• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP/ENTP hybrid? possible?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Is it possible to be an INFP/ENTP hybrid... I don't know, maybe... some sort of ENTP/INFP dualism or something?

Okay, why this thread? I am in a rut... I have been trying to decide my true personality type because even though I can relate well with the profile of an INFP, but it seems like there is something missing... you know, that kind of weird phenomenon where you feel like you belong and yet you in some ways, you don't... like a baby chick stuck in a group of little ducklings... okay not a good analogy but well.

I relate to the INFP profile... and when I was talking about the missing part... after reading the ENTP profile... it fit! But the irony is that the traits in both profiles somewhat clashes with each other and thus leading to my apprehensive frustration as to whether this is it or not...

I heard the cognitive functions test was a better indicator of type and behaviour, rather than the preference test. And maybe the results could help in some way.

Function preferences:
1st: Ne,
2nd: Fi/Ti
3rd: Ni
4th: Fe
5th: Si/Te
6th: Se

Any insights?

Fecal McAngry

Is it possible to be an INFP/ENTP hybrid... I don't know, maybe... some sort of ENTP/INFP dualism or something?

Okay, why this thread? I am in a rut... I have been trying to decide my true personality type because even though I can relate well with the profile of an INFP, but it seems like there is something missing... you know, that kind of weird phenomenon where you feel like you belong and yet you in some ways, you don't... like a baby chick stuck in a group of little ducklings... okay not a good analogy but well.

I relate to the INFP profile... and when I was talking about the missing part... after reading the ENTP profile... it fit! But the irony is that the traits in both profiles somewhat clashes with each other and thus leading to my apprehensive frustration as to whether this is it or not...

I heard the cognitive functions test was a better indicator of type and behaviour, rather than the preference test. And maybe the results could help in some way.

Function preferences:

Any insights?
Almost certainly not possible. It is possible, if you are female, that you are an INTP.

What parts of said ENTP profile did you relate to?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yet another example of cognitive function tests providing confusing and inexplicable results.

Don't rely on typology tests, ever--they have a huge problem in that they depend on self-report. If you don't understand the functions well enough to tell which ones fit you best on your own, a test is not going to help you because accurate results depend on having a solid understanding of the functions in the first place.

I would go here and read up on the function attitudes and try to decide for yourself which ones fit you best. These ten-minute internet tests trivialize the concepts and don't provide any sort of consistent or accurate result.

On a side note, if Ne is truly your dominant function, you should be deciding between ENTP and ENFP, not INFP. In fact, if you find yourself stuck between the descriptions of ENTP and INFP, researching ENFP (Ne+Fi) seems like a good starting point.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
+1

Function tests have so much uncertainty that putting the functions in order is almost meaningless. Best you can do is know you might be much stronger in certain functions than others. eg. scoring zero on a function normally means it is not your dominant or auxiliary. Scoring full on a function would suggest it is maybe in your top 3 or somehow similar to them. But you need pretty big margins to call anything.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Almost certainly not possible. It is possible, if you are female, that you are an INTP.

What parts of said ENTP profile did you relate to?

I will look into that. Thanks! :)

On limitations and overcoming it… I use them as a tool for self-improvement. Hmm… how should I put this...? I do not like being ‘stagnant’ (mentally), I need progress in self and also progress within my friends. Progress in self is carried out by understanding my limitations and weaknesses and then trying to implement ‘solutions’ to fix them. When a life event presents opportunities to invoke a change in self (any aspects), I would grab that opportunity and let the event take its course and experience it… yeah all life events (small & big ones) are said to present opportunities, I seek for change and constant improvement.

As for friends … I want them to be also seeking for change too. People are like raw crystals to me, they have the potential to become beautiful and when it comes to friends, I want to witness their 'beauty'… but it gets frustrating when they don’t want to or tells me that they are fine as they are or they will get there eventually through life experiences (because the speed at which they are going is quite slow) EDIT: but the way I go about pointing their flaws is quite subtle and I do it in a roundabout manner.

... hmmm what info do you need?

Yet another example of cognitive function tests providing confusing and inexplicable results.

Don't rely on typology tests, ever--they have a huge problem in that they depend on self-report. If you don't understand the functions well enough to tell which ones fit you best on your own, a test is not going to help you because accurate results depend on having a solid understanding of the functions in the first place.

I would go here and read up on the function attitudes and try to decide for yourself which ones fit you best. These ten-minute internet tests trivialize the concepts and don't provide any sort of consistent or accurate result.

On a side note, if Ne is truly your dominant function, you should be deciding between ENTP and ENFP, not INFP. In fact, if you find yourself stuck between the descriptions of ENTP and INFP, researching ENFP (Ne+Fi) seems like a good starting point.

I am reading the website now, and woah that link is very useful! Thank you!

