• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really INFP?

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Well, I am new here in this forums (see my introduction thread) and I did probably not invest enough time yet into this MBTI stuff, but I find it very interesting and would like to learn more about it.

What I started with is getting to know my own personality type. Actually all the tests I made in the last days give me the same result: INFP. However I am not really sure whether it fits completely to me.

I was surprised to see so many people here in this board and many of you seem to be already good enough to try to analyze other people on their type. I would be happy if you could help me find my personality type too :)

However, I am not completely sure what kind of informations you could need all. I thought it would be a good start when I give you the result I got from a test I found here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...2-functions-analysis-what-s-my-mbti-type.html

Code:
Cognitive Process	Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) 	**************  (14.7)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) 	*************  (13.5)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) 	****************************************************  (52.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) 	*************************************  (37.4)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) 	*************************  (25)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) 	*************************  (25.2)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) 	*************************  (25.9)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) 	*********************************************  (45.1)
excellent use

[...]

Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Theorist; then Improviser; and lastly, Stabilizer.

I always thought in the past of me of being more a Thinker than a Feeler. That is probably because of a quite stereotypical thought of "Thinker" first. I think very much for myself, had always the reputation of being an intellectual and intelligent person, because I am mostly extremely reserved and also shy, people don't know much about what is going on in me (though there were few persons which seemed to understand me, thinking especially of one person) and I really did many things at school with ease.

I never had to learn much for school and now I am starting my studying. My school grades were not bad, though they could have been better - reason being I got my grades mostly because of the written tests and exams, I never actively wanted to take part by speaking in class, however when teachers just took me, I could say something and my oral exams went excellent.

I think I am a very introverted person, I have already written in introduction thread:

I am very calm, need my own space, have big trouble going on to other persons (taking first step), in conversations I am taking a more passive role, I am very reserved to people that I am not very close too, however, with people that I am more close to I am a bit more conversational, though still then I have big problems to express my inner feels. At the moment I am quite isolated after I left school and started studying a few months ago, having lost touch to most school mates (and that left I have only a bit contact, I wish it was more), not having found new friends so far at university - I am not really happy with it.

So it seems to me I fit to INFP mostly. And while I feel strong for justice, symphatisize with the weakers strongly, avoid conflicts and wish about a harmonic society, I actually am not very good in noticing other persons thinking. I often don't know how people feel and how they think often. Also I feel very unsure how people think about me personally. That is probably a reason why I am able to get along with most people, but have problems to really trust people and establish relationships. When I read in INFP profiles they seem to be able to be more emphatisizing and understanding other persons feelings.

Does this something mean? Or is it just being the cause of a very inferior Sensing ability? Or am I just overrating it and it is relative normal?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I am new here in this forums (see my introduction thread) and I did probably not invest enough time yet into this MBTI stuff, but I find it very interesting and would like to learn more about it.

What I started with is getting to know my own personality type. Actually all the tests I made in the last days give me the same result: INFP. However I am not really sure whether it fits completely to me.

I was surprised to see so many people here in this board and many of you seem to be already good enough to try to analyze other people on their type. I would be happy if you could help me find my personality type too :)

However, I am not completely sure what kind of informations you could need all. I thought it would be a good start when I give you the result I got from a test I found here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...2-functions-analysis-what-s-my-mbti-type.html

Code:
Cognitive Process	Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) 	**************  (14.7)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) 	*************  (13.5)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) 	****************************************************  (52.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) 	*************************************  (37.4)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) 	*************************  (25)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) 	*************************  (25.2)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) 	*************************  (25.9)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) 	*********************************************  (45.1)
excellent use

[...]

Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Theorist; then Improviser; and lastly, Stabilizer.

I always thought in the past of me of being more a Thinker than a Feeler. That is probably because of a quite stereotypical thought of "Thinker" first. I think very much for myself, had always the reputation of being an intellectual and intelligent person, because I am mostly extremely reserved and also shy, people don't know much about what is going on in me (though there were few persons which seemed to understand me, thinking especially of one person) and I really did many things at school with ease.

I never had to learn much for school and now I am starting my studying. My school grades were not bad, though they could have been better - reason being I got my grades mostly because of the written tests and exams, I never actively wanted to take part by speaking in class, however when teachers just took me, I could say something and my oral exams went excellent.

