• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I be ESFP?

Is Jeffster an ESFP?

• Total voters

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds like a contradiction but I guess according to some theories, it is possible. Some people say your "true self" can be blocked from coming out by certain factors. In my case, I have a father who squelched* all outward expressiveness in a lot of situations when I was a child. He didn't let me sing or tell stories in the car most of the time, for instance. Could I be I was trained to be introverted? But even if so, would it really last when I haven't been under my father's control for 20 years now?

Well, I was just wondering if it's social anxiety vs. preoccupation with your inner self. Extroverts can be shy, which means they may still need/desire that interaction more than an introvert, but they struggle in social interaction because of fears. Conversely, there are introverts with great social skills who are not shy, but they still prefer their own inner world to interaction.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jeffster said:
...In my case, I have a father who squelched* all outward expressiveness in a lot of situations when I was a child. He didn't let me sing or tell stories in the car most of the time, for instance. Could I be I was trained to be introverted? But even if so, would it really last when I haven't been under my father's control for 20 years now?

The Parable of the Circus Elephant:
When baby elephants were sold to/born into a circus, the handlers fitted an ankle cuff (think handcuff) onto one of the little pacyderm's legs. The baby elephant was then attached to a heavy post or other immovable object by a chain that locked onto the ankle cuff on one end, and the post on the other. No matter how hard the baby elephant tried to pull against the chain, he could not break it, and at some point the baby elephant resigns himself to the reality that if the cuff is attached and he is chained to a post, that he cannot walk freely, and he must just sit there and wait to be freed (learned helplessness).

Later in life, even when the baby elephant has matured into a mighty and strong adult, it baffles onlookers that the great animal can be bound to a wooden post with only a rope that is tied to its ankle. Despite the fact that the elephant could easily pull against the rope and break it, it does not, because all its life the only option it has known is to be bound, and not to resist, as doing so never resulted in freedom.
---------------------------------------------------

Cut the rope, Jeffster. Be a mighty pachyderm! :pumpyouup:

-Halla

R

Riva

Good point. I never know what to say to people at first, it usually takes a little time for me to open up. But I feel like I have improved in this area somewhat

As with any type an ISFP would learn how to improve on his weaknesses. Wouldn't you say it must be an idiot who cannot improve on his weaknesses if he wants to?

I am confident you're an Introvert. Give it another couple of years and you'll be as extroverted as a 10 year old ESFP.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As with any type an ISFP would learn how to improve on his weaknesses. Wouldn't you say it must be an idiot who cannot improve on his weaknesses if he wants to?

Wouldn't you say it's rude to label someone as an idiot, just because they didn't meet some arbitrary standard that exists in your mind, and that they do not measure their own progress against? Subjective value statements are rarely useful, and sometimes impolite.

I am confident you're an Introvert. Give it another couple of years and you'll be as extroverted as a 10 year old ESFP.

What a great pep talk; you should be a life coach.

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
I myself identify as an IXFX? Why? Because I feel that neither S nor N, nor J nor P, accounts for the way I process information fully. IXFX does. I understand that a lot of people like to stick with the four letters but I personally find it limiting. If you want to stay with one of the main types, go ahead, but you shouldn't feel that it's necessary to choose a preference if both are equally characteristic of you.

If you're unsure, this may also help: Extroversion and introversion - Wikisocion

Do you feel like you have more of a focus on objective characteristics and behaviors or on qualities generated by the interactions between those elements?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno. I think you're introverted, although not as much as I am. :p

Wanting attention doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with being introverted or extraverted. We all seek attention in one way or the other. The extravert is just slightly less concerned about how to get that attention, in general.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My perception is that you like attention way too much:

So, yeah, discuss me because I can't possibly get enough of that!
Most I's (all?) I know don't particularly like a lot of sustained attention.

But you'd be Se primary, so you'd have to really notice everything.

I also personally feel like anyone that frequents Vent on a regular basis, might be an extravert. Just sayin.......

D

Dali

I've been pretty much telling you that that was my perception of you from the first week i joined the forum all those many moons ago.

That said, its teh intrehnets. If you insist you're ISFP, I believe you. People's often express themselves differently (to various degrees) offline than they do online.

Online though, you come off as a flaming ESFP, brah. :D Also, consider your Ni-thread where it took you a bit of time to grasp what it was and the fact that you're in a Te-heavy profession (I remember you mentioning something in your blog regarding a management position in a fast-food franchise and the your JD sounded like a Te-dom's wet dream. :p). Keeps pointing to Se>Fi>Te>Ni rather than Fi>Se>Ni>Te...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
an introverted SP is supposed to find having a pure SP attitude a little more taxing than the extroverted SP.

According to who?

