User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: INFJ or INTJ?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boats and birds View Post
    I've been to that site before. Vicky Jo rubs me the wrong way. After watching the video at the bottom I wanted to pinch her. I like her husband, though.
    She rubs me the wrong way as well. It was the video & comments re: your extroverted functions which I thought might be useful.

    My Te rule of thumb is of course that women who wonder if they are thinkers or feelers are thinkers and that men who wonder if they are thinker or feelers are feelers

  2. #12
    Junior Member boats and birds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    My Te rule of thumb is of course that women who wonder if they are thinkers or feelers are thinkers and that men who wonder if they are thinker or feelers are feelers
    I think it's just confusing for me because even though I fit the INTJ profile better than INFJ, I still don't fit in with them like I think I should. A lot of the INTs I have met are super smart and I'm able to discuss things that I can't really talk about with other types. I'm drawn to intellectual people but it's almost intimidating because I'm used to being the smartest person in a room. I've always been the one to come up with new ways of thinking about things, and have been able to critique and debate well because of my logic and understanding.

    But I also don't fit in with INFJs because, although I'm an empathetic person, I don't put up with crap from people like a lot of them do and try to make excuses for people. I'm not nearly the "feeler" I once was. I can understand where people are coming from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going say that it's ok they acted a certain way. In fact, in most cases, I'm more likely to say it doesn't excuse the behavior. I value justice, but I am willing to take into consideration the situation the person was in.

    Can INTJs be empathetic?

  3. #13
    Senior Member thescientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boats and birds View Post
    I think it's just confusing for me because even though I fit the INTJ profile better than INFJ, I still don't fit in with them like I think I should. A lot of the INTs I have met are super smart and I'm able to discuss things that I can't really talk about with other types. I'm drawn to intellectual people but it's almost intimidating because I'm used to being the smartest person in a room. I've always been the one to come up with new ways of thinking about things, and have been able to critique and debate well because of my logic and understanding.
    How exactly do you think you're supposed to fit in better with INTJs? No INTJ is exactly the same as another INTJ.

    Just because it's intimidating to speak to highly intellectual people, doesn't mean it makes you less INTJ. I can relate, as throughout my younger years I was always the 'smart' one. As you expand your social circle and meet other intellectuals it can certainly be intimidating precisely because you're use to being the 'smart' one.

    I dunno...it seems pretty clear to me that you're INTJ.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boats and birds View Post
    I think it's just confusing for me because even though I fit the INTJ profile better than INFJ, I still don't fit in with them like I think I should. A lot of the INTs I have met are super smart and I'm able to discuss things that I can't really talk about with other types. I'm drawn to intellectual people but it's almost intimidating because I'm used to being the smartest person in a room. I've always been the one to come up with new ways of thinking about things, and have been able to critique and debate well because of my logic and understanding.

    But I also don't fit in with INFJs because, although I'm an empathetic person, I don't put up with crap from people like a lot of them do and try to make excuses for people. I'm not nearly the "feeler" I once was. I can understand where people are coming from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going say that it's ok they acted a certain way. In fact, in most cases, I'm more likely to say it doesn't excuse the behavior. I value justice, but I am willing to take into consideration the situation the person was in.

    Can INTJs be empathetic?
    What is the function you use to organize your reality? Fe or Te?

  5. #15
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Im trying to figure out if Im an INFJ (with high Ti) or INTJ (With high Fi).
    An INTJ with high Fi is just that, it's not a borderline INFJ (auxiliary function is Fe). Fe doesn't have a lot to do with empathy anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #16
    Junior Member boats and birds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thescientist View Post
    How exactly do you think you're supposed to fit in better with INTJs? No INTJ is exactly the same as another INTJ.
    It seems I should be smarter.

    But you're right, everyone is different. I shouldn't compare myself to others like that, but I can't really help it.

  7. #17
    Junior Member boats and birds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    What is the function you use to organize your reality? Fe or Te?
    Every cognitive function test I've taken shows I use Te the most. Fe is always near the bottom. For organizing my reality, I would say I use Te.

