User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I edited my other post a little.

I realize that, but none of them are capturing my basic core essence. I think my age and the fact that I usually score close to center on several traits has something to do with my problem finding my MBTI 'home.'
    I agree.

The main thing about me is that I look at everything 'as it could be' not as it is and certainly not 'as it was.' What I'm really good at is looking at possibilites, looking at the present reality and building a bridge, or a plan to get from current reality to future goal. When I first came on the board and talked about this looking to the future, what can be stuff, I know Xander mentioned that this reminded him of his ENFJ sister, but I think it was overshadowed by my S-like interests, and down-to-earth style.

In terms of my plan - in most cases, I form my own plan to get there, in other cases I research and find out the 'best' way. I do this with everything - this is why I'm here at MBTI Central. I want to use MBTI theory to improve myself - be the best I can be, learn about myself and others around me - help me understand them better and therefore improve my relations. Maybe there are things about me that I don't know yet so I was hoping that this system might help? I love to explore self-help books - currently working on The Four Agreements and Coach Yourself to Success. I have a tendency to do this with everything. I'm doing OK financially - how can I do better? Do I need a plan, a system, a book, a website? My kids are getting B+s in school, how can they get A's? I know, I will take them to a tutor. My house is a mess, and I'm picky about my environment, but I'm not naturally organized so what do I do? Read 6 books about housecleaning, sign up for Flylady emails (none of which work but hey, I tried). My marriage is mediocre though hubby and I are soulmates, so now I'm posting on marriage websites because I need to fix it or at the very least understand our differences. I feel inadequate becasue I don't have enough interesting things to talk about so I thought 'I need to take up some new hobbies' so I'm now playing golf and skiing. So I'm always 'plugging holes.'

I'm also all about improvement of my external environment, actually all environments. When I see a space I immediately can see in my mind how it would look and more importantly how it would feel if I could only...move the furniture, paint, get new flooring, knock out a wall etc. When I pull up to some place I can't help to notice the gardening - "it would be nice if." THis is what I do for a living - I'm an Interior Designer.

That's a brief outline of my version of self-improvement.
    Okay. Let me qualify my next statement by saying, I'm totally at a loss. That description sounds just like an ENTP friend of mine!

If I am an IS-type then it has to be ISFP. It's the closest but it doesn't contain my CORE traits - the looking at possibilities, the 'what can be piece' that is so central to my being. Looked at ISTP recently and even if I look at the non-mechanical descriptions, it just doesn't resonate. ISFJ - nope. ISTJ- absolutely not.
    Quite a conundrum.

Yep - I'm the yet - undiscovered 17th type. Don't want to get into a long-sob story about my life, but looking back I had a weird upbringing, raised in a an alcoholic family that was full of conflict, unsupportive parents, etc. so who knows which things are inborn and what's learned.

Well, even if I can't find myself, I did find my kids and am enjoying the Nurture by Nature book.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

One suggestion is that you let the question of your best fit type rest for a while. Let your subconcious work and maybe after some time you'll figure out your type. Don't take too much pressure about it because it might make your search more difficult.

MBTI
    INTJ

Forced hubby to sit down with me today and go over all of it with me. It was torture for him (ENTJ with ADHD) but he knows me better than anyone else.

1) He laughed his ass off when I told him I thought I was Extraverted. He said something to the effect of 'just because you go out for lunch once a weak with your girlfriends and say hello to the cashiers at the grocery store in no way makes you Extraverted........ (roaring laughter)' Okie-dokie then.

2) Definately S - but I kind of knew that.

3) T vs F - a bit harder but he claims that I'm more F than T. I make decisions based on how I feel rather than cold hard logic. But he says I have a way of making my decisions SOUND completely rational and logical so I come across as T. I think he's right. I also think that my F might be somewhat weak.

4) He was so surprised that I hadn't figured this one out. J v P. He says I'm P but with enough J that I'm trying to improve my J skills and have to a large degree but I'm still P no matter how hard I try. Some examples he gave was when I moved from Canada to the US it took me about 5 years to close all my Canadian bank accounts, I'm still a Canadian citizen even though I've been here for 17 years - (just in case I want to move back). Despite this I have enough J to make me CARE about being organized and because I'm very picky about my surroundings I spent considerable time working on them. Yet details still can stress me out.

I've read some of the online versions of ISFP and the one at Bestfittype sounds JUST like me, though other ones like Typelogic aren't so accurate. However, I have the book Do What You Are and the chapter in there that describes this type is very accurate, so it's definately a possibility.

My husband said that the four most obvious characteristics about me are 'Talent in Visual-Spatial Skills' (can easily visualize in 3-D in my mind) and 'Fact-Finder Researcher' (I have extensive facts about things like plants that bloom in August stored on the computer) and 'More of a Consultant than Doer' (lose interest after the start-up phase) and 'Always looking out for Other's Best Interests' (give lots of good common-sense advice and support to people around me).

I think this makes a lot of sense but I'm not willing to declare it just yet! I guess what is stopping me is the whole Artisian image. Yes, I have STRONG visual-spatial skills, but I'm in no way a 'fine-artist.' The guy with the beret at mypersonality really freaks me out!
    I had never seen this before, or at least, I don't remember it.

Asking someone who knows you well is a good idea.

Don't let the Artisan title mess you up. I happen to think that's a mis-fitting label for that type anyway. It doesn't have to mean "fine art" in my opinion. My husband is an ISTP and nobody would think him an "artisan". He's only an artisan when it comes to using duct tape.

