• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introspective Introvert is What? >__>

MBTI Type
ENTP
how much do you know so far?
just in case:
Ni = introverted intuition
Ne = extroverted intuition
etc.

the question is, which do you use more often? a function will manifest very differently depending on introverted or extroverted attitude. Ni and Ne are the hardest to distinguish. try S.
full: X

sticker

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
For someone who has known about the MBTI for so long, there's still so much I don't understand. Is Ni-Se/Si-Ne based off of which one you prefer to function as? Could someone briefly explain this to me? Google isn't helping.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this helps, but have you read Lenore Thomson's 'Personality Type'?
Amazon.com: Personality Type (Jung on the Hudson Book Series) (9780877739876): Lenore Thomson: Books
Some other useful articles
Not Cognitive Processes
How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

I borrowed the book from a library and am currently halfway through it and liking what I'm reading so far.

Test wise, have you tried those that test you on your functions? (Not those test that lump Te and Ti together and so on to get their corresponding letter.) They aren't perfect but might show a difference in Si/Ne usage and Ni/Se usage.
Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Thanks, sticker. :D
My Results
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.1)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************** (15.6)
unused

I am not quite sure what this means, but they suggested I was INTP, ENTP, or ISTJ.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Results
limited use
excellent use
good use
good use
excellent use
excellent use
limited use
unused

I am not quite sure what this means, but they suggested I was INTP, ENTP, or ISTJ.

The only thing it seems to say is that you're a thinker. To become anywhere near certain of your type, you're going to need more information... self knowledge or MBTI knowledge, whichever you can get.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From your self description, you sound like an INTJ... but somehow the whole feel of your post doesn't seem very INTJ to me.

I don't know. I'm bad at typing people >_<

I agree with this. But I think it doesn't seem INTJ because of the enneagram. Have you looked into the enneagram instincts? You sounds like a social first in it, which would explain the caring about people and being sensitive to people part. Remember, MBTI is the way you think, enneagram is your motivations. Check out the sticky in the enneagram section for links about the instincts!

Also, for types I would look through this website here- Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type It's a very good source, and their type profiles are based on interviews. Their function descriptions are very simple and a good place to start. Check out 4temperaments.com -- Understanding Temperament Theory to identify your temperament too!

Good luck. I would type more, but I'm on a laptop without a mouse and it's really annoying to find links and copy and paste them. :p

VagrantFarce

Remember, MBTI is the way you think, enneagram is your motivations.

I'm not sure it's that clear-cut - they're both typological instruments, the authors just decided on two different sets of categories.

Fun little thought: is the Enneagram more Feeler-friendly than the functions? It's less mechanical and (like you say) more overtly about emotional motivation, so it would make sense.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure it's that clear-cut - they're both typological instruments, the authors just decided on two different sets of categories.

Fun little thought: is the Enneagram more Feeler-friendly than the functions? It's less mechanical and (like you say) more overtly about emotional motivation, so it would make sense.

Orrr it could help both since thinkers generally aren't that good with emotional motivations!

I just see the functions as ways of thinking, and it's strictly that. The things that people say come from how they think, so that's how you can tell type. The enneagram goes a bit deeper though, people's motives, WHY they do things and have certain behavior, etc.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
OP reminds of ISFJ's I know. Everything that was said matches.

VagrantFarce

Orrr it could help both since thinkers generally aren't that good with emotional motivations!

I just see the functions as ways of thinking, and it's strictly that. The things that people say come from how they think, so that's how you can tell type. The enneagram goes a bit deeper though, people's motives, WHY they do things and have certain behavior, etc.

OK, now I'm convinced it is. :)

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Ah, so much information! Thank you guys, so helpful!! :D

I will figure my enneagram type, temperament & understand the rest of these links I have here.

I think you're right BlackCat, my enneagram will probably help uncover the motives behind my personality.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, now I'm convinced it is. :)

Aw, I was hoping you would debate more. =\ You always make really good observations about things, and you are really good at synthesizing your thoughts on the theory into something that's easy to read and insightful. I love me some INTPs/LIIs. :D

/derail

Ah, so much information! Thank you guys, so helpful!!

I will figure my enneagram type, temperament & understand the rest of these links I have here.

I think you're right BlackCat, my enneagram will probably help uncover the motives behind my personality.

You're welcome! Keep us updated on your progress too. :)

VagrantFarce

Aw, I was hoping you would debate more. =\ You always make really good observations about things, and you are really good at synthesizing your thoughts on the theory into something that's easy to read and insightful. I love me some INTPs/LIIs. :D

/derail

[youtube=uXiU6kiq_Ms]It's left the tracks, but this train ain't stopping[/youtube]

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
[youtube=uXiU6kiq_Ms]It's left the tracks, but this train ain't stopping[/youtube]
This is the best thing I've ever seen, I can't stop watching it.

