I love her.
    Sounds like every ENFP woman I have ever come across- except for probably CzeCze.

Sounds like every ENFP woman I have ever come across- except for probably CzeCze.
    Yikes - don't tell me that. I think my 15 year-old daughter is ENFP.

MBTI
    ESTJ

It would be funny if I was an ENTJ because that's the same type as my husband. He's very talkative, almost in an imposing sort of way, tells really dumb jokes, and is quite insensitive and clueless about nuturing relationships. He's got lots of good qualties but jeez, I just can't see myself as his type.
    HAHA, is your husband from New York? I've noticed some people who are not used to people from the big apple, don't get the "blunt, dry, direct" humor people tend to have there.

If ESFJ is a "life of the party" type then that's not a possibility! I'm friendly and love people but I'm reserved on the outside.

I wanted to add something to what I posted about last night and who knows if it's significant or not. But when it comes to dealing with people, I can and will get 'direct' with people if I have to - I have no fear of doing that IF they came to me with problems in the first place. However, I usually don't do that right away, what I do is ask people leading questions with the goal of getting them to clarify and solve their own issues.
    A lot of women are reserved on the outside- most have learned that schools/ universities/ workplace. It's not unusual and doesn't negate the possibility of being an ESFJ. But I've noticed another primary difference between SF women and NT women is that the latter is always told to "smile" more.

On a practical note - I have an important consultation this afternoon and I really want to sell this woman more services than I'm hired for today. Today it's a two hour color consultation, but she really needs a lot more to make her house wonderful. I'm whatever MBTI type has trouble with upselling.

You can throw it out and there and see if she's interested. You want to attract, not push.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I'm going to disagree with some of the other posters telling you to look at cognitive functions to determine your type. In my opinion, there's just too many holes in the theory to be a good indicator of your type is. It doesn't say how, for instance, an ISFP uses Si; or an INTJ uses Ti -- etc.

I have the best luck using Keirsey's approach of dividing the 16 types into four temperaments (SJ Guardian, SP Artisan, NT Rational, NF Idealist). It has the nice feature that it is more behavioral (focusing on communication styles, interaction, intelligence) and has the more holistic approach of emphasizing that a type is more than just the sum of the parts.

That said, from reading this thread you still strike me as some kind of SJ.

Anyway, good luck!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I'm going to disagree with some of the other posters telling you to look at cognitive functions to determine your type. In my opinion, there's just too many holes in the theory to be a good indicator of your type is. It doesn't say how, for instance, an ISFP uses Si; or an INTJ uses Ti -- etc.

I have the best luck using Keirsey's approach of dividing the 16 types into four temperaments (SJ Guardian, SP Artisan, NT Rational, NF Idealist). It has the nice feature that it is more behavioral (focusing on communication styles, interaction, intelligence) and has the more holistic approach of emphasizing that a type is more than just the sum of the parts.

That said, from reading this thread you still strike me as some kind of SJ.

Anyway, good luck!
    Well, using that logic, it is too many holes in all Jungian type theories for them to be useful. At least function theory hasn't been ridiculed by science, so far, like the dichotomy perspective has been. If you want a behaviourist approach, just use Big Five theory. Temperament theory is a bit separate from the dichotomy perspective, and I find it quite useful.