@ noigmn thanks for the insight on the test. :)

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I go by my first 2 scores on the test (Ne, Ti) to get my type (the third score is Se, which I will admit to posessing, but would, according to the dogmatic types, mean that I was typeless :boohoo:)

I'd check out ENTP and ENFP if your first two are Ne and Ti/Fi... and it wouldn't be uncommon to test high in the whole feeling thing if you were a female thinker- society doesn't WANT for you to think! :D

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can see it. A few claimed ENTPs appear very Feelerish at times to me. Fi mostly. They appear the most emotional of NTs, though their emotionality seems to be a blind spot, as most deny it even in the middle of a strong display of it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's possible, I am living proof.

Btw.: Everybody who says something aint possible, just has given up :)

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Function preferences:

Figuring out your type is a mystery, and what you're looking for are clues.

The best a personality type test or cognitive functions test can do is provide clues. They are self-tests and so the accuracy depends on the person taking them. The quality of the clues you end up with depends on how well you know yourself, or how honest you are with yourself.

Fortunately, even if your result is somewhat inconclusive or contradictory, it is very unlikely that your result is COMPLETELY off. There will still be some useful clues.

So, although nothing is conclusive here, you've provided some useful information.

Since I can't be certain about any of this, I'm going to talk about probabilities (based on the information you've given), and use the term "most likely" a lot.

First let's start with your cognitive functions test result.

Important question #1: Didn't it tell you what your type most likely is? If you can remember that, it would be very helpful.

You scored highest on Ne, so that is most likely your Dominant function.
It was a draw between Fi and Ti for the second function. If you combine that with the likelihood of your being Dominant Ne, you are most likely ENTP or ENFP. (Dom Ne+Sec Ti = ENTP ; Dom Ne+Sec Fi = ENFP)

The fact that the rest of your functions seem randomly ordered does NOT, in my opinion, make the result invalid. It is still an important clue in figuring out your type.

I think the fact that you scored higher on Fe than Te could also indicate that your Tertiary function is Fe, which would make you more likely an ENTP than ENFP---not conclusive of course, but it IS another clue.

On limitations and overcoming it… I use them as a tool for self-improvement. Hmm… how should I put this...? I do not like being ‘stagnant’ (mentally), I need progress in self and also progress within my friends. Progress in self is carried out by understanding my limitations and weaknesses and then trying to implement ‘solutions’ to fix them. When a life event presents opportunities to invoke a change in self (any aspects), I would grab that opportunity and let the event take its course and experience it… yeah all life events (small & big ones) are said to present opportunities, I seek for change and constant improvement.

As for friends … I want them to be also seeking for change too. People are like raw crystals to me, they have the potential to become beautiful and when it comes to friends, I want to witness their 'beauty'… but it gets frustrating when they don’t want to or tells me that they are fine as they are or they will get there eventually through life experiences (because the speed at which they are going is quite slow)

In the comments above you emphasized change and constant improvement (in self and others)a lot, a distaste for mental stagnation, and some impatience with the slow pace of others.

This does not mean you are Dom Ne per se (there could be a number of explanations for this), but it is at least consistent with Dom Ne, and certainly doesn't contradict it.

Dom Ne's constantly scan the environment for possibilities, potentialities, etc. and when they are ready to do something with the info they've gathered, become easily frustrated with the slow pace of others.

At this point, I think you are ENTP or ENFP.

I think the fact that you relate to the INFP profile so much is an important clue, as far as tipping the balance in the direction of ENFP, but I would still search it out more.

Important question #2:

Without thinking too hard about it, what's your gut instinct about whether you're Introvert or Extravert?
It may or may not be important in the long run, but it would be helpful for me to factor that in.

Important question#3:

If someone proposed a new rule, policy, procedure, or law, would your first thought be "Is there a good rationale behind it/Is it logical?" or "How will this effect people/How will they feel about it?".

I realize this may be a vague question.

Maybe both are equally important to you, but for the purposes of figuring out your type, try to think of which one would win out by even 1 point. Try to determine which one would be your FIRST thought.

Important question #4:

In your efforts to help people improve themselves, is your primary goal to help them become more COMPETENT/KNOWLEDGEABLE or HAPPY WITH THEMSELVES/PERSONALLY FULFILLED?

Again, both may be equally important to you, but try to think of which one is even SLIGHTLY more important.

I hope you find this post helpful.

It's been fun for me, and I look forward to your responses. :D

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Important question #4:

In your efforts to help people improve themselves, is your primary goal to help them become more COMPETENT/KNOWLEDGEABLE or HAPPY WITH THEMSELVES/PERSONALLY FULFILLED?

I'm not sure how indicative this question is.

I'm more interested in being competent/knowledgeable for MYSELF, because this leads to me feeling happy/fulfilled. I don't independently care how competent or knowledgeable anyone else is.