I can't believe they seriously put that in there! Too many amazing things at once. (ME2 and G&S)

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
I think you're an ENTP. Sensitivity and caring about people seems like your tertiary Fe which is probably very well developed. But still you value logic above it and that's auxiliary Ti. Ti and Fe are very close on ENTPs function list(Ti second and Fe third) so ENTPs can come across as feelers when you view them superficially from the outside. The fact that you're totally unsure about your type indicates P because a J is pushed to settle and conclude everything. A J would put lowercase letters but would have their type(like eNTJ or iNfJ).

ENTPs are said to be the most introverted of the extroverts so maybe you started to withdraw because science is more fun to you than boring people. I'm an ENTJ and I find more than half of the people I talk to boring so I just listen and wait for the first chance to get the hell out of there.

George Carlin is allegedly an ENTP(which I agree with) and you should see this: YouTube - George Carlin - People Are Fucking Boring

I hope I've been helpful.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Results
limited use
excellent use
good use
good use
excellent use
excellent use
limited use
unused

clear cut INTP from this...but your description sounded ISFJ in some parts. What sort of parents do you have? did you grow up in an NT surrounding?

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
I just wanted to thank you all again, you have been very helpful in my self-(re)discovery. It's weird realizing I'm a T (even that I could be a T) after thinking I was an F for half my life... suddenly I feel empowered, confident, and more myself.

Ace: I've considered that I might be an E before, although the ENTP description I've read doesn't quite fit a couple things, such as (from Personality Page):
"This ability to intuitively understand people and situations puts the ENTP at a distinct advantage in their lives. They generally understand things quickly and with great depth."

I do not understand people intuitively, and am usually a little oblivious to my surroundings. Not to specific things, but to people. (which made me think I was a TJ) It also takes me a little while to pick up on things, abstract or not.
However ENTP's are one of my favorite types, and that has helped me to understand a couple things, about them and myself. Also, I love George Carlin and could always relate to his "in-your-face" comedy.
I appreciate your input, Ace. I will continue to consider it for now.

Babylon Candle: After some convincing, my mom thinks I might be an INTP or INTJ. My mom & stepfather, who I grew up with, are ENFP and INTJ respectively. My dad, who I spend considerably less time with, is an INTP.
I grew up with NT values from the two father figures in my life, but have a little more trouble relating to my mom.
They favored intuition highly over sensing, and I still have trouble picking up on a lot of social norms. This has led me to consider if I was really an S in disguise for my childhood but being S simply "wasn't an option". I still doubt it though.
It depends on whether type is more nature or nurture. Either way would point to being an N, though.

BlackCat: You were right, I tested as a 1 for the Enneagram type, but was very close to being a 2. Now I just need to figure out what that means....
For my temperament, I took a short test. Rationalist was first, followed by a tie of Idealist and Traditionalist.

sticker

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It depends on whether type is more nature or nurture. Either way would point to being an N, though.
Exactly the same question that I posted some time ago. :O Both my parents are SJs so I was wondering, like you, if N "wasn't an option" for my case. Now I wonder what happens if I have parents like yours. :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
My Results
limited use
excellent use
good use
good use
excellent use
excellent use
limited use
unused

These tests are normally really inaccurate, but I'll analyse anyway.

I'd guess Ti or Te dominant. They are your top two and there is low scores for the matching inferior functions.

With Te you will have Si or Ni as auxiliary. Si Ne is clearly a better combination for auxiliary and tertiary than Ni Se. So ESTJ is best bet if Te dominant.

If Ti dominant you will have Ne or Se auxiliary. Ne Si is a far better choice from that than Se Ni, so INTP.

Does the ESTJ profile seem at all familiar?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I had an extremely strange childhood, but basically I grew up with my mom and stepfather, ENFP and INTJ. From a young age they were constantly talking about the MBTI. When I took it I came out as an INFP, and it became a fact. I am an INFP.

Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would be like to grow up in a "MBTI family."

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Exactly the same question that I posted some time ago. :O Both my parents are SJs so I was wondering, like you, if N "wasn't an option" for my case. Now I wonder what happens if I have parents like yours. :D
Hah! That is interesting. :cheese: Want to do a trade?

Does the ESTJ profile seem at all familiar?
Not at all. Does that make me INTP?
Being an INTP might explain why I confused myself for INFP/INTJ...

Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would be like to grow up in a "MBTI family."
It broke me brain.