User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    And, so died the mystic as it killed enlightenment.
    And of course there is mysticism based on belief, and mysticism based on reason. And surprisingly they are not so dissimilar.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And of course there is mysticism based on belief, and mysticism based on reason. And surprisingly they are not so dissimilar.
    MBTI? Religion? Religion of MBTI?

MBTI : Clavicula Salomonis
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Do you [Wildcat] talk like that in real life? Must be tough keeping it up all day.
    Wildcat has discovered his own voice.

And his voice is distinctive and lucid and recognised by all as Wildcat's.

So I am surprised you would snipe at such an achievement. I would have thought you would like to emulate it.

Wildcat has discovered his own voice.

And his voice is distinctive and lucid and recognised by all as Wildcat's.

So I am surprised you would snipe at such an achievement. I would have thought you would like to emulate it.
    careful, your fi is leaking
    Hello

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I hear time after time that MBTI is only a set of logical groupings, it's not scientifically proven, you can't use it to dogmatically, etc. I then hear you need to consider the nuances of how the functions may be ordered, how strong they are etc.

My question is this - and I speak from the standpoint with no experience in research - why can't it be proven? At least in some form, fashion, or respect. Has nobody ever tried? Are there difficulties in running surveys or experiments to determine accuracy of the profiles? Do the studies show flaws and that it doesn't work (that we don't hear about)? There seems to be a large body of information out there, but always "no proof". Is there anything in the field of psychology that can be proven?

If there is no proof that it works, and people don't believe in it, then why are we all here?
    Curious about psychological profilers?... >>>Dr_Haight@yahoo.com<<<... Don't forget to ask which agency he is doing the profiling for!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

If there is no proof that it works, and people don't believe in it, then why are we all here?
    It can't be proven that Zeus and Poseidon exist, anymore than fairies can be proven to exist, and even a teapot orbiting the Sun lacks proof.

So you can see it is not prudent to believe anything without proof or evidence.

And MBTI was based on the book, "Personality Types". And even the author of this book says that it is not based on evidence.

Therefore it is not prudent to believe in or practise MBTI.

Alchemy is not based on evidence and astrology is not based on evidence, just as MBTI is not based on evidence.

However we do have freedom of religion so we are free to believe anything we like.

And we are free to believe anything without evidence. So we might choose to believe in Zeus or Poseidon, fairies, the orbiting teapot, alchemy, astrology or even MBTI - bless our cotton white socks.

victor, do you take pride in taking responsibility and being in charge?
    Hello

MBTI
    INTJ

I hear time after time that MBTI is only a set of logical groupings, it's not scientifically proven, you can't use it to dogmatically, etc. I then hear you need to consider the nuances of how the functions may be ordered, how strong they are etc.

My question is this - and I speak from the standpoint with no experience in research - why can't it be proven? At least in some form, fashion, or respect. Has nobody ever tried? Are there difficulties in running surveys or experiments to determine accuracy of the profiles? Do the studies show flaws and that it doesn't work (that we don't hear about)? There seems to be a large body of information out there, but always "no proof". Is there anything in the field of psychology that can be proven?

Psychologists are the witch doctors of science. They know what makes sense and what doesn't and not why.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

It can't be proven that Zeus and Poseidon exist, anymore than fairies can be proven to exist, and even a teapot orbiting the Sun lacks proof.

So you can see it is not prudent to believe anything without proof or evidence.
    Proof? You can't handle the proof.

Wouldn't it be a total kick in the nuts if it turned out the believers believed for a reason.

And yet, all believers do have some reason for believing.

And you're willing to assert all available reasons to be corrupt?

Apparently yes. In which case, for shame! Whatever it is your offering as a positive alternative does not need to prove itself by denying all else.

Unless you're in the business of refusing to identify with descriptions. Which is to say, glorifying the mystique of mystery and the value of unknowing.

So, what's the positive part of that again?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr