User Tag List

Default Help me figure out how I use my functions?

I'd love some help figuring out what function I introvert and what I extravert. I don't understand this part of the MBTI and can't for the life of me figure out how I use each function.

I was motivated to start this thread after starting another thread asking whether my thinking is extraverted: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum.../27406-te.html

Would really like some insight! Thanks!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Think of extroversion as breadth and introversion as depth. There are four functions (Sensing, Intuition, Thinking, Feeling), and each has some preference on the breadth vs. depth spectrum.

For example, when I use Thinking, I heavily favor depth, missing out on all sorts of environmental detail on the way. If I preferred extroversion of Thinking more, I'd pay more attention to each environmental detail at the cost of analyzing a few in depth. Te people think, "why make a conclusion if you're missing something?". Ti people think, "why distract myself with input when I still have a conclusion to make?".

Fe would be "how can I know if something's right without factoring in everything in the situation?".
    Fi would be "what do the details of this moment really have to do with what's RIGHT?".

Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Think of extroversion as breadth and introversion as depth. There are four functions (Sensing, Intuition, Thinking, Feeling), and each has some preference on the breadth vs. depth spectrum.

For example, when I use Thinking, I heavily favor depth, missing out on all sorts of environmental detail on the way. If I preferred extroversion of Thinking more, I'd pay more attention to each environmental detail at the cost of analyzing a few in depth. Te people think, "why make a conclusion if you're missing something?". Ti people think, "why distract myself with input when I still have a conclusion to make?".

Fe would be "how can I know if something's right without factoring in everything in the situation?".
    Fi would be "what do the details of this moment really have to do with what's RIGHT?".

Etc.
    Interesting...By your definition of Ti/Te, I'm Ti. I miss environmental details all the time. But I just assumed that's because I'm an iNtuiter. My bf is a Sensor and he notices environmental details, like for instance if we go to someone's house he'll notice the fact that there's a picture on the wall, that I never, ever notice. I'm too busy thinking about the feeling of the environment, wondering what the host's life is like, thinking about how I'd like to decorate my own home, etc.

I don't feel like I have to think through something in great depth to reach a conclusion, in that I won't do all sorts of research or spend hours mulling over an idea, but I do feel it's absolutely necessary that I figured out and name the key issue I'm pondering. So, if I'm thinking about a problem, whether it's my own or someone else's, I won't stop until I've "nailed" it.

Does this make sense?