If you were going by functions you'd ignore sociability because Se isn't really about being skilled socially, it isn't about connecting and relating to people at all. Se might not be talkative and making heaps of friends all the time but it is definitely "out there" in the external world all the time. You seem to take a kind of pride in not approaching/considering things internally or what might be hidden (especially in regards to N stuff), i'd say that points more towards Se dom than Fi dom.

I consider things internally all the time. Not hidden stuff, you're right, but considering my actions, my priorities, my values. And when I take those "cognitive processes" tests, "Fi" almost always comes in with the highest score, with "Se" second.

Here are some ideas on why you seem to come across as extroverted on the forum... I remember when I posted a thread " How many variables do you take in at the super market aisle?" you said " You didn't make an option for zero". It is those sort of comments (and there have been a few) that make you come across as using Se. Also, your dislike of Ni is similar to an ISFP's dislike of Te. It seems you really take pride in not using any sort of intuition.

So, you're saying Fi considers "variables" in a supermarket? I'm not following this example, sorry.

Jeffster, with regard to being around crowds of people, socializing, etc.

(A) Are you energized by the experience?

OR

(B) Does it "drain" you, requiring to "re-charge" afterward?

Isn't that the penultimate distinction between E/I?

The answer is both. ;) But - I am more energized by a small audience of people than a large one. And in an online environment, where physically I am simply sitting in front of my computer and can log off of something anytime, I enjoy a "crowd" in the sense of several people that can be entertained by me at the same time, such as Ventrilo chats where I would stay up til 4am feeding off the energy of the responses I got from other people in chat. I would likely never do that at an in-person gathering, as I tend to do a lot more listening than talking in person and grow tired of the same environment much quicker.

That's why I think all the communication that is now possible with the internet complicates the traditional I/E view, as you kind of have people that would fit the traditional views of introvert in person, but seem to "come alive" in the right environment, which online communication makes possible much more often.

could be an Ambivert, and hence XSFP, like short'n'sweet. :yes:

See, shortnsweet tells many tales of social exploits I would never get involved in, I don't have much doubt that she's extroverted.

Internet extravert. :)

Yeah, kinda what I was saying above. We almost need new categories for today's age.

Well, I was just wondering if it's social anxiety vs. preoccupation with your inner self. Extroverts can be shy, which means they may still need/desire that interaction more than an introvert, but they struggle in social interaction because of fears. Conversely, there are introverts with great social skills who are not shy, but they still prefer their own inner world to interaction.

Hmmm. I think as a child and young adult, I would definitely say I had a "preoccupation with my inner self." But I think I matured and through life experience realized that was largely a waste of time. Not that it's a waste of time to evaluate your own principles or your actions to try to improve things, but not to be so occupied by it that you lose touch with the real world.

Cut the rope, Jeffster. Be a mighty pachyderm! :pumpyouup:

:laugh: I feel like that sometimes, but then my laziness takes over. ;)

I myself identify as an IXFX? Why? Because I feel that neither S nor N, nor J nor P, accounts for the way I process information fully. IXFX does. I understand that a lot of people like to stick with the four letters but I personally find it limiting. If you want to stay with one of the main types, go ahead, but you shouldn't feel that it's necessary to choose a preference if both are equally characteristic of you.

I agree with you about limiting. That's one of the reasons I prefer David Keirsey's temperament theory, because he talks about us all being capable of thinking, feeling, etc, but more naturally suited to certain "intelligent roles" and all possessing second, third, fourth, etc suits that we can still call on, just with more effort required.

re unsure, this may also help: Extroversion and introversion - Wikisocion

Do you feel like you have more of a focus on objective characteristics and behaviors or on qualities generated by the interactions between those elements?

The second one, definitely. And about 85-90 percent of the differences outlined in that link, I fit with the introvert side for sure.

My perception is that you like attention way too much:

Most I's (all?) I know don't particularly like a lot of sustained attention.

But you'd be Se primary, so you'd have to really notice everything.

I also personally feel like anyone that frequents Vent on a regular basis, might be an extravert. Just sayin.......

Heh. You mean the ones that actually talk or the people that log on and just sit there not saying anything? ;)

I've been pretty much telling you that that was my perception of you from the first week i joined the forum all those many moons ago.

Uhhh..who are you? :huh:

id, its teh intrehnets. If you insist you're ISFP, I believe you. People's often express themselves differently (to various degrees) offline than they do online.

Online though, you come off as a flaming ESFP, brah. :D Also, consider your Ni-thread where it took you a bit of time to grasp what it was and the fact that you're in a Te-heavy profession (I remember you mentioning something in your blog regarding a management position in a fast-food franchise and the your JD sounded like a Te-dom's wet dream. :p). Keeps pointing to Se>Fi>Te>Ni rather than Fi>Se>Ni>Te...

