• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Say What?!?!

P

Phantonym

but you still respond with something close enough that actually makes sense and that is a sure sign of N

Ok, I can accept that.

Not taking the functions into account at the moment (*sigh. waits for the function "gurus"*), the N/S divide was my primary concern when I first got interested in MBTI. And it still causes me to wonder at times. The first test I took gave me INFJ but when I read about the descriptions about S and N, I could easily see myself falling to either side. And my test results (yes, I know, unreliable) indicate some 60-40 N-S.

I usually believe that I do tend to lean to the N side. I base that on my own personal observations between myself and people who are the closest to me, not only on the descriptions of the differences between N and S. As I did grow up in a strongly SJ environment, I did feel considerably "different" when I expressed my thoughts and ideas and all I got was the glazed look.

R

Riva

Not being that nice or huggy all the time, not being so attached to friends can be applied to anybody at any given time. I don't see them as type related.

Ah, well, never mind.

Gosh woman.

Okay let me put it this way.

You are not so attached (Fi) even to your friends. And you call them acquaintances not friends. A friend for a Fi dom or Fi user (even xNTJs) are like a part of their soul. So you don't seem like a xNFP. or xxTJ. Which rules out 6 types.

But you seem warm and friendly and projects a lot of Fe. But not the same way an ExFJ uses Fe. Nor the same way an XNTP uses Fe (for fun ;) ) :whistling:

That leaves IxFJs.

As I did grow up in a strongly SJ environment, I did feel considerably "different" when I expressed my thoughts and ideas and all I got was the glazed look.

You seem to have a little amount of Si. And seem to have quite a lot of Ni. Well even xSTPs have Ni. But you seem to have Ni preference than Se.

So that leaves you with??

P

Phantonym

Perhaps you are biased towards INFJ and consequently try to fit your form into the mold. ;P

Or maybe that's just me. *snigger*

I've thought about that. I don't fit any mold. I wouldn't have this issue if I could fit into any other mold out there. But I don't. Why I mentioned that I doubt between INFJ, INFP and ISFJ is because when reading the descriptions, I could easily see large chunks of them that are applicable to me but not quite.

It's the "not quite" part that bothers me occasionally when I start to doubt my type again. Why I have decided to identify myself as an INFJ is because I "feel" (I know, you can laugh now) that I'm not S enough to be ISFJ and I'm not P enough to be INFP.

Heck, even all the function descriptions apply to me, some more, some less. But I can't, seriously, believe me, I've tried, to determine what is dominant and so on. Sure, the "gurus" can say now that I simply don't have enough knowledge.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Not being that nice or huggy all the time, not being so attached to friends can be applied to anybody at any given time. I don't see them as type related.

I haven't interacted with you personally so I can't really offer an opinion but I just wanted to correct you on this one... I really think that INFPs are typically more attached to friends or just people in general than INFJs. I'd say that striving to make strong bonds with people is fairly natural for INFPs. I know an INFP with strong Ti who doesn't really want to be "best friends" with anyone (the result of being very detached from her classmates for all her childhood), but she still has quite a few friends now and it's clear she really cares for all of them, even if she doesn't show it too openly. Overall, I think that being kind of detached is more of a Ni or Ti + Fe thing than Fi thing, and it's not typical for INFPs. I've also observed that INFJs often seem very gentle and "nice" on forums but sort of cold in reality, whereas INFPs often appear quite analytical and serious on forums but pretty warm in real life. Obviously it's not a rule but perhaps it's sort of a trend.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
go away from mbti for like a month or two
then do a few things that would appeal to Ni-dominant or INFJ
and maybe few things that would appeal to Si-dominant or ISFJ

whichever one gives you more pleasure is what you are.

i recommend that cuz i did that.

everyone around me hates theoretical stuff. i thought i did too although i wasnt sure. then i left this site so i wont be constantly analyzing myself. then after a week or so (when my head had a chance to settle down and not think in terms of mbti), i watched videos of theoretical physics and other mad scientist stuff (supposed to be appealing to ENTPs)...and oh man, it was awesome...havent felt like this since i was a kid making small discoveries about the everyday world...it was then i knew for sure that i was an ENTP though my preferences swung towards ESTP and ENFP and INTP and ENTJ from time to time

i love being reckless and driving close to the edge and bungee jumping and sky-diving and scuba diving. main difference between ENTP and ESTP is that i (entp) do that stuff for the skill and stay for the thrill (partly, more for skill) whereas most estp's would go for the thrill and love it so much that they would stay for the skill

R

Riva

I haven't interacted with you personally so I can't really offer an opinion but I just wanted to correct you on this one... I really think that INFPs are typically more attached to friends or just people in general than INFJs. I'd say that striving to make strong bonds with people is fairly natural for INFPs. I know an INFP with strong Ti who doesn't really want to be "best friends" with anyone (the result of being very detached from her classmates for all her childhood), but she still has quite a few friends now and it's clear she really cares for all of them, even if she doesn't show it too openly. Overall, I think that being kind of detached is more of a Ni or Ti + Fe thing than Fi thing, and it's not typical for INFPs. I've also observed that INFJs often seem very gentle and "nice" on forums but sort of cold in reality, whereas INFPs often appear quite analytical and serious on forums but pretty warm in real life. Obviously it's not a rule but perhaps it's sort of a trend.

Hey????????

I said the same thing.

P

Phantonym

Thank you for your input, your opinion is certainly valued. :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not down to Earth. :thinking: Oh? Ok. :D Mental note: must stalk Giggly.

I think what he means is "practical-sounding" or speaking in a functional kind of way as opposed to an imaginative kind of way. But I could be wrong.

I vote INFJ for you too.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I'm not sure if this is relevant at all to you, but I remember reading in some thread about instinctual variants (yours was.. sp/so? Or something like that?) and I think that might at least explain your confusion with the S/N as sp might influence on how you see yourself as practical, (S trait?, hence why you'd confuse with the ISFJ?) the down-to-earthness and "functioning" in the world in the lack of a better word? And the influence from your parents?

But you seem like an enneagram 4 but your instinctual variant (if it is what I remember it is) gives it a very interesting spin however. You kinda seem like a person who has no difficulty getting along with anyone, but I can also see what you've mentioned about the forums / irl thing.

But I can also relate, I still wonder if I'm using Ni at all either actually. I'm also thinking where's the proof, I don't acknowledge using it and it's confusing to read all these threads where people are explaining their dom N's in use and how it works. I couldn't explain how it works, I can't "see" it working. It comes either so naturally I don't notice or it doesn't exist at all.

I didn't mean to confuse you even more but I almost said you seem like an INFJ (and sorry, I know that wasn't even what you were looking for :D) but then I realised at the end of my writing I have no idea if I'm even one. *shrug*
But I think... A good indicator might be your interests. For example you're here, and you seemingly have no difficulty in grasping what the N's are talking about.

... Uhm, but if that leaves with the other type you were wondering, INFP, one question: When you're dealing with people and everyone's a distracted P and nothing's happening even when it should, do you feel the need to suggest something in order to move forward? And not in the manner of "Peanuts are good" (and when the other one still doesn't get it, continue with "Are you hungry?", "Did you see that peanut ad? Just tell me if you get hungry") (sorry about the bad illustration btw) but more like "Would you like to go and buy some peanuts?" When in doubt, this is the easiest way to tell INFxs apart. :D

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
*takes a deep breath* yeah I think you dear are over-analyzing it, just like the rest of us.

P

Phantonym

I'm not sure if this is relevant at all to you, but I remember reading in some thread about instinctual variants (yours was.. sp/so? Or something like that?) and I think that might at least explain your confusion with the S/N as sp might influence on how you see yourself as practical, (S trait?, hence why you'd confuse with the ISFJ?) the down-to-earthness and "functioning" in the world in the lack of a better word? And the influence from your parents?

But you seem like an enneagram 4 but your instinctual variant (if it is what I remember it is) gives it a very interesting spin however. You kinda seem like a person who has no difficulty getting along with anyone, but I can also see what you've mentioned about the forums / irl thing.

Yes, I "think" I am an E 4w5 sp/so/sx. Thanks, that's a great idea. Must look more into that.

I couldn't explain how it works, I can't "see" it working. It comes either so naturally I don't notice or it doesn't exist at all.

Yes, exactly! I feel it working but all that goes up in the air when I try to put it into words. "It" :laugh:

... Uhm, but if that leaves with the other type you were wondering, INFP, one question: When you're dealing with people and everyone's a distracted P and nothing's happening even when it should, do you feel the need to suggest something in order to move forward? And not in the manner of "Peanuts are good" (and when the other one still doesn't get it, continue with "Are you hungry?", "Did you see that peanut ad? Just tell me if you get hungry") (sorry about the bad illustration btw) but more like "Would you like to go and buy some peanuts?" When in doubt, this is the easiest way to tell INFxs apart. :D

Ha. Yes! I started thinking about how I am with group assignments or just hanging around with a group of people and then I realized that I'm the one who's constantly cracking the whip. I need a plan, course of action, something to work towards and then I egg people on. I have no problems with taking the leadership position when I see that things are not moving fast enough.

You're just another WTFJ.

Well, that covers FJ at least. :coffee:

*takes a deep breath* yeah I think you dear are over-analyzing it, just like the rest of us.

Yes, you are correct. The day I made this thread happened to be one of those nice brain explosion days again. :laugh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a somewhat close friend who is an INFJ, and you remind me of her so much that it's uncanny. It's hard to keep yourself under one type when these categories seem to be so leinient, one INFJ will be totally different from another, every person is different. This is especially so with the enneagram, you have to fall into one type or another... and there are only 9 types that seem really far apart. It might just be that some of the qualities of the types are exagurated such that you'll remember them well.