I think I am a very introverted person, I have already written in introduction thread:

So it seems to me I fit to INFP mostly. And while I feel strong for justice, symphatisize with the weakers strongly, avoid conflicts and wish about a harmonic society, I actually am not very good in noticing other persons thinking. I often don't know how people feel and how they think often. Also I feel very unsure how people think about me personally. That is probably a reason why I am able to get along with most people, but have problems to really trust people and establish relationships. When I read in INFP profiles they seem to be able to be more emphatisizing and understanding other persons feelings.

Does this something mean? Or is it just being the cause of a very inferior Sensing ability? Or am I just overrating it and it is relative normal?

First off, don't confuse being a T type with being smart. MBTI is about the way you think, not how well you think. It is possible for two people to share the same type and one to be a gebius and the other a moron.

To be honest with you, I don't trust the tests that are available online, so I'm not terribly interested in the results they give out. To get an idea of your type, I'd need to know more about you - what you do, and more importantly why you do it. Tell me about your hobbies. What do you do for fun? What did you enjoy at school? These things can be used to get a grip on your personaility.

P

Phantonym

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay here. :) Test scores are not that reliable, they have more of a guiding role so that you can start doing some reading on your own to get to know how things work. It's a great start that has brought you here. And we're happy to help you but in the end, only you can decide what fits you. :)

I'm sure you are aware of this but I'm still going to say it anyway. Academic achievement or being an intellectual has nothing to do with being a thinker or a feeler. Neither is feeling all about reading people and empathizing with them on a supernatural level. One does not exclude the other. It's not as simple that thinkers think and feelers feel and that's all there is to it. And you know this, I'm sure.

To start with. Do you have doubts only about the T/F dichotomy? Or are you only fairly certain about being an Introvert and other dichotomies are "negotiable"?

Basically, T and F show a preference on how you make decisions. Are you either objective, make decisions by looking at facts, judge people based on logic (T) or are you subjective, make decisions based on values, principles, judge people based on feelings (F)? This is all very simplistic and basic but you'll get the idea.

Based on your intro thread and what you've written here, all I can say at this point is that you're most probably an introvert. And that is something you've figured out yourself. Yay! Way to go. That's one down. :)

To start helping you with typing yourself, you need to tell us a bit more detailed things about how you think, communicate, where your focus lies. Take a look at some of the other threads in the "What's my type?" forum and what others have written about themselves and what people have responded to them. It might help you with getting some things clear for yourself. Happy reading and discovering! :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
@Andy: No problem, that was only just to having at least something to start. I don't know much about the topic yet.

Well, what I do. I have not too many hobbies, mostly things I can do alone and comfortable at home. I like reading (books mostly fantasy, sometimes thriller / sci-fi; but also much just reading around in the internet, about philosophy / politics / society / only few history / other hobbies), I spend much time in front of PC for reading (see before) / playing games (also very likely) / discussing in forums / sometimes writing articles (I am leading a hardware section of an internet gaming community). Sometimes I also watch TV, but not like I would hang in front of TV all day. When I am on PC, I have music on nearly all the time, having also spend already some euros in adequate headphones etc. (though nothing unreasonable). Here I have different taste according to mood; I both like metal (though not everything) and more classic music (also not everything). What I don't really listen to is pop / hip hop.

Apart from Philosophy / Politics etc. I have also an interest in Informatics and Hardware. That also leads me to my studies at university: Business Informatics. Informatics was also one of my better subjects at school, together with Philosophy and Social Sciences. My weak subjects were sports and also actually arts and musics, another thing what makes me wonder when I read some INFPs profiles. I actually am not very creative in arts and so on, but more in other subjects maybe. Chemistry and Physics did not bother me very much either. In Mathematics I was very good always when I was younger, but in last years lost a bit the touch with it. Sometimes I pulled off still very good grades in it, sometimes only average, but never really fail. In languages I was mostly good to ok; in my mother language (german) I can write with very very few mistakes, but still got only average grades, don't really know why, probably because the topics we had did not fit me. In English with a bit more mistakes, but still better than most of my school mates (did english as advanced course instead of basic, having written mostly between 2-3, more near to 2 (german grades are 1-6, 1 being best).

You can say I was better in subjects I had real interest and fun in. I could have done some subjects better if I would have more interest in them I feel, but when things make me bored or I don't bother much with them I have problems giving more effort into them than necessary - average grades were enough for me then. Usually had no trouble listening to teachers, so I mostly came through without learning too much at home, and when I learn, then mostly very fast. But usually I am VERY lazy when it comes to learning, putting it on hold to the last second.

