• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The INFP Rite of Passage

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
It seems like I should question my type. It's a little disconcerting that I decided on INFP, enneagram 4, etc. without much deliberation at all. Maybe I haven't been around long enough to make a strong impression, but I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.

Before it is pointed out, I'm well aware that, by questioning my type, I may in fact be confirming it. :D If no one sees any problem with the way I am typed, I will just take it as a sign and move along having demonstrated and proven my INFPness. :yes:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I think your type is proven by your "Location" alone :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think INFP suits you well, as long as you don't put yourself in a box and limit yourself to the INFP descriptions. As you grow, you may find out that perhaps INFP isn't the best fit type for you. I've seen it happen.

I wouldn't rule out INFJ or ENFP with you, though.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I think INFP suits you well, as long as you don't put yourself in a box and limit yourself to the INFP descriptions. As you grow, you may find out that perhaps INFP isn't the best fit type for you. I've seen it happen.

What he said. ^

Don't limit yourself. Or take this crap too seriously.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I think your type is proven by your "Location" alone :D

Good point. :D

I wouldn't rule out INFJ or ENFP with you, though.

Thanks for reminding me to not box myself in. I agree that INFP fits me best and I don't have to be the total embodiment of the archetype to qualify as one. Because Ni and Ti are my least used functions, I'm pretty sure I'm not INFJ. I'm not going to exclude the possibility though. I'm glad to have the alternative perspective. :)

Those would be my first two guesses after INFP. I think your original name was a very INFP thing to do.

Yeah, the identity uncertainty is a tipoff, huh? :rolli:

What he said. ^

Don't limit yourself. Or take this crap too seriously.

Biaxident, it's ridiculous how awesome you are. :thumbup:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see anything in your posts that totally contradicts INFP for you. No one fits a profile perfectly.

I only searched for my type briefly upon getting into MBTI, and I've been solidly stamped as INFP ever since. Not all of us have identity crises :D

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems like I should question my type.

Sometimes I think that if you're cock sure of your type, you can't be INFP :D
And deliberation can be a bit misleading. The more you get into all of this thing and the more you know about different types, what those 4-letter words represent etc., the more your test results will be influenced.
I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable with and what suits you - I agree with about 50% INFP and 50% INTP (and the last time I took one of these online tests, although it was a fairly comprehensive one, Ti came first and Fi only third or forth). Maybe it's that you're INFP in some respects but not in others, which would only seem reasonable.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I don't see anything in your posts that totally contradicts INFP for you. No one fits a profile perfectly.

I only searched for my type briefly upon getting into MBTI, and I've been solidly stamped as INFP ever since. Not all of us have identity crises :D

Heh. Good to know we're not all like that, I suppose. ;)

Sometimes I think that if you're cock sure of your type, you can't be INFP

See, that's what I was worried about. I clicked with the INFP profile very quickly and don't test as anything else when I'm honest (except once I was ISFP - an idea I entertain sometimes when I'm able to forget how damn clumsy I am :D).

And deliberation can be a bit misleading. The more you get into all of this thing and the more you know about different types, what those 4-letter words represent etc., the more your test results will be influenced.
I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable with and what suits you - I agree with about 50% INFP and 50% INTP (and the last time I took one of these online tests, although it was a fairly comprehensive one, Ti came first and Fi only third or forth). Maybe it's that you're INFP in some respects but not in others, which would only seem reasonable.

Noted. I'd say the more I understand, the less likely it seems that I could be anything other than INFP. It's a little discouraging because I thought that learning about typology would lead me to consider other possibilities. Can I ask why you still prefer INFP despite your high Ti and sometimes lowish Fi? What tips the 50/50 balance in INFP's favor?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In college I played around with INFJ, INTJ, and INTP a small bit, but for the most part I've never really questioned my type. Once I read that INFPs are like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz I knew the profile had me pegged. Just like the tin man, INFPs are on a journey to find a heart. We are unable to cry for fear of rusting our armor. Yet, like the tin man, our heart is within us all along.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're totally an INFJ. Look at how awesome your Ni is! :D ;)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Strange question: Do you personify objects? That can be a very Fi dominant trait. I'm not sure if it is just in speech for amusement, but most ones I know do it.

some examples: "I think this computer doesn't like me" "Word keeps disagreeing with me" "the printer ate my paper" "peppermint chocolates are evil"

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Strange question: Do you personify objects? That can be a very Fi dominant trait. I'm not sure if it is just in speech for amusement, but most ones I know do it.

some examples: "I think this computer doesn't like me" "Word keeps disagreeing with me" "the printer ate my paper" "peppermint chocolates are evil"

:rofl1:

Doesn't everyone do that? :laugh:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just like the tin man, INFPs are on a journey to find a heart.

I :wubbie: this.

I feel like finding that soft side ascribed to INFPs in profiles was a bit of a journey for me...and it wasn't until I got some perspective on the past and comments from people outside my family that I realized I was a Feeler and not a Thinker. INTP never felt right, and I wrote off MBTI for that reason because I had only a shallow understanding ("Only 16 personality types? How stupid!"). When I returned to MBTI years later, I understood myself and my motivations better, and it was clear I was a Feeler. There was only a little more info needed to confirm that, and then I was sure.

Like you Jane, the more I read now, the more I see myself as FiNe. Any doubts I had before was from limited understanding.

I do enjoy calling objects "evil". Deep down, I mean whoever designed it must be a sadist, because it's frustrating the crap out of me. :tongue:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Does putting a bag down on a table and telling it to "Stay", count?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It seems like I should question my type. It's a little disconcerting that I decided on INFP, enneagram 4, etc. without much deliberation at all. Maybe I haven't been around long enough to make a strong impression, but I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.

Before it is pointed out, I'm well aware that, by questioning my type, I may in fact be confirming it. :D If no one sees any problem with the way I am typed, I will just take it as a sign and move along having demonstrated and proven my INFPness. :yes:

Simple test. What did you feel/think when you found out you were an INFP?

a) Wow! I'm special and unique!
b) Oh no! My life sucks!
c) Hmmm, I'm not sure. Perhaps I need a second opinion.
d) No way! That's not me at all!

If your answer is a), then you're definitely an INFP since no other type will enjoy being one :)

If your answer is b) then you're very likely an INFP

If your answer is c) then there's a good chance you're an INFP

If your answer is d) then you're just in denial :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I thought the INFP rite of passage was when you bought your first cat/kitten.