SP types are fun-loving. I knew an ISFP gal. She was highly intelligent, a great mom, liked working with her hands, was great at decorating her home. Her artistry included her hair and makeup. She had just the right touch for making herself beautiful.

I think you probably are ISFP based on what your husband said.

Could very well be. However it only very shallowly describes me.

I've started to wonder if I have completely been misunderstanding the S-trait. Why do I so strongly think that I'm an S? Because I take my 'posssibilities' from the environment not from some psychic power within. I observe things then draw conclusions FROM it or using it (and adding things from within)- I've always thought that was S. Recently I asked my husband who is an N - what exactly is your N? Are you getting messages from God himself? Intuition to me seems like it's like some magic power. He explained that he takes bits of information, things he's observing, even his feelings about things and then combines it all and takes it to the next level. That's exactly what I do and call it Sensing. Am I misunderstanding something?

A while back when I posted about the 8 functions, I mentioned that I'm strongest in Ni, Ti and Si. Now after reading this:

How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

I can safely say based on THAT that this is how it goes:

(in no particular order - haven't got that far yet)

The Yes's- Ni*, Fe*, Ti*, Ne
    The Maybe's - Si, Te
    The absolutely Nots - Te, Fi (if I force myself I can), Se (no stinking way)

I haven't always been so S-oriented in my interests either - I studied Political Psychology and Economics under the famed Dr. Paul Roazen (expert on Freud and political psychology) at York University for almost three years. But I took a break from it because I felt that while it was a strong interest, that my real talent was in helping others and that I needed to combine it with my strong visual-spatial skills. I'm starting to wonder if my S-interests have become part of my life due to being a SAHM for 16 years. Prior to that I was a member of Amnesty International and was a strong Libertarian (after being a strong Liberal) - what happened? Which is the real me? ha ha

When I was young I was extremely idealistic and was very strongly influenced by a teacher in HS who was very politically active and wanted to 'make a difference' in the world. He was a very active member of Amnesty International and the ACL. I was incredibly interested in this but when I came to college I found the professors to be only interested in the theories involved and not the humanitarian aspect which so strongly interested me. I don't think they gave a rats-ass that there was a famine in Africa and just prattled on about their theories. Yes, I found the theories interesting and I understand them perfectly well, but let's not just leave it at that. What are we going to do, how to we take the theories to the next level and DO SOMETHING? I remembered practically being ridiculed by prof. Roazen and others for daring to say 'so based on what you are telling us what do you think that as 20 year-olds here in Canada we can do to help?' He was like 'wtf?' It crushed my spirit to be honest. I realize now that my HS teacher was a strong feeler and most of my college profs were strong Ts (I think).

Edit - I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone else that I'm definately an N-type. I'm just exploring.

MBTI
    TiSe

It's kind of fun to introduce myself as a different type each week!

I'm pretty sure about the I (though I'm quite close to the middle, some tests measure me as E but I know that I'm more I), the S, and the P.

I think that some S types are quite tidy. My feeling is that many S's are quite sensitive and particular about their environment and want a certain harmony around them - and a big pile of laundry kind of spoils it!
    From the Composer-Producer description at bestfittype.com
    Probably I’m the happiest when things are just a little different everyday. I don’t want to commit to any particular way to be. I want to be able to be a lot of ways. In my mind, I am peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations, flowing easily between them all. Most people don’t understand there’s a lot going on inside. It’s always different, and if it’s not always different, it’s no fun.

I belive that ISFP is probably closest to the way I act NOW except I'm incredibly future-oriented and always looking at possibilities and changes/improvements. I'm also a bit more driven and don't mind leadership - as I've mentioned, I'd rather lead than follow. But it's CLOSE and perhaps that's all that matters.

Frankly, when I was young, I was different than I am now but a lot has happened to me over the years......not sure which is the real me - now or then?

Anyhow, I'll keep the ISFP and see if it leads to any truths about myself or at least some interesting insight.

MBTI
    INTJ

I belive that ISFP is probably closest to the way I act NOW except I'm incredibly future-oriented and always looking at possibilities and changes/improvements. I'm also a bit more driven and don't mind leadership - as I've mentioned, I'd rather lead than follow. But it's CLOSE and perhaps that's all that matters.

Frankly, when I was young, I was different than I am now but a lot has happened to me over the years......not sure which is the real me - now or then?

Anyhow, I'll keep the ISFP and see if it leads to any truths about myself or at least some interesting insight.
    When they say future oriented, they mean someone who's always thinking about years down the road and frankly, has difficulty living in the moment.

When they say future oriented, they mean someone who's always thinking about years down the road and frankly, has difficulty living in the moment.
    That's exactly how I am - completely focused on the future to the point of not being able to stop and smell the roses. But with age I'm forcing myself to.

MBTI
    INTJ

That's exactly how I am - completely focused on the future to the point of not being able to stop and smell the roses. But with age I'm forcing myself to.
    This statement is actually quite INFJ. You mentioned that you identify most with Ni, Fe and Ti, which are the first three functions of INFJs (ENFJ is a possibility as well, but INFJ fits a little better). You have both Fi and Se in the no group, the two first functions of the ISFP, which basically makes it impossible that you are ISFP. As an ISFP your dominant function is Fi, and is that possible? It also makes ISTP very unlikely, because you have Se in the no group, and if ISTP, your Se is your second strongest function. Then again though, you might have misunderstood the functions, and your impressions might be wrong. But if you believe in these impressions, INFJ sounds most likely.