Why I do things that I do? I actually cannot really explain it. I find many things interesting which just are unordinary, things that most people maybe don't (does not have to fit to everything, but just many things). Some interesting persons fascinating me. I like thinking about strange ideas, sometimes just seeing strange things in just usual things. On the other hand I often have little interest in things what most other people will pay attention to. I find it hard to talk with people about usual small talk topics like the weather. I don't like much superficial things in general.

edit: Oh, there is already another answer while I have written something :)

Well, I hope you can do something with it too, otherwise just ask :) Yes, I am aware that T/F is different than being intellectual. But many people, mostly those which don't know me better, probably see me as a Thinker and then you nearly tend to believe that too. But after some thinking about it (somehow ironic :p) I came to the conclusion I am really more of an F type, because I tend to decide things more on my feelings, wishes, idea(l)s and aims rather on what seems possible / reasonable. I just don't show it mostly. On the other hand, people also sometimes see me as rather eccentric.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
@Andy: No problem, that was only just to having at least something to start. I don't know much about the topic yet.

Well, what I do. I have not too many hobbies, mostly things I can do alone and comfortable at home. I like reading (books mostly fantasy, sometimes thriller / sci-fi; but also much just reading around in the internet, about philosophy / politics / society / only few history / other hobbies), I spend much time in front of PC for reading (see before) / playing games (also very likely) / discussing in forums / sometimes writing articles (I am leading a hardware section of an internet gaming community). Sometimes I also watch TV, but not like I would hang in front of TV all day. When I am on PC, I have music on nearly all the time, having also spend already some euros in adequate headphones etc. (though nothing unreasonable). Here I have different taste according to mood; I both like metal (though not everything) and more classic music (also not everything). What I don't really listen to is pop / hip hop.

Apart from Philosophy / Politics etc. I have also an interest in Informatics and Hardware. That also leads me to my studies at university: Business Informatics. Informatics was also one of my better subjects at school, together with Philosophy and Social Sciences. My weak subjects were sports and also actually arts and musics, another thing what makes me wonder when I read some INFPs profiles. I actually am not very creative in arts and so on, but more in other subjects maybe. Chemistry and Physics did not bother me very much either. In Mathematics I was very good always when I was younger, but in last years lost a bit the touch with it. Sometimes I pulled off still very good grades in it, sometimes only average, but never really fail. In languages I was mostly good to ok; in my mother language (german) I can write with very very few mistakes, but still got only average grades, don't really know why, probably because the topics we had did not fit me. In English with a bit more mistakes, but still better than most of my school mates (did english as advanced course instead of basic, having written mostly between 2-3, more near to 2 (german grades are 1-6, 1 being best).

You can say I was better in subjects I had real interest and fun in. I could have done some subjects better if I would have more interest in them I feel, but when things make me bored or I don't bother much with them I have problems giving more effort into them than necessary - average grades were enough for me then. Usually had no trouble listening to teachers, so I mostly came through without learning too much at home, and when I learn, then mostly very fast. But usually I am VERY lazy when it comes to learning, putting it on hold to the last second.

Why I do things that I do? I actually cannot really explain it. I find many things interesting which just are unordinary, things that most people maybe don't (does not have to fit to everything, but just many things). Some interesting persons fascinating me. I like thinking about strange ideas, sometimes just seeing strange things in just usual things. On the other hand I often have little interest in things what most other people will pay attention to. I find it hard to talk with people about usual small talk topics like the weather. I don't like much superficial things in general.

edit: Oh, there is already another answer while I have written something :)

Well, I hope you can do something with it too, otherwise just ask :) Yes, I am aware that T/F is different than being intellectual. But many people, mostly those which don't know me better, probably see me as a Thinker and then you nearly tend to believe that too. But after some thinking about it (somehow ironic :p) I came to the conclusion I am really more of an F type, because I tend to decide things more on my feelings, wishes, idea(l)s and aims rather on what seems possible / reasonable. I just don't show it mostly. On the other hand, people also sometimes see me as rather eccentric.

Thanks, I can see you put some effort into that nice long post. I've been shifting through it to see what comes out. You don't seem to connect with people easily, with the lack of small talk and so on, but you do say that you use subjective values as part of decision making a lot. That speaks to me of Fi, and I'm also getting the impression that it is dominant over Te. At this point I'm not goping to try and say whether Fi is primary or auxillary.

We still need to determine your percieving preference. As your judging appears to be introverted, percieving must be extroverted, which gives the possibilities of Se or Ne. here How do you perfer to learn? Do you find it easiest to pick up new skills when working with something you can physically do or see - something you can take a part or pick up and examine? When learning a new subject to you find diagrams and models to be a great aid, or just something you look at latter?

One last question, what would you say are your weaknesses, you things you are not so good at? I ask because this information can help place the weakest functions. For example, you mentioned before that you often leave things until the last moment, which could be consistent with the weak Te theorised earlier.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
@Andy: Thank you :)

Hm, how do I learn... well, I think I can safely say that things like diagrams, mind-maps and all those stuff you bring in an visible form did not help me much. I rarely liked doing such things. Trying to understand them is for me sometimes more confusing than not using them at all. When I learn, then mostly by just listening in lessons, by reading things in text-form and playing things through in my head. When I have to do some presentation, I will probably just have some plain written notes. If I would do some visual model or so, then I would try to make it as easy as possible.

Doing things by examine is helpful for me sometimes, maybe often. I don't do it always though when I am lazy with it.

Weaknesses are not easy :/ Well, I am quite weak at sports, I am also not great in doing things with hands, many things of that physical stuff you could say. Quite relating to that "leave things until the last moment"-stuff I could say I am not shining when it comes to the daily tasks in general, so tidying up my room and so on. Also according to what I said to the visual models, I am not very good when I have to draw / paint things in general.

I sure have more weaknesses, but I don't know for what kind of things I could look for right now. Do you have maybe some hints?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
@Andy: Thank you :)

Hm, how do I learn... well, I think I can safely say that things like diagrams, mind-maps and all those stuff you bring in an visible form did not help me much. I rarely liked doing such things. Trying to understand them is for me sometimes more confusing than not using them at all. When I learn, then mostly by just listening in lessons, by reading things in text-form and playing things through in my head. When I have to do some presentation, I will probably just have some plain written notes. If I would do some visual model or so, then I would try to make it as easy as possible.

Doing things by examine is helpful for me sometimes, maybe often. I don't do it always though when I am lazy with it.

Weaknesses are not easy :/ Well, I am quite weak at sports, I am also not great in doing things with hands, many things of that physical stuff you could say. Quite relating to that "leave things until the last moment"-stuff I could say I am not shining when it comes to the daily tasks in general, so tidying up my room and so on. Also according to what I said to the visual models, I am not very good when I have to draw / paint things in general.

I sure have more weaknesses, but I don't know for what kind of things I could look for right now. Do you have maybe some hints?

No painting, drawing, hobbycrafts. sport or use of pictures... I can't see much Se here at all. As far as I can tell tell, your first two functions are Fi and Ne. If you are a quiet person, as you seem to suggest, INFP matches as far as I can tell. Don't get too caught up in trying to match yourself to the descriptions of INFPs you can will find on the net. They just show typial ways that the functions can manifest - there are others, especially for people raised in different environments.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Thank you very much that you took the time to help me with that :) It makes me feel a bit safer with that. It really seems to fit me best in comparison to the other types so far as I can tell. But I think I will not stop my research here already and will follow other discussions at the forum here :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not at odds with being an INFP - rather these things are somewhat typical. Introverted Feeling is a rational function that reasons and evaluates. Feeling does not equal emotion. It does not make a person an emotional basket case, unreasonable, unintelligent, irrational or nonsensical to be a Feeler. Obviously, our criteria for judging makes perfect sense to us, or we wouldn't use it, right? Instead of dry logic, it tends to be a reasoning process which is preoccupied with less clearcut issues, such as morality and emotion and what is good and bad; this leads to the "value based" reasoning angle. Feeling does not mean you are necessarily emotionally expressive also, although Feelers often describe feeling a very full range of emotion.

Many, many, many INFPs complain that the profiles are a bit too fuzzy wuzzy and sicky sweet. While I think most of us identify with having a pretty good capacity for empathy and understanding, I don't think that we all necessarily exhibit those traits in the usual fashion. Introverted feeling, being introverted, often does have a stronger sense of itself over other people.

Anyway, I hope that cleared up some of the confusion. As you learn more about the functions, it helps remove some of the misleading connotations that words like "feeling" have.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Your words helped me actually very much. I think I can identify with what you said very well :) Maybe I am also a bit selling my own feeling capabilities under their worth sometimes.