If someone I want good things for wants to be more competent or knowledgeable, I want them to be more competent or knowledgeable. If they want to travel to Jupiter, I want them to travel to Jupiter. If they want more courage, I want them to have more courage. If they want to cover themselves in fudge and stand in a parking lot, I want them to buy some fudge. And so on.

After thinking about it, a better version of that question might be where songofcalamity has more natural talent ... not intent. Are you naturally good at helping people gain competence or knowledge? Are you naturally good at helping people figure out how to be fulfilled and happy? If you're good at both, which are you better at?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not sure how indicative this question is.

I'm more interested in being competent/knowledgeable for MYSELF, because this leads to me feeling happy/fulfilled. I don't independently care how competent or knowledgeable anyone else is.

If someone I want good things for wants to be more competent or knowledgeable, I want them to be more competent or knowledgeable. If they want to travel to Jupiter, I want them to travel to Jupiter. If they want more courage, I want them to have more courage. If they want to cover themselves in fudge and stand in a parking lot, I want them to buy some fudge. And so on.

Yeah, I'm not sure how indicative it is either.

I'm sort of Intuitively Feeling my way toward helping Songofcalamity figuring his/her type, so its a process.

Also, it was not a generic T/F question, it was tailored specifically to what Songofcalamity reported about wanting to help people.

After thinking about it, a better version of that question might be where songofcalamity has more natural talent ... not intent. Are you naturally good at helping people gain competence or knowledge? Are you naturally good at helping people figure out how to be fulfilled and happy? If you're good at both, which are you better at?

I don't think type is determined by talent.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll stick to my own methods for now.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
You care only about your close friends, you disappear for months at time because socializing drains you... it's very clear that you're an introvert. Since you seem certain about the N and P traits, we've arrived at INxP.

Are you T or F, then? A lot of people think/imagine/feel that they're T because they want to be "calm/cool/collected/logical", because they've been brought up to think/feel that emotions are to be suppressed, because they've been told (or personally concluded) that we should make our decisions with our head, not our hearts.

I ask you though, what do you do when you're in an unconventional scenario? If you're hypothetically stranded and there's a fork in the road? When you're in a crisis scenario and everything around you is falling apart and you can't be completely certain of what is going on- do you strive to make sense of it or do you go with what feels right?

(I'm not trying to claim that this is necessarily an accurate way to determine T/F dominance, but I think it's important to lead people away from thinking "I'm a logical intelligent person so I must be a T" or "feelings are unreliable, I can't possibly be an F")

If you asked me to give you a gut impression from your online persona on these forums, I would say you're an F. Embrace it! (But also, don't take my word for it. Continue to question yourself and refine your sense of identity.)

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
You care only about your close friends, you disappear for months at time because socializing drains you...

Wait--that's important info.

Where did Songofcalamity say that? In another thread?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Important question #1: Didn't it tell you what your type most likely is? If you can remember that, it would be very helpful.

It gave me INTP, and another alternative, INFP.

I think the fact that you relate to the INFP profile so much is an important clue, as far as tipping the balance in the direction of ENFP, but I would still search it out more.

Well, when I was 13, I took the MBTI test and my result was INFP. Then, I identified 'fully' (not sure to what extent, I remembered being awed at their description) and ever since, I still kind of identified with INFP. I think it’s a core inside and I am proud of being an INFP, but now I relate to it in a semi-detached perspective or maybe me relating to it in that way am because the INFP profiles tend to make INFP look like a puddle of gooey mess. <_<

Important question #2:

Without thinking too hard about it, what's your gut instinct about whether you're Introvert or Extravert?
It may or may not be important in the long run, but it would be helpful for me to factor that in.

gut goes with Introvert. I mean I can extravert and all (even when I am not with close friends but with acquaintances and friends), it comes quite easily actually. But yeah socializing drains me (although I was exaggerating about the part of having to recede for months :p) say if I go out 5 days straight with friends/close pals/acquaintances, I have to stay at home for a day before I can do another 5 days straight or something like that.

Do you know if there is a topic on Introversion/Extroversion being a nature/nurtured? I think I could read up on that because I grew up in an Introverted family.

Important question#3:

If someone proposed a new rule, policy, procedure, or law, would your first thought be "Is there a good rationale behind it/Is it logical?" or "How will this effect people/How will they feel about it?".

I realize this may be a vague question.

Maybe both are equally important to you, but for the purposes of figuring out your type, try to think of which one would win out by even 1 point. Try to determine which one would be your FIRST thought.

Wait, I need to think of a scenario first, before I can know my reaction.

The first thing that comes to my mind is usually on how the rule would affect me (if I am being affected) like maybe what I would have to do now after this rule is implemented. Ok, not answering to your question. I don’t really think of how others would feel though unless my friends whine/complain about the new rule. Yeah, first thought is how it affects me; the second thought would be ‘why implement this?’