I don't think jobs are as linked to functions as you apparently do. And as always I hate the idea that people are assumed to have one set function order by type. Enough evidence to debunk that theory exists just from the people on this forum, much less all the billions of people in the world.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
According to who?

The voices in my head.

Basically all SPs share Se but Se is an extroverted function, it should require a little more effort for an introvert to use it than an extrovert.

Of course this depends on function orders and you don't like function orders so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :yes:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
So, what are you saying is the difference between my posts and yours? Do you think in advance about your posts? I think spontaneity is a general SP trait, maybe even a general P trait, it doesn't seem to be limited to extraverts.

With the caveat that I haven't been around much recently, wolfy and quinlan come across as much calmer than you on this forum. There's a sense that they've processed more internally before they post than you do. And no, I don't have any concrete evidence, it's just gut feel.

I think in a social sense you seem more extroverted than me. Based on your willingness to hitchhike all over and go to the gym regularly and stuff like that. I wouldn't ever do the hitchhiking thing because I'd be too nervous about what to say to someone, and the gym prospect is scary in several ways. In that personal trainer website program thing I talked about in the Exercise challenge thread, I deliberately picked the "at-home workout" one, not just because of the time/money involved, but also because of the prospect of having to talk to several people about stuff or have all these buff people around looking at a fat slob like me.

Social anxiety or shyness can make an extravert seem like an introvert. Not that that's necessarily the case for you, but introverts can be socially confident and fine with talking with people.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a distinct possibility, but only you know for sure.

D

Dali

Uhhh..who are you? :huh:

lol. I knew you'd ask this. I joined as OperaLover and my second incarnation was as Mo. Ring a bell?

I don't think jobs are as linked to functions as you apparently do. And as always I hate the idea that people are assumed to have one set function order by type. Enough evidence to debunk that theory exists just from the people on this forum, much less all the billions of people in the world.

Of course, but you do agree that certain types gravitate towards certain careers, don't you? Not to say that that locks out other types. Anyway, was just throwing that out there.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
20jgutj1.gif

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol. I knew you'd ask this. I joined as OperaLover and my second incarnation was as Mo. Ring a bell?

Mooooooooo! Sorry! Why did you change your name to Lohengrin?

Of course, but you do agree that certain types gravitate towards certain careers, don't you? Not to say that that locks out other types. Anyway, was just throwing that out there.

Absolutely. In my case, I gravitate toward a career of getting paid to eat cheeseburgers and watch football. For some reason, I haven't been able to find that job available yet, so I'm stuck doing paperwork. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice but I actually have a lot of flexibility and time to goof off. In fact, I've been goofing off way too much lately, I'm starting to get behind again! :blush:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually if this is really what you think the difference is (which is what you've been saying in the thread) that might explain some of your confusion.

"No, you idiot, you have no social skills, you're ISFP. "

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Based on the few IRL interactions, I'd say ISFP. I think you're sociable, and you lack reservation.. but I don't think these qualities alone make you E over I.

Mainly.. I look for social situations that *eventually* drain you. As if you have to recharge. Generally speaking, I don't see you extremely eager to do extroverted things, but I do see you willing and able.. So, for now, I'm sticking still with ISFP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no patience so just read op but i say...HELLL YEAAAHHHH!!

R

Riva

Wouldn't you say it's rude to label someone as an idiot, just because they didn't meet some arbitrary standard that exists in your mind, and that they do not measure their own progress against? Subjective value statements are rarely useful, and sometimes impolite.

What a great pep talk; you should be a life coach.

Wouldn't you say it's rude to label someone as an idiot, just because they didn't meet some arbitrary standard that exists in your mind, and that they do not measure their own progress against?

Gosh.... :shock:

Man that is not what I meant. I quoted something he said (go back and search for it, it is in this thread)

in which he says -

I have issues starting conversations with others.

To which I said something like -

It is highly unlikely an esfp would have the same issue since no one makes better conversations than an esfp.

To which he said something like -

I do not have that issue anymore. I am improving.

Then as a reply to that post I wrote that post (which you have qouted) -

Wouldn't you say it must be an idiot who cannot improve on his weaknesses if he wants to?

In this post I am trying to imply that it is normal to -

As with any type an ISFP would learn how to improve on his weaknesses

And if you cannot improve yourself and meet a certain criteria which you wish to accomplish it must be an idiot.

I was not callng him an idiot as you thought.

I was implying that he as an ISFP has improved on an issue (not able to start conversations) rather than he being an ESFP.

I am confident you're an Introvert. Give it another couple of years and you'll be as extroverted as a 10 year old ESFP

Extroverts as years go by start to slow down a bit and think more and vise versa.