Stereotypical differences according to readings:
(1) S = concrete (tangible facts) / N = abstract (possibilities)
(2) S = here and now / N = future oriented
Interesting adages heard from others:
(1) To determine if someone is S, N, or J; throw a Nerf ball at their head while they are sitting: (a) if they catch it, they are S, (b) if it hits them in the head, they are N, and (c) if it hits them in the head, and they get pissed, they ar J.
(2) NFs = always strive for things to be better and perfect, rarely staisfed, sometimes emotionally sensitive.
(3) NTs = always objective, find rational solutions to problems, aloof or "detached", and good at math/logic.
(1) Sensor/Thinkers emulate Rationals, especially if their S/N is balanced.
(2) STs and NTs have way more in common with each other than either do with NFs.
(3) Despite being a P, I am very orderly. I organize EVERYTHING. I know where EVERYTHING is in my house and office. So, I'll say P's with OCD easily emulate J's in alot of cases.
To mirror your response, my preference order would be...
ESTP >= ENTJ > ESTJ > ENTP
note1: Arrows are not mathematical operators...
note2: ESTP/ENTJ seem my default modes of operation, when things require even more formality I'll lock onto my ESTJ Dad's methods, and finally, in my own time when there is nothing on the line, but I am free to explore and dream up my future I go into ENTP mode.
Based on overall type descritpion...
Based on what modality I must operate in...
ESTP: Social default, happy, fun-loving rational and logical problem solver, efficient and egalitarian. Go where the action is, if there is none create it. Deal with conflict head-on, go for the jugular, but give opponents an out in order to allow them to save face and retreat in peace. +
ENTJ: Work default, identify the best course of action and defeat all other possibilities, maintain professional image, ensure processes are efficient, integrated, and re-usable. Deal with conflict head-on, go for the jugular, take no prisoners.
ESTJ: Secondary mode of work if part of a multi-vendor team in a hierarchical organization where I have little political pull. Get the job done, do it right, and don't let the small stuff interfere with the objective at hand. There is one right way. A purely brilliant finish can be foiled by one simple screw up, be anal and authoritarian to ensure compliance with methods of task completion.
ENTP: Secondary social mode of operation. Unconventional exuberant genius. Dream big, dream often to fuel capacity for improvisation. Rules are guidelines, work hard play hard. I got the rulebreaking renegade traits from my INTJ brother, ironically enough, he was a hellion.
8w7 + 8w9?
I'm definitely Ring 7 sx/so/sp, but I have a healthy smattering of 8 traits too. I don't identify with Ring 6 much at all. I've not a neurotic bone in my body.
What do you think of Ennegram Vs. MBTI or Socionics?
I know that the Enneagram Institute's "Enneathought of the Day" has been useful to me at times, as it often compels you to focus on something other than your default mode of thinking/living, and when I have made effort to do so, the exercise has resulted in a small amount of personal growth, simply by focusing on what is always there, but often does not register in my processing of life events.
I thought it silly for both to be used in the ESTP/ENTJ types. I would have simply used "confident" in both, but I did not write those descriptions. Essentially I think them to be the same. "Self" is extraneous as the context was a type description of a person, or a "self."