Important question #4:

Again, both may be equally important to you, but try to think of which one is even SLIGHTLY more important.

Intent: I see what they want actually or if they aren’t aware of what they want to improve themselves, I would help them to become happier with themselves. Because when you are happy with yourself, then you would pursue knowledge. Something to do with confidence of oneself and the confidence would lead to other multiple things.

Natural talent: Hmm… helping people to be happy is frustrating, because people are so fickle, it drives me crazy. But I think I help ppl to be happy more than I help ppl to gain knowledge though. Eh natural talent… hmm… what do you mean by natural talent, an instinct or something that comes more naturally and easily?

Helping people to be more competent comes easier, but based on instincts, I tend to do the happy thing.

I ask you though, what do you do when you're in an unconventional scenario? If you're hypothetically stranded and there's a fork in the road? When you're in a crisis scenario and everything around you is falling apart and you can't be completely certain of what is going on- do you strive to make sense of it or do you go with what feels right?

If you asked me to give you a gut impression from your online persona on these forums, I would say you're an F. Embrace it! (But also, don't take my word for it. Continue to question yourself and refine your sense of identity.)

Since there is not much sense and not much certainty left in the situation anymore, I would go with what feels right. Oh, I will keep your insight in mind.

I hope you find this post helpful.

It's been fun for me, and I look forward to your responses.
It's mutual. :D

It's possible, I am living proof.
Could you share your experiences? :) Thanks.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first thing that comes to my mind is usually on how the rule would affect me (if I am being affected) like maybe what I would have to do now after this rule is implemented. Ok, not answering to your question. I don’t really think of how others would feel though unless my friends whine/complain about the new rule. Yeah, first thought is how it affects me; the second thought would be ‘why implement this?’
That's definitely on the T side. I can identify with this, and it was my answer when I thought on the question.
I had a bit of a problem awhile ago, because some interpretations associate stuff like "selfishness" with Fi (an "evaluation of what is personally important"), but we are all creatures with a survival instinct, and to start with thinking about how something like a rule affects one's self actually leans towards T. In fact, Ti definitions include stuff like "analyzing according to measures such as comfort". It is an impersonal, "true or false" (not "good or bad") evaluation, that focuses on things more than people. F would likely put others first.
So when asking how it affects you, what naturally will come up is a question or assessment of how logical it is or how much it "makes sense"; particularly if it affects you negatively (like disrupts your comfort).

Intent: I see what they want actually or if they aren’t aware of what they want to improve themselves, I would help them to become happier with themselves. Because when you are happy with yourself, then you would pursue knowledge. Something to do with confidence of oneself and the confidence would lead to other multiple things.

Natural talent: Hmm… helping people to be happy is frustrating, because people are so fickle, it drives me crazy. But I think I help ppl to be happy more than I help ppl to gain knowledge though. Eh natural talent… hmm… what do you mean by natural talent, an instinct or something that comes more naturally and easily?
The bolded part is also definitely T. In the first part, the "happiness" is clearly supporting a deeper goal of knowledge.
Helping people to be more competent comes easier, but based on instincts, I tend to do the happy thing.
Most people will do both in such polarities like that. Wanting others to be happy is something most humans will instinctively favor, as the happier others are, the better the environment you find yourself in. But it's what's really the ego's main goal that determines the true preference.
And if you're really ENTP, then you would have tertiary Fe, which would also seek the happiness and comfort of others. But it would still take a back seat to Thinking, and this is what we seem to see here.

Since there is not much sense and not much certainty left in the situation anymore, I would go with what feels right.
That too sounds like Feeling is coming up when Thinking can't solve the problem. This is how the function preference works.

Function preferences:
Ne could come up as stronger, as it did for me. It could be the relative tie between Ti and Fi that sort of gives Ne the edge. It is more definite (and consciously recognized; and especially since it is extraverted) than the others.
I think the fact that you scored higher on Fe than Te could also indicate that your Tertiary function is Fe, which would make you more likely an ENTP than ENFP---not conclusive of course, but it IS another clue.
However, Fe higher than Te does not necessarily mean which is primary and which is shadow. In many of these test results, the tertiary and inferior are on the bottom, and the other four in the middle. (And we see, Si is down there, way below Ni, too). This is one reason many prefer Lenore Thomson's model (the one in the earlier link), because she stacks them more like that. The familiar stack of 1-8 is really more about particular roles they play in the ego.
Still, the tertiary and inferior don't have to be weakest. So we just focus on the first two, and then use the examples provided to try to sort out the tied ones. Sorting out I/E will actually be harder, and it was the "ego role" method that actually did it for me, but not everyone agrees with that.