  8. #18
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boats and birds View Post
    Can INTJs be empathetic?
    Yes. In fact, you seem to be an INTJ.

  9. #19
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    First impression is INFJ.

    Would you say that this newfound reliance upon impersonal logic has made you more extroverted or more introverted than you used to be?

    Extremely introverted INTJs will often depend on Ni+Fi and neglect Te, which you could have been doing until recently. When Te kicks in and starts working, this kind of INTJ will find himself much more capable of extroverting and dealing with the external world naturally.

    On the other hand, you could be a more traditional INFJ using mostly Ni+Fe, who's recently discovered and built solid use of tertiary Ti. This explanation seems more likely to me.

    Another way of checking whether you use Te+Fi or Fe+Ti is to ask yourself: Between logic and ethics, which of the two seems to occur to you a priori; that is, regardless of any external conditions?

    If you have a sense of morality that is purely internal and that you know to be true regardless of what anyone else thinks, you're probably using Fi. Logic will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through objective and empirical measurement of what works and what doesn't (Te.)

    If, on the other hand, you have a sense of internal "natural logic" that you know to be correct regardless of what anyone else thinks or what is going on, you're probably using Ti. Ethics will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through considering the feelings and ethical ideas of others around you and determining which ones produce the best results (Fe.)

    By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock in function tests. They often give grossly inaccurate results due to mistakes in the phrasing of questions, and due to the unfortunate fact that they depend on self-report.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Fe doesn't have a lot to do with empathy anyway.
    This is grossly inaccurate.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #20
    Junior Member boats and birds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    First impression is INFJ.

    Would you say that this newfound reliance upon impersonal logic has made you more extroverted or more introverted than you used to be?

    Extremely introverted INTJs will often depend on Ni+Fi and neglect Te, which you could have been doing until recently. When Te kicks in and starts working, this kind of INTJ will find himself much more capable of extroverting and dealing with the external world naturally.
    This describes me so well. I hated conflict when I was younger and was too scared to share my true opinions with anyone, especially if they saw things differently. I kept myself to myself. I didn't let people see the "real me". But now that I've learned to put logic before emotion, I'm able to be more vocal. I'm more self-confident and not afraid to express what I'm thinking.

    On the other hand, you could be a more traditional INFJ using mostly Ni+Fe, who's recently discovered and built solid use of tertiary Ti. This explanation seems more likely to me.

    Another way of checking whether you use Te+Fi or Fe+Ti is to ask yourself: Between logic and ethics, which of the two seems to occur to you a priori; that is, regardless of any external conditions?

    If you have a sense of morality that is purely internal and that you know to be true regardless of what anyone else thinks, you're probably using Fi. Logic will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through objective and empirical measurement of what works and what doesn't (Te.)

    If, on the other hand, you have a sense of internal "natural logic" that you know to be correct regardless of what anyone else thinks or what is going on, you're probably using Ti. Ethics will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through considering the feelings and ethical ideas of others around you and determining which ones produce the best results (Fe.)
    I question everything, even my own morality. I know that I could very well be wrong about things and am open to suggestions. I can understand most all sides to an argument, but I will most likely pick the most logical approach and change my views to fit it. But there are some cases where I wouldn't necessarily choose the most logical approach. I think it depends on the situation for me, but more often than not, I'll change my views to fit the more logical one because I think it's important to be rational instead of relying on emotions to make decisions.



    By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock in function tests. They often give grossly inaccurate results due to mistakes in the phrasing of questions, and due to the unfortunate fact that they depend on self-report.
    Yea, I've found that the questions can be confusing. The results depend on how a person interprets the question, so they can obviously be inaccurate.

Similar Threads

  1. Plato: INFJ or INTJ
    By Blackwater in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
  2. INFJ? or INTJ? or INTP? or ISTP?
    By mwv6r in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
  3. INFJ or INTJ or something else?
    By Grace in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 06:58 PM
  4. INFJ or INTJ?!?!?!
    By timo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
  5. INFJ or INTJ
    By JustDave in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO