User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think you are having yourself on. You don't understand distinctions or cultural difference. Yet here you are holding forth on an international forum.

It reminds me of your State Department that started a war in the Middle East and no one could speak Arabic.

Blackmail, our friend from Paris, calls it cultural imperialism. But really it is the perfect insult.
    Colonial elitism.....

Ah, and Blackmail!, another king of pretension.

I am a savage, you shall enlighten me....

And you wonder why we look at you askance.
    And, so, I wonder no more.

PS - Mr. Aussie, I'm Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    As for my anoymity invalidating what I say.........

As I said from the start of our conversation, my tangible indentification(s) doesn't really explain who I am. Whether you respect that or not, doesn't matter, as who I am, and how I see the world, I present with honesty.
    I just don't feel that tangibles of my self is all that important to anyone understanding who I am. In fact, it will limit how openly I share my views on TypeC as I am then bound to my tangible identity (consequences to my professional identity, which I'm rationally guarding).

You don't have the same consequences (confirmed by a google search of you). And, you somehow believe that the tangibles of your identity makes you more real on this forum. I can respect that difference in outlook.
    Can you respect mine?
    No.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I know this is getting off topic but the discussion here is interesting. Getting away from referring to a particular person, how often do you think this happens - where tertiary is emphasized over the auxiliary, or auxiliary is emphasized over dominant (if that's possible)? What are its effects?
    I think it happens a lot. If another function is emphasized above the dominant, you become a different type.

The effect of leading with two introverted functions typically results in overdependence upon internal values and becoming totally out of touch with the external world. This happens when an I type has a poor secondary E function. (See Victor, Fi+Ni.)

The effect of leading with two extroverted functions typically results in overdependence upon external validation and no sense of internal self and what's subjectively important. This happens when an E type has a poor secondary I function. (See Little Linguist, Te+Ne ESTJ or Ne+Te ENFP, depending on whose interpretation you believe.) Note that when the auxiliary function is dropped, the dominant+tertiary mirror the dominant+tertiary from the type that shares only your first letter, except inverted.

For another example, ENTPs with poor auxiliary Ti come off as Ne+Fe, which most often looks like Narcissistic Personality Disorder. With no sense of self by which to orient internally, they become totally dependent upon external validation from others and rather resemble childish ESFJs. (The ESFJ with poor auxiliary Si would look like Fe+Ne, and have a similar problem.)

When I was younger, I don't think I perceived the value of introverted intuition at all. The outer world taught me that thinking and sensing were more important or at least socially acceptable, and I think it drove me into acting in a way that did not align with my type (more ISTJish). It wasn't until I took the MBTI assessment and begun to understand myself a bit more that my career, relationships with others, etc. began to take off.
    Many people are so immersed in the influence of the dominant function that they don't even recognize how heavily it affects their perspectives. I think of the dominant as a pair of contact lenses that you don't know you're wearing, and the auxiliary as your favorite pair of glasses to consciously look through. As you get older you'll learn to look through the tertiary glasses sometimes too, and occasionally even the inferior (but this pair is dusty and hard to see through, and rarely gets picked up anyway.)

Whenever I explain Ni to INTJs, for instance, their first reaction is invariably Te-oriented disbelief. They don't understand that the abilities and perspectives that result from Ni are anything special or out of the ordinary, because the dominant function's values and ideas are so incredibly obvious to them. Often the response from any type upon hearing a description of his dominant function is: "Well of course I see things that way; that's just common sense. Doesn't everyone?"

The dominant is just seen as the default perspective--how could anyone not see things that way? We are conscious of the coloration placed on our perspective when we use the auxiliary and tertiary functions, but the dominant is so ingrained into our perspectives that it's hard to even realize it's coloring what we see.

I suspect that, if you are indeed an INTJ, Ni has always heavily influenced your perspectives, but you'd never realized what it was or consciously noticed its effects before studying typology.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    No.

Fair enough, dinkum.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

Am sorry,but by reading the posts,I think this thread has de-railed...
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    Am sorry,but by reading the posts,I think this thread has de-railed...
    I was thinking crashed, and burned, like the Hindenburg...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Looks like somebody clicked this button:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think it happens a lot. If another function is emphasized above the dominant, you become a different type.

The effect of leading with two introverted functions typically results in overdependence upon internal values and becoming totally out of touch with the external world. This happens when an I type has a poor secondary E function. (See Victor, Fi+Ni.)

The effect of leading with two extroverted functions typically results in overdependence upon external validation and no sense of internal self and what's subjectively important. This happens when an E type has a poor secondary I function. (See Little Linguist, Te+Ne ESTJ or Ne+Te ENFP, depending on whose interpretation you believe.) Note that when the auxiliary function is dropped, the dominant+tertiary mirror the dominant+tertiary from the type that shares only your first letter, except inverted.

For another example, ENTPs with poor auxiliary Ti come off as Ne+Fe, which most often looks like Narcissistic Personality Disorder. With no sense of self by which to orient internally, they become totally dependent upon external validation from others and rather resemble childish ESFJs. (The ESFJ with poor auxiliary Si would look like Fe+Ne, and have a similar problem.)

Many people are so immersed in the influence of the dominant function that they don't even recognize how heavily it affects their perspectives. I think of the dominant as a pair of contact lenses that you don't know you're wearing, and the auxiliary as your favorite pair of glasses to consciously look through. As you get older you'll learn to look through the tertiary glasses sometimes too, and occasionally even the inferior (but this pair is dusty and hard to see through, and rarely gets picked up anyway.)

Whenever I explain Ni to INTJs, for instance, their first reaction is invariably Te-oriented disbelief. They don't understand that the abilities and perspectives that result from Ni are anything special or out of the ordinary, because the dominant function's values and ideas are so incredibly obvious to them. Often the response from any type upon hearing a description of his dominant function is: "Well of course I see things that way; that's just common sense. Doesn't everyone?"

The dominant is just seen as the default perspective--how could anyone not see things that way? We are conscious of the coloration placed on our perspective when we use the auxiliary and tertiary functions, but the dominant is so ingrained into our perspectives that it's hard to even realize it's coloring what we see.

I suspect that, if you are indeed an INTJ, Ni has always heavily influenced your perspectives, but you'd never realized what it was or consciously noticed its effects before studying typology.
    Thank you. Your comments are most enlightening and give me some things to think about. I've read a lot of books on this stuff but never Jung and seem to be missing some depth of perspective here. Let me know if you have any other suggestions besides that.

I am indeed an INTJ. That much I know for certain.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Thank you. Your comments are most enlightening and give me some things to think about. I've read a lot of books on this stuff but never Jung and seem to be missing some depth of perspective here. Let me know if you have any other suggestions besides that.

I am indeed an INTJ. That much I know for certain.
    Read Lenore Thomson's Personality Type: An Owner's Manual.

If you don't want to buy it, there's a site with some pretty good info on it and some excerpts here:

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i'll just say this once more: The cringe is strong with victor's posts